Can we now laugh about past era missteps?

Kaleidoscope Eyes

Remember pre-2OYO era Janet dropped a cover of “Weekend” on the old Janet site. I remember being a junior in high school and cutting class to listen to the “surprise” on her website. All hell broke lose causing Janet to let us know that wasn’t the single. For the record, I thought Weekend was cute. The 2O era had so many meltdowns from stans. The FHM spread, billboard awards performance, oprah interview.:lol:

Alot of fans were giving Janet the side-eye during that debacle but she put all of them into a state of Utopia when 'Enjoy' was released and for a brief moment all of her fans were on the same page and celebrating. Enjoy was the 08 Obama of that album but then politics crept back in and folks went back to being bitter and angry. 

With that said, Weekend was the Sarah Palin of that era. :unsure:

• Upvote 3

some folks did like "Call on Me"  the era as a whole was a mess, and even Janet said later on the music wasn't right ....personally I always felt like JD should have just been her man and give his thoughts here and there, I was never here for him being in her music, that was something Janet should have left to those who understood who Janet was and how to package that...I still think back to Damita Jo and how "I Want You" should have been an Alicia Keys track

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:24 AM, Bailey. said:

some folks did like "Call on Me"  the era as a whole was a mess, and even Janet said later on the music wasn't right ....personally I always felt like JD should have just been her man and give his thoughts here and there, I was never here for him being in her music, that was something Janet should have left to those who understood who Janet was and how to package that...I still think back to Damita Jo and how "I Want You" should have been an Alicia Keys track

When?

I remember being disappointed as fuck when I first heard Call On Me...it just felt so...weak. Shit Weekend packed a bigger punch for me.

I also remember a thread on here saying "what's your favourite part of the song?" and my response the was the hand claps lol

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, vibeology said:

When?

I remember being disappointed as fuck when I first heard Call On Me...it just felt so...weak. Shit Weekend packed a bigger punch for me.

I also remember a thread on here saying "what's your favourite part of the song?" and my response the hand claps lol

It was an interview (of course) she did during "Discipline" where she said "the music wasn't right" I'd have to try and find the receipt but I clearly remember her saying that

EDIT: this is not the best source BUT it does replay some statements Janet made http://thatgrapejuice.net/2008/02/janet-damita-jo-20-y-o-werent-right/