NYLON: Janet Jackson’s ‘Discipline’ Was Way Ahead Of Its Time

Deeper

47 minutes ago, State of the Game said:

I read it the first time. You’re wrong. RWU would have flopped in the “height of EDM” like it did when it was released. That is all

Again that's not what was being argued. :lmao:

You quoted the argument but took it out of context. :lmao:

if I'm honest, I only really like RWU because I wanted to like at least 5 songs from the album. production and video wise it bops and could possibly get more airplay nowadays if it was released. Doesn't mean I think its a great song or that it would be a hit now.

FB banged then and still does.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, vibeology said:

if I'm honest, I only really like RWU because I wanted to like at least 5 songs from the album. production and video wise it bops and could possibly get more airplay nowadays if it was released. Doesn't mean I think its a great song or that it would be a hit now.

FB banged then and still does.

Had to force yourself to like to because you thought more was coming 

On 3/1/2018 at 6:00 PM, Utopia said:

The album would have to be packed with FB and RWU to be ahead of it's time. 

True, I'd actually argue this album got it right in terms of most of the dance numbers, the only slow jam it got right was Can't Be Good, but the majority of the dance tracks were on point and memorable

12 hours ago, jarrylf said:

True, I'd actually argue this album got it right in terms of most of the dance numbers, the only slow jam it got right was Can't Be Good, but the majority of the dance tracks were on point and memorable

The slow part of the album is what disgusts me tbh. It just drags the whole album down <_< They are boring, lifeless and lack Janet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Utopia said:

The slow part of the album is what disgusts me tbh. It just drags the whole album down <_< They are boring, lifeless and lack Janet.

Such strong words but true :lol:

The album completely flatlines for me when the slow tracks start...just soul destroying.

Cant Be Good is not a slow jam though

The writer sure does give Blackout a LOT of credit.  It was a not a "moment."  It was good for someone who had just publicly gone bat shit crazy I guess.  And discipline was not a "Janet" album.  It was a bunch of other producers' and writers' flash in the pan, in my opinion.  

• 3 months later...

I forget how some of these tracks sound but my highlights were Always Feedback, Rock With U, Luv, 2nite & Never Letchu Go. Curtains grew on me later.

She has a tendency to make long albums. I’d be content with a 9 track album ala Control where every song is a banger. 

54 minutes ago, bu. said:

I forget how some of these tracks sound but my highlights were Always Feedback, Rock With U, Luv, 2nite & Never Letchu Go. Curtains grew on me later.

She has a tendency to make long albums. I’d be content with a 9 track album ala Control where every song is a banger. 

Not every song and Control was only 9 tracks bc technology wasn’t to par

and the more the merrier 

Discipline was and remains garbage with about 5 redeemable songs. The only forward-thinking songs on it are Feedback and RWU. The article saying it's "the album she needed to release," lmao, as if there was some artistic impetus for it when it was clearly just thrown out there to fulfill obligations and attempt a weak chart return.

And RWU would never have been a pop hit because 1) it's 100% whispered, 2) it lacks a catchy hook, and 3) it has one verse repeated. It's a dance hit and that's that. Not every EDM song becomes a smash in Europe, for that you need a real chorus.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, eli's_rhythm said:

Discipline was and remains garbage with about 5 redeemable songs. The only forward-thinking songs on it are Feedback and RWU. The article saying it's "the album she needed to release," lmao, as if there was some artistic impetus for it when it was clearly just thrown out there to fulfill obligations and attempt a weak chart return.

And RWU would never have been a pop hit because 1) it's 100% whispered, 2) it lacks a catchy hook, and 3) it has one verse repeated. It's a dance hit and that's that. Not every EDM song becomes a smash in Europe, for that you need a real chorus.

I cannot!! Where are them lies?!? I cannot find any

• Like 1

RWU would have def been a hit.

its one of my fav Janet songs of all time.

those “ohhohhh ooooo oooo o”s

its timeless, catchy and simple

It fitted right in with the dance craze at the time in Europe and with Janet’s signature style on top, it def would have been a moderate sized it if promoted right.

Feedback was def a fun song, and that’s what she needed at that time for her return, something catchy, radio made, still signature Janet but not desperate and weak.