OFFICIAL STATE OF THE WORLD TOUR THREAD

jarrylf

I'm sorry but Janet's back was up against the wall, folks were coming at her at all angles, she was blackballed/blacklisted, folks questioning her legacy, people were trying to compare her to the new it girls and shit...to me she needed to come out swinging and remind bitches who the fuck she was but instead we got ASMR, ocean sounds and Babyface :unsure:...DJ was cute for her casual R&B fans but the fans who adore when she mixes genres, shows signs of aggression and says something profound were left frustrated and defeated. 

With all the push back she needed a knockout album with minimum flaws and with songs that slapped you upside the head, DJ was not that album. They could have denied her all they wanted but if that music was ALOT better...you couldn't deny that.

• Upvote 2

I agree about Discipline. 20YO literally was a contractual obligation she was trying to fulfill. She gave the label something so she could be done. 

I disagree with DJ - you can't say she had something to say including sexuality & vulnerability - then say DJ she had nothing to say when it was an expansion on those topics based on her current position in life. 

Vulnerability - Looking for Love, The One, Spending Time With You, Truly, My Baby, Thinking Bout My Ex, Slo Love

Sexuality - Strawberry Bounce, Sexihibition, Warmth 

Damita Jo title track was about you guys think you've known Janet up to this point but there's more to the story. 

You cannot count interludes as staple tracks to confirm a theme :lmao: Without interludes on her previous albums, the theme is still there, the lyrics are still there. TVR isn’t amazing for her interludes and neither is any other album in the history of albums

I’m highly upset you only named three tracks about sex when the entire album is sex ridden. 

She mentions sex in every song. Some variation of sex Except for R&B Junkie & Ex.

Even the title track had lyrics explicitly saying she “love to do her man” and a “freak undercover”... she pounded this sex theme like she had nothing better to sell

At least before we had other subject matter.. even AFY touched on being single/dealing with a break up and lost relationship (Trust issues and Truth issues). 

TVR with depression, abuse, losing a loved one and/or yourself... one way or another

i could go on and on but after giving fans five thought-provoking albums then that (Damita Jo)... it was a let down 

You can nitpick Damita Jo all ya like... as a whole, the album wasn’t Janet Jackson but it was Damita Jo.. a pop artist with no substance during a time when Substance was needed 

Confession was a hit due to Usher opening up about Chili (even though this album was ultimately about JD)... it told a story and had a great soundtrack. The people believed it. Damita Jo was the exact opposite. 

Edited by State of the Game

I'm sorry but Janet's back was up against the wall, folks were coming at her at all angles, she was blackballed/blacklisted, folks questioning her legacy, people were trying to compare her to the new it girls and shit...to me she needed to come out swinging and remind bitches who the fuck she was but instead we got ASMR, ocean sounds and Babyface :unsure:...DJ was cute for her casual R&B fans but the fans who adore when she mixes genres, shows signs of aggression and says something profound were left frustrated and defeated. 

With all the push back she needed a knockout album with minimum flaws and with songs that slapped you upside the head, DJ was not that album. They could have denied her all they wanted but if that music was ALOT better...you couldn't deny that.

wrong, sorry boo boo.....a person can come out swinging as hard and as loud with it as they may wish, but if it falls on deaf ears, its not going to happen. Janet as a brand had a complete meltdown, the media only cared about talking about the SB, remember David Letterman? and the red dress?  One can only do so much and for the record if memory serves my old ass correct, Janet did all that promo and performing a plenty all over the world, not just the US during DJ, and it simply didnt work....we all know a tour was in the works, but at that point radio pulled the plug and ended new music hits from Janet that probably would be heard today. Janet eventually saw the truth and she pulled the plug and went back to being Janet Jackson the human being not the superstar Icon because the public turned on her so damn hard.....ya'll up in here like you got solutions that weren't there

• Upvote 4

“Same ol’ songs.. draggin me down..not good for my body”.. 

• Upvote 1

You cannot count interludes as staple tracks to confirm a theme :lmao: Without interludes on her previous albums, the theme is still there, the lyrics are still there. TVR isn’t amazing for her interludes and neither is any other album in the history of albums

I’m highly upset you only named three tracks about sex when the entire album is sex ridden. 

She mentions sex in every song. Some variation of sex Except for R&B Junkie & Ex.

Even the title track had lyrics explicitly saying she “love to do her man” and a “freak undercover”... she pounded this sex theme like she had nothing better to sell

At least before we had other subject matter.. even AFY touched on being single/dealing with a break up and lost relationship (Trust issues and Truth issues). 

TVR with depression, abuse, losing a loved one and/or yourself... one way or another

i could go on and on but after giving fans five thought-provoking albums then that (Damita Jo)... it was a let down 

You can nitpick Damita Jo all ya like... as a whole, the album wasn’t Janet Jackson but it was Damita Jo.. a pop artist with no substance 

I'm not counting interludes as "staple tracks" I'm showing how the interludes - like they always had were the thread of the theme. 

"How empty of me to be so full of you", "We're in a race between education & catastrophe", "To a world sick with racism get well soon", "You know you want me" 

Each of those interludes were threading between tracks. They showed the theme, direction, insight of creative thought, deliberate concept of tracks & album. 

Janet has had multiple songs that mention sex throughout the years but I don't consider them sexual songs. AFY is about being single & independent & guys fear to approach but she talks about him having a nice package to ride. You're willfully missing the concept by watering the tracks down. Janet was LITERALLY creating that album in honeymoon phase with her & JD. From island hopping to fucking continuously she was back in love. You just didn't like what she felt at that time. 

Now what could be argued is she avoided the heat and didn't fight back against what she was facing. So she came out with an album diverting the attention but nonetheless most of the album was already done. It came out in March so it shows you where she was before the fiasco. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Now this I can understand but let's also keep the time table in perspective. Super Bowl was February, and had EVERY intention on being the promo start for DJ which was released a month later. DJ was already done. She already had that direction & that's where she was at the time. 

I believe she COULD have fought back but avoided it and her back was against the wall but the timetable she didn't really have time to do that. The album was done. 

• Upvote 1

Now this I can understand but let's also keep the time table in perspective. Super Bowl was February, and had EVERY intention on being the promo start for DJ which was released a month later. DJ was already done. She already had that direction & that's where she was at the time. 

I believe she COULD have fought back but avoided it and her back was against the wall but the timetable she didn't really have time to do that. The album was done. 

NO NO and NO.......Damita Jo was chopped and pasted by Virgin after the SB ...the album she had wasn't what we ended up with

• Upvote 1

I agree about Discipline. 20YO literally was a contractual obligation she was trying to fulfill. She gave the label something so she could be done. 

I disagree with DJ - you can't say she had something to say including sexuality & vulnerability - then say DJ she had nothing to say when it was an expansion on those topics based on her current position in life. 

Vulnerability - Looking for Love, The One, Spending Time With You, Truly, My Baby, Thinking Bout My Ex, Slo Love

Sexuality - Strawberry Bounce, Sexihibition, Warmth 

Damita Jo title track was about you guys think you've known Janet up to this point but there's more to the story. 

And not to mention it was her first time actually diving into new kinds of music that she's always wanted to do. Who knows how long she's been wanting to do music with a Euro feel to it like "SloLove" or how about tropical sounding music like "Spending Time With U" and "Island Life". I guess some fans haven't even paid attention to that. I remember at first listen I didn't like "SloLove". I wasn't used to Janet doing that kind of music, but I said to myself "Let me try and be open-minded, listen to it a few more times, and explore this new sound a little like Janet did." Now it's in my top 10 tracks from Janet of all time.

• Upvote 3

And not to mention it was her first time actually diving into new kinds of music that she's always wanted to do. Who knows how long she's been wanting to do music with a Euro feel to it like "SloLove" or how about tropical sounding music like "Spending Time With U" and "Island Life". I guess some fans haven't even paid attention to that. I remember at first listen I didn't like "SloLove". I wasn't used to Janet doing that kind of music, but I said to myself "Let me try and be open-minded, listen to it a few more times, and explore this new sound a little like Janet did." Now it's in my top 10 tracks from Janet of all time.

I didn't initially care for Slo Love either but I love it now. 

• Upvote 1

Wasn't the album complete by SB? 

DJ ticks the mixed genre box surely?

if it had been a sales success (which I think it coulda been prior to the SB) some of you would be thinking very differently

Edited by vibeology
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I'm not counting interludes as "staple tracks" I'm showing how the interludes - like they always had were the thread of the theme. 

"How empty of me to be so full of you", "We're in a race between education & catastrophe", "To a world sick with racism get well soon", "You know you want me" 

Each of those interludes were threading between tracks. They showed the theme, direction, insight of creative thought, deliberate concept of tracks & album. 

Janet has had multiple songs that mention sex throughout the years but I don't consider them sexual songs. AFY is about being single & independent & guys fear to approach but she talks about him having a nice package to ride. You're willfully missing the concept by watering the tracks down. Janet was LITERALLY creating that album in honeymoon phase with her & JD. From island hopping to fucking continuously she was back in love. You just didn't like what she felt at that time. 

Now what could be argued is she avoided the heat and didn't fight back against what she was facing. So she came out with an album diverting the attention but nonetheless most of the album was already done. It came out in March so it shows you where she was before the fiasco. 

Sure. They added to the theme but they don’t make the theme. Like I said before, if Janet took out the interludes in her albums, does the album still have a correlated theme? The answer is yes. Damita Jo’s recurring theme... sex. But you cannot include interludes into this discussion or say that those two are enough to support that theme.. Interludes support a track but not an album

Looking for Love is so the red headed step child as it doesn’t fit the rest of the album... at all. Instead DJ is filled with Flavor of the Week producers with sex tracks. Don’t get me started on the lack of  resonance on this album  

AFY album celebrated her independence and the struggle of Divorce, dating, and friendship. 

But you said it best.. she had multiple songs about sex throughout her career so the purpose of DJ was... sex? It turned Janet into a pop star with zero substance. That is who Damita Jo is. You can cut any mid tempo or baby making song out of DJ and you won’t lose the theme/concept at ALL

Being with JD tarnished her career but that’s another story that has nothing to do with Damita having no Substance. It took her 18 months to create Damita Jo... that should tell you the space she was in

Edited by State of the Game

FACT: your personal bias towards it doesn’t help anything. We get it... YOU love SloLove and the small sample of fans you polled loves it too and so does your friends and family and neighbors but the public don’t know SloLove.. cut to the Spotify stats... SloLove isn’t included ??‍♂️

Janet has sang on Various reggae tracks in the past.. all of which had that island feel

Not to mention Jimmy & Terry had their hands in both songs mentioned making your point moot. Damita Jo could have been a comprehensive album without the flavor of the week producers

Just because a song has European producers and writers doesn’t make a song genre “European” ??‍♂️

wrong, sorry boo boo.....a person can come out swinging as hard and as loud with it as they may wish, but if it falls on deaf ears, its not going to happen. Janet as a brand had a complete meltdown, the media only cared about talking about the SB, remember David Letterman? and the red dress?  One can only do so much and for the record if memory serves my old ass correct, Janet did all that promo and performing a plenty all over the world, not just the US during DJ, and it simply didnt work....we all know a tour was in the works, but at that point radio pulled the plug and ended new music hits from Janet that probably would be heard today. Janet eventually saw the truth and she pulled the plug and went back to being Janet Jackson the human being not the superstar Icon because the public turned on her so damn hard.....ya'll up in here like you got solutions that weren't there

The tour was pulled presuming that no one would sponsor it. Radio blackmailed her far before a tour was established 

• Upvote 1

I somehow missed this bit of news from last month in Indianapolis 

The tweet was unbelievable: THE Janet Jackson was spotted shopping at City Market. "Was she really there? Yes, I talked to her. And she’s  adorable," City Market Executive Director Stevi Stoesz said.

Jackson visited the day after her Nov. 26 show at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. She chatted with U-Relish owner Cara Dafforn and tasted the stand's food.

No photos of Jackson and her two companions were allowed, but the Gary native was gracious and kind, and she flashed a big smile, Stoesz said

• Upvote 4

Good point, I actually at first didn't like the Bag An Arthur stuff but it grew on me and it's still really good, ANDS,  Put Your Hands an an Im Here. I wish the all would have made the album it would have given it a different vibe than any of her other albums. 

• Upvote 1

That would be true if we were talking about sales but quality wise (by critics and let’s cut the crap about the SB and it’s PR nightmare... The SB didn’t create Warmth), Damita Jo is subpar in comparison to its predecessors. 

I agree about Warmth/Moist ...I criiiiiinge...

but without counting JJ and DS, Discipline is her least good album, 20YO is the 2nd least good album, and DJ is her 3rd least good album..

all the albums listed above still contain a handful of gems, but yes, thematically speaking, musically speaking, lyrically speaking... those three are definitely her weakest efforts to date

• Upvote 1

I agree about Warmth/Moist ...I criiiiiinge...

but without counting JJ and DS, Discipline is her least good album, 20YO is the 2nd least good album, and DJ is her 3rd least good album..

all the albums listed above still contain a handful of gems, but yes, thematically speaking, musically speaking, lyrically speaking... those three are definitely her weakest efforts to date

Moist is actually good... tolerable... the next step from WYM, Rope Burn... she just went too far with Warmth. 

You posted no lies. The bottom five albums no matter what order you put them in, will always be the bottom five because they were not classic Janet albums... just collections of songs made for Janet 

Exactly!!! They forgetting all that. Hell JALW was in the top 5 radio playlists for a few weeks before the backlash. I remember listening to radio countdowns and people calling in requesting "Just A Little While". You're right cause they're definitely in here with imaginary solutions.

I remember hearing JALW on the radio after the SB stunt.  Once the backlash start setting in, she was done at radio.

What I do admire about her is that she still was promoting the record, but the damage had already been done.

So many coulda, shoulda, woulda's.  -_-

• Upvote 2