I really feel Rock Witchu Tour doesnt get its proper praise...

janetDAYZ

Even tho i had seen the show live, last week i decided to randomly watch it in full one night. And MY GOD. 

First of all...let me point out a few things that this tour had that her other tours didnt.

1. Can we talk about how incredibly lengthy that show was? This is the longest show shes EVER done for a tour. 2 and 1/2 hours!!! ...I remember being there thinking "damn this show is never ending". 

2. It was the FIRST time she was being unconventional w/ the setlist when she had the fans to call the hotline to request certain songs to be in the show. Her peforming FHTF...i waa juss DONE with life.

3. Her going back to the pre-Control songs for the HARD CORE FANS????? No one would have ever guessed in a million yrs  this lady would be singing some damn "Young Love" on a tour. No ONE!

4. The fact that for the ballads this woman was in a full gown (no chair) but standing there with just her, spotlight and beautiful backdrops and a mic like on some Celine/Mariah type shit. I thought it was incredibly brave considering ppl dont look at her as a supreme vocal powerhouse but Janet was gonna treat and deliver those ballads in a supreme elegant diva-esque way. That really impressed me. Cus i always felt her sitting and singing her ballads came off kind of timid like ...but with this tour..? She transformed into a confident diva. 

5. The production. The production. The production. We all know it was her biggest production..lights, pyros,etc.AMAZINGGGGGGGGGG. Im sure it was the most expensive production shes ever had.

6. Theme.. For differemt parts of the show, i felt this tour had the best themes. She had the tribal shit with them beating the drums at the end of A4U... she opened the show w/ the futuristic space like theme. Then she had whole sailors look for "Alright" ...then she had the street/urban section with "So Excited"... it was juss such a fresh different approach and look for these songs than any of her other tours

6. "IF" 

Can we talk about how she didnt just do "If" but she performed the same version she did on the 94' VMA's .. Where it starts off slow and she instantly starts off singing the 2nd verse... OMFG. IM DONE. YALL GET MY POINT. IT WAS OVER THEN. LIFE HAD BEEN GIVEN

7. The stage. The catwalk stage surrounding the pit of ppl. Incredible idea. More interactive and In-Yo-Face experience for lucky audience members.

The only two flaws?

1. We all know the good Janet vs Evil Janet was corny.

2. I noticed her actual dancing was not up to par with her showmanship for prior tours..but I equate that to being more out of breath and tired since it was a longer show than her other tours. You could see she had to pace herself to get through 2 and 1/2 hours so she could REALLY give it to you hard cus she had to preserve her stamina. 

Who else feels this tour is underappreciated? I truly believe this was probably the hardest tour Janet has ever put together based on all the different ideas,staging, choreo...it was juss so many different elements of detail that went into putting that show together. I cant even imagine how she did it. That show looked like alottttttttt of long long hours and hard work!

• Like 1

Ive always said it was her best, even though I never saw it live - had tickets but my date in Philly got cancelled. I think again the cancellations marred the legacy of how great it was.

The catwalk stage alone...the part in Control where she walks down and it segues into WHYDFML with the smoke jets...ugh.

Damn you Vertigo!!

• Upvote 1

It was definitely the best show she had done, up until STOW. Because the set list was unmatched. I loved the theme of it. She was telling some very personal things that I don’t think ppl caught in the good vs. evil. 

She had an amazing stage. She just killed it. SOTW wins in set list at this point but RWU was an epic show. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, vibeology said:

Ive always said it was her best, even though I never saw it live - had tickets but my date in Philly got cancelled. I think again the cancellations marred the legacy of how great it was.

The catwalk stage alone...the part in Control where she walks down and it segues into WHYDFML with the smoke jets...ugh.

Damn you Vertigo!!

??????

2 hours ago, bu. said:

I really loved the outfits too tbh. I’m sure people were clowning theM back then but I loved that they were different. I especially liked the yellow spideysuit. Don’t come for me. 

Ppl sooooooo overreacted to that yellow spideysuit !!! I will never forget when the pix of her first show hit the internet this board was goin ape shit about that costume in a bad way ??? and the thing about it is that it juss didnt photograph that well but in person it wasnt bad AT ALL. The costumes were her most "unique" of all her tours but i was always indifferent about that element. Taste level? It wasnt exactly my thing but i appreciate things that are different and/ or unique...so i was on the fence as far as the costumes. 

I, gratefully, got to see the show twice, in Chicago it was fun, the reschedule in Michigan the law contacted the venue and told Janet's people she could not simulate sex on stage with the pick a guy out the crowd. Janet explained that they cut this out the show due to "some law" and that she hoped we appreciated the show she did give us, and to which I clapped the loudest. Oh and I met Game :lol:  he was cool. She cut several songs I really wanted to hear out from the Michigan reschedule I'm like okay I get she cant do the sex act but she still could have given us FHTF

I remember my sister purchased tickets for that tour back in the fall of ‘08. I was S Ex to see her live for the first time but unfortunately, her show in Boston was one of the many cancelled shows. Sigh...

I agree and also disagree with some opinions on it tho. Yes, the tour was easily her biggest and more in your face tour production wise! It was a HUGE change after her previous 3 tours followed the same format: Control Medley, Whismisical Medley, etc. But like most said, Janet didn’t seem into it as much as her first 4 international tours. Honestly, at that time Janet undoubtably still had it. But let’s be real, she was pushing herself HARD for her agruably her biggest and of course, longest setlist when she hadn’t been on tour for almost 7 years! She was deft out of practice and was in over her head. The talent and drive was still there but clearly the tour was taking its toll on her for that reason.

As visually and epic the “Rock Witchu” Tour was with the tribal medley to the Urban Street section that incorporated songs like “Nasty” and “So Excited” in elaborate ways, it’s truly a shame. Probably the last time we’ll see Janet go straight throw the choreography of “All Nite”, “Doesn’t Really Matter” and especially “Rock With You”! Do the “If” breakdown with the signature arm movements! ??? She def killed it but clearly at what cost? Since then Janet did a complete overhaul of her tours for that reason.  Something tells me she just couldn’t get into the big production tours anymore to focus more on her classic showmanship than the high octane visuals and stunning scope of them. A shame but SOTW is her best in years regardless, especially considering she’s moving MUCH better in her early 50s than her early 40s n I think that because Janet knows her limits now. It’s not about how much she moves anymore but more about how she executes those moves when she needs to. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, John.... said:

I gratefully got to see the show twice, in Chicago it was fun, the reschedule in Michigan the law contacted the venue and told Janet's people she could not simulate sex on stage with the pick a guy out the crowd. Janet explained that they cut this out the show due to "some law" and that she hoped we appreciated the show she did give us, and to which I clapped the loudest. Oh and I met Game :lol:  he was cool. She cut several songs I really wanted to hear out from the Michigan reschedule I'm like okay I get she cant do the sex act but she still could have given us FHTF

giphy.gif

Anyhoo. I loved the mohawk and the catsuit too. Oh and the dramatic drop to the knees in Feedback :excited:I remember these lil things.

3 hours ago, vibeology said:

giphy.gif

Oh my bad yo :lol:  Ive been a serious diehard for a very long time, when she gets inducted I plan on flying to that. I flew to Vegas to see Janet. I guess what I am saying is if you want it bad enough you will make it happen. Its not unheard of for people to fly into other countries to see her, I contemplated see her in Toronto because I knew it would be lit and sold out. When I saw her in Vegas on UCAP I sat next to two guys from Australia, one was a big Janet fan the other the bf that loved Kylie and they were going to see her in New York.

1 minute ago, John.... said:

Oh my bad yo :lol:  Ive been a serious diehard for a very long time, when she gets inducted I plan on flying to that. I flew to Vegas to see Janet. I guess what I am saying is if you want it bad enough you will make it happen. Its not unheard of for people to fly into other countries to seeing her, I contemplated see her in Toronto because I knew it would be lit and sold out. When I saw her in Vegas on UCAP I sat next to two guys from Australia, one was a big Janet fan the other the bf that loved Kylie and they were going to see her in New York.

The only time ive seen Janet live was abroad in Charlotte for Unbreakable. I had already booked a trip to see a buddy in ATL and he is just as big a fan, so when she announced the tour we had to do it together. Similarly I planned a trip to Philly to see her on this and it got cancelled. 

3 minutes ago, vibeology said:

The only time ive seen Janet live was abroad in Charlotte for Unbreakable. I had already booked a trip to see a buddy in ATL and he is just as big a fan, so when she announced the tour we had to do it together. Similarly I planned a trip to Philly to see her on this and it got cancelled. 

Omg she shut down Charlotte, I remember that.

RWU was my first Janet tour, at MSG..... I loved it. I too thought, “damn wtf does she have left to sing”... it felt long af, but in a good way.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, vibeology said:

I'm pretty sure Janet hasn't given up on touring Europe her team is working it out and we shall see. Keep in mind Janet is in a creative state of mind, her performance in Spain was amazing. MFN was very well made song and video, and we know she's been working on new music for quite some time, so there's a lot going on. Janet never has given up on her fans, she even said when Europe would be rescheduled there was something special planned just for Europe, so rest assured Janet is aware of her European fans. I know its going to take some patience beyond measure, but she's always worth it. :good:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John.... said:

I'm pretty sure Janet hasn't given up on touring Europe her team is working it out and we shall see. Keep in mind Janet is in a creative state of mind, her performance in Spain was amazing. MFN was very well made song and video, and we know she's been working on new music for quite some time, so there's a lot going on. Janet never has given up on her fans, she even said when Europe would be rescheduled there was something special planned just for Europe, so rest assured Janet is aware of her European fans. I know its going to take some patience beyond measure, but she's always worth it. :good:

I know she wants to...its just whether business wise it can work, but lets not derail!

1st row in atlanta .... LOVED this tour ...there were moments i said oh yeah i forgot this song...funny how time fly into displicine was dope .. true Queen of a Music... 

I wasn't a fan of her gtig/ttwlg/com set .. however the tour was amazing!!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not bragging, because if I did it just means I'm an "old man" :rolleyes: of all of them I have seen, all 14 shows. It's either the Janet. tour or VR, and I lean only to VR because it had the commercial and critical impact, I actually think the best whimsical was during the VR tour...not to take away from the others because each has something, this last tour she did the music was seriously mixed and vamped up pumpa boo pumpa .....get in to it, get involved -_-

1 hour ago, GTIG said:

1st row in atlanta .... LOVED this tour ...there were moments i said oh yeah i forgot this song...funny how time fly into displicine was dope .. true Queen of a Music... 

I wasn't a fan of her gtig/ttwlg/com set .. however the tour was amazing!!!!!! 

get it :excited:

4 hours ago, Lenzo88 said:

I remember my sister purchased tickets for that tour back in the fall of ‘08. I was S Ex to see her live for the first time but unfortunately, her show in Boston was one of the many cancelled shows. Sigh...

I agree and also disagree with some opinions on it tho. Yes, the tour was easily her biggest and more in your face tour production wise! It was a HUGE change after her previous 3 tours followed the same format: Control Medley, Whismisical Medley, etc. But like most said, Janet didn’t seem into it as much as her first 4 international tours. Honestly, at that time Janet undoubtably still had it. But let’s be real, she was pushing herself HARD for her agruably her biggest and of course, longest setlist when she hadn’t been on tour for almost 7 years! She was deft out of practice and was in over her head. The talent and drive was still there but clearly the tour was taking its toll on her for that reason.

As visually and epic the “Rock Witchu” Tour was with the tribal medley to the Urban Street section that incorporated songs like “Nasty” and “So Excited” in elaborate ways, it’s truly a shame. Probably the last time we’ll see Janet go straight throw the choreography of “All Nite”, “Doesn’t Really Matter” and especially “Rock With You”! Do the “If” breakdown with the signature arm movements! ??? She def killed it but clearly at what cost? Since then Janet did a complete overhaul of her tours for that reason.  Something tells me she just couldn’t get into the big production tours anymore to focus more on her classic showmanship than the high octane visuals and stunning scope of them. A shame but SOTW is her best in years regardless, especially considering she’s moving MUCH better in her early 50s than her early 40s n I think that because Janet knows her limits now. It’s not about how much she moves anymore but more about how she executes those moves when she needs to. 

there were a lot of things that were not in place for her, she still had a Virgin contract album, she was under Live Nation, who dominates touring, and worst of all it was being "sold" as a mirror compliment to Madonna's tour of the same year. Business wise the tour and the demand wasn't right, and I think she knew this before it all went down but she tried. Janet is a human being like all of us, and we make choices that dont pan out the way we wanted them to. No matter what has happen or will, Janet Jackson is, was, and remains the soundtrack to my life and I love her for sharing her talent with us :good: