Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Game For Now

Bigger Era & Why: TVR v. AFY

Recommended Posts

As a lasting impact to her relevancy, AFY is the bigger era imo. While TVR may arguably have the better music, AFY was Janet’s proof that she can hang with the 21st Century. 

AFY came strong with a new movie, three hit tracks, outselling all of her siblings for the first time, and a messy divorce.. Janet’s AFY era was the end all

While TVR had its successes, AFY imo stands taller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, State of the Game said:

As a lasting impact to her relevancy, AFY is the bigger era imo. While TVR may arguably have the better music, AFY was Janet’s proof that she can hang with the 21st Century. 

AFY came strong with a new movie, three hit tracks, outselling all of her siblings for the first time, and a messy divorce.. Janet’s AFY era was the end all

While TVR had its successes, AFY imo stands taller. 

In my opinion  i think all for you not because its the only era i lived through but like you said it showed that janet can still hang but i do think TVR is more timeless

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFY sold over 600k it's first week making it the fastest selling Janet album ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AFY felt bigger. But statically, TVR is the bigger era. 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Wonder said:

AFY felt bigger. But statically, TVR is the bigger era. 

No one is arguing numbers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

AFY felt bigger. But statically, TVR is the bigger era. 

I feel it’s only bigger Bc she didn’t tour like she did for TVR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, janet.1814 said:

I feel it’s only bigger Bc she didn’t tour like she did for TVR

:huh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since control she was getting bigger and bigger each era.  AFY was the peak 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2018 at 10:54 AM, State of the Game said:

No one is arguing numbers 

Well then why are we here? :lol:

From what I remember, TVR was more trying in terms of Janet's ability to be as commercially successful as her previous three projects, four if you count DOAD. And people didn't understand the album, and that created a dichotomy between interest and ignoring. And ppl were more interested in understanding the album, rather than just waiting for Janet too finish whatever she was going thru. So that created a lot of attention for her. Whereas AFY was more of a solidification of Janet's legendary status. She was everywhere promo wise. But it was just like a calm after the storm (TVR). Like TVR, it only had one major hit, but it was more of a return to form with Janet. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Well then why are we here? :lol:

From what I remember, TVR was more trying in terms of Janet's ability to be as commercially successful as her previous three projects, four if you count DOAD. And people didn't understand the album, and that created a dichotomy between interest and ignoring. And ppl were more interested in understanding the album, rather than just waiting for Janet too finish whatever she was going thru. So that created a lot of attention for her. Whereas AFY was more of a solidification of Janet's legendary status. She was everywhere promo wise. But it was just like a calm after the storm (TVR). Like TVR, it only had one major hit, but it was more of a return to form with Janet. 

If we argue numbers, TVR would win (album sales; world wide).. TVR also wins most impactful of the two. But overall, AFY was a more successful era

I disagree. 3 of the four singles were hits... including DRM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TVR

 

Produced her biggest hit and her tour was massive.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know how we can call AFY a more “successful” era if it didn’t have the success of TVR. Honestly TVR set the tone and expectation of AFY. And it was still at Janet’s major peak - I feel AFY was still Janet heightened but it still wasn’t Janet era or TVR. It was Janet showing - age isn’t anything but a number & she’s still killing it. 

You can refer back to the questions and statements of some of those interviews. Diane Sawyer, who I don’t fuck with, asked - do you ever feel like take that Britney & Christina at 35 and the killer body still going...

That’s a question alluding to longevity & being in the game so long. Which really is stupid to ask but it happens. TVR was still in the expected & unquestioned height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, State of the Game said:

If we argue numbers, TVR would win (album sales; world wide).. TVR also wins most impactful of the two. But overall, AFY was a more successful era

I disagree. 3 of the four singles were hits... including DRM

Must be a different album cuz AFY was the only major hit from the album. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Must be a different album cuz AFY was the only major hit from the album. 

STCML was a top 3 hit and DRM, despite being made for a movie and released a year prior, was a #1 hit and placed on the album

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, State of the Game said:

STCML was a top 3 hit and DRM, despite being made for a movie and released a year prior, was a #1 hit and placed on the album

You can't count DRM, for obvious reasons. And STCML was stalling before they released the physical single. Plus, it wasn't much of a hit internationally.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

let's not do AFY like that album didn't have some gems on it, COGU was a straight up  hit song, and people were living for In God We Trust aTry :wub: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, State of the Game said:

STCML was a top 3 hit and DRM, despite being made for a movie and released a year prior, was a #1 hit and placed on the album

STCML was headed to #1 but JLo had a song out at the same time that held things up long enough to prevent that number 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me TVR was the bigger era, because it's when I first engaged with Janet's work personally.  And the album just resonated so deeply with my circumstance as a closeted teenager.  

All For You era started incredibly big, but it was short-circuited due to just the 3 (4) singles being released.  Had they continued even sending songs to radio, AFY could easily been the biggest and most memorable era of her career.             

IMO, I think among her albums, AFY stands out for having the most international appeal, and that would've been a good angle to have taken.  Keep putting out singles and see which countries responded the best, then plan the tour with them in mind.                                                                                          

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×