20 Y.O. > DJ + Discipline!!!

Lenzo88

Well Court is now in session your honor!!! ?

and

Ha!!! The only thing to look forward to Damita No is All Nite, R&B Junkie and the end of the album! Big old uninspired mess!!! 

Discipline starts off strong: “Feedback”, “LUV”, “Rollercoaster”, “Rock Wit U”, “2Nite” n “Can’t B Good”, etc. Then the album falls apart!!! ? Ur honor, “Never Letchu Go” attacked my hears, followed by “Greatest X”, “So Much Betta”??? LIES!!! ?

20 Y.O. maybe average at best but it’s never boring *cough* Damita Jo or disappointing *cough* Discipline!!! ?

”Enjoy” and “Daybreak” feel like Janet to me!!! “Call On Me” is Janet on auto pilot but I’d gladly take it over the album’s where Kanye is Janet’s baby n She needs discipline from her father tonight! ☺️

Your witness!!! ?

I hate the idea of pitting Janet's songs and or albums against each other, because if you think about it, each represents, as they always did, what was going on in her life at the time. I think DJ was chopped and pasted due to record label control in order to respond to the SB. 20YO was uninspired she didnt have anything to say and I truly believe it was about fulfilling contract obligations. "Discipline" was an attempt at a different group of producers and a change in management I believe at the time it demonstrates how lost Janet may have been in the business.

Now having said that, every last single one of those albums has something on them that is classic Janet that as a diehard fan I am glad those songs exist and wouldnt have it any other way. Without struggle there can be no triumph, no growth, no learning from mistakes of the past.

Enjoy, Take Care, Feedback, All Nite (Don't Stop), Spending Time With You, Island Life, SloLove, What's Your Name, With You  .....none of these would exist and I love them

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

Does Janet even acknowledge 20YO....

The gag is that album did more damage to her career than the Superbowl. 

I went there!her

its possible, and this is just a theory of mine, that album is closely tied to JD and giving Virgin another album, she may not reflect on that time in favor ...I cannot say for certain Im not Janet. And no the SB was the bigger fuck than 20YO, the problem there is on top of the SB the music didnt deliver overall on the albums as cohesive albums. Not to say radio would have played her songs having better albums would have helped

14 minutes ago, John.... said:

its possible, and this is just a theory of mine, that album is closely tied to JD and giving Virgin and album, she may not reflect on that time in favor ...I cannot say for certain Im not Janet. And no the SB was the bigger fuck than 20YO, the problem there is on top of the SB the music didnt deliver overall on the albums as cohesive albums. Not to say radio would have played her songs having better albums would have helped

Nah.. none of the songs are solid enough to perform on this tour 

3 minutes ago, Game For Now said:

Nah.. none of the songs are solid enough to perform on this tour 

on 20YO I will concede that is the least used of any of her albums, it feels subpar it doesn't sound like a "Janet" album in the sense back in the day Janet only released an album every so often so when she did one thing she had done consistently was make it worth the wait. 20YO, as an album, I would ignore too, I use it about as much as "Discipline" which is to say not very much at all, but again there are some tracks I do fuck with Do It 2Me is another one I love

Damita Jo should’ve been a much better album than it ended up being... she had 3 months to get her side of the SB story out in her music and everyone would’ve been interested af to hear it.. would’ve driven sales even higher most likely.. the critics would’ve been more invested in the substance but instead got an album about sex and more sex

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, John.... said:

on 20YO I will concede that is the least used of any of her albums, it feels subpar it doesn't sound like a "Janet" album in the sense back in the day Janet only released an album every so often so when she did one thing she had done consistently was make it worth the wait. 20YO, as an album, I would ignore too, I use it about as much as "Discipline" which is to say not very much at all, but again there are some tracks I do fuck with Do It 2Me is another one I love

20 sounds like a Janet album. Discipline doesn’t 

7 hours ago, Dal said:

Damita Jo should’ve been a much better album than it ended up being... she had 3 months to get her side of the SB story out in her music and everyone would’ve been interested af to hear it.. would’ve driven sales even higher most likely.. the critics would’ve been more invested in the substance but instead got an album about sex and more sex

It was only a month. Early February to Late March 

28 minutes ago, Game For Now said:

It was only a month. Early February to Late March 

Cool she coulda taken more advantage of the fact that the world wanted to hear what she had to say for herself... instead she decided to talk about sucking Jermaine Dupri’s dick... it was a miscalculation that helped dig her hole deeper

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dal said:

Cool she coulda taken more advantage of the fact that the world wanted to hear what she had to say for herself... instead she decided to talk about sucking Jermaine Dupri’s dick... it was a miscalculation that helped dig her hole deeper

I 100% agree with you. Damita Jo was such a wash. Wasted opportunity to not only jump on the SB hype but actually talk about what’s bugging her. At LEAST one song but we got “fun & light” instead with a whole lot of sex... like too much. 

• Upvote 1

Does Janet even know that she has an album named 20 yo? It's still better than Disappointment though. 

DJ is actually a good album. Moist and Warmth drag it down but it's cohesive . The prob with it is that Janet literally had nothing to say, She just felt like releasing an album and that's it.

Releasing an album like DJ after 4 heavy themed ones was always going to be a problem. It was going to sell (if not for SB) but people would eventually see thru it :lol: 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Utopia said:

Does Janet even know that she has an album named 20 yo? It's still better than Disappointment though. 

DJ is actually a good album. Moist and Warmth drag it down but it's cohesive . The prob with it is that Janet literally had nothing to say, She just felt like releasing an album and that's it.

Releasing an album like DJ after 4 heavy themed ones was always going to be a problem. It was going to sell (if not for SB) but people would eventually see thru it :lol: 

Janet did have something to say.. she wrote on the album .. I love DJ to death

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GTIG said:

Janet did have something to say.. she wrote on the album .. I love DJ to death

3 hours ago, Game For Now said:

Not really :umm:  Not between 2004-2010

Tbh she did write on it but I’m sure there’s a video where Jimmy Jam said she wasn’t inspired at all and he asked her “what’s the point then?”. But the album slays me. 

30 minutes ago, Dal said:

I think you could take a few tracks from each of those albums, put them together in a specific order, give it a new cohesive title, then BAM you have a homerun album! ???

True