The Other News Thread

Mr. Wonder

You guys won't be satisfied with anything unless Janet is #1. And come on, she's not the ONLY artist out there. I think the list is quite fair. She is top 10 after all. She's not "underrated" like some continue to claim.

I don't give a nary fuck. Three artists that haven't made 1/4 of an impact that Janet has is above her..and two out of the three said she has been an inspiration..I don't know if Adele said anything about her..and the fact that they are above Whitney is an insult. :mellow:

But, this is VH1 and luckily that didn't omit Janet altogether. It just doesn't sit right with me.

• Upvote 1

You guys won't be satisfied with anything unless Janet is #1. And come on, she's not the ONLY artist out there. I think the list is quite fair. She is top 10 after all. She's not "underrated" like some continue to claim.

With everything Janet has done in the past near 40 years, you're really gonna sit there with your tears, all alone with your fears, and say you are 100% comfortable with Janet's placement when 3 artists that are above her JUST came out in the past decade and haven't even had half the success Janet has had, nor have made half the impact or had half the influence? HONESTLY? :mellow:

No one is saying Janet should be #1, but with her being the #2 artist of the 90s, having sold 100 million+ records since 1990, and put out two highly acclaimed albums, it really makes you wonder WTF went on during the ranking process. And let's not even dare speak on Whitney being ranked below artists 3,4, and 5.

• Upvote 1

On Monday, February 20th...

The one and only Janet Jackson will join Anderson for an unforgettable interview about her career, her legendary brother Michael, her life-long struggle with self-esteem and weight, and so much more.

Janet’s chef consultant, Andre Carthen, will share personal recipes he prepares for Janet, which keep her looking so good. Plus, Janet’s longtime personal trainer Tony Martinez, who Janet credits for her amazing body transformation, shares his secrets for looking good.

Janet’s book, “True You,” is now available in paperback.

Also, it’s a television surprise that will have you dancing in your living room. A Janet-inspired dance troupe and super fans think they’re on the show for a dance-off, but what they don’t know is Janet is backstage about to give them the surprise of a lifetime.

Be sure to watch Janet Jackson, this President's Day, Monday, February 20.

http://www.andersoncooper.com/episodes/janet-jackson

• 2 weeks later...

Time: Top 10 Nude Magazine Covers

Janet Jackson, Rolling Stone

top10_janet_0227.jpg

The year 1993 was when a 24-year-old Janet Jackson came of age. After signing a contract worth nearly $50 million with Virgin Records, Jackson debuted on her new label the sexually charged album janet. It was chock-full of racy lyrics, but the carnality didn't stop there. For janet's cover, photographer Patrick Demarchelier snapped shots of the pop star shirtless, her chest covered only by then boyfriend Rene Elizondo's hands. According to the Los Angeles Times, Jackson offered photos from the session to Rolling Stone for its September 1993 cover story on the pop star. "We had a choice of shooting her ourselves," said Laurie Kratochvil, Rolling Stone's director of photography. "But they offered us this, and the image is very powerful. With the album, you get the face on the front and the stomach and legs on back. We get the middle part."

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2107768_2107767_2107765,00.html

• 2 months later...

Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg got married to his longtime girlfriend 27-year-old Priscilla Chan in a small ceremony at Mark’s Palo Alto, Calif., home. It was a humble and private wedding.

Priscilla Chan is a graduate from medical school at the University of California, San Francisco. The couple met at Harvard and have been together for more than nine years. Mark Zuckerberg designed the ring that has a very simple ruby on it.

The marriage ceremony took place in Zuckerberg’s backyard in presence of more or less than 100 guests. The guests were not aware of the marriage and they thought to be invited to celebrate Chan’s graduation but it turned out to be Mark and Chan wedding ceremony. It was a surprise for everybody. The news was announced on Facebook. Both he and Chan also updated their relationship status to “married.”

Zuckerberg wore a suit for the ceremony instead of his usual hoodie, while his bride was wearing a traditional wedding dress. Zuckerberg wedding party bumped Michael Jackson tracks all night long. Billie Joe Armstrong performed a touching love song at the wedding. The neighbor tells that there was plenty of upbeat music all night, including Flo Rida, Bon Jovi, Janet Jackson and Michael Jackson.

http://www.techmynd.com/mark-zuckerberg-got-married/

No wedding reception is complete without Janet. -_-

• 3 months later...

Something to look out for in the coming weeks; Jacked from J|X (Rip Keta -_-)

What are some of your favorite photo-shoots?

The Vogue cover with Mario Testino was a really good one. I just did one recently with my husband for breast cancer that's coming out in Cosmopolitan. We did a take on that famous Janet Jackson shot where her boobs are being held and she's wearing a pair of baggy Levi's. I did it with the curly hair and my husband holding my boobs. That should be out in September.

http://style.mtv.com/2012/08/28/mel-b-spice-girls-interview/

• 2 weeks later...

This is kinda "old", but didn't see it posted here.

Guatemala Invites Elton, Sting, U2, Bruce & Janet to Celebrate So-Called "End of the World"

December 21, 2012 marks the end of the Mayan calendar, which some people have interpreted as meaning the end of the world. And in the country of Guatemala, they're planning a helluva party to mark the occasion.

According to the European news agency AFP, the Culture Ministry of Guatemala has invited Elton John, Sting, Bruce Springsteen, U2 and Janet Jackson to what they're calling a "World Summit of Humanity" on December 21. They believe that, rather than marking the end of the world, the end of the Mayan calendar represents the beginning of a new era that will last 5,200 years.

The "World Summit of Humanity" aims to bring together “world leaders, thinkers, philosophers [and] scientists,” as well as musicians. There's no word on whether any of these big names will accept the invitation.

AFP quotes Culture Minister Carlos Batzin as saying, "We are at a turning point, a moment of opportunity, but overall of commitment, so that the natural order that the Mother Earth is going through parallels, as human beings, our lives [and] our civilizations."

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-news/2012/8/24/guatemala-invites-elton-sting-u2-bruce-janet-to-celebrate-so.html

Great opportunity for Janet considering she's never toured Latin America. A true testament of her global fame.

• Upvote 1

OMG, Missy just talked about a track she did/wants to do with Janet called Pussycat (i think that it's a remix) on her live USTREAM. If everything goes well Missy is ready to release it.

ANd OMG if it makes the cut it means that it was produced by Timbaland and he neever disappoints when it comes to Missy. COME THE FUCK ONN

2a6wen7jpg.gif

Loren Christie on how to vacation like a star

So what do Janet Jackson, Michael Jordan, Bill Clinton and I have in common? We all like to vacation in Anguilla.

Janet Jackson, as the story goes, went on her first trip to Anguilla with 17 bodyguards in tow. On the next visit, four, and on their third visit, she was wandering around the supermarket alone. Anguilla is not only a haven for celebrities looking for some true peace and quiet, but it knows how to cater to the world’s richest and most famous travellers.

OK, so maybe I didn’t need a bodyguard and I am sure our vacations may have been on different price points. However, that is the beauty of this island; it can also cater to those of us looking to simply taste the good life.

I did get a brief glimpse into what a celebrity might experience when we popped by the Ani Villas. I think the private chef and hot tub overlooking the private bay may have been my favourite parts. But it’s actually hard to remember, as my jaw was on the floor the whole time.

The modern and comfortable décor, the abundance of natural light, the outdoor pool area and the “wired” services throughout the villa were all incredible. If you have a group of people who want to have a memorable experience, I would highly recommend you check it out.

Now if people can’t make it to Anguilla, where else can they go to spot celebrities?

Film festivals, like TIFF, are a great way to include star gazing into your vacation. Celebrities are there working, not vacationing, so you actually have a much better time of meeting them. They are there to promote and mingle. Unlike, when they are actually on vacation and intruding into their personal space and time may not be welcomed.

For those who want to spend the money to holiday like a high-roller, a great website to check out is MillionairesConcierge.com. It can help you plan a whole range of high-end vacations, from renting out private islands to hiring personal jets to buying tickets to high profile events, like the Oscars and the Emmys.

A final tip for you to get a glimpse into the life of the rich and famous - look at checking in to a celebrity-owned hotel. Bono and The Edge’s The Clarence in Dublin, Ireland; Abba’s Benny Andersson’s Hotel Rivalin inStockholm, Sweden; Elizabeth Hurley’s No. 11 Cadogan Gardensin in London, England. Closer to home, have a look at Jason Priestley’s Terrace Beach Resort in Ucluelet, British Columbia.

Read more: http://canadaam.ctvnews.ca/travel/loren-christie-on-how-to-vacation-like-a-star-1.955615#ixzz27HXby2Jg

• 2 months later...

Bruce Springsteen, Radiohead, AC/DC And 13 Other Superstar Acts Deprived A UK No.1

Janet Jackson (Top 75 singles: 38; No.1s: 0)

JanetJacksonPA150411LS.jpg

Including 17 Top 10 hits. There are a few ‘featuring’s in there – and a duet with bro that was a surefire No.1 on paper – but whatever the circs, Janet’s had a bad rap. ‘What Have You Done For Me Lately?’. Exactly, British record-buying public. You owe her.

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=1&title=the_biggest_hitmakers_who_ve_never_had_a_1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

• Upvote 1