The Official #EssenceFest Thread

I love that she just completely took out most of the same ballads she’s always done (LWAW, Again, CBTM) and added a shit ton of lesser-known songs, especially the true fan favs..

but ill say it again and every chance I get:

having Skin Game as the opening song makes it the WORST. INTRO. EVER!

• Downvote 1

Yes you’ve said that already. We get it :sigh: 

Janet added it bc it’s the State of the World... and the Skin Game is STILL around

She didn’t add it bc it’s popular amongst  the stans... she was CLEARLY sending a message.

If you don’t get it then that’s fine and you don’t have to like it but most Americans don’t like truth.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, John.... said:

I was thinking today, and I realize if Janet aimed to make everyone happy she would get nothing done. BUT she did stick to fan favs and gave us songs we know and enjoy but seen live heard.

Haven’t watched live* and I agree. 

Tho I wish should would finish her iconic saying again “no my first name ain’t baby..... .... MS JACKSON IF YA NASTY

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Game For Now said:

Haven’t watched live* and I agree. 

Tho I wish should would finish her iconic saying again “no my first name ain’t baby..... .... MS JACKSON IF YA NASTY

Im always excited to hear what song she will mix in next with Nasty, still havent found out the song she did for Essence :unsure:

I wish she or Jam&Lewis would do a new remix of Skin Game, her vocals are everything if you heard the acapella version (I have it but cant find it and its not on youtube anymore) , but the only problem I have ever had with the song is its production is WAY too heavy & too much period, its obvious Jam & Lewis were deep in their zone, but they drown out some really great vocals & lyrics Janet gives with having SUCH a loud, heavy & busy beat.

I think it would actually make a amazing breakdown in like one of the socially conscious songs

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Game For Now said:

Yes you’ve said that already. We get it :sigh: 

Janet added it bc it’s the State of the World... and the Skin Game is STILL around

She didn’t add it bc it’s popular amongst  the stans... she was CLEARLY sending a message.

If you don’t get it then that’s fine and you don’t have to like it but most Americans don’t like truth.

Me liking it or not liking doesn’t change the fact that this is the weakest opening for any concert tour she’s ever done.....period. Name a lamer intro that she’s had....ya can’t 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dal said:

Me liking it or not liking doesn’t change the fact that this is the weakest opening for any concert tour she’s ever done.....period. Name a lamer intro that she’s had....ya can’t 

Okay... it’s not that serious :yawn:

Does she slay: YES

Does she dance her ass off: YES

Is she worth the price of admission: YES 

Will you buy a ticket regardless of her intro: Yes*

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dal said:

So glad she’s doing FSR now but I think if she’s ever on stage alone for an entire song with no specific choreography she should have a handheld mic instead 

I agree even tho her mic was on. I love her crisp vocals. So clear and clean. I always knew she loved that song especially when I found out it was originally supposed to be the song for the nutty professor movie instead of doesn't really matter. That's probably went she went right into DRM after feels so right.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Game For Now said:

Not going to this tour

.......but not cuz of the weak beginning lol..imma be in Vegas the weekend she’s in the Bay Area so that sucks but it’s whatever

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Game For Now said:

And yes all valid points good job normani

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Skin Game is an ok opener it’s just not a fan favorite song, although I love it for many reasons, Skin Game is a good opener because it does multiple things:

shows how long she’s been making conscious music

reminds of conscious music beyond RN

Speaks to very real circumstances happening right now 

speaks for & to a community often ignored

Maybe she could have kept The Knowledge & then put Skin Game in after but I LOVE she’s changing the whole scope. 

• Upvote 2