The Janet Jackson Charts Thread

Mr. Wonder

Well she tried sometimes we tell ourselves love is all you need the rest will work itself out that’s why the age old question of why do fools fall in love exists. Janet clearly believes in the power of love and most women tend to gravitate toward men that represent their fathers if a woman was loved and taught respect from her dad she ain’t gonna put up with no mess 

10 minutes ago, Black Eagle said:

She wants to be taken care of because she never had much of a father to begin with. That’s why she seeks out men who inevitably end up dominating or controlling her in some way. That’s something she’s probably aware of and needs to contend with before she gets into another relationship or the cycle will just continue. Or God forbid, she’ll pass that down to her son the way her mother passed it down to her.

I think when she takes in the gravity of Wissam and all that happened there she’s not looking for anything but to take care of her child. To me the situation feels a lot like life for many of us you try this doesn’t work you do that and it doesn’t work she went for love hell after that she went for security and let’s not play it like having a billionaires baby is a loss that’s an upgrade albeit with a headache 

57 minutes ago, Black Eagle said:

James was a drug addict two years before she married him. She still chose to marry him. René was jealous and insecure years before she married him. And she even stated she was uncertain the day of the wedding, but still, she chose to marry him. She made bad decisions and though Eissa is a blessing, having a baby with someone like Wissam was not a good idea either. That’s why she’s in a messy situation now with Wissam and custody. Wissam may not have been verbally abusive before the marriage, but he was definitely controlling long before Eissa came along. The way Janet dressed and acted changed dramatically starting in 2013/2014. She should’ve gotten out then. Now that she has Eissa, she’s stuck with Wissam for life. And that’s not all Wissam’s fault.

and like I said who's to say All of the men were like that before she married him. Who told you Rene was jealous and insecure? I need to see a receipt of that interview cause I never heard her say she was unsure of marrying Rene. Nobody said anything was all Wissam's fault. Janet could've married him without letting him control her so yeah that part was on her.

Janet spoke on Rene being insecure shortly after the divorce I remember two things one she specifically said Rene had a problem on the LWNDWY video shoot with Antonio feeling up Janet and the other thing she mentioned it was nice to date without having to pick up the check 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Rewinding the Charts: In 1989, Janet Jackson's 'Miss You Much' Started a Record Top 10 Streak

9/23/2019 by Trevor Anderson

janet-jackson-1989-b-billboard-1548.jpg
Fryderyk Gabowicz/picture alliance via Getty Images
Janet Jackson photographed in Nov. 1989. 

By 1989, Janet Jackson was in unfamiliar territory. Her first two albums, a self-titled 1982 effort and 1984's Dream Street, had fizzled on the charts, but her third LP united the budding singer with producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. The result, Control, topped the Billboard 200 and spun off five top five hits on the Billboard Hot 100.

Yet, the success introduced a new variable to Jackson's fourth album, Rhythm Nation 1814: expectations. "There was pressure to follow that up, and an anticipation of what the next project would be," producer Jimmy Jam told Billboard. "This album was much more under the microscope."

Faced with that weight, how did the trio respond? With "Miss You Much," the first of the Rhythm Nation creations, and though Jimmy Jam reveals that "I got rid of everything [sonically we had done on the Control record]…I wanted it to be fresh and have a new sound," the single imitated Control in one crucial way: It returned Jackson to the Hot 100's top 10, and with it, ignited a record-setting streak in the top tier.

On Sept. 23, 1989, "Miss" entered the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 with a 15-8 surge, and in that moment, kickstarted an unparalleled Billboard achievement. The singer's next 17 Hot 100 entries also all bulldozed their way into the top 10 -- a stretch that encompassed nine years and three albums -- until a featured turn on Shaggy's "Luv Me Luv Me" stalled at No. 76. Among songs with Jackson in the lead role, the stint extended to three more tracks -- "Doesn't Really Matter," "All for You" and "Someone to Call My Lover" -- before "Son of a Gun" misfired at No. 28 in 2001. (As for her last entry before her streak? Sixth Control single "The Pleasure Principle" stopped at No. 14 in 1987.)

The 18-song feat just outdid the then-record held by one of Jackson's biggest pop rivals, Madonna, who dropped the proverbial baton just in time for Jackson to pick it up. One week before "Much" reached the top 10, Madonna logged her 17th straight top 10 with "Cherish," continuing an unbroken pattern that began with 1984's "Borderline" and cemented her as one of the 1980s most sure bets. And then she tripped: The adult-leaning follow-up single "Oh Father" hit a ceiling at No. 20, and the blip allowed Jackson to pass her.

Here's the full roster of Jackson's record-setting relay:

Song Title, Peak Position, Peak Date
"Miss You Much," No. 1 (four weeks), Oct. 7, 1989
"Rhythm Nation," No. 2, Jan. 6, 1990
"Escapade," No. 1 (three), March 3, 1990
"Alright," No. 4, June 2, 1990
"Come Back to Me," No. 2, Aug. 18, 1990
"Black Cat," No. 1 (one), Oct. 27, 1990
"Love Will Never Do (Without You)," No. 1 (one), Jan. 19, 1991
"The Best Things in Life Are Free," with Luther Vandross, BBD and Ralph Tresvant, No. 10, June 13, 1992
"That's The Way Love Goes," No. 1 (eight), May 15, 1993
"If," No. 4, Sept. 11, 1993
"Again," No. 1 (two), Dec. 11, 1993
"Because of Love," No. 10, March 19, 1994
"Any Time, Any Place"/"And On and On," No. 2, June 25, 1994
"You Want This"/"70s Love Groove," No. 8, Dec. 24, 1994
"Scream," with Michael Jackson, No. 5, June 17, 1995
"Runaway," No. 3, Oct. 21, 1995
"Together Again," No. 1 (two), Jan. 31, 1998
"I Get Lonely," featuring Blackstreet, No. 3, May 23, 1998

That incessant hot streak helped Jackson snag other records for her Billboard résumé. The first seven songs listed all appeared on Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 album, helping it become the first -- and only -- album with seven top five Hot 100 hits and just the third of four to register even seven top 10s, following brother Michael's Thriller and Bruce Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A.; Drake's Scorpion joined the club in 2018.

The extensive chart domination fueled Jackson to a No. 2 finish on Billboard's Top Pop Artists of the 1990s decade-ending recap, behind only Mariah Carey.

Now, when several long-standing Billboard records have succumbed to new challengers, changes in music release and consumption trends all but suggest this specific feat should be safe for a long, long time. Besides, of course, the rare career consistency needed to attain such a streak -- this was a nine-year process, after all -- streaming consumption has led to the highest class of superstars having entire albums gobble up more than a dozen spots on the Hot 100 at once. Though that is impressive in its own way, it creates a cycle in which the only artists with enough clout to mount a challenge to Jackson's streak effectively reset the count each album cycle.

Still, even if someone links 19 or 20 top 10s, they'll need to take a page from the Jackson playbook: seamless sonic shifts to keep up with current trends, master the timing and promotion to avoid both over or under-exposure, and, well, rinse and repeat that for nearly a decade. Good luck.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/8530796/janet-jackson-miss-you-much-top-10-streak-hot-100-rewinding-charts

• Upvote 1

Here is a look at the nine artists that have notched at least 200 weeks among all their Hot 100 top 10s:

360, Rihanna
279, Mariah Carey
273, Usher
241, Bruno Mars
235, Drake
225, Madonna
219, Janet Jackson
212, The Beatles
200, Justin Bieber

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/8532935/justin-bieber-200th-week-hot-100-top-10 

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2019 at 6:28 PM, Mr. Wonder said:

Here is a look at the nine artists that have notched at least 200 weeks among all their Hot 100 top 10s:

360, Rihanna
279, Mariah Carey
273, Usher
241, Bruno Mars
235, Drake
225, Madonna
219, Janet Jackson
212, The Beatles
200, Justin Bieber

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/8532935/justin-bieber-200th-week-hot-100-top-10 

Damn Janet did great and Rihanna is the Queen of hits. Madonna done had over 60 releases and she barely got 6 more weeks more than Janet.

On 10/15/2018 at 2:49 AM, Bailey said:

Well she tried sometimes we tell ourselve audacity temp mail origins love is all you need the rest will work itself out that’s why the age old question of why do fools fall in love exists. Janet clearly believes in the power of love and most women tend to gravitate toward men that represent their fathers if a woman was loved and taught respect from her dad she ain’t gonna put up with no mess 

Total R&B weeks - ~830 (estimated as Billboard does not have the full chart runs posted)

2 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

I wonder what criteria they're using. Definitely not album sales or no.1s cause Trailer Stiff shouldn't be right behind Michael and 6 spots above Janet.

22 hours ago, hotboy06 said:

Austin posted it after the article you quoted. :sigh:

too bad I didn't read it with ya red ass :rolleyes: 

7 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

And I just knew his ass would be the one to quote the post and not read. :sigh: :rolleyes:

why is it that i've only been getting into it with light skin hoes this past week. Y'all got some kind of aura that's toxic :coffee: 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, JoeJoe said:

too bad I didn't read it with ya red ass :rolleyes: 

why is it that i've only been getting into it with light skin hoes this past week. Y'all got some kind of aura that's toxic :coffee: 

:rolleyes: I really don't know how you missed it. :rolleyes:

:lmao: You seem to be the common denominator then. :coffee:

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, J. said:

Just think how high she would be if AFY and Damita Jo got the eras they deserved. AFY had at least another major smash.

AFY and Damita Jo were both her fault. She could've resumed the AFY tour later on and she could've toured for Damita Jo but she didn't.

6 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

AFY and Damita Jo were both her fault. She could've resumed the AFY tour later on and she could've toured for Damita Jo but she didn't.

Considering what happened with 9/11 and the Glitter fiasco with Virgin during that era, she pretty much had no choice but to cut it short and as for DJ, after the immense backlash she received that year, a tour would have cost her, not to mention Virgin, A LOT of money!!!! 🤔 The only reason she went back on tour was Discipline was a #1 album and “Feedback” was a sizable hit with Island Def Jam backing her like her previous label use too! 

3 hours ago, Lenzo88 said:

Considering what happened with 9/11 and the Glitter fiasco with Virgin during that era, she pretty much had no choice but to cut it short and as for DJ, after the immense backlash she received that year, a tour would have cost her, not to mention Virgin, A LOT of money!!!! 🤔 The only reason she went back on tour was Discipline was a #1 album and “Feedback” was a sizable hit with Island Def Jam backing her like her previous label use too! 

Overseas was ready for Janet regarding both projects

• 8 months later...

Juice WRLD's 'Legends Never Die' & The 27 Other Albums With Five or More Top 10 Hot 100 Hits

Janet Jackson, 'Control,' 1986-87

After two essentially unheralded albums, Jackson's new sound, courtesy of producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, helped her 1986 breakthrough rally a parade of Hot 100 hits, including the first of 10 career No. 1s.

Top 10s: "What Have You Done for Me Lately," No. 4; "Nasty," No. 3; "When I Think of You," No. 1 (two weeks); "Control," No. 5; "Let's Wait Awhile," No. 2

Janet Jackson, 'Rhythm Nation 1814,' 1989-91

After Janet's fourth album tied the record of seven top 10s set by brother Michael and Bruce Springsteen, she surpassed them: Each of this set's singles reached the top five, an achievement still unmatched. She may have extended her record to eight, as "State of the World" was a top five airplay hit in 1991, but the song was never released as a commercially available single and was therefore ineligible to chart on the Hot 100 under chart rules at the time. 

Top 10s: "Miss You Much," No. 1 (four weeks); "Rhythm Nation," No. 2; "Escapade," No. 1 (three weeks); "Alright," No. 4; "Come Back to Me," No. 2; "Black Cat," No. 1 (one week); "Love Will Never Do (Without You)," No. 1 (one week)

Janet Jackson, 'janet.,' 1993-94

For her next move, Janet pulled a hat trick. Six top 10s from janet. made the pop/R&B superstar the first act to notch five or more top 10 hits from three albums. Of her last 19 Hot 100 entries over the three sets, only one ("The Pleasure Principle") missed the top 10 (and it still rose to No. 14).

Top 10s: "That's the Way Love Goes," No. 1 (eight weeks); "If," No. 4; "Again," No. 1 (two weeks); "Because of Love," No. 10; "Any Time, Any Place"/"And On and On," No. 2; "You Want This"/"70's Love Groove," No. 8

https://www.billboard.com/photos/6738611/albums-five-top-10-hot-100-hits

• Like 1

With So Many Hot 100 Records Falling, Here Are 14 That Have Continued to Hold Strong

Most consecutive Hot 100 entries hitting the top 10: Janet Jackson (18, record set in 1998)

After "The Pleasure Principle," her sixth and final charting single off breakout album Control, peaked at No. 14 on the Hot 100, Janet Jackson went on an absurd run of her next 18 Hot 100 entries (from Rhythm Nation leader "Miss You Much" in 1989 to The Velvet Rope's "I Get Lonely" in 1998) all hitting the top 10. That passed Madonna's record of 17 straight top 10 hits from 1984 to 1989, and was snapped only by Janet's featured appearance on Shaggy's "Luv Me, Luv Me," which peaked at No. 76 later that year. (As a lead artist, Janet wouldn't miss the top 10 until 2001's No. 28-peaking "Son of a Gun [I Betcha Think This Song Is About You].")

Most top five Hot 100 hits from the same album: Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 (seven, record set in 1990)

While Michael Jackson's long-standing record for the most Hot 100 No. 1s from the same album (five, from 1987's Bad) was finally tied in the last decade by Katy Perry's Teenage Dream, sister Janet's similarly historic mark of seven top five hits from her 1989 blockbuster LP Rhythm Nation 1814 -- "Miss You Much," "Rhythm Nation," "Escapade," "Alright," "Come Back to Me," "Black Cat," "Love Will Never Do (Without You)" -- has still stood tall. Teenage Dream, and its six top five hits, has come the closest in the decades since.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/9433090/hot-100-records-still-unbroken-beatles-mariah

• Like 2