Janet OFFICIALLY SHUTS DOWN rumors she'll be with Timbergarbage

jarrylf

Don't y'all get tired of these conversations...my goodness. :rolleyes:

MTV was trash, Justin was trash, Viacom was trash, Her music was mediocre, Her videos were blah, honestly if she had a better team...better management and a different muse (JD offered no kind of inspiration)...things might have turned out differently.

Good music or not...when the machine is against you things don't fair out well. Seems like Discipline was her getting back on track and egos subsided a little and she was given a chance to reclaim her status but by then you had people doing their best version of Janet and her still being mediocre. So Game is right to a certain extent.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Voodoo Child said:

MTV was trash, Justin was trash, Viacom was trash, Her music was mediocre, Her videos were blah, honestly if she had a better team...better management and a different muse (JD offered no kind of inspiration)...things might have turned out differently.

Good music or not...when the machine is against you things don't fair out well. Seems like Discipline was her getting back on track and egos subsided a little and she was given a chance to reclaim her status but by then you had people doing their best version of Janet and her still being mediocre. So Game is right to a certain extent.

Discipline was her getting back on track? The album where she didn’t write or produce was the album that got Janet “back on track”. Unbreakable got Janet back on track when she decided to stop trying to recreate the past (20 & Discipline) and focused on the here and now... where she stopped working with random ass producers who haven’t a clue on how to produce a Janet track (Damita Jo)

Viacom was against her but, again, Janet was everywhere else aside from radio which, in 2004-2008, was a big deal but pop radio would have ignored her anyhow bc she turned Forty (ask any 40 year old pop icon aside from Grandma Donna) 

4 hours ago, State of the Game said:

He doesn’t have to power to push her down completely and the only reason we had a JJappDay was because of JT. No he never apologize... probably never will. It’s not his fault Viacom went for Janet and not him

She was blocked from radio but there’s other venues she went down and critics agreed, the music was shit ??‍♂️

He has/had the power of getting attention, he called ET to shit on her they came with toilet paper. The day was taking a shot at The Superbowl AND everything about it which includes him. And he put all the blame on her.....that puts him at fault, not all his fault but he's got fault on his hands, period

Mixed reviews don't equal shit, saying she didn't get promo because "the music was shit" excuses & ignores the fact that no matter WHAT she put out it wasn't getting played period. And the other venues she went down got her hits on those venues (R&B hits & dance hits).

2 hours ago, Voodoo Child said:

I agree with it all but the highlighted is what matters, nobody blames just 1, all the trash gets it from the fans as they should, Justin's easier because he's 1 trash individual. Like her being "mediocre" (music wise cause she was still murdering any stage that let her), you said it in the opening of that paragraph they banned HER not the new music hell they stopped playing the old music

21 minutes ago, State of the Game said:

Discipline was her getting back on track? The album where she didn’t write or produce was the album that got Janet “back on track”. Unbreakable got Janet back on track when she decided to stop trying to recreate the past (20 & Discipline) and focused on the here and now... where she stopped working with random ass producers who haven’t a clue on how to produce a Janet track (Damita Jo)

Viacom was against her but, again, Janet was everywhere else aside from radio which, in 2004-2008, was a big deal but pop radio would have ignored her anyhow bc she turned Forty (ask any 40 year old pop icon aside from Grandma Donna) 

Discipline is the era MTV decided to make atone and let her come back, there's NO way that didn't Feedback break the top 20

Yea no, they slow down diva's in their 40's pop radio & video play but they don't do a full on stop like that, she doesn't compare to most pop megastars after 40 because she didn't fade out, she was shut out (also Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, TIna Turner, Cher, Carly Simon, Barbra Streisand, & Gladys all had top 20 hits video plays & promo in their 40s as well with Madonna, it doesn't happen to every pop or R&B girl but it happens to the ones like Janet, and all of them got hits off mediocre work compared to their prime)

1 hour ago, jarrylf said:

He has/had the power of getting attention, he called ET to shit on her they came with toilet paper. The day was taking a shot at The Superbowl AND everything about it which includes him. And he put all the blame on her.....that puts him at fault, not all his fault but he's got fault on his hands, period

Mixed reviews don't equal shit, saying she didn't get promo because "the music was shit" excuses & ignores the fact that no matter WHAT she put out it wasn't getting played period. And the other venues she went down got her hits on those venues (R&B hits & dance hits).

Discipline is the era MTV decided to make atone and let her come back, there's NO way that didn't Feedback break the top 20

Yea no, they slow down diva's in their 40's pop radio & video play but they don't do a full on stop like that, she doesn't compare to most pop megastars after 40 because she didn't fade out, she was shut out (also Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, TIna Turner, Cher, Carly Simon, Barbra Streisand, & Gladys all had top 20 hits video plays & promo in their 40s as well with Madonna, it doesn't happen to every pop or R&B girl but it happens to the ones like Janet, and all of them got hits off mediocre work compared to their prime)

He has and had zero power. You keep bringing that up but that has NOTHING to do with Janet being blacklisted on radio and by Viacom. I get he put the blame on her. Perfect PR. Probably why Janet hired the same PR company that JT is apart of 

Mix reviews? That’s cute (Metacritic): 

Damita Jo: 53

20YO: 52

Discipline: 61 

Flop in the Woods: 55 

She put out shit so it got the attention it deserved. None of the singles from 2004-2010 were stellar (including Make Me but it’s definitely an improvement)

Ask P!nk about being ignored by Pop radio.. That’s the way life goes in the pop world.

As far as those legendary women go... LITERALLY NONE of them has had a hit in the new millennium.. the radio scene has change dramatically in the 2000s so you cannot compare those Legends from the 1900s to Janet Jackson and any pop act of today. 

Britney Spears was blacklisted from pop radio too for a while.. not comparing but her albums didn’t suffer... if the music was solid then Janet didn’t need radio 

2 hours ago, Voodoo Child said:

Either you can't read Game or your comprehension is lacking. Where did I state that Discipline was Janet getting back on track musically...I called the bitch mediocre in the very next sentence.

Over it.

:rolleyes:

Yes yes. I know. :asham:  I read that first and was offended. I’m not saying sorry -_- 

We can all agree that Janet was blacklisted by Viacom on radio. We can all agree that she got 99.927491% of the blame and punishment. But let’s not pretend Janet didn’t drop the ball artistically but she picked herself back up. She worked harder and although it’s not where it should be or once was, Janet is on the rise.

PreGame Prediction™: Her next album will outselling Unbreakable  

While certain songs from their respective era did stick and are considered amongst fan favorites, if any one says JJ, DS, 20YO, and/or Discipline is their  “favorite Janet Jackson album(s)”... Don’t trust em -_- We all can agree with that. 

Yes I left out Damita Jo. While it was terrible, it’s the best of her bottom five.

5 hours ago, State of the Game said:

He has and had zero power. You keep bringing that up but that has NOTHING to do with Janet being blacklisted on radio and by Viacom. I get he put the blame on her. Perfect PR. Probably why Janet hired the same PR company that JT is apart of 

Mix reviews? That’s cute (Metacritic): 

Damita Jo: 53

20YO: 52

Discipline: 61 

Flop in the Woods: 55 

She put out shit so it got the attention it deserved. None of the singles from 2004-2010 were stellar (including Make Me but it’s definitely an improvement)

Ask P!nk about being ignored by Pop radio.. That’s the way life goes in the pop world.

As far as those legendary women go... LITERALLY NONE of them has had a hit in the new millennium.. the radio scene has change dramatically in the 2000s so you cannot compare those Legends from the 1900s to Janet Jackson and any pop act of today. 

Britney Spears was blacklisted from pop radio too for a while.. not comparing but her albums didn’t suffer... if the music was solid then Janet didn’t need radio 

Every A lister has power, its common sense, he joined in on the ruin Janet bandwagon, and it was powerful enough to completely take the heat off him, if he had No power him coming out against her wouldn't have benefitted him at all, he would've gotten the same or similar treatment to her.

Again, mixed reviews don't matter, if radio aint fuckin with you, they aint fuckin with you no matter what critics or audiences say, nothing she released supported that treatment, her 1st 2 albums got radio play & promo & had worse reception than 2004-08 projects. 

P!nk wasn't blacklisted, and none of the women I named were blacklisted either, point is they got to fade out, not get SHUT out. Britney is the Queen of Mixed reviews, her best albums fall in line with Janets 04-08 and all got mixed reception at best, her sales did what they did because she had major endorsement promo everywhere, along with the videos  & tours, radio played a small part for her because she had EVERYTHING else that most pop artists didn't/don't.  Janet putting out her best work wouldnt "help"anything or anyone but us, the GP thought 20 was a greatest hit compilation mostly, the music didnt get played so it couldnt get requested, no matter what she released as long as it followed that Superbowl it wouldve been blocked. The only way great metacritic reviews would help is if good reviews promised good sales & good chart positions. Thats demanding in her case the gp buy albums based soley off the reviews, since they cant hear or request the new music, and thats not how casual fans of pop artists role. If that were the case Prince would have WAY more successful albums & hits than he does. But hes a perfect example that thats not how the business works.

17 hours ago, Dal said:

Viacom was surely a factor, but moreso it was MTV that had to have made the clear decision to blacklist her. I remember on TRL they had a segment announcing new album releases on the day that Damita Jo came out and they ran through every random album dropping that day but mysteriously didn’t even acknowledge DJ.

its possible that Viacom called up the head of programming at MTV and said hey quit playing Janet’s shit until further notice, but if that’s the case then why did Viacom-owned BET continue to fiercely promote Janet and her projects? And VH1 for that matter because I remember seeing IWY and ANDS videos played on VH1 AM video blocks almost as much as BET. So I take issue with the full blame being levied at Viacom as these channels (MTV, BET, VH1) because while yes they are under the Viacom umbrella, they still have their own CEOs and program directors and marketers that also have vast input in what they choose to show on their networks.

It was definitely Viacom. I remember watching MTV's TRL that same day Damita Jo was released. Fans from different Janet message boards had talked about going to TRL and holding up Damito Jo posters and albums to show support and let people know she had a new album out. They did indeed do that and I remember the camera went to the crowd outside full of people holding up Damita Jo posters and cds and the host said "I don't know what's going on out there" but they knew wtf was going on. It made me so mad.

4 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

It was definitely Viacom. I remember watching MTV's TRL that same day Damita Jo was released. Fans from different Janet message boards had talked about going to TRL and holding up Damito Jo posters and albums to show support and let people know she had a new album out. They did indeed do that and I remember the camera went to the crowd outside full of people holding up Damita Jo posters and cds and the host said "I don't know what's going on out there" but they knew wtf was going on. It made me so mad.

Yes I remember those poster boards on TRL lol

On 2/11/2018 at 11:32 AM, Illi said:

You trying to feel entitled for Janet to say something when you really aren't.

Why does Janet have to be rude for not saying anything? Some of you are the one's that want to make it controversial. Most fans weren't really expecting anything.

Stop pulling shit out of your ass. I said in this thread I didn't care whether she said anything or not. I just enjoy poking holes in your faulty positions. And y'all make it so easy to do.

32 minutes ago, J. said:

Stop pulling shit out of your ass. I said in this thread I didn't care whether she said anything or not. I just enjoy poking holes in your faulty positions. And y'all make it so easy to do.

Why are still arguing then? 

And what holes? You just want to think you have more of a right to complain about Janet than for others to defend her. And weren't you trashing Lamont's efforts?

But who cares now? Janet has spoken. Order restored.

• Like 2