Now Trending: People Noticing Bruno Mars Appropriating Black Music

Wasn't this a 2017 interview? But anyway... He is far from being the biggest offender. He gives props all the time to those who inspire him and doesn't just use the sound/culture when it benefits him. This is no Gum Cyrus type of thing.

If people want to complain than complain to the grammys and other awards who reward and praise  to high heavens the music made by sam smith, Adele etc, while calling the black artists who do the same type of music boring and uninspired.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Utopia said:

If people want to complain than complain to the grammys and other awards who reward and praise  to high heavens the music made by sam smith, Adele etc, while calling the black artists who do the same type of music boring and uninspired.

Disagree. What Adele & Sam does is hott and fresh. 

People are sponges they absorb everything around them and if he listens to ‘black people music’ then that is going to show in his music. Music transcends all boundaries, are people going to start hating on dark skinned people if they produce music that isn’t rap or hip hop next?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I didn't realize people were STILL upseT @ Bruno for making quality rnb music.  Is it appropriating if that's what he grew up with AND shout out the people who inspired and influenced this sound he experimented with?  It's amazing how people are targeting their ignorance and anger at Bruno, when the "black people" that should be making rnb music would rather make trap music that is tired and overexposed.

Also, if an artist is making "urban" music, then urban radio will play them.  Adele was getting massive airplay on adult rnb radio with her songs.  Madonna made music catered to rnb radio back in the day.  She was played on urban radio.  It really isn't different when urban artists crossover to appeal to mainstream music when they typically are urban artists.

This debate is useless.  His sound for his last album was a throwback to a genre(new jack swing) that hasn't been around since the late 80's/early 90's.  The grammys liked it.  Urban radio liked it.  Pop liked it.  So HE WON.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, JoeJoe said:

Well he is being a karaoke singer sampling and copying black people's music. Nobody better not dare say he's Black cause he ain't got nan black in him.

We know he isn't black. :rolleyes:

So how come Janet can sample white people's music and not get called out for it? 

It doesn't make any sense for yall to be this dense.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hotboy06 said:

We know he isn't black. :rolleyes:

So how come Janet can sample white people's music and not get called out for it? 

It doesn't make any sense for yall to be this dense.

You mad huh? And sampling is different from cultural appropriation. Bruno got a hit with "Uptown Funk" and then next thing you know the rest of his songs are using the same formula and now he's pop-lockin, be boppin', and swag droppin. Bruno was never like this before. He doing the same thing J. Ho did when she got a hit with black music and next thing you know she was doing the same shit. Let's get it together:rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, JoeJoe said:

You mad huh? And sampling is different from cultural appropriation. Bruno got a hit with "Uptown Funk" and then next thing you know the rest of his songs are using the same formula and now he's pop-lockin, be boppin', and swag droppin. Bruno was never like this before. He doing the same thing J. Ho did when she got a hit with black music and next thing you know she was doing the same shit. Let's get it together:rolleyes:

No, I'm not mad. :rolleyes: So now, he can't evolve as an artist and be inspired by music that he grew up with..:rolleyes: He's no different than any other artist that experiments with different sounds.  It's an issue because he's not black, but is catering to an urban audience. :rolleyes:

Let Bruno be great and talented. :rolleyes:

Again it's a very ignorant & uninformed opinion to make about him and Latino artists that cross over into hip hop & R&B. The ignorance over "he won the Grammy's he did making that music cause he's not black" would make sense if there were tons of mainstream black artists making similar albums, selling the same or more and having the same kinds of hits or impacts with them. It's not happening right now, period. R&B artists today are busy making EDM mumble rap with the same beats, busy with trying to sound "Current". Bruno made the best R&B album I've heard in years, he wrote them songs, composed them,  played most of the instruments & properly credits every artist, producer & musician that inspired everything he does, and he's been that way from jump. AND AGAIN.....as I said months ago.....Hip Hop culture has Latin roots to it too, it's not a black thing and anyone who thinks it is is uninformed and doesn't know the history, and need to look up the stories of hip hop pioneers

2 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

Problem with your theory Joe, why it doesn't add up, he started in this industry as a producer and songwriter....MOSTLY for R&B & Hip hop artists.....his  1st 2 features, that were on hip hop artists songs....In all his interviews throughout his career, he's been referencing R&B & Hip Hop artists since the beginning, same with his swag and style, it's all in the interviews, he's exactly the same and anyone who pays attention will say it, he was like this before. :coffee:

22 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

Bruno wrote Forget You before he released Just The Way You Are. Soul/R&B has always been part of his music.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, hotboy06 said:

No, I'm not mad. :rolleyes: So now, he can't evolve as an artist and be inspired by music that he grew up with..:rolleyes: He's no different than any other artist that experiments with different sounds.  It's an issue because he's not black, but is catering to an urban audience. :rolleyes:

Who said he can't evolve but you call that evolving? No sir lol. I guess that was J. Ho evolving too when she did the same thing. And that enough of all that eye rolling:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Bruno wrote Forget You before he released Just The Way You Are. Soul/R&B has always been part of his music.

See Kishi I didn't mind Bruno when he was doing stuff like that. Just The Way You Are is one of my faves but that's not like anything he's doing now. Now he just straight up doing a J. Lo and that's why Blacks are calling him out. Bruno is cool with me and he's very talented but what he's doing right now is straight up Karaoke. I love the music he's doing but I won't deny what he's doing.

26 minutes ago, JoeJoe said:

Who said he can't evolve but you call that evolving? No sir lol. I guess that was J. Ho evolving too when she did the same thing. And that enough of all that eye rolling:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Yes, that's evolving..and why you keep using J. Ho as an example..even though she did have urban elements in her music(and got played on urban radio, etc.), she's no where near as talented as Bruno. :rolleyes: And if you look @ Bruno from the beginning to where he is now, yes, he evolved as an artist. J. Lo, not so much.

11 minutes ago, hotboy06 said:

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Yes, that's evolving..and why you keep using J. Ho as an example..even though she did have urban elements in her music(and got played on urban radio, etc.), she's no where near as talented as Bruno. :rolleyes: And if you look @ Bruno from the beginning to where he is now, yes, he evolved as an artist. J. Lo, not so much.

I know she ain't as talented. I know Bruno has evolved as an artist but this post is about what he got called out as and that in itself ain't evolving. Justin did the same thing. That ain't evolving.

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2018 at 11:40 AM, Amy said:

People are sponges they absorb everything around them and if he listens to ‘black people music’ then that is going to show in his music. Music transcends all boundaries, are people going to start hating on dark skinned people if they produce music that isn’t rap or hip hop next?

I love this but then people be like “what about JT” :lmao: 

On 3/12/2018 at 3:46 PM, hotboy06 said:

Replace Bruno with JT :coffee: JT grew up with R&B but he’s “appropriating”... both give credit.. one is white. The other is not

JT was great and he’s talented in a sense. 

This came up in JT’s thread. Yet Bruno doing the same shit. I guess JT evolved :lmao: 

6 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

See Kishi I didn't mind Bruno when he was doing stuff like that. Just The Way You Are is one of my faves but that's not like anything he's doing now. Now he just straight up doing a J. Lo and that's why Blacks are calling him out. Bruno is cool with me and he's very talented but what he's doing right now is straight up Karaoke. I love the music he's doing but I won't deny what he's doing.

That doesnt make sense tho, if this is the kind of music ultimately hes been making as a writer & producer since before his debut lead single that means this is who hes always been, his discography as a whole has more R&B hip hop & funk than it does pop. Thats why anyone arguing hes appropriating is wrong.

58 minutes ago, State of the Game said:

Replace Bruno with JT :coffee: JT grew up with R&B but he’s “appropriating”... both give credit.. one is white. The other is not

JT was great and he’s talented in a sense. 

This came up in JT’s thread. Yet Bruno doing the same shit. I guess JT evolved :lmao: 

Game.....they dont remotely compare. Bruno doesn't just give credit, and he wasnt just raised on it, he made a name for himself as a producer & writer in Urban genres before becoming a pop star. The same cant be said for Justin, Justin came out pop AF, THEN Down the line started dipping in R&B. So this is talented Bruno apples and untalented Justin oranges.^_^