Do you believe Damita Jo album wouldve been the year's best selling album

jinthahouse

On 8/4/2019 at 2:21 PM, Dominique Laveau said:

Yes it was unfortunate but Janet played a role in it...that's all I'm saying. She also played a role in releasing mediocre music when you had everybody and they momma pretending to be you and beating you at your own game. Jlo, Britney, Beyonce and the birth of Ciara were all present in 2004 and you thought it was cute to make an album talking about how calm and relaxing it is to be on the beach listening to waves...Chile...she needed to come out swinging and she didn't. Damita Jo was lazy and then 20YO happens and Ciara and others perfected their Janet impressions and well she wasn't needed anymore and the fact that she was being blackballed didn't help BUT if that music was undeniable...there is no way you could have silenced her. 

I find it amazing at how u criticize her artistic choices. She clearly isn’t and wasn’t pressed  and didn’t need to come out swinging Bc no1 came close to taking her spot. 

If any of Janet’s top albums were released after the Super Bowl, they would’ve flopped. 

You cant get and hit songs on the radio if you are being blacklisted and vilified  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, janet.1814 said:

I find it amazing at how u criticize her artistic choices. She clearly isn’t and wasn’t pressed  and didn’t need to come out swinging Bc no1 came close to taking her spot. 

If any of Janet’s top albums were released after the Super Bowl, they would’ve flopped. 

You cant get and hit songs on the radio if you are being blacklisted and vilified  

Thank you

It's clear that you and I have a difference of opinion, but now Im being called out for criticizing her artistic choices....are you new? That's all anybody on here does :rolleyes:

I will always reject mediocrity, even if I love and adore you...that's just how my DNA is set up, that's the frequency that I am on, but your current frequency of understanding is equivalent to that of an adolescent restricted to a diet of an infant and your thought process is so dysfunctional and deformative that you have not yet matured by eating applesauce and crushed pears. The fact that you thought it was cute to label me an 'Uncle Tom' only proves my theory and for that I no longer wish to engage with you.

And as a black gay male that is his own avatar...that's 'Aunt Tom' to you.

Bye!

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dominique Laveau said:

It's clear that you and I have a difference of opinion, but now Im being called out for criticizing her artistic choices....are you new? That's all anybody on here does :rolleyes:

I will always reject mediocrity, even if I love and adore you...that's just how my DNA is set up, that's the frequency that I am on, but your current frequency of understanding is equivalent to that of an adolescent restricted to a diet of an infant and your thought process is so dysfunctional and deformative that you have not yet matured by eating applesauce and crushed pears. The fact that you thought it was cute to label me an 'Uncle Tom' only proves my theory and for that I no longer wish to engage with you.

Bye!

Damito Jo isn't a bad album, you just hold Janet to a higher standard because of who she is. Beyonce Dangerously In Love, Madonna American Life, Ashanti Chapter 2, Mya Moodring, Britney In The Zone, Alicia Keys or whoever else releases music in the 6 months before wasn't exactly ground breaking. Let's not act like the early 2000's was some sort of Golden Era in music 🙄 Things didn't even really pop off until Usher, Mariah, Fergie, Nelly Furtado, Missy's Cookbook, and B'Day

Voodoo and Game.. Great music was NOT gonna survive someone actively tryna shun her career. What in the hell??? Yall really think "undeniable music" would have beat the odds that were stacked up against her???? Damn near EVERY person and property of the industry turned on her. If you dont have the "machine" of promotional avenues on your side...how tf can you be heard? how tf can you be seen? Do u know how much great material is never heard bc the machine is not behind them? Yes, i agree DJ was weak (compared to her previous projects) but a great album was not gonna exactly PART THE SEA nor WALK ON WATER not in the position she was in at that time. Yall sound crazy as hell. You need support to sell records, P.E.R.I.O.D. Im not trying to excuse Janet for being lazy but i for damn sure not gonna sit up here and act like she could have trumped a blackball situation with great material,alone. 

And tbh not for nothing. I think janet hit a creative block. Its so much shit she had covered and discussed in her previous superb albums ..its like what else can i talk about that i havent already said. I think she wanted to be a lil more "free" with DJ and have "fun" instead of making a commercial album. Its shows. How can you not see that? Janet needed to be inspired by something again...and her only fault is she shouldnt have been releasing shit if she didnt have something to truly say but we dont know....the business side was probably lighting fire under janets ass to release another album..and she simply wasnt ready...and you get a result like Damita Jo. We have to consider ALL things and possibilities and not be so quick to come to a conclusion w/o knowing all matters that were taking place behinds closed doors.

And you mentioning all these other bitches like J.lo and Ciara... and what they were doin and Janet should have been tryna step on their necks and blah blah blah.  Janet aint never cared about the next bitch..aint never been pressed about the next bitch. Aint never feared the next bitch and what theyre doin and i actually love that about her. Other bitches dont make her lose any sleep cus she knows what SHE brings and what SHE is. So all of them other hoes were irrelevant to bring up. She doesnt use what other hoes are doin to drive her creative wheel. She aint the typical industry bitch. And Voodoo thats actually surprising coming from someone like you who seems like you come from that same vein of someone who is big on INDIVIDUALITY and not worried bout what the masses say or what theyre doin cus you are YOU and you do YOU at all times. Like wtf? The contradiction in your existence verses your thoughts are baffling.

• Upvote 1

President of Misinformation

Vice President of Reaching

Secretary of Overestimations and Statistics

Minister of Fabrications

Chief of Staff and Inaccuracies

Baron of Epic Boredom and Self Indulgence

All gathered notables...

Have several seats!!!

Damita Jo would have NOT been the years best album and the Superbowl had nothing to do with the music being lazy and pitiful. Deal! Seethe! And move the fuck along.:rolleyes: 

Furthermore, my contradictions will always parallel the truth.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dominique Laveau said:

Bye!

Everything here. 

5 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

If you dont have the "machine" of promotional avenues on your side...how tf can you be heard? how tf can you be seen? Do u know how much great material is never heard bc the machine is not behind them?

Yes, i agree DJ was weak (compared to her previous projects)

Janet was everywhere in 2004.. From late night to SNL to Will & Grace to every magazine that would have her pose half naked to Europe... Oprah... 2004 was her biggest promo year ever so you are wrong. While radio & CBS blacklist her, she was still on BET, ABC, NBC

Yes.. you agreed that Damita Jo was weak af compared to 1986-2001 so why the five paragraph essay?

We’re not talking about sales

3 hours ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Janet was everywhere in 2004.. From late night to SNL to Will & Grace to every magazine that would have her pose half naked to Europe... Oprah... 2004 was her biggest promo year ever so you are wrong. While radio & CBS blacklist her, she was still on BET, ABC, NBC

Yes.. you agreed that Damita Jo was weak af compared to 1986-2001 so why the five paragraph essay?

We’re not talking about sales

Yes, she had interviews and stuff, but non-fans are not going to buy your album or singles unless they hear it on the radio frequently 

46 minutes ago, Jakob said:

Yes, she had interviews and stuff, but non-fans are not going to buy your album or singles unless they hear it on the radio frequently 

Isn’t promo (interviews, magazines, SNL) suppose to promote her album? While radio was a large entity to get music out, So was television which Janet was all over  

47 minutes ago, Jakob said:

Please tell me you're kidding. They sabotaged everything after February 2004.

Y’all talking but ain’t giving sources. How did they affect her writing/producing, single choices, etc

7 hours ago, Dominique Laveau said:

President of Misinformation

Vice President of Reaching

Secretary of Overestimations and Statistics

Minister of Fabrications

Chief of Staff and Inaccuracies

Baron of Epic Boredom and Self Indulgence

All gathered notables...

Have several seats!!!

Damita Jo would have NOT been the years best album and the Superbowl had nothing to do with the music being lazy and pitiful. Deal! Seethe! And move the fuck along.:rolleyes: 

Furthermore, my contradictions will always parallel the truth.

bish you insane :lmao:

39 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Isn’t promo (interviews, magazines, SNL) suppose to promote her album? While radio was a large entity to get music out, So was television which Janet was all over  

Y’all talking but ain’t giving sources. How did they affect her writing/producing, single choices, etc

It helps but radio and tv is like 95% of promotion. If they don't play the music, you're not getting a #1 song. 

Huffington Post published an article last year on how Les Moonves instructed Viacom to ban ALL Janet's music, including the new singles. Like I told you before, the singles were projected to become hits. Then Moonves f***ed things up and too much damage was done (tv appearances were not gonna get Janet a top ten hit later that year).

2 hours ago, Jakob said:

It helps but radio and tv is like 95% of promotion. If they don't play the music, you're not getting a #1 song. 

Huffington Post published an article last year on how Les Moonves instructed Viacom to ban ALL Janet's music, including the new singles. Like I told you before, the singles were projected to become hits. Then Moonves f***ed things up and too much damage was done (tv appearances were not gonna get Janet a top ten hit later that year).

Okay.. we got that it was banned from all radio (Viacom owns most radio stations) but Janet was on television throughout the entire era

None of what you said proves that Janet’s music, the actual writing/producing, was compromised 

My argument is Janet’s quality of music went down SHARPLY after AFY... You’re argument is about charts and radio.. those two arguments do not correlate 

27 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Out of all the songs, you pick the worst* one

Nope. Most of the other songs seem like it would do OK on Urban A/C, but Sexhibition is the only song the seems to have a great tempo, strong(ish) vocals, and catchy chorus.