Serious topic

Aquaria

Sometimes I struggle with depression. I think most of us probably do. What helps you through it? 

I wanted to make this thread because I have a tendency to isolate myself when I’m feeling bad and that can be kind of suffocating. I think talking about things helps and I wanted to create a thread where we can check in on our mental health and provide support to each other.

I know we joke a lot on this board, but I hope everyone (if anyone does need help) is respectful. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

sigh.....I do suffer from depression, and Im medicated and shit -_-  I usually illustrate lessons through stories in my life. It does in fact help to talk to someone, I have a great co-worker named James, and I was talking with him just last week, and I told him all about what was going on with me and my ex, I didnt spare any details, so now I'm in such a better space because I really believe I needed to vent, its cathartic, and James just listens he does not interrupt, and finally at the end of it I'm like okay so what do think? Of course it helps trusting the person you talk to, in summary about my ex ......James said RUN!  ...That's not a joke I took his words seriously and what's so interesting is when you start to open up about something its funny what they pick up on and point out, like my ex whose broke as shit, bought a round trip ticket to the Dominican on his mom's credit card without permission, James is so family oriented that he said that action was so disrespectful to his family that it shows a lot about who he is

4 hours ago, Horny Braxton said:

Sometimes I struggle with depression. I think most of us probably do. What helps you through it? 

I wanted to make this thread because I have a tendency to isolate myself when I’m feeling bad and that can be kind of suffocating. I think talking about things helps and I wanted to create a thread where we can check in on our mental health and provide support to each other.

I know we joke a lot on this board, but I hope everyone (if anyone does need help) is respectful. 

so what helps me through it, therapy, someone I can talk to that hears me, and listens, sometimes I have stuff buried that I dont even realize, because in order to keep going I often just compartmentalize a lot, and its still there, and Ive had a few times in therapy somethings came to the surface and I didnt realize it was bothering me. It helps me to speak to trusted people, and Im talking about real down to Earth people that are mature and they are not about any bullshit, someone that cares for your well being and they will give you their ear and feedback ...its something Im grateful for because the advice I get is so on point

4 hours ago, Horny Braxton said:

the question is for you do you notice any patterns? I mean when you isolate did something set you off? Are you even aware that something might be bothering you more than you realize? It can, trust me ....I'm an open book I will tell you whatever is going on hell I was in the nut house this year for a week ....interesting shit :filenails:

its funny I wanted to make a post about this recently. I'm going through a low, challenging point at the moment...it feels like a  "depression" but I'm not sure I'm suffering it. I do tend to be very moody though in general (is it an Aries thing? lol)

I do struggle to talk about my issues openly and isolate myself...except for one friend who ive known 30 years...she definitely helps me. I tend to medicate with alcohol.

I know I'm not really answering but wanna be part of the conversation. Any faith followers - do you feel praying helps? (no need for Game to respond to that part :rolleyes:)

Id also like to add that this place helps sometimes...moreso when the site was poppin :lol:

18 hours ago, Bailey. said:

the question is for you do you notice any patterns? I mean when you isolate did something set you off? Are you even aware that something might be bothering you more than you realize? It can, trust me ....I'm an open book I will tell you whatever is going on hell I was in the nut house this year for a week ....interesting shit :filenails:

you kept that one quiet :( though understandable.

19 minutes ago, vibeology said:

you kept that one quiet :( though understandable.

well it's a long story, I was in a funk and called into work two days in a row, the third day you need a Doctor's note to return I had already been having thoughts but I wasn't acting on them I rushed to my doc and started talking he asked me if I would go to this facility and I said yes....then there I was with other people drinkers and suicide some old and many very young. I must say Im distressed by the number of young people with mental health issues ...I met some amazing people who all had suffered from issues. I met this kid named Matt he still calls and texts me to this day and I couldnt for the life of me see a thing wrong about him ...but he was there too

16 minutes ago, Bailey. said:

well it's a long story, I was in a funk and called into work two days in a row, the third day you need a Doctor's note to return I had already been having thoughts but I wasn't acting on them I rushed to my doc and started talking he asked me if I would go to this facility and I said yes....then there I was with other people drinkers and suicide some old and many very young. I must say Im distressed by the number of young people with mental health issues ...I met some amazing people who all had suffered from issues. I met this kid named Matt he still calls and texts me to this day and I couldnt for the life of me see a thing wrong about him ...but he was there too

I wonder if social media plays a part in the young people experiencing it moreso now

58 minutes ago, vibeology said:

its funny I wanted to make a post about this recently. I'm going through a low, challenging point at the moment...it feels like a  "depression" but I'm not sure I'm suffering it. I do tend to be very moody though in general (is it an Aries thing? lol)

I do struggle to talk about my issues openly and isolate myself...except for one friend who ive known 30 years...she definitely helps me. I tend to medicate with alcohol.

I know I'm not really answering but wanna be part of the conversation. Any faith followers - do you feel praying helps? (no need for Game to respond to that part :rolleyes:)

Id also like to add that this place helps sometimes...moreso when the site was poppin :lol:

Praying helps nothing. Ask gun control ??‍♂️

I struggle to talk about my issues too. Mostly bc I don’t trust that many people (two) and bc I dont like to expose myself. I rather talk to a complete stranger than _____ about my “issues”

13 minutes ago, State of the Game said:

I struggle to talk about my issues too. Mostly bc I don’t trust that many people (two) and bc I dont like to expose myself. I rather talk to a complete stranger than _____ about my “issues”

so power of positive words/thinking...you don't believe in it?

me too...I did some counselling two years back...that helped a bit

16 minutes ago, vibeology said:

so power of positive words/thinking...you don't believe in it?

me too...I did some counselling two years back...that helped a bit

im more logistical than gullible. If talking to some “higher power” helps you not go HAM than more power to you. But let’s not pretend God exists or “thoughts & prayers” work. It’s all in the head :wacko: 

I should look into it

20 hours ago, Bailey. said:

so what helps me through it, therapy, someone I can talk to that hears me, and listens, sometimes I have stuff buried that I dont even realize, because in order to keep going I often just compartmentalize a lot, and its still there, and Ive had a few times in therapy somethings came to the surface and I didnt realize it was bothering me. It helps me to speak to trusted people, and Im talking about real down to Earth people that are mature and they are not about any bullshit, someone that cares for your well being and they will give you their ear and feedback ...its something Im grateful for because the advice I get is so on point

I've done therapy once (it was mandatory due to an issue at school) and it did help, but in general I've always been able to work through things on my own. Sometimes I wonder if seeing someone would help me, and alleviate some of that burden I feel to hibernate and stay hidden and reclusive until I have made a breakthrough on my own. 

Something I've found time and time again to help me through depression is to list out things I am grateful for. And truly there is a LOT. It helps to shift my perspective and make me realize "this too shall pass."

Sometimes the best thing I can do is allow myself to feel the pain and not try to run from it or minimize it. I think the only way out is through. And often times if not all, things need to run their course. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bailey. said:

I'm happy to hear that you got the help you needed and I hope you are doing well. It's important to cut out toxic people from your life. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, State of the Game said:

You know what though... I'm not religious but I do believe in something bigger than all of us. Anyway. I remember one time "praying" to whoever or whatever was listening to "take my pain." I repeated that over and over again until I fell asleep and the next day I did feel better. Was it god? Who knows. Maybe it was the visualization of my pain being taken that helped to shift my mood. Regardless I do think "prayer" or some time of connection to an idea that is bigger than yourself does help at the very least put things into perspective. A lot of the times we can step back and say... nah, this is not worth my aggravation. I'm opting out of caring about this. That is major. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've been going through mine lately...it's like a twice a year minimum thing for me. I can relate to like what Game said I have mood swings that can all be triggered & when I'm dealing or feeling at a low point I limit my communication. BUT my depression is totally different, outter things don't trigger it, it's within and I can hide it better than a mood swing, I can show you to your face the smiley glass is half full guy that is the truth of me and that everyone who knows & loves me expect, but inside this head can be dark as fuck, or sad as fuck, it can just be how the wind goes, it can just be about unaddressed or unresolved or unchecked issues or guilt, (....it's weird cause I'm like just coming out of like a 2 month one) honestly, sounds batshit crazy maybe, but saying what I'm feeling and why I"m feeling (going down the rabbit hole of it all) outloud does something, hearing my voice speak it....it  REALLY does something. I meditate & I pray, and those are good for concentrated thought, slowing the voices down, but speaking what I'm feeling out loud TO NOONE, for no judgment or feedback REALLY  does something for me...even if it's gotta be a whisper cause it's so sad or dark, get it out, hear it, sit/stand in it and keep digging to the root.

And once I find that root, 1 thing I do, that's a progressive step forward when I feel this way, I force myself, WHATS 1 THING I CAN DO RIGHT THIS MINUTE TO HELP, not to fix, not to make it all better instantly, but to get something going on the right track. Sometimes its reaching out to someone, sometimes it's going out, sometimes it's going straight to sleep, sometimes it's watching something listening to something, eating something, moving something. And it helps me.

Prayer & meditation help with getting focused, but action with those things is what makes the current flow.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Horny Braxton said:

You know what though... I'm not religious but I do believe in something bigger than all of us. Anyway. I remember one time "praying" to whoever or whatever was listening to "take my pain." I repeated that over and over again until I fell asleep and the next day I did feel better. Was it god? Who knows. Maybe it was the visualization of my pain being taken that helped to shift my mood. Regardless I do think "prayer" or some time of connection to an idea that is bigger than yourself does help at the very least put things into perspective. A lot of the times we can step back and say... nah, this is not worth my aggravation. I'm opting out of caring about this. That is major. 

That’s an oxymoron imo. You’re not religious but you believe in a space monster(?)

Blaming some supernatural being on taking the “pain away” is silly. It’s internal not external 

10 minutes ago, jarrylf said:

I've been going through mine lately...it's like a twice a year minimum thing for me. I can relate to like what Game said I have mood swings that can all be triggered & when I'm dealing or feeling at a low point I limit my communication. BUT my depression is totally different, outter things don't trigger it, it's within and I can hide it better than a mood swing, I can show you to your face the smiley glass is half full guy that is the truth of me and that everyone who knows & loves me expect, but inside this head can be dark as fuck, or sad as fuck, it can just be how the wind goes, it can just be about unaddressed or unresolved or unchecked issues or guilt, (....it's weird cause I'm like just coming out of like a 2 month one) honestly, sounds batshit crazy maybe, but saying what I'm feeling and why I"m feeling (going down the rabbit hole of it all) outloud does something, hearing my voice speak it....it  REALLY does something. I meditate & I pray, and those are good for concentrated thought, slowing the voices down, but speaking what I'm feeling out loud TO NOONE, for no judgment or feedback REALLY  does something for me...even if it's gotta be a whisper cause it's so sad or dark, get it out, hear it, sit/stand in it and keep digging to the root.

And once I find that root, 1 thing I do, that's a progressive step forward when I feel this way, I force myself, WHATS 1 THING I CAN DO RIGHT THIS MINUTE TO HELP, not to fix, not to make it all better instantly, but to get something going on the right track. Sometimes its reaching out to someone, sometimes it's going out, sometimes it's going straight to sleep, sometimes it's watching something listening to something, eating something, moving something. And it helps me.

Prayer & meditation help with getting focused, but action with those things is what makes the current flow.

Yes that's true for me also. Starting seems to be the hardest part. For me today it was doing laundry, I'd been putting it off and for some reason it just seemed so daunting. I know it's a small thing but tonight I finally got up and did it and I feel so much better. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, State of the Game said:

That’s an oxymoron imo. You’re not religious but you believe in a space monster(?)

Blaming some supernatural being on taking the “pain away” is silly. It’s internal not external 

I didn't say any of that and don't care to correct you, think what you want.

Also, responding to anyone in this thread by calling them silly is really gross and won't be tolerated. I said this thread would be respectful and if you're going to act like "Game" in here I will report you.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Horny Braxton said:

I'm happy to hear that you got the help you needed and I hope you are doing well. It's important to cut out toxic people from your life. 

oh God my ex is never going to change and haven't seen him since Feb. I knew that was going to end. Now back to you...you have to find some healthy way of dealing with things that set you off

4 minutes ago, Horny Braxton said:

I didn't say any of that and don't care to correct you, think what you want.

Also, responding to anyone in this thread by calling them silly is really gross and won't be tolerated. I said this thread would be respectful and if you're going to act like "Game" in here I will report you.

Calm your tits boo. I didn’t say anything to attack you. 

Prayer is silly ??‍♂️ Praying to take the pain away is even sillier. Imma just “thoughts & prayers” this post :coffee: 

12 minutes ago, Horny Braxton said:

Yes that's true for me also. Starting seems to be the hardest part. For me today it was doing laundry, I'd been putting it off and for some reason it just seemed so daunting. I know it's a small thing but tonight I finally got up and did it and I feel so much better. 

oh you have inertia too ...yeah my spell back in Feb. I let this apartment go to shit, it's like wow its never been this messy, and Im actually a neat freak

49 minutes ago, Horny Braxton said:

I've done therapy once (it was mandatory due to an issue at school) and it did help, but in general I've always been able to work through things on my own. Sometimes I wonder if seeing someone would help me, and alleviate some of that burden I feel to hibernate and stay hidden and reclusive until I have made a breakthrough on my own. 

Something I've found time and time again to help me through depression is to list out things I am grateful for. And truly there is a LOT. It helps to shift my perspective and make me realize "this too shall pass."

Sometimes the best thing I can do is allow myself to feel the pain and not try to run from it or minimize it. I think the only way out is through. And often times if not all, things need to run their course. 

you're going the solitary route, I do it too, but you never know what different perspectives on things in your own life others can provide. My talk with James pretty much killed any thoughts about me toxic ex

2 hours ago, vibeology said:

I wonder if social media plays a part in the young people experiencing it moreso now

Im sure it does but I think kids today are prone to feeling isolated and misunderstood, especially if they grew up in houses where their needs were not met. I meet this guy Dylan, he's a graduate of engineering school, really bright guy, but he drinks himself into a dark place. Dylan wants to change once they released him he went to a day program same facility to continue seeking help, I just think sometimes the world becomes more than one person can handle alone

3 hours ago, vibeology said:

depression is more deep I think, for myself its not leaving the apartment, not engaging others drinking often ...depression is a dark place that to me it feels like crawling out of a hole when you can muster the energy to bother getting up and actually doing it