Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jinthahouse

Do you believe Damita Jo album wouldve been the year's best selling album

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Jakob said:

Its not my fantasy world, my friend. At 37, Janet had a #2 album (consider that Usher was #1 and the hot new thing atm) which is not bad at all. Of course, people bought the album after the Superbowl hysteria but the singles were pretty much only bought by the fans because radio didn't support. Thats why she peaked at #45 and #57 on the Hot 100. Without big airplay. You need radio and tv support (Viacom) and non-fans to buy the music too.

I’m familiar with her chart success, or lack thereof... but the music was trash. I don’t care if you want to accept that fact or not 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, janet.1814 said:

 

The point was that sales and album placement don’t determine what’s trash and what’s not

her music that u call trash did better then the music you deem good....furthermore, she’s still performing ANDS, Feedback, Moist, Ruff, RWU....so clearly she doesn’t think it’s trash 

AND at her shows, when they play her unreleased tracks from the decade u call trash, the crowd gets the most hype 

Correct. I agree

When I say “trash” I’m comparing it to 1986-2001 & 2015.. JANET JACKSON ONLY 

I don’t care what she’s performing.. it is not better than her 1986-2001 & 2015 music. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

I’m familiar with her chart success, or lack thereof... but the music was trash. I don’t care if you want to accept that fact or not 

It's just your opinion dude. You can't say that it's trash and that that is a fact. You clearly dislike Damita Jo which is fine, but you can't say the fact that it failed on the charts and sales-wise is because it's 'trash'. There's actual trashy music out there that is #1 all over the world. 💁🏻‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, janet.1814 said:

Based on sales of previous albums + promotion of current album 

 

clearly they didnt anticipate a blacklisting 

 

it would be interesting to see where Janet’s career would’ve gone had she not been blacklisted

Fair enough. 

I personally always thought there was more of a blacklist with 20 YO. MTV still played her videos until DJ era was over as far as I remember. But it was so long ago that I can’t remember much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also DJ isn’t trash 🙄. It’s a cute summery album with bops galore. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Correct. I agree

When I say “trash” I’m comparing it to 1986-2001 & 2015.. JANET JACKSON ONLY 

I don’t care what she’s performing.. it is not better than her 1986-2001 & 2015 music. 

If that music was better then she’d be singing You Can Be Mine and What’ll i Do instead of Feedback and Moist 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bu. said:

Fair enough. 

I personally always thought there was more of a blacklist with 20 YO. MTV still played her videos until DJ era was over as far as I remember. But it was so long ago that I can’t remember much. 

Actually with 20 YO, at least BET would play her videos... she even did 2 Access Granted shows with them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, janet.1814 said:

Thank god you don’t see color and how Justin and his white privilege helped him in that situation 

Oh I do see color...I believe I saw a BROWN boob with a SILVER plated sun nipple ring attached at the end of it. What was not present was the RED lace that was supposed to stay on...that white privelege is sneaky I tell ya :flipoff:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dominique Laveau said:

Oh I do see color...I believe I saw a BROWN boob with a SILVER plated sun nipple ring attached at the end of it. What was not present was the RED lace that was supposed to stay on...that white privelege is sneaky I tell ya :flipoff:

whoever wrote that to you claiming you dont see color, doesn't know you at all :mellow:  should we bump up the reintro thread ? :unsure:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, janet.1814 said:

Thank god you don’t see color and how Justin and his white privilege helped him in that situation 

You know he’s black.. right :umm: 

It wasnt Justin’s idea. It wasn’t his breast either. He also apologized and kissed ass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

You know he’s black.. right :umm: 

So’s Uncle Tom 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dominique Laveau said:

Oh I do see color...I believe I saw a BROWN boob with a SILVER plated sun nipple ring attached at the end of it. What was not present was the RED lace that was supposed to stay on...that white privelege is sneaky I tell ya :flipoff:

The red lace was supposed to stay on, BUT it was ripped off. 

 

Even if it was planned, the aftermath was uncalled for.... and now the receipts show that Janet was sabotaged, so what more prof do u need about it not being Janet’s fault? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, janet.1814 said:

So’s Uncle Tom 

Ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, janet.1814 said:

The red lace was supposed to stay on, BUT it was ripped off. 

 

Even if it was planned, the aftermath was uncalled for.... and now the receipts show that Janet was sabotaged, so what more prof do u need about it not being Janet’s fault? 

And who planned it? Did they sabotaged her music Or did she do that herself? 

That was the point of the post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at all. Not with a monster that was Herpusher's confession...

And even without that type of competition it would sell less than AFY, specially on international markets. 

ANDS would be at least a top 10 song though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be an Uncle Tom if it means not babying Janet.

Janet is a grown woman and responsible for her career. She made the feeble-minded decision to have that white man on stage with her, follow her around while groping her and then she trusted him to meticulously rip an article of clothing from her bosom area only to reveal another part of clothing underneath :rolleyes: chile

Yes there is racism (I've dealt with it) ...Yes there is sexism and yes this country overreacted and Janet's career was slighted. Lucky for me I knew that racism and sexism existed before she took the stage (Janet has made albums about it:wacko:) and I wouldn't have planned a reveal like that knowing these things to be true unless I secretly wanted something to happen, but that's none of my business.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dominique Laveau said:

I'll be an Uncle Tom if it means not babying Janet.

Janet is a grown woman and responsible for her career. She made the feeble-minded decision to have that white man on stage with her, follow her around while groping her and then she trusted him to meticulously rip an article of clothing from her bosom area only to reveal another part of clothing underneath :rolleyes: chile

Yes there is racism (I've dealt with it) ...Yes there is sexism and yes this country overreacted and Janet's career was slighted. Lucky for me I knew that racism and sexism existed before she took the stage (Janet has made albums about it:wacko:) and I wouldn't have planned a reveal like that knowing these things to be true unless I secretly wanted something to happen, but that's none of my business.

it happen, Im glad its been so long that so many other events have distanced Janet from that one event that seemed to define her career for years after

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bailey said:

it happen, Im glad its been so long that so many other events have distanced Janet from that one event that seemed to define her career for years after

Yes it was unfortunate but Janet played a role in it...that's all I'm saying. She also played a role in releasing mediocre music when you had everybody and they momma pretending to be you and beating you at your own game. Jlo, Britney, Beyonce and the birth of Ciara were all present in 2004 and you thought it was cute to make an album talking about how calm and relaxing it is to be on the beach listening to waves...Chile...she needed to come out swinging and she didn't. Damita Jo was lazy and then 20YO happens and Ciara and others perfected their Janet impressions and well she wasn't needed anymore and the fact that she was being blackballed didn't help BUT if that music was undeniable...there is no way you could have silenced her. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dominique Laveau said:

Yes it was unfortunate but Janet played a role in it...that's all I'm saying. She also played a role in releasing mediocre music when you had everybody and they momma pretending to be you and beating you at your own game. Jlo, Britney, Beyonce and the birth of Ciara were all present in 2004 and you thought it was cute to make an album talking about how calm and relaxing it is to be on the beach listening to waves...Chile...she needed to come out swinging and she didn't. Damita Jo was lazy and then 20YO happens and Ciara and others perfected their Janet impressions and well she wasn't needed anymore and the fact that she was being blackballed didn't help BUT if that music was undeniable...there is no way you could have silenced her. 

this is where it kinda falls off the mark though because for awhile Janet didnt seem interested in music

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bailey said:

this is where it kinda falls off the mark though because for awhile Janet didnt seem interested in music

She didn't and she let others do the work for her. Babyface and them had Janet out here making generic r&b songs that are usually reserved for acts like Brandy and Toni Braxton. Where is the woman who thought it would be a good look to collaborate with an established opera singer...where is the creative entity who knew that a song with Joni Mitchell and Qtip would be the cat's meow...she was always ahead of the curve...she took a step back with All For You but the music and creativity was there like clouds in coffee...Damita Jo She just said fuck it and 20Yo she threw in the towel all together-_-

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dominique Laveau said:

She didn't and she let others do the work for her. Babyface and them had Janet out here making generic r&b songs that are usually reserved for acts like Brandy and Toni Braxton. Where is the woman who thought it would be a good look to collaborate with an established opera singer...where is the creative entity who knew that a song with Joni Mitchell and Qtip would be the cat's meow...she was always ahead of the curve...she took a step back with All For You but the music and creativity was there like clouds in coffee...Damita Jo She just said fuck it and 20Yo she threw in the towel all together-_-

let's not discount Janet's relationship with Virgin records, by that point Virgin had paid Mariah millions not to record, and kept Janet on contract .....Janet probably said here go the album I am required to give you here :filenails:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 9:55 AM, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

And who planned it? Did they sabotaged her music Or did she do that herself? 

That was the point of the post

THEY SABOTAGED her music.

 

the tea has already been spilt, so why u actin brand new 👀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...