Secret video filmed?

Ryan

As said in Dammn Baby, "conversations in a cafe" meant simply that the whole process of putting together an album started with her and Jimmy discussing at a cafe. I'm pretty sure Jimmy half forced her into it lol 

The new movement shit made no sense and still makes no sense. I guess they expected higher sale figures and it would've started to mean something at some point if the era has progressed as they planned. 

The sales were great though for someone that didn't promote and had no mainstream hit. 

• Upvote 1

The video editor better be getting No Sleep cus this shit needs to come out like yesterday. :rolleyes: 

I need the song to be sent to Urban and Rhythmic first. I hate when artists drop the video then release the song to radio 2-3 weeks later.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In Dammn Baby she mentions having your own ID. The first track on Discipline is called ID. She sings about her lane being struck, which is also a topic in song LUV. Obviously the song is not all about LA Reid, but the industry in general, but there is so much shade towards LA in the song if you connect the dots. She didnt write any songs on Discipline (expect an interlude) and basically gave her career on someone else's hands. Now she is saying, don't do it.

It's not like Janet hasn't done songs like this before; she gives the HC fans hints about who and what the song is about, as she knows we are on the loop. "It's not who you think it is".

True tea

LOL, well supposedly Janet called Jimmy. 

Janet's management set the whole thing up. Conversations in a cafe references the initial meeting they had about doing a potential album. Her manager set it up and said that there was no pressure, but that they felt that it would be a good idea for them to meet and if something came out of it great, if not, no big deal. I wonder what happened to all the work Janet was doing pre-JJ and Terry Lewis/post Rodney Jerkins (2009). Unbreakable was recorded in 2014-15. Janet was recording right after the Up Close and Personal Tour, all the way up to the point she finally worked with JJ and Terry in 2014. There's a ton of material that was shelved. She was working heavily with Jean Baptiste and co.

Edited by burnt
  • Upvote 1

Janet's management set the whole thing up. Conversations in a cafe references the initial meeting they had about doing a potential album. Her manager set it up and said that there was no pressure, but that they felt that it would be a good idea for them to meet and if something came out of it great, if not, no big deal. I wonder what happened to all the work Janet was doing pre-JJ and Terry Lewis/post Rodney Jerkins (2009). Unbreakable was recorded in 2014-15. Janet was recording right after the Up Close and Personal Tour, all the way up to the point she finally worked with JJ and Terry in 2014. There's a ton of material that was shelved. She was working heavily with Jean Baptiste and co.

I think Janet took a recording break for awhile during that time. I think she might have considered & even tried a couple times but I honestly think she had a lot of down time. Also I remember Jimmy mentioning how Janet was slightly concerned or self-conscious (for a lack of better terms) about singing some of the notes because she said it had been awhile for her. So I take it as her having been away from singing & exercising her vocals. It's in the article where he mentions After You Fall being the first track they recorded for the album. I'm not saying she didn't try or work with anyone else on anything, I'm just saying I don't think she was being consistent & I don't think she was giving her all. I think she dabbled. 

Side note - Janet not really singing that much outside the studio and also being conscious of her voice has always been interesting to me. I felt I could tell there were moments in the last few albums where she really didn't "go there" or wasn't challenged like Terry & Jimmy are known to do. Also like Rich Harrison would do with her. But it always made me wonder why she doesn't sing loosely & in personal time. I love her voice & understand the dynamic of it but nonetheless...it's always been interesting to me. 

• Upvote 5

I think Janet took a recording break for awhile during that time. I think she might have considered & even tried a couple times but I honestly think she had a lot of down time. Also I remember Jimmy mentioning how Janet was slightly concerned or self-conscious (for a lack of better terms) about singing some of the notes because she said it had been awhile for her. So I take it as her having been away from singing & exercising her vocals. It's in the article where he mentions After You Fall being the first track they recorded for the album. I'm not saying she didn't try or work with anyone else on anything, I'm just saying I don't think she was being consistent & I don't think she was giving her all. I think she dabbled. 

Side note - Janet not really singing that much outside the studio and also being conscious of her voice has always been interesting to me. I felt I could tell there were moments in the last few albums where she really didn't "go there" or wasn't challenged like Terry & Jimmy are known to do. Also like Rich Harrison would do with her. But it always made me wonder why she doesn't sing loosely & in personal time. I love her voice & understand the dynamic of it but nonetheless...it's always been interesting to me. 

The Rich Harrison tracks get a lot of flack for some reason... But he really DID push her to sing out of her usual range, and I appreciated the hell out of that. 

Every track on Damita Jo was sung in that whispery-coo-like voice... but those Rich tracks? He had her singing in her full voice, albeit a bit high. That alone was amazing.

• Upvote 4

The Rich Harrison tracks get a lot of flack for some reason... But he really DID push her to sing out of her usual range, and I appreciated the hell out of that. 

Every track on Damita Jo was sung in that whispery-coo-like voice... but those Rich tracks? He had her singing in her full voice, albeit a bit high. That alone was amazing.

I dont care what anybodyyyyyy says.. "What Can I Say" is Janet' s best fuckin vocal ever.  Not to mention the most "clear" she has ever sounded on a song. Her vocals werent drowned out by the production. I think if ppl heard Janet sound like that more on songs...ppl would give her more vocal credit than the whole "Janet just whispers" comments

• Upvote 5

I dont care what anybodyyyyyy says.. "What Can I Say" is Janet' s best fuckin vocal ever.  Not to mention the most "clear" she has ever sounded on a song. Her vocals werent drowned out by the production. I think if ppl heard Janet sound like that more on songs...ppl would give her more vocal credit than the whole "Janet just whispers" comments

I agree! I think when Janet leans more into her higher vocals she has a beautiful tone. For me songs like What Can I Say, IGL, Lonely, 24Play, ATAP, Night - chorus, Again - VR Tour live, ATAP - SNL, & when she does those background adlibs really shows the beauty in her voice. A lot of people didn't like the Rich Harrison collab, & I can KINDA understand if they felt it was too high or pitchy, but that shit was hot and one of my favorites. But I think she isn't often pushed in that direction often & her lack of desire to really sing in her off time or without a real need was always interesting to me. Some times I think she's not always confident in her voice...but idk. 

• Upvote 2