2017 Oscar movies challenge!

Dal

the wife and I are attempting to watch (almost) every movie nominated for an Oscar this year.. this how far we've gotten so far (checkmark besides the title indicates we've already watched it):

- Arrival ✅ 
- Fences ✅ 
- Hacksaw Ridge ✅ 
- Hell Or High Water ✅ 
- Hidden Figures ✅ 
- La La Land ✅ 
- Lion ✅ 
- Manchester By The Sea ✅ 
- Moonlight ✅ 
- Captain Fantastic ✅ 
- Loving ✅ 
- Jackie
- Florence Foster Jenkins
- Nocturnal Animals
- Kubo And The Two Strings ✅ 
- Moana ✅ 
- My Life As A Zucchini
- The Red Turtle ✅ 
- Zootopia ✅ 
- Silence
- Allied
- Deepwater Horizon
- Doctor Strange
- The Jungle Book ✅ 
- Rogue One ✅ 

this doesn't include any of the forgeign language films, short films (live or animated) or documentaries..

have any of you watched any of these yet and what are some of your favorites?
Edited by Dal

I think my expectations were too high for Arrival.. I saw it for the first time about 2 weeks ago, and while I def thought it was a well-made movie, I didn't think it was as awesome as so many had made it out to be.. I loved the premise but I think the execution wasn't as great as it could've been.. Still liked it, but not as much as I had wanted to..

have you seen any of the other movies nominated for any of the other categories..? Thoughts..?

I think my expectations were too high for Arrival.. I saw it for the first time about 2 weeks ago, and while I def thought it was a well-made movie, I didn't think it was as awesome as so many had made it out to be.. I loved the premise but I think the execution wasn't as great as it could've been.. Still liked it, but not as much as I had wanted to..

have you seen any of the other movies nominated for any of the other categories..? Thoughts..?

honestly no.....I have a movie theater within walking distance from here but I rarely go, and TBH the last film I saw in a theater was "Arrival" thats because with a Bachelor's of Science in Human Biology and a Chemistry minor.....I LOVE SCI-FI......it wasnt' really that much sci-fi...

I guess I will go with my first thought, those tend to be right. which of those films would you recommend? I wanted to go see La La Land

honestly no.....I have a movie theater within walking distance from here but I rarely go, and TBH the last film I saw in a theater was "Arrival" thats because with a Bachelor's of Science in Human Biology and a Chemistry minor.....I LOVE SCI-FI......it wasnt' really that much sci-fi...

I guess I will go with my first thought, those tend to be right. which of those films would you recommend? I wanted to go see La La Land

loved La La Land.. two thumbs up! ????? ..it's like an old school musical flick (i.e. Singing In The Aaron, West Side Story, etc) brought into this generation.. the music is catchy as fuuck imo and the acting is on point, especially Emma Stone.. 

its a movie about Hollywood, and you know how much they love to suck each others' dicks about their own work and accomplishments, so this will most likely win Best Picture I think.. although the other Best Pic noms are great too, but if you wanna be "in the know" when it comes to the actual Oscar telecast (jokes, skits, etc), I'd def recommend watching La La Land..

and we have an 8yo and an almost 2yo, so we don't get to the theater as often as we used to, so tbh I download most of these movies through Pirate Bay (or I've owned them already).. been doing it for years.. maybe give that a try if you wanna see more of these! 

• Upvote 1

loved La La Land.. two thumbs up! ????? ..it's like an old school musical flick (i.e. Singing In The Aaron, West Side Story, etc) brought into this generation.. the music is catchy as fuuck imo and the acting is on point, especially Emma Stone.. 

its a movie about Hollywood, and you know how much they love to suck each others' dicks about their own work and accomplishments, so this will most likely win Best Picture I think.. although the other Best Pic noms are great too, but if you wanna be "in the know" when it comes to the actual Oscar telecast (jokes, skits, etc), I'd def recommend watching La La Land..

and we have an 8yo and an almost 2yo, so we don't get to the theater as often as we used to, so tbh I download most of these movies through Pirate Bay (or I've owned them already).. been doing it for years.. maybe give that a try if you wanna see more of these! 

oh I thank you, I used to download all the screeners, started with "DReamgirls" then it turned into a business because I knew how to make copies and my mother would sell the making 70 bucks a weeks on em....then the screeners stopped leaking.....but I will try to check out these and come back with what i think...Im off work today and Sunday...Sunday I hope I get to the mall and maybe to the movies to see La La land...I wanna see that in a movie theater

oh I thank you, I used to download all the screeners, started with "DReamgirls" then it turned into a business because I knew how to make copies and my mother would sell the making 70 bucks a weeks on em....then the screeners stopped leaking.....but I will try to check out these and come back with what i think...Im off work today and Sunday...Sunday I hope I get to the mall and maybe to the movies to see La La land...I wanna see that in a movie theater

good on you, we wish we could've seen it in the theater also.. and yea for the pst couple years now, every Oscar season all the nominated movies leak their screeners! And I legit mean every nominated movie.

good on you, we wish we could've seen it in the theater also.. and yea for the pst couple years now, every Oscar season all the nominated movies leak their screeners! And I legit mean every nominated movie.

well which do you like? :lol:  they expanded the category of best pic to include more so that means watching more....I used to watch all of the Oscar best pic noms...not anymore havent in years.....theres not that much that moves me....I loved "There Will Be Blood" "The Lives of Others" (German subtitle, won best foreign)  and stuff like "No Country for Old Men" .....seems I like serious drama

This year the best for me that I've seen so far are Hidden Figures, La La Land, Hacksaw Ridge and Captain Fantastic was a surprise hit for me...we love that movie! Zootopia will most likely win best animated movie, as it should bcuz of the moral that comes from it, but Moana was another surprise for me....that shit is pretty great and the music was also catchy as hell! Manchester By Thr Sea wasn't all that good I thought.. too slow paced and i got pretty bored 30 min in..

• Upvote 1

This year the best for me that I've seen so far are Hidden Figures, La La Land, Hacksaw Ridge and Captain Fantastic was a surprise hit for me...we love that movie! Zootopia will most likely win best animated movie, as it should bcuz of the moral that comes from it, but Moana was another surprise for me....that shit is pretty great and the music was also catchy as hell! Manchester By Thr Sea wasn't all that good I thought.. too slow paced and i got pretty bored 30 min in..

hmmm  I will make this my to watch list....right now its on to "Colony" and "Supernatural" ...I'll probably pass out before "Supernatural"

Watched Hidden Figures on the weekend and LOVED it! Such a great movie! 

it really is a great movie.. except Octavia spencer got the oscar nom for acting instead of Taraji P Henson, and while they were both amazing in the movie, I feel like Taraji should've gotten the nod instead..

We watched Moonlight over the weekend.. it was surprisingly good, bcuz I didn't know much about it..

its about a little black boy from Miami who gets bullied and mistreated by a lot of kids and folks around him, including his own mother, bcuz it turns out he's gay.. there's a really sad part when the kid, probably around 8yo, asks a grown man who's been "mentoring" him what does the word "faggot" mean, bcuz that's what his own mom calls him.. it's really interesting to see how the man responds to him and what he had to say.. eventually the movie shows the boy grow into a young adult going to high school and how he has a secret "fling" with an otherwise straight friend.. and then the movie shows them both grow into full adults and how they reconnect etc etc..

not the best of the best picture noms but definitely deserving of that category..

check it out everyone and lmk your thoughts!

• Upvote 1

it really is a great movie.. except Octavia spencer got the oscar nom for acting instead of Taraji P Henson, and while they were both amazing in the movie, I feel like Taraji should've gotten the nod instead..

Taraji definitely should have gotten the nod - I mean that scene where she goes off was SO powerful. 

• Upvote 1

Taraji definitely should have gotten the nod - I mean that scene where she goes off was SO powerful. 

that's the scene that made me say that! Way more powerful than anything Octavia did in the movie, not to say she wasn't great also tho..

Last night my daughter and I watched "The Red Turtle".. it's one of the noms for best animated movie.. it's a dialogue-less film from France, about a man stranded on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere (a la Castaway).. it's produced by Studio Ghibli. It's absolutely beautiful.. my 8yo daughter said before the movie started that she thinks Moana is going to win the best animated oscar, and then once The Red Turtle was over and the credits were rolling (and with tears coming down her face), she turned to me and said she's not so sure about Moana's win anymore..

for the record, I still believe that Zootopia has the win on lock..

nicely made film all the way around, though.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3666024/?ref=m_nv_sr_1

• Upvote 1

Regal Cinema is offering a Best picture marathon special for the nominated films.

Enjoy all Best Picture nominated films of the year at one low price with the Best Film Festival Pass!

• Film Festival runs Fri 2/17 – Sun 2/26
  • Online ticket sales will kick off Wed, 1/25 – bring confirmation code to theatre & pick up your physical pass beginning Friday, 1/27!
  • Purchases at the theatre will begin Friday, 1/27
  • $35 buys you all nominated films for 10 days leading to Oscar Sunday!
  • Best Picture Film Festival Pass allows guest access to select showtimes in the festival schedule
  • Festival pass holders must visit box office each visit to use their badge to secure tickets and seats prior to each show time
  • Non-pass holders may purchase tickets to any Best Picture Film Festival screening at regular admission price

Regal

• Upvote 1

We watched Fences a couple days ago and while Denzel and Viola give amazing performances (really either one could win for acting) the movie felt so much like a stage play (it's an adaption from a play, of course).. So. Much. Dialogue. Pretty much exclusively dialogue. It's a well told story and does a decent job at pulling you in to what's happening on screen, but it's so slow in getting from point A to B, then from point B to point C, and so on.. but again, great acting all the way around! The guy who played Bubba in Forrest Gump has a prominent role as a mentally challenged brother to Denzel's character and is so great in it! I feel like this could've been at least 20 mins shorter and had a more flowing story arc overall, but still was glad to have seen it.

• Upvote 1

We watched Fences a couple days ago and while Denzel and Viola give amazing performances (really either one could win for acting) the movie felt so much like a stage play (it's an adaption from a play, of course).. So. Much. Dialogue. Pretty much exclusively dialogue. It's a well told story and does a decent job at pulling you in to what's happening on screen, but it's so slow in getting from point A to B, then from point B to point C, and so on.. but again, great acting all the way around! The guy who played Bubba in Forrest Gump has a prominent role as a mentally challenged brother to Denzel's character and is so great in it! I feel like this could've been at least 20 mins shorter and had a more flowing story arc overall, but still was glad to have seen it.

I support Denzel in his movies because he doesn't play into "Hollywood"  he says he doesn't have any Hollywood "friends"

• Upvote 1

I just watched Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea.

Moonlight was just fantastic, I was surprised I liked it so much.  The acting was great, the story had more beats than you would have thought.  It has strong gay themes, but it is no way cliché at all.  It is just as much about growing up black and poor, as it is black and gay.  It touches on incarceration in the black community, fatherless homes, drugs, coming of age story.  Just really excellent imo.

Manchester by the Sea was more generic "Oscar movie" imo.  Casey Affleck was good as the tortured father who tries to cope with a life after disaster.  Dealing with grief and blame and new responsibility there were touching moments.

• Upvote 1