Billboard's 2018 Highest Paid Musicians

it's good to see her on that list, to know there's impact. The article also spoke on streaming, I guess that's important, I just think with acts that have music that was released so long ago streaming isn't really going to give you an accurate idea about them. I think streaming is mainly for acts that are "popular" within the younger segment of music listeners, doesn't mean folks aint still playing Janet

17 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

For Janet to have over 150 million streams for the year is really good.

Her best year so far in the streaming era. . 

The thing with Janet’s music is that unlike some of her contemporaries, her streaming numbers are way down in part because a lot of kids didn’t grow up hearing her songs the same way they did Mariah’s or Whitney’s. That’s because of the industry blackout from 2004. Radio stations basically took her out of the mix of older hits they play. So lots of young folks really don’t know ANY of her catalog. 

But what’s been kinda great to see is their reactions as they discover Janet. People really flip out when they start to realize how good she is (as many of us saw during #JanetJacksonAppreciationDay or the nearly viral spread of her ‘Would You Mind’ tour videos). Her streaming number continue to climb up now and I think that will bode well for her new music. 

But whether she’s a streaming giant or not Janet and her team have been KILLING it on the publishing side for 2018. I’ve heard her music everywhere this year, from shopping in CVS, to RuPaul’s Drag Race to the all-Janet episode of Scandal. They came right in and secured those publishing bags for real. And while this 20 city short tour won’t make nearly as much as the first SOTW leg (due to mostly smaller venues), she’s still securing some hefty bags as the Essence, Panorama and Outside Lands headliner. Probably enough to offset any possible loss from the smaller shows. 

Hoping that for her new music, she’ll do a world tour, start somewhere overseas, and end it here in the US. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John.... said:

I believe its great that Janet is doing the festivals because she will expose audiences that might not otherwise see her to her talent and performing so that's another bonus.

Yep I totally agree! I think there has been a plan probably starting since UB tour just get her out there and get the exposure to eventually build her performing repoitire back up to seat bigger venues. But we still have to mention there are only a handful of artist still around from the 80s doing major tours. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Csmitty said:

Yep I totally agree! I think there has been a plan probably starting since UB tour just get her out there and get the exposure to eventually build her performing repoitire back up to seat bigger venues. But we still have to mention there are only a handful of artist still around from the 80s doing major tours. 

her management has been on point and solid as hell they deserve a ton of credit, I felt like before she wasn't being managed as the Icon but as a pop star, and thankfully she's under the wing of someone who recognizes that marketing Janet Jackson means going above and beyond to show the masses, she's one of  a kind and part of pop royalty

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Its all about Janet being an asset to the music industry and reminding folks she's stayed in the game for a very long time. I often think about Europe though, they have their work cut out for them fixing that, but I say every journey begins with a single step, meaning if she has to start small to rebuild there then do so, but rebuild her brand as a world wide brand, hit those over seas markets she knows will eat her up like Japan.

The thing though, back to the festivals :rolleyes: them large ass full crowds is a damn good look with Janet on that stage wait for SF or NY she gone show out wait for it...gurl feel yo dayum punani -_- pat pat on da kitty cat

• Like 1

I’m genuinely enjoying Janet’s re-emergence to the music scene. As a fan, it’s all I’ve been hoping for since 2004. And it was solidified for me last year when I saw her at the Hollywood Bowl. Sitting behind me was a mother who brought her daughter with her. Her daughter was probably around 20 and knew none of the songs prior to the show but she was clearly enjoying the show and she made it clear that she would be streaming a ton of Janet songs to get caught up. It’s a beautiful thing to see people discover The Icon. Welcome back, Queen. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

^^ I've seen and heard that occurring too it happen the night I saw "Unbreakable" first US stop, I saw two White young girls walking after the show in the downtown area, and I couldnt help myself I asked "did you ladies just come from the Janet show?"  they said yes she's amazing!  Im like ummmm okay. The Detroit stop of SOTW had many young Black females that were there, and as I left again I overheard a young Black girl say "you can't compare Janet, she's a legend, she's someone I'm glad I got to see" meaning she hadn't seen her before

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:41 PM, John.... said:

Its all about Janet being an asset to the music industry and reminding folks she's stayed in the game for a very long time. I often think about Europe though, they have their work cut out for them fixing that, but I say every journey begins with a single step, meaning if she has to start small to rebuild there then do so, but rebuild her brand as a world wide brand, hit those over seas markets she knows will eat her up like Japan.

The thing though, back to the festivals :rolleyes: them large ass full crowds is a damn good look with Janet on that stage wait for SF or NY she gone show out wait for it...gurl feel yo dayum punani -_- pat pat on da kitty cat

She really will have her work cut out here and it will be interesting to see the approach. Im curious that she hasn't actually addressed us since 2016.  I wonder if the plans here are definite or dependent...im thinking the latter.

What confuses me about Europe/ the UK...  

1) If Janet's brothers can tour over there (I'm guessing it's their largest market now, as they perform much more there than they have in the states), then what is the disconnect that prevents Janet from having success in the market?  The Jacksons headline festivals and everything else in the UK... I'm quite shocked that people feel like Janet Jackson, a celebrity everyone knows, could not do the very same thing.  

2) Everyone obsesses about how Janet doesn't have any Number ones in the UK, but she is a HUGE artist there.  4 number ones on the airplay chart, a couple on the UK R&B charts, a ton of Top 10 singles, etc.  The difference between a successful UK/ Europe tour and not?  Probably just doing the same things that she has done stateside... make some appearances, do a couple of interviews, collect an award and she'd be good to go.  

3) It would be great to see Janet actually revisit one of her largest markets... South Africa.  She is an absolute legend in that country, and though the transportation costs are an expense, she'd likely fill lots of seats, surely enough to break even, or possibly support further touring efforts.  

4 hours ago, wayneashleymusic said:

What confuses me about Europe/ the UK...  

1) If Janet's brothers can tour over there (I'm guessing it's their largest market now, as they perform much more there than they have in the states), then what is the disconnect that prevents Janet from having success in the market?  The Jacksons headline festivals and everything else in the UK... I'm quite shocked that people feel like Janet Jackson, a celebrity everyone knows, could not do the very same thing.  

2) Everyone obsesses about how Janet doesn't have any Number ones in the UK, but she is a HUGE artist there.  4 number ones on the airplay chart, a couple on the UK R&B charts, a ton of Top 10 singles, etc.  The difference between a successful UK/ Europe tour and not?  Probably just doing the same things that she has done stateside... make some appearances, do a couple of interviews, collect an award and she'd be good to go.  

3) It would be great to see Janet actually revisit one of her largest markets... South Africa.  She is an absolute legend in that country, and though the transportation costs are an expense, she'd likely fill lots of seats, surely enough to break even, or possibly support further touring efforts.  

I didn't realise they toured over here that much? Stadiums or arena? Janet can sell here but the venues/number of shows has to be thought through properly.

The media has never really helped, referring to her as Michaels lil sister for a majority of the 80s/90s. Her living here and just walking around like a regular person has definitely caught people by surprise lol

41 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I didn't realise they toured over here that much? Stadiums or arena? Janet can sell here but the venues/number of shows has to be thought through properly.

The media has never really helped, referring to her as Michaels lil sister for a majority of the 80s/90s. Her living here and just walking around like a regular person has definitely caught people by surprise lol

Small venues