The Official "Empire" thread

Bailey

Stylistically it is one of the best done shows on air period. The fact that it features an entirely African American lead cast defies the notion that well executed programs featuring people of color do not perform on a large scale.

Some of the best moments on the show include guest appearances, by everyone and anyone in popular African American pop culture. Guest star appearances from Naomi Campbell, Gladys Knight, Cuba Gooding Jr, adds to the excitement of the show's highlights.

I love what this show is doing, it's refreshing to see a show that showcases the diversity of the real world. I must say I am not drawn to Terrence Howard, I find his acting one dimensional and painfully predictable. Taraj as Cookie adds all the spice this show gets, and I hope they find better characters than guest stars to anchor the show in a greater capacity.

Its a great soap opera, played out on a grandiose scale, I like the daring nature behind the show's premise, thus far it truly lives up to the title "Empire" ....there's some great humor in the play between Cookie and Leon's current wife, Anika, I live for their bitch fest :lol: and I love the fact Gaboury Sidibe's chracter is named "Becky" :lmao:

The cosby show and a different world averaged 28 mil viewers a week so its surprising that hollywood still thinks black actors can't draw crowds. I just hope they evolve Taraji's character and give her stronger material than just those ratchet one liners.   I hope Terrance does not bring this show down.  All the talk this week was about him wanting to use the N word next season.   :sigh:  Maybe Janet and Debbie Allen reunite next season.  I see she directed last nights episode.  Poor Malik  :tear:

The cosby show and a different world averaged 28 mil viewers a week so its surprising that hollywood still thinks black actors can't draw crowds. I just hope they evolve Taraji's character and give her stronger material than just those ratchet one liners.   I hope Terrance does not bring this show down.  All the talk this week was about him wanting to use the N word next season.   :sigh:  Maybe Janet and Debbie Allen reunite next season.  I see she directed last nights episode.  Poor Malik  :tear:

OMG, Malik Yoba's character last night was a complete plot twist. I screamed! 

THAT FINALE WAS EVERRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYTHANG, so many twists & turns.

I think Cookie will evolve, but I highly doubt she'll ever quit the 1 liners, that would be bad business, I mean who else really owns like that, Terrence? HA. Please, she can get as deeper and as more "mature" as they want, I want my 1 liners from her lol, her delivery is perfect.

I knew you'd like it Bu, it's basically Black Dallas lol.

I just finished the finale...I got up out my seat for that fight scene!!!  I been waiting since the first episode for Boo Boo kitty to get dragged!!  And you know Cookie was gonna bring it.

Next season can go anywhere.  I mean its all over the place Jamal might become the gay villain.  Good lort.

• Upvote 1

I'm not here for a lot of the music but overall I like the show. I want more Cookie.

I welped when she went to Jamals place the first time and said "for a queen you sure are dirty" or something :lmao:

Yea Hakeem is everything wrong with Rap & R&B today

But Jamal's music has great moments.....later LOL. But yea overall the music gets better as the show goes along.

Yea Hakeem is everything wrong with Rap & R&B today

But Jamal's music has great moments.....later LOL. But yea overall the music gets better as the show goes along.

Well actually I did quite like Jamals song about hiding his sexuality. That was good. Do they auto-tune his voice though? I prefer his music to Hakeems and Teyanas tbh.

Im trying to follow the grown older men story lines, they be double crossing each other a lot :umm:

The Jamal is played beautifully, the music ...ahhh its like someone else said here, it's pretty much everything wrong with modern African American music

Well actually I did quite like Jamals song about hiding his sexuality. That was good. Do they auto-tune his voice though? I prefer his music to Hakeems and Teyanas tbh.

YES they do, it's a lil more obvious in some songs, but yea I digg his music more than anyone else on the show (that's a staple on the show anyway), Estelle's duet with him might be my fravorite song on the show this season and a few others.

I wanted to like the finale but it didn't do it for me. It was too much and needed more focus. Still interested in how it all turns out.

The only part I didn't like was when Jamal got up on that damn rap battle. Now Im not the biggest hip hop head in the world, but I have NEVER heard of or seen a rap battle where 1 person raps and the other sings. Loved his voice and what he was saying but damnit I don't buy that that would've been enough to shut that guy up about his homophobia. That scene could've gotten a chop lol.

YES they do, it's a lil more obvious in some songs, but yea I digg his music more than anyone else on the show (that's a staple on the show anyway), Estelle's duet with him might be my fravorite song on the show this season and a few others.

The only part I didn't like was when Jamal got up on that damn rap battle. Now Im not the biggest hip hop head in the world, but I have NEVER heard of or seen a rap battle where 1 person raps and the other sings. Loved his voice and what he was saying but damnit I don't buy that that would've been enough to shut that guy up about his homophobia. That scene could've gotten a chop lol.

It just felt like someone told them they were going to cancel the show, so they put in as many plot points in there as possible.

That rap battle was HORRIBLE.  First, Black Rambo, or whatever his name is had HORRENDOUS bars, and couldn't even rap. He reminded of Silkk Tha Shocker or Lumidee:  just rapping all off beat.  And his stuff was garbage.  He was better off rapping Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

And when Jussie came up there doing his best 8 Mile impersonation, I laughed and rolled my eyes.  It would have been cool if they revealed he could actually rap.  You don't sing at a rap battle.

The music was too much in the finale, and I really wanted to like the fight between Anika and Cookie, but the sound effects ruined it for me.  The only thing missing was the "POW" cut outs that they used to do in those old school Batman shows.  I love a fast paced show, but this reminded me of Scandal at its worst: going for too much shock and awe as opposed to story and character progression.

• Upvote 1

According to her, Lee wanted her to be in it but Fox refused because apparently she's difficult to work with. According to Lee, she made demands during Precious and didn't "play the game" like an Oscar nominee should and that blackballed her. Somethign to do with her not going to the Canens Film Festival to promote Precious. She said she didn't want to go to Cannes though because of her family.

But she hit back to Lee with:

“It wasn’t that I was blackballed like Mr. Daniels said… the phone was ringing and the scripts were coming but the offers that were associated with them made me say ‘I can’t accept that,’” she explained, adding that taking such offers would have sent a negative message to other African-American women. “If we continue to accept these low offers, how do we make a change?” she asked.

all actors and actresses have to play the game, thats just how it is, white black whatever, many many talented stars do films to simply bring in a dollar, even if its not the biggest amount....Monique had a breakout moment with "Precious" but after that whoever manages her didnt do their job. Cookie is just a character, but what the actress does with that character gives the character a "life" Taraj brings a sass and sexiness to Cookie that I don't see coming from Monique, love scenes would be a problem for Monique too for several reasons ....

• Upvote 1

Where are you now in the season? :unsure: I'm on episode 8, Its kinda tough to keep up with much TV my schedule keeps me busy as hell ..and there are way too many shows now, I just dont have the time

Where are you now in the season? :unsure: I'm on episode 8, Its kinda tough to keep up with much TV my schedule keeps me busy as hell ..and there are way too many shows now, I just dont have the time

I just downloaded episode 10 but I can't watch it until Thursday as I'm going away for a couple of days. I need to catch up on Scandal too. 

I just downloaded episode 10 but I can't watch it until Thursday as I'm going away for a couple of days. I need to catch up on Scandal too. 

I'm stuck in rerun syndication land on "Scandal" I only see it now when its on TV, which again is not only a rarity for myself but also reruns, I have no idea where the show is now.....too many to watch :sigh:

and going away for some time beats TV anyday

another scene that instantly comes to mind, Monique could have never pulled off walking in a mink while underneath it sexy lingerie, I dont see it nor would I want to :umm:

that scene was all Taraj :yep:

Haha yeah for sure. I always liked Taraji but I love her after this show.

I'm stuck in rerun syndication land on "Scandal" I only see it now when its on TV, which again is not only a rarity for myself but also reruns, I have no idea where the show is now.....too many to watch :sigh:

and going away for some time beats TV anyday

Aah ok fair enough.

Yeah definitely. I need a peace of mind.

• Upvote 1

It just felt like someone told them they were going to cancel the show, so they put in as many plot points in there as possible.

That rap battle was HORRIBLE.  First, Black Rambo, or whatever his name is had HORRENDOUS bars, and couldn't even rap. He reminded of Silkk Tha Shocker or Lumidee:  just rapping all off beat.  And his stuff was garbage.  He was better off rapping Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

And when Jussie came up there doing his best 8 Mile impersonation, I laughed and rolled my eyes.  It would have been cool if they revealed he could actually rap.  You don't sing at a rap battle.

The music was too much in the finale, and I really wanted to like the fight between Anika and Cookie, but the sound effects ruined it for me.  The only thing missing was the "POW" cut outs that they used to do in those old school Batman shows.  I love a fast paced show, but this reminded me of Scandal at its worst: going for too much shock and awe as opposed to story and character progression.

Yea according too.....the person who plays a main character that will die in the finale....that was asked from the Network as well as a few things in the finale. And I know for a fact that Networks do this kinda stuff all the time with shows, and sometimes that can fuck up a show

YAAAAAAAS that rap battle scene needed to end up on the cutting room floor. And me being the Em stan I am I caught the 8Mile style too lol. I have NEVER EVER EVA!!!! heard of  sangin in a rap battle, I would've SO loved if Jussie could rap, and we didn't know it and he just SLAYED that weak ass rapper. I agree so much on that too that that rapper 's flow makes Wayne & Nicki sound good

LOL I loved the fight tho lol, I loved every min of it lol. 

1 thing I think too is the show started feeling itself during the last part of the writing/filming for better or worst, they did the filming in 3 seperate times, and this 3rd time for the finale itself was only a few weeks to maybe a month ago so I think with that time frame it REALLY  was influenced by it's impact.

Yea according too.....the person who plays a main character that will die in the finale....that was asked from the Network as well as a few things in the finale. And I know for a fact that Networks do this kinda stuff all the time with shows, and sometimes that can fuck up a show

YAAAAAAAS that rap battle scene needed to end up on the cutting room floor. And me being the Em stan I am I caught the 8Mile style too lol. I have NEVER EVER EVA!!!! heard of sangin in a rap battle, I would've SO loved if Jussie could rap, and we didn't know it and he just SLAYED that weak ass rapper. I agree so much on that too that that rapper 's flow makes Wayne & Nicki sound good

LOL I loved the fight tho lol, I loved every min of it lol.

1 thing I think too is the show started feeling itself during the last part of the writing/filming for better or worst, they did the filming in 3 seperate times, and this 3rd time for the finale itself was only a few weeks to maybe a month ago so I think with that time frame it REALLY was influenced by it's impact.

I agree with most of what you said especially the last paragraph. You can tell when shows were/are being influenced by the reactions they got. When the fans of Sleepy Hollow went nuclear, you can tell that they did a bunch of rewrites for the last few episodes.

I am really looking forward to Season 2. I will probably rewatch all the episodes just before Season 2 is about to premiere.

• Upvote 2

GET.OUT.OF.MY.HEAD!!!

The White Party episode is everything :mellow: Hakeem and Jamal are styled to the fullest, I love how the show is stylized. I also saw Brian Grazer is a co-producer...Brian Grazer is a friend of Janet's if I recall correctly he was on board to produce Janet in the Lena Horne story.....Janet should make a cute lil cameo on this show.

The White Party episode is everything :mellow: Hakeem and Jamal are styled to the fullest, I love how the show is stylized. I also saw Brian Grazer is a co-producer...Brian Grazer is a friend of Janet's if I recall correctly he was on board to produce Janet in the Lena Horne story.....Janet should make a cute lil cameo on this show.

If Raven Symone can bring 'Olivia' back to relevancy, I would love to see Janet breath some like into 'Penny'. I would be all the way here for a Penny vs. Cookie showdown.