Do you believe Damita Jo album wouldve been the year's best selling album

jinthahouse

7 hours ago, Lutfa said:

I'm glad the admin did the right thing. Game had been banned from every other damn forum ages back for destroying any proper conversation and bashing differing opinions, resulting in a bullying and hate. This forum is nowhere near as bad as some others, especially the one Janet's team lurks. I've left all forums but this. It was enough for me to be called an idiot and straight up bashed for making a petition to reissue Janet's albums on vinyl, which was long overdue. 99% of the feedback I received was negative and I got ridiculed. Now those same people are ordering every single reissued album and spending their money on something I started. I didn't have Jimmy, Cinq nor anyone else behind me for that matter. Quite the opposite. Jimmy never gave a damn about reissuing anything, his email reply made that much clear when I asked him to share my petition. Now he is retweeting every single positive article on how well the reissues have done in the UK. Like whatever.

How did I make it happen? I knew who to direct my petition towards. Not Janet's team, especially not Jimmy and Def not Gil. Knowing Gil, he would've probably bashed the fuck outta me for even trying. I directed it at UMG that owns the rights to her music and who've done her best of releases so far. I knew they'd see an opportunity to cash in, so I went for it. A few blogs and papers mentioned the petition and here we are. I'll never get cred for making it happen, and I'm fine with that. In fact I can't even afford buying one of the vinyls myself. But it did happen and knowing that is enough for me. She made headlines by charting in the UK again due to reissues, and all the hate and "she would never do that/there is no market" bullshit has been proven invalid.

People like Game are toxic to this community. But sadly, her own team is a part of this kind of elitism and supports it. After Made for Now, some PR people of Janet's team contacted selected fans to hear their feedback on what they'd like to see Janet release and do. Selected group of fans. When I found out, I created a thread asking everyone's opinions and mentioned they actually don't even want to hear from all of us, just a few elite fans. That's insane and incredibly disrespectful. And YEAH I will get down voted for speaking the truth, as always. But it's still the truth. 

Yep that's definitely true. And it's pretty funny how a simple e-mail can make big things happen.

A few months ago i contacted UMG as well and told them that RN is turning 30 in september and that a reissue with bonus tracks, demo's and a dvd of the tour would be the perfect moment. I also posted it on Twitter and UMe actually 'liked' the tweet. They basically only like tweets by official accounts of other labels and artists so yeah, let's see what happens next month. 🙏🏻🤣

8 hours ago, Lutfa said:

I'm glad the admin did the right thing. Game had been banned from every other damn forum ages back for destroying any proper conversation and bashing differing opinions, resulting in a bullying and hate. This forum is nowhere near as bad as some others, especially the one Janet's team lurks. I've left all forums but this. It was enough for me to be called an idiot and straight up bashed for making a petition to reissue Janet's albums on vinyl, which was long overdue. 99% of the feedback I received was negative and I got ridiculed. Now those same people are ordering every single reissued album and spending their money on something I started. I didn't have Jimmy, Cinq nor anyone else behind me for that matter. Quite the opposite. Jimmy never gave a damn about reissuing anything, his email reply made that much clear when I asked him to share my petition. Now he is retweeting every single positive article on how well the reissues have done in the UK. Like whatever.

How did I make it happen? I knew who to direct my petition towards. Not Janet's team, especially not Jimmy and Def not Gil. Knowing Gil, he would've probably bashed the fuck outta me for even trying. I directed it at UMG that owns the rights to her music and who've done her best of releases so far. I knew they'd see an opportunity to cash in, so I went for it. A few blogs and papers mentioned the petition and here we are. I'll never get cred for making it happen, and I'm fine with that. In fact I can't even afford buying one of the vinyls myself. But it did happen and knowing that is enough for me. She made headlines by charting in the UK again due to reissues, and all the hate and "she would never do that/there is no market" bullshit has been proven invalid.

People like Game are toxic to this community. But sadly, her own team is a part of this kind of elitism and supports it. After Made for Now, some PR people of Janet's team contacted selected fans to hear their feedback on what they'd like to see Janet release and do. Selected group of fans. When I found out, I created a thread asking everyone's opinions and mentioned they actually don't even want to hear from all of us, just a few elite fans. That's insane and incredibly disrespectful. And YEAH I will get down voted for speaking the truth, as always. But it's still the truth. 

At some point you have to get an oil change or it's gonna fuck up your car. Angie did what she had to. Oh janet.club aka Janet-Xone was one of the most toxic message boards ever. Mikel is trash and he let his mods do whatever they wanted. I got banned for going off on Janet fans for making fun of her weight back in 2006 when she gained weight. They were talking shit including some of the mods. DJ Boo is the one I went off on and he banned me. I contacted Mikel about the situation and all he said was "Well i'm sure he banned you for a good reason". He didn't care that he or anybody else was bashing Janet. As far as Jimmy. Jimmy didn't like the album cause he was selfish and didn't want Janet working with anybody but them. Oh well too bad. Oh and Gil...well we won't even go there.

7 hours ago, bu. said:

So can we all finally agree Damita Jo was a good album without having our opinion come for?

Yup! It was a good album and idgaf what nobody else says. They all trying to ride the train Jimmy started when he said "There were too many cooks in the kitchen". She gave us bops like "Sexhibition", my fave from the album "SloLove", "Just A Little While", and "All Nite" which Jimmy had no hand in producing. I love that Janet reached out and explored different music. She gave us some euro infused tracks for the first time.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bu. said:

So can we all finally agree Damita Jo was a good album without having our opinion come for?

I actually play the album more than AFY. I felt that AFY had stronger commercial appeal on a few tracks but I preferred DJ as an album. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Lutfa said:

Sometimes you’re ahead of your time. I and a few other Janet fans wrote the blacklisting petition back in 2006 (!) about her blackballed by the industry. I decided at 19/20 that I would be okay with putting my name down as the author. I got a lot of support (over 1k signatures which was a lot at the time), some small outlets reporting it, and a ton of hate mail of people not believing that Janet was being blackballed. It took over a decade for her to be vindicated and the fans that wrote it were never acknowledged by her team nor the media. And you know what? I’d do it all over again. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Lutfa said:

Well her team is LATE in general, so no surprise there. Since being indie, she’s probably had too many ‘yes’ people around her.

But thank you for reaching out to UMG.

I had a great epiphany,

That Game would find some empathy,

I guess next time I'll know better. :unsure:

Anywho, Angie is there any way you could ban the use of 'Empress of Pop'...I want to know how much power you actually have....:rolleyes:....and is there anyway you can stop Michael Jackson fans from using the Janet Jackson hashtag, I'm so tired of searching for Janet and having to succumb to Mike's Jerry curl pics as the first thing I see because his fans are embarrassed of his later appearance....

Thanks in advance

On 8/14/2019 at 11:57 PM, Lutfa said:

you are the MVP my friend! You deserve a vinyl!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Even without the Super Bowl, 2004 Damita Jo would’ve been   in the shadows of Beyonces  Dangerously in Love, Alicia Diary of Alicia Keys, and Ushers Confessions.

Janet was 37 years old and competing against 22 year olds in a very ageist industry. All for You had the smash hit All for You to lead the era. Just a Little While by comparison is very weak and wouldn’t have been a smash.  

1 hour ago, Gigi said:

Even without the Super Bowl, 2004 Damita Jo would’ve been   in the shadows of Beyonces  Dangerously in Love, Alicia Diary of Alicia Keys, and Ushers Confessions.

Janet was 37 years old and competing against 22 year olds in a very ageist industry. All for You had the smash hit All for You to lead the era. Just a Little While by comparison is very weak and wouldn’t have been a smash.  

I doubt that! Ageism on the radio wasn’t as bad compared to it now. Not to mention, she was ONLY 37!!! 😐😐😐 They were even saying the Damita Jo was estimated to outsell All For You and Just A Little While would have kept climbing easily because of her reputation alone, not to mention her success was unstoppable until the SB incident. We need to realize that the era would have been highly competitive, but Janet would has still been massively successful for her career at the time.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lenzo88 said:

I doubt that! Ageism on the radio wasn’t as bad compared to it now. Not to mention, she was ONLY 37!!! 😐😐😐 They were even saying the Damita Jo was estimated to outsell All For You and Just A Little While would have kept climbing easily because of her reputation alone, not to mention her success was unstoppable until the SB incident. We need to realize that the era would have been highly competitive, but Janet would has still been massively successful for her career at the time.

Thank you!!! Just 3 years prior Janet had 2 no.1 back to back singles in 2000 and 2001 with Doesn't Really Matter and All For You and she was 33/34 during that time. Not to mention at 34 she had the longest running no.1 song of the whole year. You're also correct about Damita Jo being estimated to outsell AFY cause of all the controversy and everybody wanted Janet. It was all due to Les Moonves blacklisting Janet's music and videos from radio and tv that led to the album flopping

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow what a thread😂😂😂

And I say no because there was Usher. He was going platinum week after week. Then there was Alicia and Kanye and Beyonce was still on her DIL run. And that's just rnb. DJ is a great album, but it didn't stand out enough or have the same level of "JANET" to it as the previous 5 albums to be the best selling album of the year, especially 2004.

8 hours ago, king_c said:

Wow what a thread😂😂😂

And I say no because there was Usher. He was going platinum week after week. Then there was Alicia and Kanye and Beyonce was still on her DIL run. And that's just rnb. DJ is a great album, but it didn't stand out enough or have the same level of "JANET" to it as the previous 5 albums to be the best selling album of the year, especially 2004.

it definitely would've been up there with Usher's. Alicia, Kanye, and Beyonce wasn't finna outsell no Janet before the backlash. Sorry they just weren't.