DENIED-- Slights Against Janet & Omissions of Her Work

I've posted on the subject before, but would like to know what others have seen in terms of members of the media that continue to try and erase Janet's legacy.  If you find blatant omissions of Janet's work, unfounded comments or other subtle forms of shade, post them hear.  If we all know about them, maybe we can all refute them as a community.  

For those unfamiliar with the issues, this post on The Inquisitr is a good place to start.  

Edited by wayneashleymusic

As we all know, Billboard magazine is a primary offender.  In a recent article written by Gary Trust, they are discussing artists with the most Top 10 hits... 

"Thoughts," from Khaled's new album, Grateful, released Friday (June 23), and which samples Santana's "Maria Maria," a 10-week Hot 100 No. 1 (featuring The Product G&B) in 2000, marks Rihanna's 31st top 10, the third-best total dating to the Hot 100's Aug. 4, 1958, launch. Here's an updated look at the acts with the most Hot 100 top 10s:

38, Madonna
34, The Beatles
31, Rihanna
29, Michael Jackson (as a soloist)
28, Stevie Wonder

Left off of the list was Janet, whom has garnered 28 Hot 100 Top 10 hits... 29 if you are counting We Are The World 25 for Haiti... 

Here's the list (though many of us on here already know it)... 

#4 What Have You Done For Me Lately

#3 Nasty

#1 When I Think Of You

#5 Control

#2 Let's Wait Awhile

#5 Diamonds (Herb Alpert ft. Janet Jackson & Lisa Keith)

#1 Miss You Much

#2 Rhythm Nation

#1 Escapade

#4 Alright

#2 Come Back To Me

#1 Black Cat

#1 Love Will Never Do

#10 The Best Things In Life Are Free (Luther Vandross, Janet Jackson, Bell Biv Devoe an Ralph Tresvant)

#1 That's The Way Love Goes

#4 If

#1 Again

#10 Because of Love 

#2 Any Time, Any Place

#8 You Want This

#3 Runaway

#5 Scream (Michael and Janet Jackson)

#1 Together Again 

#3 I Get Lonely

#3 What's It Gonna Be (Busta Rhymes ft. Janet Jackson)

#1Doesn't Really Matter

#1 All For You

#3 Someone To Call My Lover

#2 We Are The World 25 for Haiti (Artists for Haiti)

I've posted on the subject before, but would like to know what others have seen in terms of members of the media that continue to try and erase Janet's legacy.  If you find blatant omissions of Janet's work, unfounded comments or other subtle forms of shade, post them hear.  If we all know about them, maybe we can all refute them as a community.  

For those unfamiliar with the issues, this post on The Inquisitr is a good place to start.  

No one takes that website seriously and part of her legacy being erased or overlooked has to do with her not being around.  That's not fair but that's the way it is with her.  

• Upvote 3

No one takes that website seriously and part of her legacy being erased or overlooked has to do with her not being around.  That's not fair but that's the way it is with her.  

It has to do with one thing... after the Superbowl, she became the scapegoat for indecency in the 2004 election campaign.  Ever since then, the media and much of the music industry has hung her out to dry.  And Janet has been around... she just hasn't been around at their beckoned call because she knows most of them aren't going to give her a fair shake anyway.  

Beyonce hasn't sat for a proper interview or called into a radio station in 5 years either, but she's a name that is on everyone's lips (which I have no problem with BTW).  But the difference is her career has not yet been tarnished by the media.  So she's following a similar path to Janet and making things about her fans.  

But as a fan of Janet, it's not cool with me to let these shady moments pass by, so I'm going to point it out.  

It starts with the base

The other day on this forum, a fair weather Janet’s “fan” tried and a person who doesn’t pay attention to trends goes on to diss Janet’s latest #1 album :blink: 

Janet's not doing great numbers. Going number one sounds nice but her numbers are not great. 

Hitting over 100k with zero promotion outside social media, zero hits, 30+ year experience, and Janet shouldn’t be praised for it? 

It starts here. You can’t be totally mad at the media for undercutting Janet’s legacy (though it is frustrating) when certain “fans” are doing the same

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, the only correct thing that was said in here was "It starts with the base," but not for the reasons that were listed. You can't expect others to be aware of Janet's legacy when her own fans can't get facts straight. I'll exclude the plethora of inaccurate facts that exists in campaigns such as Janet's Legacy Matters and Induct Janet and just reference the inaccuracies in this thread. Firstly, Diamonds is not listed as a top 10 by Billboard because it isn't Janet's song, it's Herb Alpert's. That was the rule made by Billboard when the song first impacted the charts way back in 1987. So did Billboard have a vendetta against her then as well? And We Are The World for Haiti is no more a hit for Janet than We Are the World was for LaToya. Phoning in vocals as part of an ensemble and calling it a hit for her is just overreaching.

• Upvote 4

Well, the only correct thing that was said in here was "It starts with the base," but not for the reasons that were listed. You can't expect others to be aware of Janet's legacy when her own fans can't get facts straight. I'll exclude the plethora of inaccurate facts that exists in campaigns such as Janet's Legacy Matters and Induct Janet and just reference the inaccuracies in this thread. Firstly, Diamonds is not listed as a top 10 by Billboard because it isn't Janet's song, it's Herb Alpert's. That was the rule made by Billboard when the song first impacted the charts way back in 1987. So did Billboard have a vendetta against her then as well? And We Are The World for Haiti is no more a hit for Janet than We Are the World was for LaToya. Phoning in vocals as part of an ensemble and calling it a hit for her is just overreaching.

I already explained the qualifier for WATW 25.  

And I can guarantee you that by their own calculation, Billboard is including hits as a featured artist for everyone listed.  As a lead artist, Rihanna only has 22 Top 10 hits.  But her count expands when her features are included.  

But if you need to check Billboard yourself, here's the receipt...  

http://www.billboard.com/charts/r-b-hip-hop-songs/1987-06-20 

Don't ya know... RECEIPTS are a guy's best friend!! 

• Upvote 1

I already explained the qualifier for WATW 25.  

And I can guarantee you that by their own calculation, Billboard is including hits as a featured artist for everyone listed.  As a lead artist, Rihanna only has 22 Top 10 hits.  But her count expands when her features are included.  

But if you need to check Billboard yourself, here's the receipt...  

http://www.billboard.com/charts/r-b-hip-hop-songs/1987-06-20 

Don't ya know... RECEIPTS are a guy's best friend!! 

That's because the Hot 100 chart and R&B/Hip Hop charts have different sets of rules, clearly. And it's also clear that the rules regarding musicians like Herb Alpert doing an album with featured artists was different back then as well. It has nothing to do with her legacy being erased. The same thing was done to Lisa Keith who sang lead on "Making Love In the Rain". The song's chart position isn't attributed to her either.

http://www.billboard.com/artist/307492/lisa-keith/chart

But wait! Could it be possible that Billboard and the media is also trying to erase Lisa Keith's legacy with this omission as well?! Is a Lisa Keith's Legacy Matters campaign on the horizon?!

• Upvote 1

That's because the Hot 100 chart and R&B/Hip Hop charts have different sets of rules, clearly. And it's also clear that the rules regarding musicians like Herb Alpert doing an album with featured artists was different back then as well. It has nothing to do with her legacy being erased. The same thing was done to Lisa Keith who sang lead on "Making Love In the Rain". The song's chart position isn't attributed to her either.

http://www.billboard.com/artist/307492/lisa-keith/chart

But wait! Could it be possible that Billboard and the media is also trying to erase Lisa Keith's legacy with this omission as well?! Is a Lisa Keith's Legacy Matters campaign on the horizon?!

Thanks for pointing out Billboard's selective and inconsistent recollection of Hot 100 history.  To not credit Ms. Keith on Making Love in the Rain (or Diamonds), yet to have somehow updated the chart on Diamonds to show Janet as a feature is not cool.  From the actual album cover, Janet and Lisa should be credited as featured artists for BOTH tracks.  If chart rules evolve, that should be reflected equally.  

http://vinylalbumcovers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/herbalpertkeepyoureyeonmesleevefront.png 

• Upvote 1

On Billboard's latest ChartBeat podcast, Gary Trust states that Janet Jackson is counted with 27 Top 10 hits.  It's safe to assume that @Impactnet. is correct that Diamonds is not counted as it pre-dates both the SoundScan era and (one assumes) when Billboard began to recognize features.  

They never manage to disappoint with the shade, saying that Janet's time hitting the top of the charts is over, and that she could never reach 30 Top 10 hits.  Starts around 9 minutes.  It sure would be amazing if Ms. Jackson, Jimmy and Terry could prove them wrong.

Discussion starts around the 7 minute mark... 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/podcasts/7849370/chart-beat-podcast-after-rihanna-wholl-be-next-with-30-top-10-hot 

It has to do with one thing... after the Superbowl, she became the scapegoat for indecency in the 2004 election campaign.  Ever since then, the media and much of the music industry has hung her out to dry.  And Janet has been around... she just hasn't been around at their beckoned call because she knows most of them aren't going to give her a fair shake anyway.  

Beyonce hasn't sat for a proper interview or called into a radio station in 5 years either, but she's a name that is on everyone's lips (which I have no problem with BTW).  But the difference is her career has not yet been tarnished by the media.  So she's following a similar path to Janet and making things about her fans.  

But as a fan of Janet, it's not cool with me to let these shady moments pass by, so I'm going to point it out.  

we can't continue to use the Super Bowl as an excuse. No one listens to radio anymore so her songs not being played mean nothing now. People don't watch videos on TV anymore so her being banned from MTV is not an issue. The incapability of being able to take advantage of this free and open market which technology has provided is a large part of the blame. 

The media and the public welcomed her with open arms when she announced her comeback and that was not taken advantage of. 

Beyonce may not speak but she keeps her fans in the loop and keeps her name out there whether through product placement or social media. We get 3rd party information from producers and dancers

Edited by DasSad
  • Upvote 5