How big was janet in the 80s and 90s in the USA and globally

Khalil

Hi i am new to this forum can yall me how major was janet in the 80s and 90s i was not able to live through the eras sadly only the all for you era  so if yall fans who lived through it tell how big she was worldwide and the usa that will be helpful and how innovative and impactful she was

In the 80's she wasn't that big at all until the latter part of the decade with only one successful album under her belt going into her sophomore Jam and Lewis project 1989's Rhythm Nation, I would say Janet's biggest impact and best body of work came from late 1986 through 2001, which makes Janet a mostly 90's artist, she is second only to Mariah Carey I believe for the 90s

It's also interesting ,to me at least ,to note that Janet signed the largest recording contract in artist history, follow the money not so much stats and that, because basically the recording world saw Janet as a huge valuable asset. Janet got something like 24 points off each album sold which was unheard of, for example, I was watching an interview with the 90's group En Vogue, and they had a bad record deal at 2 points off each album split 4 ways

• Like 1

Janet's touring history was massive she did arena tours with very elaborate staging for most of her touring history, and she accomplished this in markets outside the US from Europe to Asia, and Australia. They love Janet in Japan I believe it was the RN tour she played back to back sold out nights in the Tokyo Dome which is a stadium.....people have to give credit and not forget Janet was a black female artist that crossed racial boundaries and toured the planet successfully. That was not the rule for black female acts, but rather the exception, only a handful of Black females can claim as much as Janet, all names would be familiar. The only market I can think of Janet never has hit is Latin America

• Like 2

I mean this thread topic is such a loaded question because there is so much to answer that, like Austin said check that thread out. I mean there are so many stories of artists that love Janet and were inspired by her and they just wanted to meet her and when they did they end up crying and slobbing ...think about that being a living legend people just want to meet so bad

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bailey. said:

i would also recommend watching Janet interviews on YT and some of her specials there is a lot there

Ok so i got done watching her specials like mtv icon and lifetime achievement awards this is why im such a stan for her because she achieved so much at a young age by the early 90s mtv gave her a video vanguard award and i watched a video of janet sweeping the billboard awards im like OMG i never seen a artist other than Michael Jackson and whitney  sweep a awards like that people were giving standing ovation when she walked across that stage than i think it was 1997 they gave her tribute and she was still in her peak thank you so much and to see people like britney and beyonce and countless others give a other tribute to her

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bailey. said:

i'll give you 1986 thus changing my time frame but not until 2004 that year and many after became the dark years

She was doing the fkn Super Bowl Halftime show that year...

as the main headliner..

and the year was 2004...

..hence she was huge from 1986-2004

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

On 17/04/2018 at 9:27 AM, Khalil said:

She was huge worldwide with control or rhythm nation 

I wouldn’t say ‘huge’ 

Yes,  while WHYDFL, and to a lesser extent Nasty and WITOY were hits WW, she basically flopped single wise outside the states during the RN era. Her promotion outside the states got much better by 1993.

2 hours ago, T.C said:

I wouldn’t say ‘huge’ 

Yes,  while WHYDFL, and to a lesser extent Nasty and WITOY were hits WW, she basically flopped single wise outside the states during the RN era. Her promotion outside the states got much better by 1993.

Nah. Janet got into UK Vogue with RN1814, which was unprecedented for Black women at that time, performed for the Queen and sold out a few shows across western Europe. There's a French magazine from the RN1814 era calling her the Queen of Pop. The album performed well in Oceania. MYM peaked at #2 in NZ if I'm not mistaken; album went #1 in NZ or Aussie, I forget which one. There's also a known date missing from the tour because the RN1814T went to Singapore. Album is certified in Hong Kong as well. Only places that's not really known regarding performance are SA and Africa. 

It's a stretch to imply she wasn't popular outside the states with RN1814. She definitely was.

• Upvote 2