The Other News Thread

Mr. Wonder

I have a major problem with this point of view. I don't think Janet's made any major errors this era and I think it's extremely petty to hold cancellations and postponements over her head. I also don't think she's overexerting herself with the tour.

What I feel strongly is that we as fans overthink every single thing.

For fcks sakes......she's been touring since August 31st!  What don't they understand.  Usually the promo is done before the tour.  If some people just can't understand that she is doing things a little different this time around there's no point in arguing with their ignorant asses. Janet hasn't made any errors.  Everything that has come from her lips has come true.  It's a 3 year engagement as far as this album is concerned which will include specials and God knows what else.  Seriously some of these people are acting like little kids who need instant gratification no matter what.  Well you know what.....Janet is going to teach them some patience even if they decide to leave the board or quit on Janet for a while.  But trust they will be back! 

• Upvote 1

Please do. :rolleyes:

I've already stated that I've completely lost interest in this era almost two months ago. Janet has done absolutely nothing to create hype for her album. Hell, Neka's "Wanted" poster received more press than Janet has in the past five months. I vividly remember being more excited for Discipline than for #Unpromoted. As if not creating hype wasn't enough, Janet made more than a few questionable career moves, which is why I said, she just does not want to win this era.

1. Not promoting. Regardless of whether you believe selling isn't important, it is. The music industry is a business, not a charitable organization. The point of putting out an album is to make money. The purpose of business is to make money. Janet released her first album in seven years. That alone is a huge selling point, esp for an artist of her stature. And she didn't bother to market the album and herself as that. When Whitney released her first album in 7 years back in 2009, she was on GMA, Dancing With The Stars, X-Factor UK, X-Factor Italy, Oprah, and a host of other shows. And her album sold very well despite no hits (it was close to scanning platinum before her death). What promo has Janet done other than learning how to retweet? Hell Jimmy and Terry have done more interviews and discussed the album ore than she has. Selling point #1 missed. Secondly, it is widely accepted by fans (although incorrectly stated) and non-fans that TVR is Janet's best album. Critics are calling UB her best album since TVR. That, too, is a huge selling point. Opportunity #2 missed. She's back with longtime collaborators Jimmy and Terry. The nostalgia associated with that trio generates interest, because the trio has such an impressive track record. It rounds up the old fans as a backbone for the support of the album. Selling point #3 missed. Then she took a whole week off from the tour, the same week the album was coming out, to not promote the damn thing. :rolleyes: She, instead, went to Paris Fashion Week. Like, izzusurius? :umm: 

2. Missed opportunities. BET promoted the tribute across social media and television. If you were on Twitter at the time, that's what everyone was waiting for. She was the biggest name and a major selling point of the show. Performances sell. How do you think FB got up to #19 on the Hot 100? She had a huge platform to promote the song she had just put out a week prior, and didn't seize the opportunity. She had one of the biggest stages in music to remind us who "Janet Jackson" is and why she is who she is, along with the opportunity to introduce herself to a new generation. And she didn't bother to do it. That was just a stupid decision imo. Then she skipped out on the iHeart Music Festival. They sold tickets based on her being there, and she canceled at the last minute. Upset the organization, while embarrassing them at the same time, and upset fan who expected her to be there. There's a burned bridge there. They probably won't spin her tracks because of that. Unnecessary bad blood. The VMAs, missed. I'm sure she won't even bother with the AMAs unless they're giving her some type of award. The only thing left is X-Factor, but let's not hold our breaths.

3. Overall dumb decisions. She tweeted a few times that she was thankful for the success NS was having on Adult R&B radio. Last week it was atop the chart for 9 weeks. With all the success the song is having on R&B radio, critics praising the song, why the hell would you submit it for POP Grammys?!?!?! :umm: :umm::umm: 

veyzrp.jpg

She just totally blew her chance at a nomination, or even a win. And what is the second single? Unbreakable? BurnItUp? Does Janet even know she has an album out? There's only been one video and two lyric videos. There's no new photoshoots. No new interviews. No performances. Nothing to really keep the interest. The attention span of the general public isn't what it was 20 years ago. We're not in the past, and in this market it's here today, gone tomorrow. The label is talking about a 2-3 year plan. When are these things gonna happen when she's doing tour dates every other day? She has December off, and you know she's not doing shit then. The tour picks up again second week of January, and she's booked through June. Also, have you looked at the tour dates? Why is she short changing Europe? Where is Africa? South America has been demanding her since 2009. Where is Oceania? You all keep talking about this 2-3 year plan as if down the road she's gonna have this burst of energy to promote the record. She's her own person, and if she doesn't have to do it (i.e. under label control) she's not going to do it. Hence why she hasn't done it yet. Maybe she'll prove me wrong, but from the looks of things, she ain't interested in it after having passed up several opportunities. That's why I said, she could have kept all of this if she wasn't going to show any interest in the project. 

• Upvote 7

For fcks sakes......she's been touring since August 31st!  What don't they understand.  Usually the promo is done before the tour.  If some people just can't understand that she is doing things a little different this time around there's no point in arguing with their ignorant asses. Janet hasn't made any errors.  Everything that has come from her lips has come true.  It's a 3 year engagement as far as this album is concerned which will include specials and God knows what else.  Seriously some of these people are acting like little kids who need instant gratification no matter what.  Well you know what.....Janet is going to teach them some patience even if they decide to leave the board or quit on Janet for a while.  But trust they will be back! 

I guess they want her ass to be walking with a cane on tour like Madonna and climb all on her dancers and have them carry her around to hide the fact that it's hard for her to move just like Madonna. Janet is not the first artist to cancel dates and won't be the last. She's done the same since Rhythm Nation

Well Austin you explained very well (as usual) I can understand how you'd feel that way, but at the same time Im sorry you feel that way. You gotta let go of what "should" & "what you want" to happen, and just watch what happens. There was definitely TONS more promo for the last 3 albums (4 including #1's) but what's clear through the music & tour itself she definitely cares. It's in the words, it's in the melody's. This is something Im dealing with too, it's very different for her, But how much promo did Tina Turner & Prince do for their last albums? She's playing a whole new ball game, her purpose clearly isn't to just sell music anymore. As I've said repeatedly, she knows EXACTLY what she could've done to get this albums numbers bigger (maybe even bigger than AFY & TVR opening week), Im too sure she's aware performing No Sleeep at BET could've made it huge, performing at the VMA's and AMa's could've made alot more things bigger, but she chose not to for reasons unclear to us, but we gotta know they're obviously clear for her. I don't know if you'll be wrong, I don't really care, I want more videos, I want more interviews and performances and photoshoots and looks, but this era is clearly about what SHE wants, and we just gotta accept what she gives us....or don't

• Upvote 4

There was definitely TONS more promo for the last 3 albums (4 including #1's) but what's clear through the music & tour itself she definitely cares. It's in the words, it's in the melody's. This is something Im dealing with too, it's very different for her, But how much promo did Tina Turner & Prince do for their last albums? She's playing a whole new ball game, her purpose clearly isn't to just sell music anymore. As I've said repeatedly, she knows EXACTLY what she could've done to get this albums numbers bigger (maybe even bigger than AFY & TVR opening week), Im too sure she's aware performing No Sleeep at BET could've made it huge, performing at the VMA's and AMa's could've made alot more things bigger, but she chose not to for reasons unclear to us, but we gotta know they're obviously clear for her. I don't know if you'll be wrong, I don't really care, I want more videos, I want more interviews and performances and photoshoots and looks, but this era is clearly about what SHE wants, and we just gotta accept what she gives us....or don't

I don't think I really started getting an idea of what (I think) she's doing until yesterday. It was the first time I had heard "No Sleeep" on the radio. It was in the afternoon sandwiched between Patti LaBelle :You are my friend" and Brian McKnight "Back at One." The only people that really had R&B chart dominance like Janet were R. Kelly and Aretha, but that was mainstream. They still play her biggest hits classic pop and R&B. No one can deny she has influenced popular music, video, and culture. But could you imagine 15 years ago Janet being lumped in with Patti and Brian on adult R&B? I think she's cementing her legacy as well-rounded singer AND entertainer. Even the handling of this tour makes me feel like she's moving more from being like Madonna/Britney with spectacle and/or dance to being more like Aerosmith/Tina Turner: classic acts you know sing live, have a dependable catalog,  and may not move like they did at 30 but are still giving more energy on stage than people 1/2 their age. There is a plan in motion. I want more videos and performances myself, but I'm still interested in where she's taking it.

• Upvote 2

Putting it that way, intelligently like you usually do, shines it in a different light. I actually agree with you except for the losing interest part. I'm just waiting impatiently, and highly frustrated. I'm completely annoyed that she did nothing with Buritup, other than release it, and a lyric video, which is completely unnecessary right now. I will make an effort to remain positive, but I'm getting to the point where I have no idea what to expect. She's not performing for some reason, and as you stated, and with someone like Janet, that is the main reason we're fans. Thanks for your INTELLIGENT insight, and for not being a cunt towards Janet.

However, you fucks better not come in here disrespecting Janet, because I will gladly risk being banned!!!!

• Upvote 1

Thank you. ^_^ 

With this album, there is so much more that could be done. This is her first album in seven years, as a bona fide legend. Honestly, right now she should be the biggest attention whore on the planet. She should really be everywhere, to the point where it's getting annoying seeing her. And it would all be justified because UB is a GREAT album, her best since TVR. "Night" and "Take Me Away" are just waiting in the wings to be hits internationally, esp in Europe. Maybe she'll release them as singles there as the tour gets closer to the Euro leg, but idk. She catered to an audience that doesn't buy albums, they buy tickets. That's why the tour is doing well, and probably explains why she's back dooring promo by selling the album through the tour versus the other way around. Something else has to happen in order to maintain the plan of a 2-3 year era, and NS alone is only gonna carry the album but so far. And we can't even enjoy the tour videos because they keep getting snatched, along with your social media account. At this point, she's left us with nothing to enjoy while she's on tour other than the album. This is partially why fans are losing interest. They need a little more than just the album and retweets. 

• Upvote 2

She can just perform then.

I 100% agree. That's what I don't get. She better be at some award shows pretty soon

Thank you. ^_^ 

With this album, there is so much more that could be done. This is her first album in seven years, as a bona fide legend. Honestly, right now she should be the biggest attention whore on the planet. She should really be everywhere, to the point where it's getting annoying seeing her. And it would all be justified because UB is a GREAT album, her best since TVR. "Night" and "Take Me Away" are just waiting in the wings to be hits internationally, esp in Europe. Maybe she'll release them as singles there as the tour gets closer to the Euro leg, but idk. She catered to an audience that doesn't buy albums, they buy tickets. That's why the tour is doing well, and probably explains why she's back dooring promo by selling the album through the tour versus the other way around. Something else has to happen in order to maintain the plan of a 2-3 year era, and NS alone is only gonna carry the album but so far. And we can't even enjoy the tour videos because they keep getting snatched, along with your social media account. At this point, she's left us with nothing to enjoy while she's on tour other than the album. This is partially why fans are losing interest. They need a little more than just the album and retweets. 

Yup this thing is gonna loose steam. I don't know why she wants to take 3yrs and that alone makes me think this is her last project. I think she wants to do other things than record music. I'm guessing this is the last album for the fans

I will say to give way to express my "I wish side", with her & this album representing her label, it really would've been something to see her come out of the door SLAYING the charts and the media and making Rhythm Nation Records really a instant major success

true!

Since they already spilled there's something big planned for next year, I have my bet placed on album re-releases (anywhere from 1-11, or 3-11, or even just this 1) and tour DVD's...and maybe more  and hopefully she'd do  a full rollout promo for that kind of release. Like if she re-releases and treats that like a traditional release that'd be so great (didn't Mariah do that with the re-release of Emancipation, I think Rihanna did that too with GGGB)

Rumoured for X Factor. The Sun has the tea on X Factor because they're in cahoots with Simon/Syco. X Factor live shows start this weekend I think. It usually finishes around 2 weeks before Christmas. 

========================================================

Ellie had previously been tipped to appear on the X Factor as part of Simon Cowell's 'wishlist' of guest performers.

Other names were said to include Adele, Janet Jackson and Rihanna.

Read more: http://www.tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/the-x-factor/236962-x-factor-live-shows-little-mix-and-ellie-goulding-to-perform-next-weekend.html#ixzz3plilvoZM 
Follow us: @tellymix on Twitter | tellymix on Facebook

I posted about this in that other thread 

I REALLLLLLLY do think the BIU videois done honestly, and in editing or she has a date planned out. Truth is No Sleeep was shot  before the BET awards (same with the cover photoshoot)....I can tell cause of the hair, she didn't go as blonde as she is now until early-mid June, her hair for the cover shoot and the NS video is a mixture of colors but for BET, the tour book shoot, and the tour it's been way more blonde.

Patience is a virtue and is awarded very well.  People just enjoy the music for now and the fact that Janet is touring.  Janet has changed and you have to let her navigate her career how she wants to.  She aint one of these lessors who need to be everywhere!  The fact that Janet released something so beautiful as Unbreakable is enough for me.  Anything else is a bonus.  Calm t.f. down! Some of you guys acting like she's sitting at home on her ass.  The bitch is working!  

• Upvote 1

I REALLLLLLLY do think the BIU videois done honestly, and in editing or she has a date planned out. Truth is No Sleeep was shot  before the BET awards (same with the cover photoshoot)....I can tell cause of the hair, she didn't go as blonde as she is now until early-mid June, her hair for the cover shoot and the NS video is a mixture of colors but for BET, the tour book shoot, and the tour it's been way more blonde.

that's what I think. I doubt they'd record Missy just for the tour. That's probably from the video 

• Upvote 1

that's what I think. I doubt they'd record Missy just for the tour. That's probably from the video 

they record featuring artist just for the tour all the time. Its not uncommon. This isnt janets first time doin it. I actually doubt thats from the video 

Edited by janetDAYZ
  • Upvote 1

they record featuring artist just for the tour all the time. Its not uncommon. This isnt janets first time doin it. I actually doubt thats from the video 

I guess. So Excited had Fab recorded for the BB performance now that I think about it