When Pop Stars Attempt Movie Stardom: Gaga, Cher, and Other Film Debuts, Ranked

kaeh1213

They place Janet in the Top Ten. I’d rank her higher, of course :)

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/lady-gaga-star-is-born-pop-stars-film-debuts-ranked.html

9. Janet Jackson — Poetic Justice (1993)
She didn’t win “Most Desirable Female” at the MTV Movie Awards for nothing! (A different time, 1993.) And there’s plenty more to budding bard Justice than her looks. Jackson makes her out to be a fully rounded, substantive young woman capable of introspection, dysfunction, independence, and affection, of messing up and learning and getting tougher the way adults in training do. She and a trio of friends — most notably a magnetic Tupac Shakur as Lucky — make the drive from South Central L.A. up to Oakland, and the lower stakes of their destination befit the more low-key profundity of the wisdom they gain along the way. Justice isn’t headed for stardom, just a hairdressing convention, and rather than anything as trite as “follow your dreams,” Jackson locates the more satisfying pearl of “in a brutal world, hold on to whoever you can.”

Related image

They put "Carmen a Hip-hopera" over Poetic Justice.......over Poetic Justice......in what universe, and it's not even a Beyonce dig, it's a "That was a mess & nobody talks/thinks about that mess" dig. Janet deserved top 3, she's a better actress than Whitney but The Bodyguard is brilliant in that it's selling you Whitney's best asset her voice, and her appearance throughout the whole movie, so based on that I can see why it's 2nd, but um Poetic Justice was legitimately a good movie, and though Janet's performance I don't think owned the movie (she shared best performance with Pac & Regina easily, if anyone says they think either of them did better than Janet I always get it), but the movie is legitmately a better & more iconic movie than most of the rankings on the list period. 

Diana's #1 is as deserved as that Oscar nomination tho

Related image

• Upvote 1