OFFICIAL STATE OF THE WORLD TOUR THREAD

jarrylf

I like Island Life way better than STCML. STCML has no vocals period. I don't like when Janet sings like that. She reminds me of Taylor Swift who just talks through all her songs.

I need details

I like Island Life more personally too, and I kinda get what you're saying but STCML has a lot of life and energy in it. The Island Life performance live sounds very good but the highlight moments vocally she doesn't really go into. 

lmao Well, I personally don't know if THIS tour is over or not. But I know other stuff is sure to come clearly. 

But it wouldn't be hard to believe if she goes overseas. A Baby doesn't stop anything. Never stopped, Madonna, Beyonce, JLO, Mariah... and clearly didn't stop Janet from coming back despite of everything else. 

So we comparing Janet to a bunch of women who are comfortable with their celebrity, marketing themselves at any cost and pulling stunts/controversy...oh okay.

Nobody says a baby stops anything but I will say that Janet did this tour because contracts were signed and obligations needed to be met. I personally dont think she wanted to do it but here is hoping she does go to Europe with her baby and all. :)

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

I like Island Life more personally too, and I kinda get what you're saying but STCML has a lot of life and energy in it. The Island Life performance live sounds very good but the highlight moments vocally she doesn't really go into. 

Yeah and that's one of the performances I was talking about when I gave my review of the show back in September how at times it was hard to hear her. She didn't hit the vocal highlights. During the pre-chorus "What better way than to wind down, streets paved in harmony." and the rest of that part you couldn't hear her.

So we comparing Janet to a bunch of women who are comfortable with their celebrity, marketing themselves at any cost and pulling stunts/controversy...oh okay.

Nobody says a baby stops anything but I will say that Janet did this tour because contracts were signed and obligations needed to be met. I personally dont think she wanted to do it but here is hoping she does go to Europe with her baby and all. :)

:rolleyes:

And let's not talk about Madonna who's dumb ass chose to sing Britney's "Toxic" for World Aids Day a few days ago. Social media lit her ass up not to mention she sounded like a cat about to be put down. And the nerve of her to tag Britney lol

Edited by JoeJoe
  • Upvote 1

agreed!!!

Janet paints a vivid picture and vibe of pure bliss. From them vocals, to harmony, to arrangement and melody. This song falls right in line with When I think of you and Escapade, just happy and carefree.

I'm so confused with the Dislike of the Damita Jo project. The critics disapproved (After the SB, FYI all media out lets work together), Fans believed, musically the album was all over the place which is something I do not understand. I assumed the fans appreciated Janet's ability to smash all genre, throw backs and new trends of music. The album was not dated nor cheesy and Janet wanted to experiment which I respect as an artist. I came across Non Janet fans who to this day LOVE the DJ album. I believe this album will be a gem once she is no longer alive which is a shame.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm so confused with the Dislike of the Damita Jo project. The critics disapproved (After the SB, FYI all media out lets work together), Fans believed, musically the album was all over the place which is something I do not understand. I assumed the fans appreciated Janet's ability to smash all genre, throw backs and new trends of music. The album was not dated nor cheesy and Janet wanted to experiment which I respect as an artist. I came across Non Janet fans who to this day LOVE the DJ album. I believe this album will be a gem once she is no longer alive which is a shame.

The critics didn’t like it. There was no concept and it’ll as a whole is it her bottom album. It’s Cheesy and experimenting is fine but DJ & Discipline both went sour when Janet decided not to be Janet and decided to be some pop star

The album isn’t a gem now... it doesn’t and won’t become one when she passes... much like any legend that passes... their bottom of the barrel albums don’t become better 

• Downvote 7

Damita Jo was the result of Janet running out of fresh ideas and being uninspired. As an album, it flowed better than All For You but the songs didn't give me the sonically innovative Janet that I am accustomed to hearing instead it gave me basic and generic. There was no experimentation present on that album, those producers she enlisted could have delivered them songs to any other R&B chick and they could have still worked. 

Up until DJ, Janet has always had a theme going on throughout her projects...with Damita Jo came that pitiful tagline describing the album as 'the different levels of love'....bitch didn't know how to describe it...I guess it's better than 'classic me with a modern twist'...Chile..I can't tell you how happy I am that Unbreakable exist -_-

• Upvote 3

The critics didn’t like it. There was no concept and it’ll as a whole is it her bottom album. It’s Cheesy and experimenting is fine but DJ & Discipline both went sour when Janet decided not to be Janet and decided to be some pop star

The album isn’t a gem now... it doesn’t and won’t become one when she passes... much like any legend that passes... their bottom of the barrel albums don’t become better 

Dream Street and 20 YO are the bottom of the barrel, actually they're underneath the barrel..lol She introduced Strawberry, the album was all about SEX and pleasing her baby on different levels. Is that not a concept? Not to mention she killed SNL and JAY LENO.

• Upvote 1

Take the DJ album we got with all the bonus an unreleased music on DJ and repackage it and there is a great album to be had, making it the best album of that decade for her. Fate just did it in unfortunately. 

I definitely remember Donnie Simpson on the radio here in DC that the DJ album he got to hear at a listening session was not the one released.  I just think they swirched it up a bit after the super bowl.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Janet paints a vivid picture and vibe of pure bliss. From them vocals, to harmony, to arrangement and melody. This song falls right in line with When I think of you and Escapade, just happy and carefree.

I'm so confused with the dislike of the Damita Jo project. The critics disapproved (After the SB, FYI all media out lets work together), Fans believed, musically the album was all over the place which is something I do not understand. I assumed the fans appreciated Janet's ability to smash all genre, throw backs and new trends of music. The album was not dated nor cheesy and Janet wanted to experiment which I respect as an artist. I came across Non Janet fans who to this day LOVE the DJ album. I believe this album will be a gem once she is no longer alive which is a shame.

Some fans are trying to go along with Jimmy just cause he didn't like sharing the studio with other producers and some are just saying it cause it wasn't as successful. I guarantee if that album sold more they would be praising it. Actually as the years passed more fans have appreciated it more than they used to.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Some fans are trying to go along with Jimmy just cause he didn't like sharing the studio with other producers and some are just saying it cause it wasn't as successful. I guarantee if that album sold more they would be praising it. Actually as the years passed more fans have appreciated it more than they used to.

Totally agree. If sales were solid and everyone praised it I believe that the fans would have embraced it and I agree with Csmitty. Janet is a visual artist first and foremost. We are accustom to seeing at least 7 videos if not all 7 on tour per album. DJ was cut short with 2 urban videos (again BET only played Janet and the urban community do not purchase music), we got " I want you" which was nominated by the Grammy performed once, "Don't stop" which was performed 3 times on TV and never played on the radio, JALW which video was scraped and R&B junkie was pulled from radio... We as fans did not have that full Janet experience.

• Upvote 2

Dream Street and 20 YO are the bottom of the barrel, actually they're underneath the barrel..lol She introduced Strawberry, the album was all about SEX and pleasing her baby on different levels. Is that not a concept? Not to mention she killed SNL and JAY LENO.

20, Discipline, DS, JJ, & Damita Jo are the bottom five although 20 YO actually saves itself during the second half of the album. 

She already did that with janet.... DJ just sold sex in a very frank way after a very big backlash. Yuge mistake 

Performance-wise and promo for DJ & 20 was off the chain. But that’s about it

Edited by State of the Game

TRUE: Jimmy was right.. too many cooks and nothing to talk about 

FALSE.. sales don’t matter (hence Unbreakable being Janet’s best album since 2001) 

Edited by State of the Game

Honestly, I think DJ had a very easy to read theme & it literally was a representation of her life at the time. She had JUST went public with JD & they had been dating in honeymoon phase for a while - their entire relationship became REAL while on an island vacation together. Which is why the album predominantly sounds like it's rooted on an island. He was introducing/influencing new sides of herself i.e. Atlanta's strip club culture - which introduced us to Strawberry Bounce. 

The whole album talks about love in a very new found way...those many characters reference was a direct correlation to the fact of her being her FULL self at the time in this new relationship. 

It sounds personally like AFY without the independence of being single. The only songs I'm not crazy about are LYDLM & ANDS - which gets a pass because I love the choreography & like to see it performed live but the song has always been kinda eh. 

Lastly, it has some great ballads IWY & TBME, and ummm Janet & JD both are major fans of oral which has always been rumored (from multiple women he's been with) to be something he's great at - which is why the sex tracks were centered around oral. The song not only had theme it was relevant to where she was. 

• Upvote 1

DJ wasn’t bad.. not her best but def not her worst.. from my recollection, Confessions was a better R&B album at the time and DJ didn’t live up to what it could’ve been, mostly due to the SB fallout and lack of radio play..

• Upvote 2

DJ didn’t live up to what it could’ve been, mostly due to the SB fallout and lack of radio play..

That would be true if we were talking about sales but quality wise (by critics and let’s cut the crap about the SB and it’s PR nightmare... The SB didn’t create Warmth), Damita Jo is subpar in comparison to its predecessors. 

Prior to Damita Jo, Janet had something to say whether that was self-control, social justice, sexuality, vulnerability, or independence.. That stopped at Damita Jo. She didn’t have anything to say. The things she said was pretty good but still.. no one wanted to hear her give head to Jermaine Dupri.. no one yet somehow that made the record. Janet became predictable 

20 was a “celebration” to Control which is a terrible reason to create an album in the 21st Century. “Classic Janet with a modern twist” It  would have worked if it weren’t for Jermaine Dupri and the hype he brought at the time

Discipline was a collection of songs made for Janet without any concept whatsoever. She literally made up a concept during Discipline’s pre-album release promo and fans noticed that after listening to the album and wasn’t too happy. She said the album was about being disciplined and strict but that was literal not the case at all. That promo tour was weird. 

• Upvote 3

okay she's made some misteps, name an artist that hasn't :filenails: you know what I found interesting during this tour? Is the number of people walking out that said how much they loved seeing Janet live and they had never done so. One gurl in Detroit said she was soooo glad she got to see Janet Jackson live because who else has that many hit songs and can put on a show like that?

• Upvote 1

Prior to Damita Jo, Janet had something to say whether that was self-control, social justice, sexuality, vulnerability, or independence.. That stopped at Damita Jo. She didn’t have anything to say. The things she said was pretty good but still.. no one wanted to hear her give head to Jermaine Dupri.. no one yet somehow that made the record. Janet became predictable 

20 was a “celebration” to Control which is a terrible reason to create an album in the 21st Century. “Classic Janet with a modern twist” It  would have worked if it weren’t for Jermaine Dupri and the hype he brought at the time

Discipline was a collection of songs made for Janet without any concept whatsoever. She literally made up a concept during Discipline’s pre-album release promo and fans noticed that after listening to the album and wasn’t too happy. She said the album was about being disciplined and strict but that was literal not the case at all. That promo tour was weird. 

I agree about Discipline. 20YO literally was a contractual obligation she was trying to fulfill. She gave the label something so she could be done. 

I disagree with DJ - you can't say she had something to say including sexuality & vulnerability - then say DJ she had nothing to say when it was an expansion on those topics based on her current position in life. 

Vulnerability - Looking for Love, The One, Spending Time With You, Truly, My Baby, Thinking Bout My Ex, Slo Love

Sexuality - Strawberry Bounce, Sexihibition, Warmth 

Damita Jo title track was about you guys think you've known Janet up to this point but there's more to the story. 

• Upvote 1