Do you believe Damita Jo album wouldve been the year's best selling album

jinthahouse

2 hours ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Okay.. we got that it was banned from all radio (Viacom owns most radio stations) but Janet was on television throughout the entire era

None of what you said proves that Janet’s music, the actual writing/producing, was compromised 

My argument is Janet’s quality of music went down SHARPLY after AFY... You’re argument is about charts and radio.. those two arguments do not correlate 

Again, tv appearances don't make big numbers of people buying your album and singles. Your music videos need to be on TV, the singles need to be on the radio. Regular people hear the music there on a daily basis, they like it, they buy it. Thats how it works.

Now, think about how JALW was projected to be a big success. If that single (despite of your personal opinions) and the next singles weren't blacklisted it were gonna be top ten hits for sure. The music was still good. The music fits perfect in 2004. 

40 minutes ago, Jakob said:

Again, tv appearances don't make big numbers of people buying your album and singles. Your music videos need to be on TV, the singles need to be on the radio. Regular people hear the music there on a daily basis, they like it, they buy it. Thats how it works.

Now, think about how JALW was projected to be a big success. If that single (despite of your personal opinions) and the next singles weren't blacklisted it were gonna be top ten hits for sure. The music was still good. The music fits perfect in 2004. 

But it helped? :umm: Like idk... performing on NBC’s biggest show? Being the #1 Google search? :umm: Being everywhere BUT CBS & radio before streaming service and the cable decline took over. 

There’s that fantasy word: “projected” :yawn: It peaked so high on Billboard it’s not even worth talking about... I’m not here for fantasies. Reality is JALW was trash and so were the single choices. 

Yet Again, you didn’t explain how Janet’s creativity was sabotaged (ie writing and production). How the quality of her music declined SHARPLY in 2004-08. I’m waiting on you to place the blame on her... but you refuse to.. as she kept on with the sexual lyrics with ZERO SUBSTANCE  

10 hours ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

But it helped? :umm: Like idk... performing on NBC’s biggest show? Being the #1 Google search? :umm: Being everywhere BUT CBS & radio before streaming service and the cable decline took over. 

There’s that fantasy word: “projected” :yawn: It peaked so high on Billboard it’s not even worth talking about... I’m not here for fantasies. Reality is JALW was trash and so were the single choices. 

Yet Again, you didn’t explain how Janet’s creativity was sabotaged (ie writing and production). How the quality of her music declined SHARPLY in 2004-08. I’m waiting on you to place the blame on her... but you refuse to.. as she kept on with the sexual lyrics with ZERO SUBSTANCE  

A tv performance is not gonna make the masses buy your album or single. Your single needs to be on the radio everywhere, just like during the All For You era. 

Btw, didn't people say here that JALW actually WAS on the radio everywhere until it got removed from the playlists? And that it was even being played more than when the All For You single came out? Yes, JALW is a non-typical Janet song but it was fun and it was perfect for that time (and apparently, radio felt the same way!). 

And you want me to talk about how it was Janets fault... Okay. Let's be real here: Janet had sexual lyrics on the All For You single ("nice package", "ride it tonight"), yet it topped the chart for seven weeks. All For You is filled with sexual songs. Just like Damita Jo is filled with sexual songs. Thats why the single releases were the more innocent songs.💁🏻‍♂️She made sexual songs since '93. So, no I'm not blaming Janet or Jimmy or Terry for what they created.

1 hour ago, Jakob said:

A tv performance is not gonna make the masses buy your album or single. Your single needs to be on the radio everywhere, just like during the All For You era. 

Btw, didn't people say here that JALW actually WAS on the radio everywhere until it got removed from the playlists? And that it was even being played more than when the All For You single came out? Yes, JALW is a non-typical Janet song but it was fun and it was perfect for that time (and apparently, radio felt the same way!). 

And you want me to talk about how it was Janets fault... Okay. Let's be real here: Janet had sexual lyrics on the All For You single ("nice package", "ride it tonight"), yet it topped the chart for seven weeks. All For You is filled with sexual songs. Just like Damita Jo is filled with sexual songs. Thats why the single releases were the more innocent songs.💁🏻‍♂️She made sexual songs since '93. So, no I'm not blaming Janet or Jimmy or Terry for what they created.

“A” tv performance... no.. several and interviews, yes. That’s literally the point of promo tours :umm:  The single should all be great like AFY sans soag

It peaked where with radio? 60-something? I need actual proof that it was being played MORE than AFY... Where’s the data to support this claim (ignoring the fact that the Super Bowl controversy just happened, your opinion is just word of mouth from a few fans. JALW isnt as good or catchy as AFY which makes your claim far fetched)

Cool.. AFY isn’t the issue as it was one of her biggest hit bc it was fun, relatable, and catchy af summer... also one of her all time greatest songs. Comparing her biggest hit this century to Just a Little Trash or anything from 2004-2010 is a joke. 

If you can’t blame Janet for the quality of her work then you aren’t blaming the right person. Damita Jo was weak and pointless... while Janet has been a sex icon, Damita Jo made her a sex fiend and it wasn’t a classic Janet album... and it turned cringeworthy and FAST especially after her planned Super Bowl boobie. Damita Jo has zero retrospect, zero personality.. zero substance. Her music was her diary but her diary turned into a snuff book real quick at 38 years old. It was a janet. album reboot with nothing to show for except a great promo tour. The fact that you won’t condemn Janet’s Damita jo album’s lazy theme speaks volumes. You’re delusional. 

Im not saying you should hate the music. No. I still listen to it religiously to this day... but I’m not going to sit here and pretend Damita Jo is this amazing album that didn’t get the “attention it deserved”. The album got everything it deserved especially a bad critic score 

I want to note that AFY PEAKED at #14 without a commercial release..

AFY broke radio airplay records. The best airplay during week one  by being added by three major formats during week ONE. She held that record until Lady Gaga cheated

I also want to know AFY was the fastest added song on multiple formats and JALW was NOT

JALW was grabbed 80 adds on the pop level and 15 on rhythmic 

Stop comparing one of Janet’s most successful single to Just a Little Trash

1 hour ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

“A” tv performance... no.. several and interviews, yes. That’s literally the point of promo tours :umm:  The single should all be great like AFY sans soag

It peaked where with radio? 60-something? I need actual proof that it was being played MORE than AFY... Where’s the data to support this claim (ignoring the fact that the Super Bowl controversy just happened, your opinion is just word of mouth from a few fans. JALW isnt as good or catchy as AFY which makes your claim far fetched)

Cool.. AFY isn’t the issue as it was one of her biggest hit bc it was fun, relatable, and catchy af summer... also one of her all time greatest songs. Comparing her biggest hit this century to Just a Little Trash or anything from 2004-2010 is a joke. 

If you can’t blame Janet for the quality of her work then you aren’t blaming the right person. Damita Jo was weak and pointless... while Janet has been a sex icon, Damita Jo made her a sex fiend and it wasn’t a classic Janet album... and it turned cringeworthy and FAST especially after her planned Super Bowl boobie. Damita Jo has zero retrospect, zero personality.. zero substance. Her music was her diary but her diary turned into a snuff book real quick at 38 years old. It was a janet. album reboot with nothing to show for except a great promo tour. The fact that you won’t condemn Janet’s Damita jo album’s lazy theme speaks volumes. You’re delusional. 

Im not saying you should hate the music. No. I still listen to it religiously to this day... but I’m not going to sit here and pretend Damita Jo is this amazing album that didn’t get the “attention it deserved”. The album got everything it deserved especially a bad critic score 

First off, I'm comparing JALW to AFY because both had some sexual references and only one song got blacklisted. I'm gonna be clear: I also feel that AFY is better than JALW but the single deserved to be a bigger hit. 

In terms of radio spins: I stated that some people on this site wrote that JALW was all over radio and was being played more than AFY. 

Just take a look at Wikipedia. The JALW-page is full of sources claiming the upcoming success of the single when it leaked in January of 2004 and it was rushed to radio early February. You're not telling me that all these important media were completely wrong about the song. These people know what they talk about.

PLUS, JALW peaked at #3 or so in Canada. It was top 10 in several European countries and #1 in Japan for five weeks! How come the single was such a big success there yet YOU claim it got exactly what it deserved in the US? (Only peaking at #45) 

3 minutes ago, Jakob said:

First off, I'm comparing JALW to AFY because both had some sexual references and only one song got blacklisted. I'm gonna be clear: I also feel that AFY is better than JALW but the single deserved to be a bigger hit. 

In terms of radio spins: I stated that some people on this site wrote that JALW was all over radio and was being played more than AFY. 

Just take a look at Wikipedia. The JALW-page is full of sources claiming the upcoming success of the single when it leaked in January of 2004 and it was rushed to radio early February. You're not telling me that all these important media were completely wrong about the song. These people know what they talk about.

PLUS, JALW peaked at #3 or so in Canada. It was top 10 in several European countries and #1 in Japan for five weeks! How come the single was such a big success there yet YOU claim it got exactly what it deserved in the US? (Only peaking at #45) 

You cannot compare a legendary song to some trash. That’s like comparing “WBT” (tho not first single) to “GTFO” (Mariah Carey). The sexuality wasn’t an issue in 2001. It was post-2001

Some people = hearsay... I need to see the stats which have failed to do so I did it for you. JALW wasnt headed towards anything in the US

We not talking world wide. We talking USA... obviously. 

19 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

You cannot compare a legendary song to some trash. That’s like comparing “WBT” (tho not first single) to “GTFO” (Mariah Carey). The sexuality wasn’t an issue in 2001. It was post-2001

Some people = hearsay... I need to see the stats which have failed to do so I did it for you. JALW wasnt headed towards anything in the US

We not talking world wide. We talking USA... obviously. 

As you use the word "trash" a lot, I'm asking you: what is trash? Because to me, a trashy song is a terribly bad song i can't even listen to. JALW is totally different than anything Janet had ever done before and maybe that's why you don't like it (I could totally understand that), but calling it "trash" is far fetched.

How come the song did surprisingly well outside the US? If it such a trashy song, how come that most critics were positive? 

6 minutes ago, Jakob said:

As you use the word "trash" a lot, I'm asking you: what is trash? Because to me, a trashy song is a terribly bad song i can't even listen to. JALW is totally different than anything Janet had ever done before and maybe that's why you don't like it (I could totally understand that), but calling it "trash" is far fetched.

How come the song did surprisingly well outside the US? If it such a trashy song, how come that most critics were positive? 

Anything that is subpar in comparison to 1986-2001 = trash 

“Totally different” =/= “good” especially when it comes to Janet Jackson. and JALW wasn’t that different. Just lazy writing by Janet 

Bc it was blacklisted in the States :umm: 

3 hours ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Anything that is subpar in comparison to 1986-2001 = trash 

“Totally different” =/= “good” especially when it comes to Janet Jackson. and JALW wasn’t that different. Just lazy writing by Janet 

Bc it was blacklisted in the States :umm: 

Please stop acting like it's a fact that it's trash: it's just your opinion. I know a lot of Janet fans that love JALW and the Damita Jo album. Even compared to the 1986-2001 music, it's no trash in my opinion. 

"Lazy writing" is irrelevant: most critics were positive and it was a catchy pop/rock song. Radio listeners don't care about lyrics; they want a catchy song. I understand though that FANS expect songs with deeper meaning from Janet.

1 hour ago, Jakob said:

Please stop acting like it's a fact that it's trash: it's just your opinion. I know a lot of Janet fans that love JALW and the Damita Jo album. Even compared to the 1986-2001 music, it's no trash in my opinion. 

"Lazy writing" is irrelevant: most critics were positive and it was a catchy pop/rock song. Radio listeners don't care about lyrics; they want a catchy song. I understand though that FANS expect songs with deeper meaning from Janet.

If 86-01 is the golden years, Damita Jo is silver.. 20 is Bronze and a Discipline is equivalent to 82-84 and didn’t place 

I love Damita Jo btw. I’m just not going to pretend it didn’t get what it deserved or that it’s Janet’s gold standard... bc it’s not. The singles were trash (chosen poorly) and the music was lackluster

I wouldn't say it would have been the best selling album that year, but the incident that shall not be named put a halt to any kind of success she was seeing.

I remember hearing JALW on the radio and then the dark cloud rained on anything DJ..

You have to give credit to Janet for still promoting the album, but it was too late. Rnb Junkie was the hit that got away.  Slolove could have been big internationally.

Oh well.

RHCzB0o.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

If 86-01 is the golden years, Damita Jo is silver.. 20 is Bronze and a Discipline is equivalent to 82-84 and didn’t place 

I love Damita Jo btw. I’m just not going to pretend it didn’t get what it deserved or that it’s Janet’s gold standard... bc it’s not. The singles were trash (chosen poorly) and the music was lackluster

But the fact is that Damita Jo didn’t get the treatment it deserved. 

Had Janet not been blacklisted, toured, and outsold A4Y... you’d be singing a diff tune 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, janet.1814 said:

Had Janet not been blacklisted, toured, and outsold A4Y... you’d be singing a diff tune 

she would have gotten more hit singles under her belt point blank period.....album was all over the place though :umm:

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, hotboy06 said:

I wouldn't say it would have been the best selling album that year, but the incident that shall not be named put a halt to any kind of success she was seeing.

I remember hearing JALW on the radio and then the dark cloud rained on anything DJ..

You have to give credit to Janet for still promoting the album, but it was too late. Rnb Junkie was the hit that got away.  Slolove could have been big internationally.

Oh well.

RHCzB0o.gif

I remember hearing ANDS and soon after THAT the plug was pulled

24 minutes ago, janet.1814 said:

It got what it deserved 

Nah.. probably no tour since MJ decided to nap with little boys and get caught... Janet would have canceled the tour to go to his trial

2 hours ago, janet.1814 said:

I just gave DJ (including the bonus and unreleased tracks) a listen, it’s better than janet. 

janet. was even more all over the place than DJ, and both had the same theme.... love 

DJ actually sounds like an evolved janet. 

giphy.gif

some of ya’ll and your tragically poor tastes. Janet. has its issues but it’s thematically more about love, it’s also about her maturity into womanhood and exploring her sexuality for the first in full. Even Jimmy himself says “Damita Jo “was about virtually nothing and Janet had absolutely nothing to say when she started recording even asking Terry to write the songs this time. His lips, not mine! 😳👍👀🤦🏾‍♂️

• Like 2

^^^ all truth, I hated Janet being on a contract to push albums out that she didnt want to make or have anything to say when thematically that was her "niche" her albums came with a theme a purpose  a statement from Control and independence, to the messed up world in RN, to feminine exploration and sexual liberation in Janet.  the albums came with something to say

• Like 1

Ya'll trashing Janet and other credible artists when the #1 song in 2007 was Girl Shake That Laffy Taffy 🙄 Let's not act like art and good writing was a priority in the wake of the digital generation. A lot of songs that have been hits since then have been out right corny, and are not deep in content at all. Pretty basic in comparison to anything on Damita Jo, 20YO, and Discipline actually. By 2010 Beyonce and Usher were dumming down their music to fit in with the young kids. "Surf board" and "Everybody wanna be like me" is what this generation likes so it doesn't matter how much Shakespeare Janet or anyone else adds to their music. Ratchet is in, poetry is out. The only "artists" getting credit are white singers mimicking black sounds.

Yes what Janet put out in 2004-2008 was lackluster (For Janet standards). But in terms of what was put out in the overall music industry they slay. I remember Kelis put out a great album, of course it didn't chart but it was still a good album compared to hits on the radio.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Im not reading all that, corny hit songs isnt new now and wasn't then nor before, 'Baby Got Back" ring a bell? :umm:

All that's really being said here is the standard and the bar Janet set for herself as evidenced by her previous work was far greater and higher than DJ delivered :filenails:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, EphraimAdamz said:

Ya'll trashing Janet and other credible artists when the #1 song in 2007 was Girl Shake That Laffy Taffy 🙄 Let's not act like art and good writing was a priority in the wake of the digital generation. A lot of songs that have been hits since then have been out right corny, and are not deep in content at all. Pretty basic in comparison to anything on Damita Jo, 20YO, and Discipline actually. By 2010 Beyonce and Usher were dumming down their music to fit in with the young kids. "Surf board" and "Everybody wanna be like me" is what this generation likes so it doesn't matter how much Shakespeare Janet or anyone else adds to their music. Ratchet is in, poetry is out. The only "artists" getting credit are white singers mimicking black sounds.

Yes what Janet put out in 2004-2008 was lackluster (For Janet standards). But in terms of what was put out in the overall music industry they slay. I remember Kelis put out a great album, of course it didn't chart but it was still a good album compared to hits on the radio.

Thank you! And ain't nobody worried about what Jimmy said about Damita Jo. He was just hating cause Janet was exploring and working with other producers instead of just only he and Terry. Oh 🐳. Also like you said an album doesn't have to be "about" something to sound good or have hits. Janet ain't gotta be writing a book every time she records an album. Miss me with that shit and just give me some good bops. She's done enough good writing to last us the rest of our lives

• Upvote 1