20 Y.O. > DJ + Discipline!!!

Lenzo88

I will never understand the colossal love for Damita Jo!!! ? Don’t get me wrong! Back in ‘04, I played out that album after getting use to it after a couple of listens. But the album is Janet at her blandest!!! DJ feels like “All For You” but less pop and more sex....TOO much!!! ?

Warmth AND Moist....I’m sorry, I can’t listen to those back to back without praying first!!! ? Janet TRIED it, tried it so hard!!! ?

At least the 5 albums before it had diversity, themes, concepts, iconic imagery, more than just pop n R&B. I’m sorry but if someone other than Janet produced an album like that, I’d be like “That was cute!” At best!! But Ms. Jackson?! The one who gave us “”Rhythm Nation” and “The Velvet Rope” (two of the best pop albums of all time) and then releases...THAT....I’m sorry! Nope! ?

Thank god for the 2010s because Janet seems back on track with “Unbreakable” and this new album coming up!!! ???

21 hours ago, GTIG said:

Janet did have something to say.. she wrote on the album .. I love DJ to death

She didn't :lol:  Jimmy said in an interview that She wanted jj and terry to write the album and they were the ones who said no. Terry said something like if your not inspired than why make an album?! I love DJ but you can clearly see that She was not inspired. 

20 was JD caping to save her career and the only good thing to come out of DC was LA repairing relationships with MTV and radio stations but Her fighting with LA and the album being bad reuined everything.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 11:25 PM, John.... said:

I hate the idea of pitting Janet's songs and or albums against each other, because if you think about it, each represents, as they always did, what was going on in her life at the time. I think DJ was chopped and pasted due to record label control in order to respond to the SB. 20YO was uninspired she didnt have anything to say and I truly believe it was about fulfilling contract obligations. "Discipline" was an attempt at a different group of producers and a change in management I believe at the time it demonstrates how lost Janet may have been in the business.

Now having said that, every last single one of those albums has something on them that is classic Janet that as a diehard fan I am glad those songs exist and wouldnt have it any other way. Without struggle there can be no triumph, no growth, no learning from mistakes of the past.

Enjoy, Take Care, Feedback, All Nite (Don't Stop), Spending Time With You, Island Life, SloLove, What's Your Name, With You  .....none of these would exist and I love them

Gwarl DJ was done and dusted before the SB ever happened, bank on it. I remember Janet saying it took the longest of any other album to record at the time, correct me if I'm wrong.

Those songs you listed would've made an amazing comeback album ? Too bad we got all the filler with them!

DJ >>>>> 20 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Discipline btw

tumblr_lx701msudh1r2dxbpo4_250.gif

15 hours ago, Lenzo88 said:

I will never understand the colossal love for Damita Jo!!! ? Don’t get me wrong! Back in ‘04, I played out that album after getting use to it after a couple of listens. But the album is Janet at her blandest!!! DJ feels like “All For You” but less pop and more sex....TOO much!!! ?

Warmth AND Moist....I’m sorry, I can’t listen to those back to back without praying first!!! ? Janet TRIED it, tried it so hard!!! ?

At least the 5 albums before it had diversity, themes, concepts, iconic imagery, more than just pop n R&B. I’m sorry but if someone other than Janet produced an album like that, I’d be like “That was cute!” At best!! But Ms. Jackson?! The one who gave us “”Rhythm Nation” and “The Velvet Rope” (two of the best pop albums of all time) and then releases...THAT....I’m sorry! Nope! ?

Thank god for the 2010s because Janet seems back on track with “Unbreakable” and this new album coming up!!! ???

I don't listen to either of those tracks from the DJ album. They're too nasty for me just like I never listen to "Would You Mind" from the AFY album. DJ was very creative and Janet explored new sounds and that's part of why a lot of you don't like the album even though y'all aren't saying it. Y'all weren't used to Janet doing different music. I found myself thinking the same thing when I heard "SloLove" for the 1st time. I was like "Um Janet what is this?" but I said to myself "Ok let me try and open my mind because maybe this is the kind of sounds they have in other parts of the world." 2nd listen I liked it more. The more I kept listening to it the more I would find things about the song that I loved especially that french horn. Baby don'tcha realize that this is out time, that i'm yours and you will be all miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine :wub:  I also love Truly. I can just lay back and relax to that melody all day "All the quality (quality tiiime) makes me feel you're all mine". I could go on. That album opened me up to explore and accept new sounds.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JoeJoe said:

I don't listen to either of those tracks from the DJ album. They're too nasty for me just like I never listen to "Would You Mind" from the AFY album. DJ was very creative and Janet explored new sounds and that's part of why a lot of you don't like the album even though y'all aren't saying it. Y'all weren't used to Janet doing different music. I found myself thinking the same thing when I heard "SloLove" for the 1st time. I was like "Um Janet what is this?" but I said to myself "Ok let me try and open my mind because maybe this is the kind of sounds they have in other parts of the world." 2nd listen I liked it more. The more I kept listening to it the more I would find things about the song that I loved especially that french horn. Baby don'tcha realize that this is out time, that i'm yours and you will be all miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine :wub:  I also love Truly. I can just lay back and relax to that melody all day "All the quality (quality tiiime) makes me feel you're all mine". I could go on. That album opened me up to explore and accept new sounds.

Awwwww I forgot about “Slolove”! ? 

But....still that album’s too stale for me!!! It’s Janet on autopilot the whole way through. “Truly” is weak to me, like something J. Lo would sing on her early albums. I know my opinion is in a rare catergory. I absolutely HATE “Truth” from All For You but most of her fandom love it! The only reason I like 20 YO more than her other albums during that period (‘04-‘08)  is because at least it has A LOT more energy to it than the other two, especially DJ. Maybe I’m biased cause 20 YO was my soundtrack during my freshman year of college but I’ll take Jermaine’s over saturated production than DJ’s weak delivery. Yeah, there are a few gems on the album but I’d take “Show Me”-“Do It To Me” over “DJ”-“Strawberry Bounce” any day!!! ☺️❤️

I have an undying love for Damita Jo and forever will! Island Life, Spending Time With You, Sexhibition: Musically and Vocally the album is a GEM. She gave you a lot of R & B , Dance Music, Rock, Hip Hop and Vocals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

I thought it was just that hated WYM...and Warmth. Moist gets a pass.

I don't think the sounds on DJ are that drastic from what she had done...except Slolove

4 hours ago, GTIG said:

I have an undying love for Damita Jo and forever will! Island Life, Spending Time With You, Sexhibition: Musically and Vocally the album is a GEM. She gave you a lot of R & B , Dance Music, Rock, Hip Hop and Vocals.

Rock? remind me?

I’ve just created what I believe to be her best album of the 2000’s and it’s called ENJOY and it’s all about her enjoying her life!

1–Looking For Love (interlude)

2–Damita Jo

3–Exhibition (or Sexhibition)

4–All Nite Don’t Stop

5–R&B Junkie

6–My Baby

7–Spending Time With You

8–Island Life

9–Daybreak

10–Call On Me

11–Roll Witchu

12–I Want You

13–Show Me

14–Do It 2 Me

15–Feedback

16–Rock With U

17–Let Me Know

18–Can’t Be Good

19–Take Care

20–Love 2 Love

21–Enjoy

22–Days Go By

23–Curtains

Seriously though I think this is killer tracklist, especially because of the order! If you arrange them this way, it flows really well! Literally her spoken word interludes almost always flow right into the following track seamlessly (i.e. “...I just wanna dance with my baby” flows right into the song My Baby, etc)...

no joke, take the 3 mins to make this playlist and play it thru one time and thank me later

1 hour ago, Dal said:

I’ve just created what I believe to be her best album of the 2000’s and it’s called ENJOY and it’s all about her enjoying her life!

1–Looking For Love (interlude)

2–Damita Jo

3–Exhibition (or Sexhibition)

4–All Nite Don’t Stop

5–R&B Junkie

6–My Baby

7–Spending Time With You

8–Island Life

9–Daybreak

10–Call On Me

11–Roll Witchu

12–I Want You

13–Show Me

14–Do It 2 Me

15–Feedback

16–Rock With U

17–Let Me Know

18–Can’t Be Good

19–Take Care

20–Love 2 Love

21–Enjoy

22–Days Go By

23–Curtains

Seriously though I think this is killer tracklist, especially because of the order! If you arrange them this way, it flows really well! Literally her spoken word interludes almost always flow right into the following track seamlessly (i.e. “...I just wanna dance with my baby” flows right into the song My Baby, etc)...

no joke, take the 3 mins to make this playlist and play it thru one time and thank me later

I actually love that list even though you left off SLOLOVE. By the way y'all Roll Witchu is now on spotify and apple music :wub: 

7 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

I actually love that list even though you left off SLOLOVE. By the way y'all Roll Witchu is now on spotify and apple music :wub: 

Ah yes how could I forget SloLove... I think it’s because it’s not really one of my favorites.. but please feel free to enjoooy it (see what I did there?) wherever you think it’d fit best ?? 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Lenzo88 said:

What about “Days Go By”??? ?☹️

I actually love that song. I love everything about the melody and music in that song. It's so calming 

4 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

That is the most OVERRATED song on this board. I swear y'all give it wayyyy too much. 

Let's not Dayz!<_<

• Upvote 1