JD and Janet’s music

Look, I get many Janet fans weren’t too thrilled with JD’s misdirection of Janet’s sound from 20Yo to discipline...I don’t think JD was necessarily the problem but more so he was trying to replicate Mariah’s success (TEOM) with Janet. JD is a creative super producer and I feel like he really could have crafted a unique sound for Janet if he wasn’t so focused on trying to make her “hot”. The expectations were so high for Damita Jo’s followup and the label was pressuring JD to basically recreate TEOM 2.0 but for Janet. I really wish JD and Janet could have discovered a new, innovative sound for her. 

JD should never work with Janet. None of the songs he produced were fresh. He was not trying to recreate Mariah.. he can’t. Not with Janet. He was trying to recreate Janet like all the shit producers she’s worked with.

“Classic Janet with a modern twist” - every producer that wasn’t Terry/Jimmy.

JD wasn’t trying to evolve Janet... he was looking to recreate what she had before especially on 20. 

That was the problem with the mistake eras 2004-2008

Rodney was the same. Recreate Janet by pretending she was her brother so 2x worse but still

Unbreakable is the proof. The proof that Janet doesn’t need to recreate the past nostalgia. It NEVER works for anyone. 

• Upvote 1

I didn’t care much for JD’s productions (although I love the beat to SEx, not the vocals tho).. all his songs that he made with her don’t have that timelessness to them. They are all sadly products of their era. I remember JD said in an interview around the time that he wanted to bring Janet back to what made her successful in the first place, which, in his words were “hard drums.” 

Eh, don’t think he did that..

As for Rodney Jerkins, I mostly enjoyed the work he did for her... Feedback is my favorite dance track/single from DJ to now. It’s a perfect song in my opinion (just wish she would’ve found a way to ad-lib some). I also really enjoyed Luv and Make Me. Heartbeat Love was def interesting.. Rollercoaster wasn’t that great imo, but I think it’s most cuz her vocals don’t fit that type of song very well.

but truth be told once Unbreakable came out it was more than obvious that Janet’s sweet spot is with JJ/TL and really that should never change. And if for some reason she does feel the need to work with outside producers, it should be at the behest of JJ/TL and under their direction, unlike how 20YO went. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Dal said:

I didn’t care much for JD’s productions (although I love the beat to SEx, not the vocals tho).. all his songs that he made with her don’t have that timelessness to them. They are all sadly products of their era. I remember JD said in an interview around the time that he wanted to bring Janet back to what made her successful in the first place, which, in his words were “hard drums.” 

Eh, don’t think he did that..

As for Rodney Jerkins, I mostly enjoyed the work he did for her... Feedback is my favorite dance track/single from DJ to now. It’s a perfect song in my opinion (just wish she would’ve found a way to ad-lib some). I also really enjoyed Luv and Make Me. Heartbeat Love was def interesting.. Rollercoaster wasn’t that great imo, but I think it’s most cuz her vocals don’t fit that type of song very well.

but truth be told once Unbreakable came out it was more than obvious that Janet’s sweet spot is with JJ/TL and really that should never change. And if for some reason she does feel the need to work with outside producers, it should be at the behest of JJ/TL and under their direction, unlike how 20YO went. 

While FB is cute it was not written by Janet which puts it in the same category as SAY YOU DO & Young Love 

Edited by State of the Game

1 hour ago, State of the Game said:

While FB is cute it was written by Janet which puts it in the same category as SAY YOU DO & Young Love 

I think you meant it “wasn’t” written by Janet.. and while that’s true, I’d bet she could’ve easily turned down whatever tracks she didn’t like for Discipline, unlike her first two shitty albums which she was undoubtedly forced to do regardless of her own personal feelings.

and also, the fact that she’s included FB in literally every full concert show she’s done since 2008 leads me to believe she REALLY likes that song... for me, that’s one of the very few handful of tracks from 20YO/Discipline/#1’s eras that is legitimately “classic Janet with a modern twist.” Darkchild and Tasleema (the writer) knocked that shit out the park... and it could’ve/should’ve been a Top 10/#1 single had she performed and promoted it long before Discipline’s drop date..imo

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Dal said:

I think you meant it “wasn’t” written by Janet.. and while that’s true, I’d bet she could’ve easily turned down whatever tracks she didn’t like for Discipline, unlike her first two shitty albums which she was undoubtedly forced to do regardless of her own personal feelings.

and also, the fact that she’s included FB in literally every full concert show she’s done since 2008 leads me to believe she REALLY likes that song... for me, that’s one of the very few handful of tracks from 20YO/Discipline/#1’s eras that is legitimately “classic Janet with a modern twist.” Darkchild and Tasleema (the writer) knocked that shit out the park... and it could’ve/should’ve been a Top 10/#1 single had she performed and promoted it long before Discipline’s drop date..imo

Hmmm she may like the song but she also liked Weekend and you see how that turned out.

its not #1 hot 100 quality. 

4 hours ago, State of the Game said:

Hmmm she may like the song but she also liked Weekend and you see how that turned out.

its not #1 hot 100 quality. 

Eh I guess .. in all truth we really don’t know how much she liked Weekend.. we don’t have any actual tangible evidence that suggests it was indeed going to be an actual sent-to-radio single or actually included on any album.. she clearly didn’t like it enough to perform live ever so there’s that

34 minutes ago, Dal said:

Eh I guess .. in all truth we really don’t know how much she liked Weekend.. we don’t have any actual tangible evidence that suggests it was indeed going to be an actual sent-to-radio single or actually included on any album.. she clearly didn’t like it enough to perform live ever so there’s that

Any shit.. JD did a terrible job. Rodney didn’t do much better but Janet seemed to like him. 

On 4/4/2018 at 1:07 AM, Kaleidoscope Eyes said:

Look, I get many Janet fans weren’t too thrilled with JD’s misdirection of Janet’s sound from 20Yo to discipline...I don’t think JD was necessarily the problem but more so he was trying to replicate Mariah’s success (TEOM) with Janet. JD is a creative super producer and I feel like he really could have crafted a unique sound for Janet if he wasn’t so focused on trying to make her “hot”. The expectations were so high for Damita Jo’s followup and the label was pressuring JD to basically recreate TEOM 2.0 but for Janet. I really wish JD and Janet could have discovered a new, innovative sound for her. 

there is nothing innovative about jd, he basically makes beats, thats not janet's lane she experiments with different sounds and genres. 20 yo was all about his ego, janet was totally detached from that project. when i saw jd say in a interview he had to encourage her to make the album i knew it was a wrap. discipline was a huge stepup from 20yo, there are some clear 'janet' jams on that album. i liked her with darkchild and neyo, of course nothing is better than her with jimmy/terry.

6 hours ago, JJATL said:

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess, and looking back back on those eras, it’s seems like they were major hiccups.  Maybe they were just knee jerk reactions to the Super Bowl aftermath.  Everyone just panicked.  

Maybe in 2004 but two & four years after the Super Bowl? Nah 

9 hours ago, JJATL said:

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess, and looking back back on those eras, it’s seems like they were major hiccups.  Maybe they were just knee jerk reactions to the Super Bowl aftermath.  Everyone just panicked.  

20 YO was a reaction to the underperformance of Damita Jo. Discipline was a reaction to Janet wanting to escape Virgin after 20 YO and start fresh with a new label. These were reactionary albums, not albums she made because she wanted to make them. That’s why they failed. Virgin wanted JD because of the success he was having with Usher and Mariah. But JD did not fit Janet’s style at all. If Damita Jo would’ve been more successful, I guarantee neither 20 YO or Discipline would’ve happened.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, Illi said:

Eh, the fact that she was recording more frequently after that legitimizes JJATL's point.

Not really. JJATL called that mess of 3 eras a “knee jerk reaction” and “everyone just panicked” when in reality, 20 & Discipline both weren’t knee jerks or panicking... they were just terrible albums 

7 hours ago, State of the Game said:

Not really. JJATL called that mess of 3 eras a “knee jerk reaction” and “everyone just panicked” when in reality, 20 & Discipline both weren’t knee jerks or panicking... they were just terrible albums 

I was trying to make the point Black Eagle made. Those two albums were clearly produced to be quick fixes, hence the lack of heart and direction then the failure.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, State of the Game said:

20 maybe considered a “quick fix” But Discipline wasn’t imo but I see your point

Her moving to Island Def Jam and ultimately recording Discipline soon after the ink dried was a bad attempt at a quick rebound from Virgin. It's not directly due to SB, but that was a part of the domino effect.

• Upvote 1

JD doesn't know how to work around Janet's voice/Harmonies. Janet needs freedom on her work and JD's sound for the most part "asphyxiates" her input.  

That's my main complain about his work with Her. You can barely get that Janet input, you often get a generic track that could be sang by any random artist. 

17 minutes ago, Utopia said:

JD doesn't know how to work around Janet's voice/Harmonies. Janet needs freedom on her work and JD's sound for the most part "asphyxiates" her input.  

That's my main complain about his work with Her. You can barely get that Janet input, you often get a generic track that could be sang by any random artist. 

I do believe 20YO was Janet just fulfilling her contract obligations.....Now Discipline was another story they tried that but she fell out with LA Reid

On 09/04/2018 at 12:33 AM, Bailey. said:

I do believe 20YO was Janet just fulfilling her contract obligations.....Now Discipline was another story they tried that but she fell out with LA Reid

I still believe that 20 yo had a whole lot different sound then what we ended up with.

Still feel like that album sonically was going to be a more urban-leaning Confessions on a nursing home by Marthritis. 

• 1 month later...