What if Janet made an album full of ballads?

Kaleidoscope Eyes

15 hours ago, FreelovesJJ said:

Oh actually let me take some of it back - I REALLY like Lessons Learned & Promise of You but she has not had a strong R&B ballad ie - IGL, FHTF, even IWY since 2004 ish. Strong R&B. 

Ive never been a big fan of Can't Be Good. It's ok. 

IGL isn’t a ballad imo. The tempo is wayyy to fast. 

IWY is trash

34 minutes ago, State of the Game said:

IGL isn’t a ballad imo. The tempo is wayyy to fast. 

IWY is trash

I kinda agree with you on IGL. But it seems like some music critics want to categorize it that way.

Eh. I thought IWY was one of the highlights of DJ but I didn't really think it made for a strong single.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Illi said:

I kinda agree with you on IGL. But it seems like some music critics want to categorize it that way.

Eh. I thought IWY was one of the highlights of DJ but I didn't really think it made for a strong single.

I agree that IWY is a dope track. I do think IGL is a ballad it's just not a very slow one. It rises & slows but tempo as far as vocally & mood is a ballad to me. I don't think it has to be very slow to count. 

12 hours ago, Illi said:

That’s weird. I can see why people call it that but I don’t consider it that

Clearly DJ lacks highlights if IWY is considered a great song 

And thus the confusion around what is considered a ballad vs. what is considered a mid-tempo... 

popular urban music today (Trap) is generally on the slow side, so we’re Livin’ In A World of slower tempos overall. 

But still, I would definitely consider After You Fall, Black Eagle and Lessons Learned to all be ballads, and in my opinion, songs that stand up with Janet’s best works.

No Sleeep IMO is a quintessential mid-tempo, in the vain of Got Til It’s Gone, That’s The Way Love Goes or Unbreakable. 

I too have issues with Discipline as an album, particularly from the songwriting and vocal production standpoints. But among the the cuts on that album, Can’t B Good is the very best vocal she did there. 

I would be interested to see how we rank Janet’s best ballads. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wayneashleymusic said:

And thus the confusion around what is considered a ballad vs. what is considered a mid-tempo... 

popular urban music today (Trap) is generally on the slow side, so we’re Livin’ In A World of slower tempos overall. 

But still, I would definitely consider After You Fall, Black Eagle and Lessons Learned to all be ballads, and in my opinion, songs that stand up with Janet’s best works.

No Sleeep IMO is a quintessential mid-tempo, in the vain of Got Til It’s Gone, That’s The Way Love Goes or Unbreakable. 

I too have issues with Discipline as an album, particularly from the songwriting and vocal production standpoints. But among the the cuts on that album, Can’t B Good is the very best vocal she did there. 

I would be interested to see how we rank Janet’s best ballads. 

I don't consider Black Eagle a ballad..it's more midtempo imo.  But it's her best written song, so I don't care to categorize it. LOL.

8 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

I've been waiting for someone to say this. Fans really overrate tf outta that song. 

The best slow jam/ballad on DJ is CTBL. 

I think IWY is decent. I don't see fans calling it some masterpiece or underrated gem though.  If there's one song the fans overhype of DJ, it's Island Life. CTBL is just simply forgettable.

12 hours ago, Illi said:

I think IWY is decent. I don't see fans calling it some masterpiece or underrated gem though.  If there's one song the fans overhype of DJ, it's Island Life. CTBL is just simply forgettable.

IL is definitely overrated but only on J|X. They love that song on there, for some reason unbeknown to me. 

1 hour ago, State of the Game said:

Sadly, it didn’t make the US version 

It shouldn't have either lol. LYDLM fits the album better.

12 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

IL is definitely overrated but only on J|X. They love that song on there, for some reason unbeknown to me. 

It shouldn't have either lol. LYDLM fits the album better.

I mean IL grew on me a little, but some fans say it should have been a single. Bish whet?

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:45 PM, Mr. Wonder said:

"You", sweetie, I am so sorry.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:24 AM, J. said:

It’s not, by a significant margin :lol:

Denying the Gospel will only bring you sorrow and despair. Blasphemers.

MiZBI9h.gif

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, J. said:

It’s not even the best lyrically on the album. Lessons > You have to read the lyric book to find out though

LL is nice lyrically..but..

Beautiful soul I haven't met
A spiritual connection I'll never forget
Your precious light incredible
Sharing his love that is meant for us all
Come out of shadows into the light
Be free to imagine the future you'd like
Soaring above all of your boundaries
Yes the day will come
Just remember when you're overwhelmed
Dream and take some time to love yourself
Believe you're free to do whatever you want