Janet Named the 2018 MTV EMA Global Icon!!

wayneashleymusic

This year's MTV EMA Global Icon award is going to legendary pop and R&B singer Janet Jackson! Janet will celebrate the occasion by performing a medley of her iconic hits including her new single "Made For Now" at the MTV EMA on 4 November. It will be her first ever EMA performance. 

http://www.mtvema.com/news/bua5fg/janet-jackson-global-icon 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Game For Now said:

LP or EP?

Either way, an independent artist doesn’t need to test water especially someone of her caliber

That “testing water” is horsewash 

Sorry I meant EP. And let's stop with this "someone of her caliber" narrative. She's not above anything, if we're being honest.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Tituba said:

Here we go again.

I dont want Janet releasing shit unless she is confident. Fuck that and anybody who thinks otherwise

I don’t understand where “releasing shit” comes into play. 

She’s not doing an EP imo. If she were she would have already released it or announce it as an EP bc, from her lips, she has enough material for an album and that British producer was interviewed talking about an EP and the five tracks it over the summer

Her being in the studio is an indication that she’s releasing a full album (as she should)

Just bc it’s not an EP (which is a waste of time) doesn’t mean it’ll be shit. 

So, hypothetically, lets say the direction has changed from EP to LP - it would not be because an EP is a waste of time. It also isn’t because she has enough material to release an album. She ALWAYS over records material. Then they decide what stays and what goes. 

If you don’t think MFN was tested before she dropped it to get an opinion on if it would do better than other stuff she has recorded you’re naive. Not to mention she has songs better than MFN on ice right now. MFN was recorded in the FIRST half of the SOTW tour. It’s actually about a year old. If you’re a fan of Janet you know there have been GREAT ideas that didn’t pan out...for whatever reason from lingerie lines to productions. 

If you get an album before an EP, I’m willing to bet the initial strategy for the EP will not be fully executed for an entire album & that’ll be kinda unfortunate. 

2 hours ago, FreelovesJJ said:

So, hypothetically, lets say the direction has changed from EP to LP - it would not be because an EP is a waste of time. It also isn’t because she has enough material to release an album. She ALWAYS over records material. Then they decide what stays and what goes. 

If you don’t think MFN was tested before she dropped it to get an opinion on if it would do better than other stuff she has recorded you’re naive. Not to mention she has songs better than MFN on ice right now. MFN was recorded in the FIRST half of the SOTW tour. It’s actually about a year old. If you’re a fan of Janet you know there have been GREAT ideas that didn’t pan out...for whatever reason from lingerie lines to productions. 

If you get an album before an EP, I’m willing to bet the initial strategy for the EP will not be fully executed for an entire album & that’ll be kinda unfortunate. 

Literally there is no direction, publically

What does that stupid and ill-timed bra line or What’s the T have to do with music in 2018? Let that shit go. JanFam always living in the past

MFN was Tested privately between her peers and colleagues... shocking revelation!!!! Too bad that a completely different test than dropping a waste of time to the fans after years of releasing actual albums. 

Keep that shit. Drop an album. Continue that tour, perform those 6 songs that were going to be on that EP anyhow 

8 hours ago, Game For Now said:

And let’s stop with this “testing the waters” narrative. That’s not a thing in 2018. You release or don’t 

She's testing the waters lol. She's doing an EP to see how she'll perform in the streaming era. If it performs well, she'll probably do a whole album down the road. If it doesn't, it can't be held to the same standard as an album because it's only an EP so the expectations aren't the same. Her image isn't tarnished by a poor performing EP, or she can be praised for a successful EP. It's literally a win-win situation for her. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Wonder said:

She's testing the waters lol. She's doing an EP to see how she'll perform in the streaming era. If it performs well, she'll probably do a whole album down the road. If it doesn't, it can't be held to the same standard as an album because it's only an EP so the expectations aren't the same. Her image isn't tarnished by a poor performing EP, or she can be praised for a successful EP. It's literally a win-win situation for her. 

Spoiler alert: she doesn’t have to do an EP to “test the streaming waters” bc she’s not a streaming artist. Never will be. She’s 50+. Her demographic is older and are less inclined to stream (or rent) music compared to the youth who won’t touch her. 

Spoiler alert: all albums will perform poorly unless you’re Drake, Adele........... that’s about it 

She can literally do all that with an LP. Tarnishing her image didn’t stop her in 2004, 2006, 2008, 2015. 

So now y’all are for EP bc releasing 5 songs won’t tarnish her image (nothing to do with testing out sounds)? :lmao: 

Just release an album like ya did in 2015. It didn’t exactly perform well but it was critical acclaimed. 

1 hour ago, Game For Now said:

Literally there is no direction, publically

What does that stupid and ill-timed bra line or What’s the T have to do with music in 2018? Let that shit go. JanFam always living in the past

MFN was Tested privately between her peers and colleagues... shocking revelation!!!! Too bad that a completely different test than dropping a waste of time to the fans after years of releasing actual albums. 

Keep that shit. Drop an album. Continue that tour, perform those 6 songs that were going to be on that EP anyhow 

You’re so fucking obtuse it’s ridiculous. The point of bringing up things that didn’t happen is to explain shit is often planned in Janet’s camp that doesn’t always pan out. It has nothing to do with how “good” or “bad” of an idea it is. You’re unaware of the intended strategy for an EP so you’re so against the shit that every time it comes up you police the statements with negative responses. 

You just MIGHT get your album without the EP & IF you do, I’m betting you will have gotten a lesser roll out & strategy. 

No one cares about the stupid bra and panties line that should NEVER have been a thought... it has nothing to do with music. The documentary has nothing to do with music. You mentioning them as if 1) they are relevant 2) I didn’t know about Janet’s stupid ideas during the Great Repressive Era.

As a fan, I don’t care about a strategy. It doesn’t matter. The EP or album isn’t going to sell, it’s not going to stream well. It’s for the fans.. give the fans what they want. An album. A tour

Save that EP BS 

37 minutes ago, Game For Now said:

No one cares about the stupid bra and panties line that should NEVER have been a thought... it has nothing to do with music. The documentary has nothing to do with music. You mentioning them as if 1) they are relevant 2) I didn’t know about Janet’s stupid ideas during the Great Repressive Era.

As a fan, I don’t care about a strategy. It doesn’t matter. The EP or album isn’t going to sell, it’s not going to stream well. It’s for the fans.. give the fans what they want. An album. A tour

Save that EP BS 

You’re stupid af - the bra line is what could have been a very smart business move for Janet - it’s more residual income & with a brand like hers she could have played off of that for many years and made a lot of money. Your opinion on that is irrelevant because you’ll respond just to be petty. 

The music being rolled out is a strategy and to say as a fan you don’t care about strategy is because you don’t realize that as a fan - you are a part of the fucking strategy. You are a consumer. Fan is a nice word for consumer. So if the music is for the consumer then there is always a sales strategy. The music is for more than just you Janet is a business with a lot of people attached to her. She has a label and ambitions beyond herself. She would and could be the first form of a proof of concept for any other artists to be developed by her and her team. 

Not to mention - when it’s all said and done we’ll have another convo. You think you don’t care & you think it doesn’t matter but that’s with you not realizing the potential of what could be created. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes a smart business move after America hates your for exposing your boob.. perfect timing to sell sex after a scandal ??‍♂️

I don’t care about her money flow. That doesn’t matter to me or you. 

As a loyal consumer to Janet (like most marketable businesses), we’re going to buy it no matter what. So a music strategy isn’t to attract her fans, it’s to attract new fans much like an iPhone isn’t to attract the previous model but the older models

So no. The strategy doesn’t matter to fans. All that matters is the new music and if that’s on point then everything else is extra

I don’t care about potential. Unless that potential four more albums in 2019