Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senator Race

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

I watched this play out at work,  at one point I thought oh well let's not go thru another Hillary moment because Moore was up at 79% reported, shit changed quick :lol:

That was too early in the night to matter. (When the country folk votes were counted) 

it did not change quickly at all. It was too close imo

Black Voters Came Out for Jones

Democrats struggled for years, under President Barack Obama, to turn out African-American voters in off-year elections. For Mr. Jones, robust black turnout was essential to victory. He poured resources into African-American outreach and even summoned political leaders from out of state, including Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey and Deval Patrick, the former Massachusetts governor, to help in the race’s final days.

Black voters turned out in force, handing Mr. Jones a decisive lead in Alabama’s cities and predominantly black rural counties. In Jefferson County, home to Birmingham and its whiter suburbs, turnout exceeded the 2014 governor’s race by about 30 percent, and Mr. Jones nearly matched Hillary Clinton’s vote total there. Other populous, heavily African-American counties, including Montgomery and Dallas County, where Selma is, also exceeded their 2014 turnout.

Legislative Math Just Got Much Tougher

The most immediate implications of the race will be in Congress, where Republicans have been struggling painfully to pass major legislation. They failed by single-vote margins to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and the Senate only narrowly approved a deep tax cut whose final details are now being negotiated with the House of Representatives.

Mr. Jones’s arrival in Washington will only make that math more daunting. Seizing on his victory, Democrats quickly insisted that Republicans should not vote on a final version of their tax plan until Mr. Jones is sworn into office later this month. Senator Kamala Harris of California tweeted overnight, “Doug Jones should be seated immediately — before we vote again on the tax bill.”

NYTimes

Continue reading the ma

This is what happens though when people actually come out to vote.  

• Upvote 1

Black Women and Men 100% did this.  Alabama was about to look real shameful if they didn't come out to vote strong for Doug Jones.

I'm reading the same thing, that the Black vote changed this outcome. I'm still surprised it went the way it did BUT happy as can be at the result