Buffy the Vampire Slayer is getting a reboot with a black woman in the lead role

Bailey

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/20/17597272/buffy-reboot-joss-whedon-black-woman-lead-monica-breen

Joss Whedon will revive his beloved series, along with Monica Owusu-Breen as showrunner and head writer.

By Aja Romano@ajaromano Jul 20, 2018, 9:55pm EDT

MV5BMTQ1MDU0NjYzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDI4 20th Century Fox

It’s been 21 years since Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer first arrived on the scene with its seminal mix of urban fantasy, teen angst, and clever worldbuilding and wordplay. Now, Whedon has announced that he will revive his beloved series for a new generation of Slayers — with one major twist.

Working with 20th Century Fox TV through its cable and streaming development arm, Fox 21 TV Studios, Whedon will produce an “inclusive” reboot of Buffy starring a black woman in the iconic title role originally played by Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Whedon will be an executive producer on the project, and Monica Owusu-Breen, who worked with Whedon on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., will serve as showrunner and head writer. Breen is a television veteran whose previous writing and producing credits include Charmed, Fringe, and Midnight, Texas. According to Deadline, Fox, which also recently rebooted The X-Files under its Fox 21 shingle, intends to pitch the reboot to cable and streaming networks this summer.

This is all great news for Buffy fans. However, the original series already had multiple characters of color who could factor into an “inclusive” reboot — including the Black slayer Kendra and the “First Slayer,” as well as other characters. As a result, some fans reacting to news of the reboot online have expressed confusion as to why a reboot has to racebend Buffy, when it could simply focus on a different character. Some fans have even questioned the need for a reboot of Buffy at all, over another vampire fable written by a woman of color.

Still, speaking to the Hollywood Reporter last year, Whedon stated that in order to revive Buffy, he would have to overcome his fear of producing “creaky” storytelling. Putting Owusu-Breen in charge seems to be his way of giving fans the best of both worlds, by creating a diverse new show that nonetheless features a storyline and a universe they already know and love.

45 minutes ago, janet.1814 said:

But we already had a black slayer, Kendra...

yes we did. I understand what they're trying to do by being inclusive however I do think it will backfire at some point when those who enjoyed the original shows like "Charmed" start talking ish

6 hours ago, kidfresh832 said:

Even though the original series was iconic and timeless I don't know that it needs a "reboot".

Use the same world and tell a new story with new characters.

Thumbnail

reboots to me are lazy, because Hollywood is just mining already established brands and trying them on new audiences, and for me it just feels wrong there are so many untold stories that we dont need reboots we need variety. If you want diversity bring in some more people of color that write, act, produce, and direct to see that

The first Slayer was of African descent, so these fans upset about her being of color need to get the fuck over it.

With that said hopefully she will be the offspring of Principal Woods and he names her after his best gal pal and it would be a continuation of the story. It's sounds cheesy but Reboots are cheesy to begin with and lazy and uninspiring and reductive. #ShesNotMe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoo said:

The first Slayer was of African descent, so these fans upset about her being of color need to get the fuck over it.

With that said hopefully she will be the offspring of Principal Woods and he names her after his best gal pal and it would be a continuation of the story. It's sounds cheesy but Reboots are cheesy to begin with and lazy and uninspiring and reductive. #ShesNotMe

I wish Principal Wood could impregnate me. -_-