The Official BMI AWARDS Thead

I attended tonight’s BMI awards -

Honest to God, it was the BEST TRIBUTE Janet has EVER received in her entire career. It was FUCKING EPIC!! Janet said so herself. She was teary eyed & this wasn’t a “being nice” moment she meant every word -

“I have had so many tributes over my career, and I am so blessed, but this was the best I have ever seen. I’ve never seen anything like that.” 

The tribute opened with Ciara, giving a speech to open the tribute up & introduce a group of young dancers. Literally about 50 kids ranging in age to about late teens.

Then H.E.R. came out and performed Black Cat on a guitar, then she also sang Anytime Anyplace and KILLLLLLED IT!!!!

Next, very randomly, they had Jessie Smollet, perform & he opened it up like the Doesn’t Really Matter at the VMAs, but just the dance opening. Then he performed That’s the Way Love Goes & a piece of Alright.  

Then they had, Normani perform PP with the mirrors and the chair and everything she KILLED IT! She didn’t pull the chair stunt off and nearly fell but her recovery seemed a part of the act. She did great. Like great. 

Next was Justine Skye & she performed Let’s Wait Awhile, KILLED IT!!!! Great vocals! Make up was reminiscent of Janet. Very much so. The mole the eyes everything. 

Then they closed the performances with TEYANA TAYLOR who performed IGL & it was everything you’d imagine it to be. She even had a wardrobe malfunction, little joke - they covered “all” of Janet’s highlights lol. 

Then Missy gave a final speech and introduced Janet. Janet’s speech was heartfelt & very beautiful. She looked amazing. All the artist wore variations of her look in some way or another. It was so epic. You could see Janet was taken aback and everyone there in the industry kept talking about it after it was over. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

27 minutes ago, Csmitty said:

^sounds like such a great experience! Very glad you were able to attend. Thanks for sharing!!! ???.. 

Does this air on TV? 

It doesn’t air on tv. The thing is, besides the tribute you wouldn’t want to see it on tv. It’s not that good & to MOST ppl they wouldn’t get it. 

Its a very industry and amongst your peers award show. Publishers, publishing companies, writers, producers, etc. are the ones being awarded. It would be boring to the general public. It also doesn’t fully move like the avg award show. Janet was honored as an icon…but this is such an honor because it’s actually for her writing and MUSIC crafting. 

The guy gave a CRAZY stat about her music, something along the lines of having 6 songs with over 12 million radio spins & 3 songs with like 18 million spins. To put it in perspective he said you would have to play those songs back to back on the radio  24/7 for 68 years. To reach those numbers. 

I’m going to speak with someone to clarify how that stat breaks down but that’s what he said. 

• Upvote 2