Official Thread: 2018 Billboard Music Awards (link to performance posted in initial post)

I really liked her performance.... didn’t looove it, but def liked it a lot..

I, too, loved the outfits and hair...

Loved that she had a ton of dancers with her, of all shapes and sizes, and the stage setup (small stage, main center, two main stages, stairs, platforms, diff levels, etc)..

Loved that she did the IF arm movements again (hopefully she stays doing that)..

Loved the WWO snippet mixed into Nasty, and felt that Nasty is very appropriate during the #MeToo movement, and especially because of her speech....

All that being said....

I didn’t like the last half of her speech.. I loved the message she was trying to/did convey, but as a non-religious person, I felt like I had opened my front door to some Jehovah Witness that I wanted to close the door on...loved the message of love in her speech overall though..

Also obviously the camera work was lame af, legit prolly the WORST shots since the 2004 BET Awards performance, maybe ever..

Throb was cool and honestly I think the only reason she performed that song is because of the amount of dancers she had on stage with her and that’s always been a song that she showcased her dancers in...AND IT WAS THE 25TH ANNIV OF janet. DUUUR!

Let’s see..anything else..?...hmmmmm........

Oh yea—Gil should be fired. ? 

Anyways can’t wait to see her this summer (hopefully)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I liked that she placed When We Ooo in Nasty for the fans at home. I'm angry that the camera moved away from Janet during the "If" breakdown, which was the most intense part of the performance's choreography. The "Throb" breakdown needed work as I didn't care for the air drumming.

I really wish she gave us a 10 minute performance. It all went by so fast. She got the biggest honour, but had one of the shortest performances. Why did Christina and Demi's performance feel longer? Billboard should have given her more time tbh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

It felt like a big party!!!! Like a celebration. I just wish it was longer.

Exactly Boo! People love feeling like they're at a huge party. I can't recall the last time an awards show crowd seemed so energized and in a party mood!

• Like 1

Loved everything about her speech. As a believer myself and working/knowing the industry they often try to make you compromise your beliefs. Everyone around the last 10 years started referring to the “Universe” - which is cool, but trust me it was a trend that the industry was collectively on. 

Janet took the deep breath before she mentioned her faith because it’s often silenced. In a space where we talk about collective acceptance of love & difference of opinion, having a faith based perspective has become taboo & scrutinized. Good for Janet. One day fans will learn, you support someone who will always support God. It’s best to anticipate it anytime she speaks. That’s where she is in her life & always has been but even more so. 

The performance was short & didn’t do her justice. The camera people were trash. The setlist was for fans & gives me hope that future set list will be diversified. Overall I thought it was GOOD but not amazing. I wish the dances that lead into throb - the slow parts were longer. In comparison to tour she kills it much more on tour. I felt there was more potential left on the stage. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

No one can please everyone all the time.....in light of that she did good, lots of dancers almost drowning her out ...I know she has a thing about her legs i just wish she would get out of thigh high boots for once and show off those thin legs I know shes short but so is Toni Braxton and she gives leg. I loved Throb good idea they kept the energy pounding

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bailey. said:

No one can please everyone all the time.....in light of that she did good, lots of dancers almost drowning her out ...I know she has a thing about her legs i just wish she would get out of thigh high boots for once and show off those thin legs I know shes short but so is Toni Braxton and she gives leg. I loved Throb good idea they kept the energy pounding

:lmao: did you just compare Janet Jackson to Toni Braxton as if she’s a performer or legend. As if Toni can sell tour tickets outside KFC or main stage an award show

Janet should never copy Debtoni Braxton. Please stop 

Edited by State of the Game

My initial feeling was it felt fresh and energized and was trying to appeal to the youth demographic. Physically she looks fabulous. The costume was dreadful, and I hate those shoes - are they Gucci? Though some of the dancers in their Vetements meets Haculla creations looked cool. The song choice was fine, and some of the intermixing choices were interesting - though the sound and camerawork both felt off.

All in all perfectly respectable. But also maybe a slightly wasted opportunity. I suppose they wanted to do something more 'relevant' than crank out obvious hits -  but this felt neither especially relevant nor a brilliant nostalgic reminder.

Some huge pluses were; the audience clearly adored her, the reception was strong, people are talking, Janet is clearly in a deeply empowered and creative zone and she is reconnecting with the mainstream. So by those standards it was a huge success.

That When We Ooo splice over NASTY almost took me out.  Then Throb TOOK ME OUT!!!  

Agreed I wish it had been longer, but at the same time we all know she also wants to get people out to the tour.  BUY A TICKET BISHES!!!!  

All in all, Janet absolutely killed.  The performance felt iconic and current.  Throb sounding like shit that way better than anything on the radio right now. 

• Like 2

Amazing performance! I loved the club vibe. Obviously any fan would have liked a longer performance but she killed it. My highlight however was her red carpet outfit, that skirt was everything! I want one! Also on a side note I liked how Prince showed his support for Janet by wearing the same T-shirt as her.

• Like 1