NYDN: 'Thriller 3D' Will Resurrect Michael Jackson This Summer

Dal

Michael Jackson will be scaring fans from beyond the grave later this summer with a reworked release of his iconic music video “Thriller” in 3D.

Director John Landis, who shot "Thriller" in 1982 with “The King of Pop,” will oversee the project, according to industry sources.

We’re told that for three years, Landis has been secretly re-working the iconic 14-minute music video, which was a groundbreaking piece of music history.

Sources say that Michael's son Prince and daughter Paris have been involved in the project, but details are being kept under wraps.

“Thriller is coming out again in movie form this summer and it will be something very special,” we're told. “John took the original footage, cleaned it up and has made it into something very unique.”

Our insider says Jackson, who died in 2009 and would’ve turned 59 in August, would have likely been pleased with this project.

“Michael’s vision before his death was to bring ‘Thriller’ to movie theaters and use IMAX and 3D technology to make fans feel they are in the video with him,” we're told. “There is a marketing plan in place to launch the new version with a huge PR drive with (Jackson’s children) Prince and Paris involved.”

We also hear that Prince, a filmmaking enthusiast, has expressed particular interest in this project. Our sources also say that fans are in for a double-feature.

“As part of the celebration relaunch, a new documentary exploring the incredible story behind the movie’s creation will be released,” we're told.

Landis joined the project after actually being caught up in a bitter legal war over the original “Thriller” after Michael’s passing. That beef has apparently been buried.

The movie release marks the 35th anniversary of the “Thriller” album launch.

Shortly after Jackson died, the “Thriller” video was inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library Of Congress. No other music video had been given that honor.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/thriller-3d-resurrect-michael-jackson-summer-article-1.3260090

I get being a fan of this and all, but all I see is the MJ estate milking and making coin, and thats what they're supposed to do, but those children have divided the Jacksons and broken a lot of the family over that money I cannot support that <_<

those children have divided the Jacksons and broken a lot of the family over that money

You're saying that it's the fault of some children that a largely business-savvy Hollywood dynasty has been divided....and you place zero blame of that on the shoulders of the actual adults involved in the situation..?

?‍♂️

You're saying that it's the fault of some children that a largely business-savvy Hollywood dynasty has been divided....and you place zero blame of that on the shoulders of the actual adults involved in the situation..?

?‍♂️

the adults you speak of are actually related to Katherine not those others :whistle: and sure they took sides, Latoya sided with the kids, thats why she's on the outs with the other siblings, sure you're right in that sense,  BUT when Paris starts talking shit because Katherine is in London meeting her grand baby from her last baby thats a bit much to me, Prince and Paris do waaaaayyyy too much ..sorry theres no going around that and the fact this story has them all in the mix ....Im just not pleased with how things have gone post MJ's death

Edited by Bailey.

the adults you speak of are actually related to Katherine not those others :whistle: and sure they took sides, Latoya sided with the kids, thats why she's on the outs with the other siblings, sure you're right in that sense,  BUT when Paris starts talking shit because Katherine is in London meeting her grand baby from her last baby thats a bit much to me, Prince and Paris do waaaaayyyy too much ..sorry theres no going around that and the fact this story has them all in the mix ....Im just not pleased with how things have gone post MJ's death

well I can't argue with u.. those are ur feelings and ur entitled to them.. I'd be lying if I said I don't think ur opinion is largely based on Janet's public/private experiences with them the last few years.. but I'm just saying they were legit children and grew up about as sheltered as could be so it's natural that they're going to have stumbles along their paths to adulthood.. but they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.. u don't see them running through guys/girls or hooked on drugs or getting arrested or anything else that the Biebers and Lohans of the entertainment industry can easily fall into..  they seem rather grounded and accessible.. 

and besides, you're talking about the Jacksons.. they were far from drama-free loooong before these 3 kids came along.. 

well I can't argue with u.. those are ur feelings and ur entitled to them.. I'd be lying if I said I don't think ur opinion is largely based on Janet's public/private experiences with them the last few years.. but I'm just saying they were legit children and grew up about as sheltered as could be so it's natural that they're going to have stumbles along their paths to adulthood.. but they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.. u don't see them running through guys/girls or hooked on drugs or getting arrested or anything else that the Biebers and Lohans of the entertainment industry can easily fall into..  they seem rather grounded and accessible.. 

and besides, you're talking about the Jacksons.. they were far from drama-free loooong before these 3 kids came along.. 

and I will not argue that, that's all very valid things, however the idea that kids with little experience outside of being the benefactors of the MJ estate spend a lot of their energy throwing their "weight" around the family.  For me that's garbage :filenails:  they can have several seats, what they have done and continue to do is be disrespectful, they use Katherine like a pawn, and that woman is in her 80's :sigh: we as people of color do not tolerate that sorta behavior it goes against everything that we are taught

Edited by Bailey.

but all I see is the MJ estate milking and making coin, and thats what they're supposed to do

Yes.. back to the topic.

Thriller is historic and all but damn... Leave it alone. Quit trying to recreate you didn't Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa (despite the fact that MJ didnt write or produce this track) 

Edited by State of the Game

Yes.. back to the topic.

Thriller is historic and all but damn... Leave it alone. Quit trying to recreate you didn't Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa (despite the fact that MJ didnt write or produce this track) 

FUN fact...."Thriller" as an album wasn't successful with its initial release, it wasnt until the music video for "Thriller" came out almost a year after that history was made -_-

FUN fact...."Thriller" as an album wasn't successful with its initial release, it wasnt until the music video for "Thriller" came out almost a year after that history was made -_-

that's not exactly true.. sure, the album didn't debut at #1 or anything, but the very first single The Hoe, err, Girl Is Mine was #1 on the Hot 100 almost as soon as it came out.. In fact, like you said, the Thriller video was the very last thing released from the entire project (in 1984 btw.. the article states 1982...nope) and that projected the album into stratospheric status for sure.. but it was actually the Moonwalk he performed on the Motown 25 special that sent that era into a frenzy and it didn't come down for a long ass time.. still holding the record for #1 album on Billboard 200 for 37 weeks! ??

• Upvote 1

Yes.. back to the topic.

that's the thing with MJ is that he had a way of presenting a song as if he had hatched it himself.. he took ownership of tracks written for him like nobody else did, even til this day imo.. I don't think that if Thriller (the song) had been handed over to anyone else, that it would've had nearly the same impact that it had once MJ recorded it. After all, it was his idea to create the short film for it, and it was his idea to find and hire John Landis, and it was his idea that he wanted to turn into a ware wolf, and it was his idea that he wanted dancing zombies behind him.. he didn't write or produce Man In The Mirror either or Rock With You or You Are Not Alone (the first song to debut at #1 ever!).. but he did have everything to do with Billie Jean, Beat It, DSTYGE, Working Day and Night, Bad, TWYMMF, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Black or White, TDCAU, Earth Song, etc etc etc... so it's not as if he couldn't do it on his own before or after..

Thriller was a unique as hell track that began as Starlight.. take a listen folks:

the adults you speak of are actually related to Katherine not those others 

Btw... if that's even a part of someone's argument regarding MJ's kids then imo that goes to show more about yourself than any points you may be attempting to prove.. petty af.. ??‍♂️ how old are we? 

that's the thing with MJ is that he had a way of presenting a song as if he had hatched it himself.. he took ownership of tracks written for him like nobody else did, even til this day imo.. I don't think that if Thriller (the song) had been handed over to anyone else, that it would've had nearly the same impact that it had once MJ recorded it. After all, it was his idea to create the short film for it, and it was his idea to find and hire John Landis, and it was his idea that he wanted to turn into a ware wolf, and it was his idea that he wanted dancing zombies behind him.. he didn't write or produce Man In The Mirror either or Rock With You or You Are Not Alone (the first song to debut at #1 ever!).. but he did have everything to do with Billie Jean, Beat It, DSTYGE, Working Day and Night, Bad, TWYMMF, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Black or White, TDCAU, Earth Song, etc etc etc... so it's not as if he couldn't do it on his own before or after..

Thriller was a unique as hell track that began as Starlight.. take a listen folks:

Yeah. Like Britney and all her hit songs and Whitney with hers. Save it 

Great! Glad he had ideas about the music video after he didn't produce/write the song.

Im well aware of his credentials 

• Downvote 1

Yeah. Like Britney and all her hit songs and Whitney with hers. Save it 

Great! Glad he had ideas about the music video after he didn't produce/write the song.

Im well aware of his credentials 

ur gonna compare Britney and Whitney to MJ in terms of hit song-making...? Britney has had 4 #1 hits on the BB Hot 100 (none of which she wrote).. Whit had better success with 11 #1 songs, but again, she wrote zero of them.. MJ has 13 #1's and he wrote majority of them himself, Thriller never even  cracked the top 3! Lol.. but ok go ahead and utter Britney and MJ in the same breath as if they are anything similar in terms of songwriting and composing lmao

ur gonna compare Britney and Whitney to MJ in terms of hit song-making...? Britney has had 4 #1 hits on the BB Hot 100 (none of which she wrote).. Whit had better success with 11 #1 songs, but again, she wrote zero of them.. MJ has 13 #1's and he wrote majority of them himself, Thriller never even  cracked the top 3! Lol.. but ok go ahead and utter Britney and MJ in the same breath as if they are anything similar in terms of songwriting and composing lmao

All three have something in common; none of em wrote their biggest hit

Doesnt matter where it landed on Billboard. Thriller is MJ's biggest hit

And I'm not comparing their "song-making" skill. I was commenting on how they take a song and make it their own... similar to what you said MJ did with Thriller 

Britney was blacklisted in the early 2000s otherwise she would have had more #1s (not defending her career. Idc either way)

All three have something in common; none of em wrote their biggest hit

Doesnt matter where it landed on Billboard. Thriller is MJ's biggest hit

And I'm not comparing their "song-making" skill. I was commenting on how they take a song and make it their own... similar to what you said MJ did with Thriller 

Britney was blacklisted in the early 2000s otherwise she would have had more #1s (not defending her career. Idc either way)

It's arguable that Thriller is his biggest hit song... I know you said you don't care about the chart position it had (fact selecting, I see), but it bares repeating that it peaked at number 4 on the music charts.. now, it is undoubtedly his most popular video (and of ALL videos in history of videos), so I'm fine with you stating it's his biggest hit, period. But just for arguments sake, Billie Jean held the top spot for 8 straight weeks (written solely by himself and co-produced with QJ, though even the Jones-less demo is near identical to the final product), that was his biggest hit (subsequently matched by BoW with another 8wks at #1, also written by him).

Now, posthumously, Man In The Mirror has proven to be the biggest selling single of his entire catalog (written by Siedah Garret and Glen Ballard)...

with all that said, it's a pretty nice "problem" to have when u can't decide which of his internationally known hits are bigger than the others lol..

and I never even mentioned We Are The World, the biggest selling song of all-time.. written almost totally by MJ himself (with very little input from Lionel Richie)...

the king reigns ? 

I don't get your point. Thriller is his biggest hit of all time based on: Video, sales, history, longitivity 

And what I suggested still stands and the comparison between Britney, MJ, & Whitney still stands. Not being biased, just stating facts 

I don't get your point. Thriller is his biggest hit of all time based on: Video, sales, history, longitivity 

And what I suggested still stands and the comparison between Britney, MJ, & Whitney still stands. Not being biased, just stating facts 

Im not saying it isn't his biggest hit.. but the way you describe is as if everything was done for him in regards to the song's success, when in fact it's the opposite.

Thriller (the single) did not sell as much as BJ or Beat It.. it initially didn't even receive as much airplay as BoW. The video is what propelled that track to its iconic status. And in the grand scheme of things, once Rod Temperton handed over the lyrics to MJ to record, that was the end of Rod's input. Everything that followed was the direct result of Mike's own vision.

the comparisons to Britney and Whitney end at who wrote their songs. I guarantee you that neither of those two had much, if any, input in the style, look, sets, story, choreography, etc of their biggest songs. That's what MJ was known for (his involvement).

Hell, Whitney's biggest hit was a cover of an older country song and all she did in the video was sit on a chair in front of a green screen. And I don't even know what is considered Brit's biggest hit... 

That's the way you perceive my post. That's not my intention. I'm not saying it's his only hit or bc of it he became a legend. No

I'm saying, Thriller is his biggest hit. 

The input on creativity of the video and tour performance, etc is irrelevant. All three didn't have input on their biggest hit song writing and production process... period. That you cannot argue

Idk what Brit's or Whit's biggest hits are. I just know they didn't have input on the creation of them

That's the way you perceive my post. That's not my intention. I'm not saying it's his only hit or bc of it he became a legend. No

I'm saying, Thriller is his biggest hit. 

The input on creativity of the video and tour performance, etc is irrelevant. All three didn't have input on their biggest hit song writing and production process... period. That you cannot argue

Idk what Brit's or Whit's biggest hits are. I just know they didn't have input on the creation of them

I'll concur with that, although I'd argue that I'm sure he had some type of creative input in Thriller (the song)...albeit the tone, the background harmonies, or the selection of Vincent Price... but alas I have no data to back that up..

also, I think it's notable to point out that by the time the video for Thriller was released MJ already had three Hot 100 #1 hits under his belt as an adult (all written by him) and one as a minor (not written by him).. not counting the hits he made with his brothers as The Jacksons (Shake Ya Body, Blame It On The Boogie, Enjoy Yourself, etc) which were almost all written by him..

again, the comparisons to B & W end at who wrote their arguably biggest song... all others end after that

I'll concur with that, although I'd argue that I'm sure he had some type of creative input in Thriller (the song)...albeit the tone, the background harmonies, or the selection of Vincent Price... but alas I have no data to back that up..

also, I think it's notable to point out that by the time the video for Thriller was released MJ already had three Hot 100 #1 hits under his belt as an adult (all written by him) and one as a minor (not written by him).. not counting the hits he made with his brothers as The Jacksons (Shake Ya Body, Blame It On The Boogie, Enjoy Yourself, etc) which were almost all written by him..

again, the comparisons to B & W end at who wrote their arguably biggest song... all others end after that

Not according to the creditentials and that's how we know ??‍♂️

Thats nice but irrelevant to anything in this thread 

• 1 month later...

Official Estate Announcement:

Hello, MJFAM:

For months, you all have been rabidly discussing rumors about “Thriller 3D.” We are happy to confirm that the rumors are true! Many of you may have seen the announcement this morning: The Venice Film Festival will premiere “Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D” at this year’s event. We cannot announce any more details at this time, but we will be sure to do so as those details become available.

Best,
Alicia
MJOnline
The Official Online Team of The Michael Jackson Estate™

There you have it...officially confirmed! ?

• 2 weeks later...