Cool fan-made video of Janet

Bailey

1 hour ago, Game For Now said:

OMG I actually enjoyed watching it. I even watched all 11 minutes of it.

30 Y.O. is upon us :shifty: 

I’m patiently waiting for @Mr. Wonder rebuttal tho :ph34r:

I watched it. I see they're still fabricating stuff, for what reason I don't know. Nice to see they're still using my research. Guess I was good for something. They didn't mention significance of the album, or what it meant for popular culture/music. But it was nice. Could've been better.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Wonder said:

I watched it. I see they're still fabricating stuff, for what reason I don't know. Nice to see they're still using my research. Guess I was good for something. They didn't mention significance of the album, or what it meant for popular culture/music. But it was nice. Could've been better.

is that a feeling you experience often?

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Mr. Wonder said:

hold up.....let's play a game of ....I spot a lie :shifty: 

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Which parts were fabricated?

12 hours ago, John.... said:

aint nobody here for Mr. Wonder's commentary

giphy.gif

Apparently you are

34 minutes ago, Game For Now said:

Which parts were fabricated?

Apparently you are

The part about RN1814 selling 2 million. It didn't. It sold 1.8 million in 4 weeks.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/25/arts/the-pop-life-039889.html

This is a receipt I found during my research years ago. This also tells me that whole sector of the fan base still pedals through the old threads I did, which I honestly don't mind because that's what they're there for and why I try to keep them updated when I find new stuff.

Also, that the Tokyo Dome show had 55k ppl. It didn't. The press release from 2008 says 48,000. 

http://www.emol.org/music/artists/jacksonjanet/2008witchuconcerttour.html

At most, 50k as reported by LA Times that was written at the time of the tour 

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-05-18/entertainment/ca-489_1_janet-jackson 

I just don't understand the need to fabricate when you have the receipts to support your claims. Also, Lamont, after all these years, still feels the need to point out where Janet bested Madonna in something. Instead of mentioning other artists, he could've spend that time focusing on how Janet's success was significant, and what the era meant for the progression of popular music. But let's point out that Janet bested a Madonna chart achievement on a niche chart. ?

The video also could've benefited from better organization. It should've started with the back story of the album, the success, and then the lasting impact coupled with the discussion of significance. From there, viewers wouldhave a better understanding of, and could trace, how the pop music landscape began to change because of that album. But with RRHOF noms next month, this video is right on time. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I only agree with that he should have not insinuated that the Tokyo shows had 55k people each. But he only stated that number as the capacity.

But other than that, some of the criticisms seem nitpicky and overdramatic.

That said, I think he overemphasized on the chart success where he could have discussed the artistic impact and influence in the industry more. It should have aimed to show the Janet was not just another pop star.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Illi said:

I only agree with that he should have not insinuated that the Tokyo shows had 55k people each. But he only stated that number as the capacity.

But other than that, some of the criticisms seem nitpicky and overdramatic.

That said, I think he overemphasized on the chart success where he could have discussed the artistic impact and influence in the industry more. It should have aimed to show the Janet was not just another pop star.

I agree I think the problem with continuously using chart stats to prop Janet up, is the numbers get lost in the shuffle sorta speak. If its about getting Janet inducted, they need to come to another approach that doesnt rely so much on numbers and stats

When presenting an informative work of art, as such, there's a duty of the presenter to present the work factually. That's the whole point of something being informative. A lot of these videos are heavily reliant on chart achievements and record sales many ppl already know. So reiterating them video after video becomes redundant. At some point you have to look past that and assess why exactly the success is significant, and discuss that. These videos fail to do that every single time

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

The part about RN1814 selling 2 million. It didn't. It sold 1.8 million in 4 weeks.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/25/arts/the-pop-life-039889.html

This is a receipt I found during my research years ago. This also tells me that whole sector of the fan base still pedals through the old threads I did, which I honestly don't mind because that's what they're there for and why I try to keep them updated when I find new stuff.

Also, that the Tokyo Dome show had 55k ppl. It didn't. The press release from 2008 says 48,000. 

http://www.emol.org/music/artists/jacksonjanet/2008witchuconcerttour.html

At most, 50k as reported by LA Times that was written at the time of the tour 

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-05-18/entertainment/ca-489_1_janet-jackson 

I just don't understand the need to fabricate when you have the receipts to support your claims. Also, Lamont, after all these years, still feels the need to point out where Janet bested Madonna in something. Instead of mentioning other artists, he could've spend that time focusing on how Janet's success was significant, and what the era meant for the progression of popular music. But let's point out that Janet bested a Madonna chart achievement on a niche chart. ?

The video also could've benefited from better organization. It should've started with the back story of the album, the success, and then the lasting impact coupled with the discussion of significance. From there, viewers wouldhave a better understanding of, and could trace, how the pop music landscape began to change because of that album. But with RRHOF noms next month, this video is right on time. 

Well damn ?

Honestly if some of you don't like Lamont's video, why dont you make video that you feel better represents Janet's impact? The main criticism (over reliance on chart stats, sales and awards) is completely justified,  but it seems that things has gotten personal with him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Wonder said:

I don't understand why a critique of a work of art has to be misconstrued as a vendetta. I was asked about a video, watched it, and then gave my thoughts about it. You're just creating something that isn't there in an attempt to make it something that it's clearly not. 

It's more than this thread, but if there's nothing more than critique I'll kill it.

He probably did use a little liberty, I just didn't think that that was the real issue with the video.

6 hours ago, Illi said:

It's more than this thread, but if there's nothing more than critique I'll kill it.

He probably did use a little liberty, I just didn't think that that was the real issue with the video.

Yes, it's nothing more than critique.

And in an attempt to bring attention to Janet's contributions and get her inducted into the RRHOF, one would think it would be important to present that evidence factually, no? 

33 minutes ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Yes, it's nothing more than critique.

And in an attempt to bring attention to Janet's contributions and get her inducted into the RRHOF, one would think it would be important to present that evidence factually, no? 

I don't think he should grossly misrepresent information, which I think he avoided doing. If he had the information you presented he should have definitely used it, but even with it, he didn't state anything un-plausible. 

Moreover, he should have argued that Rhythm Nation isn't one of the greatest albums of all time mostly because it had hits and and sold alot. Though I think he went into the depths of the recording process sufficiently, he didn't exactly answer why should we still be listening to the album today.

^^ I hear you but the issue here is we've had the same critique for the other 18 videos doing the same damn thing, and its like turning off spellcheck on Microsoft word, why dont you get the facts checked? Most journalists will actually source their facts, if Austin can do that here in less than the time it took to make the video, why keep making videos with no fact checker? Or even better use a source for the "facts" you present :sigh:  or stop with the damn stats already its not impressing the Hall