Secret video filmed?

Ryan

I agree! I think when Janet leans more into her higher vocals she has a beautiful tone. For me songs like What Can I Say, IGL, Lonely, 24Play, ATAP, Night - chorus, Again - VR Tour live, ATAP - SNL, & when she does those background adlibs really shows the beauty in her voice. A lot of people didn't like the Rich Harrison collab, & I can KINDA understand if they felt it was too high or pitchy, but that shit was hot and one of my favorites. But I think she isn't often pushed in that direction often & her lack of desire to really sing in her off time or without a real need was always interesting to me. Some times I think she's not always confident in her voice...but idk. 

Ive spoken to a vocal coach who is an INCREDIBLEEEEEEEEE singer himself. I mean this man can outsing any man AND female vocalist thats in the industry right now and he just so happens to be a Janet fan. So I had asked him what did he think of Janet's vocals on "What Can I Say" and he said she sounds great on the song and that Janet had been needing for someone to push her vocal abilities because she limits herself. Speaking as a vocal coach, he said that she doesnt stretch her range enough and that she is capable of having a louder voice just due to how he has heard her holler,scream and shout during her concerts. He said if you can shout loudly you can sing in that same pattern. And Ive always felt that Jimmy and Terry probably dont push Janet much cus how she sings is her comfort zone. I guess Ive always hated how ppl dont view her as having much of a voice, so I always wanted her to kinda build on what she does have vocally cus it could have only improved over time. 

Edited by janetDAYZ
  • Upvote 1

nah.. Black elderly R&B radio doesn't matter and yew mad about it. Pop radio (the one that matters) won't touch it

Why don't you keep denying that she made a music video ^_^

It does matter because that is her base.   Pop radio matters to artists who fanbases listen to that.  Pop radio won't touch anything with substance regardless of age unless it is Adele who is a machine puppet. Janet is 49 her base overall is in that range.  

I dont care what anybodyyyyyy says.. "What Can I Say" is Janet' s best fuckin vocal ever.  Not to mention the most "clear" she has ever sounded on a song. Her vocals werent drowned out by the production. I think if ppl heard Janet sound like that more on songs...ppl would give her more vocal credit than the whole "Janet just whispers" comments

That is the only song I can't sing out loud.  That note she is in is high to the sky 

• Upvote 1

It does matter because that is her base.   Pop radio matters to artists who fanbases listen to that.  Pop radio won't touch anything with substance regardless of age unless it is Adele who is a machine puppet. Janet is 49 her base overall is in that range.  

That is the only song I can't sing out loud.  That note she is in is high to the sky 

Adele more of an unstoppable powerhouse than an industry puppet. You must have her confused with Whitney Houston or Celine Dion :unsure: 

Even if Janet's base is Black R&B Jammin Oldies, Dammn Baby is not. It's fresh.. It's current.

• Downvote 1

I dont care what anybodyyyyyy says.. "What Can I Say" is Janet' s best fuckin vocal ever.  Not to mention the most "clear" she has ever sounded on a song. Her vocals werent drowned out by the production. I think if ppl heard Janet sound like that more on songs...ppl would give her more vocal credit than the whole "Janet just whispers" comments

I love that song!

• Upvote 1

Were her vocals actually turned down in Scream or is that just a rumor?

I think Jimmy or Terry actually confirmed that they indeed were lowered before the song was finalized.. I would guess that mostly her vocals on the chorus or harmonies were slightly lowered.. What really shined about her parts were the verses... Powerhouse vocal! 

Even on the Immortal World Tour soundtrack they are loud and clear! :)

eh.. its old. We've heard those edgy kinda vocals from her before. We need to hear HER on top of the music more ...like on "What Can I Say"

Point taken... although I can't help but love her "Scream" vocals, I will admit they aren't the only time she's used that "edgy" style before... I just think she emoted like crazy on that track.. It's clear she most likely felt like she really had to step up to plate, so-to-speak, since it was the first time she had ever done a duet with her big bro..

IMO, her best vocals collectively on an entire album is RN1814..

As for singles, Scream (for sure), AFY (also some of her BEST), and LWNDWY... 

• Upvote 2

Adele more of an unstoppable powerhouse than an industry puppet. You must have her confused with Whitney Houston or Celine Dion :unsure: 

Even if Janet's base is Black R&B Jammin Oldies, Dammn Baby is not. It's fresh.. It's current.

Is it really that fresh though?

It's more modern than the other songs on Unbreakable. But fresh enough for a younger audience to listen to an artist over 40? I don't think so. 

Edited by xoney
  • Upvote 1

Love Janet's vocals on "What'll I Do," "Love Will Never Do Without You," "I Get Lonely," and "Gon Be Alright."   When she wants to really prove herself, she really goes all out.   Even after all of these years, I still hate that "What'll I Do" was never released as an official single in the US.

• Upvote 1

I never understood why Janet never wanted to explore or display her vocal range. We know from "He Doesn't Know I'm Alive" and "Love Will Never Do Without You" that she can hit high and low notes. She has amazing harmonies and she is her own best background singer(s) hehe. Also, why is it that Jimmy or Terry never pressed Janet to do more with her voice? It's probably a comfort thing as some people have stated.

I actually, would love to hear her vocal practices and exercises. You'll be quite surprised what a singer can or cannot do when you hear them exercise their voice during trainings.

Edited by Band08Geek
  • Upvote 3

"Scream" vocals tho...

UmBdALbYTmCJ2.gif

*Side note* Every time I see his face, I just flashback to a scene he did in an indie movie where he received a blowjob - a real life blowjob from the actress and he came on camera. Maybe it was a hand job. Either way, when I see him I always think, "Why would someone want to film him doing that?!"

Edited by Band08Geek

*Side note* Every time I see his face, I just flashback to a scene he did in an indie movie where he received a blowjob - a real life blowjob from the actress and he came on camera. Maybe it was a hand job. Either way I see him and then, "Why would someone want to film him doing that?!"

what the hell movie is that?! Never heard of that happening! Lol

Were her vocals actually turned down in Scream or is that just a rumor?

they were turned down she said in some interview on TV when asked about it she said she didnt know why the record came out like that, she's also said that the video for Scream wasnt what she would have done.

Point taken... although I can't help but love her "Scream" vocals, I will admit they aren't the only time she's used that "edgy" style before... I just think she emoted like crazy on that track.. It's clear she most likely felt like she really had to step up to plate, so-to-speak, since it was the first time she had ever done a duet with her big bro..

IMO, her best vocals collectively on an entire album is RN1814..

As for singles, Scream (for sure), AFY (also some of her BEST), and LWNDWY... 

I know yall rave about her vocals on LWNDWY but i was never impressed. I mean i like her low register parts on the first verse but other than that...eh. I love her vocals on "Lonely" ttho!!! Talk about sone production tailored to her voice. No one could do that song like her.  

• Upvote 1

what the hell movie is that?! Never heard of that happening! Lol

The show (sorry not movie) is called Tell me You Love Me. It's actually a hand job, and I just read that the penis was not his real penis, but a prop. Oh well. But I still remember that scene whenever I see his face. UGH, he's so ugly.

I know yall rave about her vocals on LWNDWY but i was never impressed. I mean i like her low register parts on the first verse but other than that...eh. I love her vocals on "Lonely" ttho!!! Talk about sone production tailored to her voice. No one could do that song like her.  

I know what you mean. But still the song has a wide range and is among her widest in a single song. The high C towards the end sealed that deal too.

Lonely is really good. She sounds really nice and I still don't get tired of it!

Edited by BlackCat77
  • Upvote 2

Janet simply doesn't like to over sing and she has said that before.  I still can see a Sade style of an album for Janet like "Soldier of Love" but you guys would raise hell.  But I will say her vocals on "Unbreakable" are my favorite since "The Velvet Rope" and "R.N.". Remember the b side to "You Need Me"?.....she was going off!

• Upvote 2