**Official RN Anniversary Tour Thread**

janetDAYZ

16 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

Number Ones is her most forgettable tour. And Sotw was even more basic than Unbreakable...so whats your point? 

Of course ppl are still going to go see Janet regardless but thats not the argument here. Stay on subject. 

i think its just the times we're in now where production is more important than talent lol. I know that's not what you're saying but this generation is shallow.

Billboard 2006 was the perfect balance in my opinion

On 9/25/2019 at 6:57 AM, janetDAYZ said:

I wouldnt say all that. I mean it def was high energy but you make it sound like it was on the level of her energy during the TVR tour...and thats when Janet was in RARE FORM. 

But if im being honest, we know Janet has the showmanship as a performer but a dash of production/special effects only hightens a performance imo. I feel Janet always thinks juss her and her dancers are good enough but we gotta crank it and take it up sone notches ..we need visuals along w/ dancing imo. It juss has more of a "wow" factor. Juss like how her 2009 AMA performance fell flat , well becus it was juss HER and HER DANCERS up there juss dancing. It was basic. There wasnt much you could sink your teeth into bc there was no element of excitement. No props..no visuals..no special effects..no story. She missed tge mark on that one and thats why thats known as her forgettable award show performance of them all. Production value + showmanship = UNMATCHED BEAST 

I agree more visuals and production CAN make for a better show, but it doesn’t equal a better performance. I absolutely agree with the mention of Billboard proving that. That performance was big but underwhelming if were going to be honest. 

SOTW was Janet’s best show since RWU in my opinion. As far as her performance value. The theme of the show. The set list. Her choreography AND her actually pull all those moves off. Her endurance. It was a much better performance ESP at her age bracket. 

On 9/25/2019 at 7:01 AM, janetDAYZ said:

It was certainly better than her dry 2009 AMA medley performance 

Both were underwhelming so it’s not a better or worse. It just had more ppl. 

On 9/25/2019 at 2:12 PM, Jakob said:

She doesn't need all of that. Number Ones was pretty basic, just like Unbreakable. People showed up because they wanted to see Janet rocking it! 

Number ones wasn’t a good show, and I’m no saying production value is useless I’m saying it’s not all Janet needs to make it a great show. When Janet is in her element she goes in & SOTW was her element - after her break up, she was on a mission & she achieved it. 

1 hour ago, EphraimAdamz said:

Janet slayed but the stage design and over crowded amount of dancers was wack and took away from the performance. I consider all that to be part of production

man please! Janet did the damn thang and the crowd loved it as well as viewers at home. You got a big stage then use as much of it as you can. Why you think Madonnasaur and Beyonce be selling out? Production.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeJoe said:

man please! Janet did the damn thang and the crowd loved it as well as viewers at home. You got a big stage then use as much of it as you can. Why you think Madonnasaur and Beyonce be selling out? Production.

what works for them doesnt work for everyone. it was messy. the superbowl was better organized for janet

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeJoe said:

Production is not only stage design and screens...Janet having a lot of dancers didn’t make it a great performance. She personally DID less. Go watch & see how a good amount of that Billboard performance wasn’t her giving as much energy as SOTW & just a big amount of dancers. 

2006 Billboard was more impactful. 

37 minutes ago, EphraimAdamz said:

what works for them doesnt work for everyone. it was messy. the superbowl was better organized for janet

I agree with the super bowl statement. 

14 hours ago, EphraimAdamz said:

i think its just the times we're in now where production is more important than talent lol. I know that's not what you're saying but this generation is shallow.

Billboard 2006 was the perfect balance in my opinion

I dont think thats the case at all. You say "the times we're in today" .. production has always mattered but how a performer presented their show was always about their taste level. Somebody like Madonna who has limited talent but her production value has always been STELLAR which is why Madonna has always had sold out shows becus pll KNOW the visuals is what she has to offer. Madonna is crafty and artsy like that. I always said Madonna and Janet needs what the other one doesnt have. If Janet showmanship as a performer had the production value of Madonna...JANET WOULD BE IN A LEAGUE THAT NOT A SINGLE ARTIST COULD TOUCH IN A MILLION YEARS. PERIOD

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, FreelovesJJ said:

I agree more visuals and production CAN make for a better show, but it doesn’t equal a better performance. I absolutely agree with the mention of Billboard proving that. That performance was big but underwhelming if were going to be honest. 

SOTW was Janet’s best show since RWU in my opinion. As far as her performance value. The theme of the show. The set list. Her choreography AND her actually pull all those moves off. Her endurance. It was a much better performance ESP at her age bracket. 

Both were underwhelming so it’s not a better or worse. It just had more ppl. 

Number ones wasn’t a good show, and I’m no saying production value is useless I’m saying it’s not all Janet needs to make it a great show. When Janet is in her element she goes in & SOTW was her element - after her break up, she was on a mission & she achieved it. 

Im not saying SOTW wasnt a good show....alot of fans were saying we missed the special effects. Sotw felt stripped down. That was a personal choice Janet made.. And thats fine. Like I said, there is no right or wrong answers...it all comes down to preference and personal taste i guess. Me, I like showmanship and production...while somebody like you may juss be satisfied with the endurance of a performer. 

22 hours ago, Kalfou said:

You are lying to yourself if you think production does not help Janet's performance. Janet is a visionary so I expect her to do visionary type tings....I've never been okay with basic Janet, I accept her but she does leave a bad taste in my mouth AND that's why I don't like Damita Jo. 

#Boom

:rolleyes:

Lets debate hoes!

THANK YOU!!!!

Production can only HELP a performance...it can never hurt

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, janetDAYZ said:

I dont think thats the case at all. You say "the times we're in today" .. production has always mattered but how a performer presented their show was always about their taste level. Somebody like Madonna who has limited talent but her production value has always been STELLAR which is why Madonna has always had sold out shows becus pll KNOW the visuals is what she has to offer. Madonna is crafty and artsy like that. I always said Madonna and Janet needs what the other one doesnt have. If Janet showmanship as a performer had the production value of Madonna...JANET WOULD BE IN A LEAGUE THAT NOT A SINGLE ARTIST COULD TOUCH IN A MILLION YEARS. PERIOD

I'ma just say this right off the jump. SOTW was better than Unbreakable period. Bingo! Madonna knows she better offer top notch production cause she can't compete with anyone otherwise. Janet has never needed the kind of production Madonna has. I can only imagine if Janet would've used Madonna type production when she was younger but hey at least she's doing it now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, janetDAYZ said:

Very well said. And Madonna has the ability to renew herself, whereas Janet just keeps repeating herself and is stuck in the same type of performance she did 30 years ago. Look at them now, both are still touring but which one is innovative and which one hasn't changed the performance since the 90s. I think Janet is underestimating her fans when she says fans want to see the same stuff. Her fans would LOVE for her to do something like what Madonna is doing now. But I guess, like we've talked here before, it's just laziness from her part. She's a Taurus so she just wants to be in her comfort zone. Whereas Madonna is a Leo, always wants to be at the top of her game.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

Im not saying SOTW wasnt a good show....alot of fans were saying we missed the special effects. Sotw felt stripped down. That was a personal choice Janet made.. And thats fine. Like I said, there is no right or wrong answers...it all comes down to preference and personal taste i guess. Me, I like showmanship and production...while somebody like you may juss be satisfied with the endurance of a performer. 

I actually agree with showmanship and production. Wholeheartedly. I feel there’s times where she’s had both or one or the other. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MasiMama84 said:

Very well said. And Madonna has the ability to renew herself, whereas Janet just keeps repeating herself and is stuck in the same type of performance she did 30 years ago. Look at them now, both are still touring but which one is innovative and which one hasn't changed the performance since the 90s. I think Janet is underestimating her fans when she says fans want to see the same stuff. Her fans would LOVE for her to do something like what Madonna is doing now. But I guess, like we've talked here before, it's just laziness from her part. She's a Taurus so she just wants to be in her comfort zone. Whereas Madonna is a Leo, always wants to be at the top of her game.

I would agree with you but Janet's career has not been the same after 2004. She made several efforts to get back on the charts globally but it just never happened. There is no budget for big shows and visuals. Rock Witchu Tour proved that she couldn't break even with a big production show. Then all that stuff with Wissam, having a baby etc.. Her mind isn't exactly at breaking records right now. She's still changing things up on tour, performing songs we never thought she would. Her wardrobe has been very wtf since the new tour started but that's just what it is. Made for Now was a step in the right direction, meaning she finally stopped catering for a handful of old skool fans and went with current sounding music instead. Ask Cinq and their amateur team why it never took off. And yeah her age plays a huge role in this as well. She can't hit those high notes anymore (she said this herself in an interview), and she obviously cannot dance like 20 years ago. 

We can all agree we were left thirsty for huge success and global tour after her career took a fall. But it's time to move on now. It's not gonna happen. Back in 2009 it could've been possible but she left and disappeared and that alone alienated European fan base. Her team has been working overtime to try to remind people of who Janet Jackson is. And they've had success doing so. But how many times are you gonna rely on Control and Rhythm Nation? In 1998 Together Again was the second biggest single in the world. Nowadays casual music listeners don't even remember that track and radio hasn't played it for a decade. And that was her most successful single to date.

It's time to move on from the illusion of her somehow going back in time to 2010 and reclaiming her throne. It just isn't going to happen. I love every single show, and song she puts out. I appreciate and will always cherish each Era. But those times are long gone. Comparing her to Madonna, who still has global appeal and success while on tour is silly. Janet does not have the same appeal anymore. Half of music listeners don't even remember her. Everyone knows who Madonna is and her team has kept her legacy alive and going. Janet's team is only now trying to remind people of who she is. 

IMHO the only thing I'd change is the short edits of AFY and Together Again. Especially, when performing at award shows. One or the other should be performed fully, and that would def have a bigger impact than doing a 30sec recap of both. 

9 hours ago, Lutfa said:

I would agree with you but Janet's career has not been the same after 2004. She made several efforts to get back on the charts globally but it just never happened. There is no budget for big shows and visuals. Rock Witchu Tour proved that she couldn't break even with a big production show. Then all that stuff with Wissam, having a baby etc.. Her mind isn't exactly at breaking records right now. She's still changing things up on tour, performing songs we never thought she would. Her wardrobe has been very wtf since the new tour started but that's just what it is. Made for Now was a step in the right direction, meaning she finally stopped catering for a handful of old skool fans and went with current sounding music instead. Ask Cinq and their amateur team why it never took off. And yeah her age plays a huge role in this as well. She can't hit those high notes anymore (she said this herself in an interview), and she obviously cannot dance like 20 years ago. 

We can all agree we were left thirsty for huge success and global tour after her career took a fall. But it's time to move on now. It's not gonna happen. Back in 2009 it could've been possible but she left and disappeared and that alone alienated European fan base. Her team has been working overtime to try to remind people of who Janet Jackson is. And they've had success doing so. But how many times are you gonna rely on Control and Rhythm Nation? In 1998 Together Again was the second biggest single in the world. Nowadays casual music listeners don't even remember that track and radio hasn't played it for a decade. And that was her most successful single to date.

It's time to move on from the illusion of her somehow going back in time to 2010 and reclaiming her throne. It just isn't going to happen. I love every single show, and song she puts out. I appreciate and will always cherish each Era. But those times are long gone. Comparing her to Madonna, who still has global appeal and success while on tour is silly. Janet does not have the same appeal anymore. Half of music listeners don't even remember her. Everyone knows who Madonna is and her team has kept her legacy alive and going. Janet's team is only now trying to remind people of who she is. 

IMHO the only thing I'd change is the short edits of AFY and Together Again. Especially, when performing at award shows. One or the other should be performed fully, and that would def have a bigger impact than doing a 30sec recap of both. 

I don't dislike Madonna at all, I just dislike that how she is often used to discredit Janet among the fan community. I think Janet definitely should have take more control of her career (especially in the last few years), but people want to pretend that there weren't powerful figures that weren't integral to the status quo. It's also dishonest to say Janet had the options Madonna had back then too. Let's just enjoy Janet being here. 

I think y'all are missing the biggest factor when it comes to Janet and production....our good sis is cheap. Have y'all seen the Unbreakable promo photos?!...chile. There is also a reason why she wears the same black jump suit and sweats, she brought them in bulk at the local Pick N' Save. Even when Janet had the budget, she stilled scaled back her tours...All For You tour pales in comparison to the Velvet Rope tour, ijs

Another thing is that Janet is very old school...she doesn't seem all that interested in technology, sis just started taking social media seriously 2 years ago :unsure: As time progresses and the budget is there and she gets older and thicker...we are going to see alot more pizzazz in her shows because Damita Jo won't be doing all of that moving on stage. There is a recent clip of her performing 'You' at her show and I swear Janet wanted to give up after that first dip and it looks like she is thinking 'What in the fuck am I doing,dis tew much and aunties parched' :lol:...that choreography is alot tho, sick as fuck but I don't think I could do that every night and be 53 years of age...oh no ma'am.

As far as y'all comparing her to Madonna, 'its, it's dance music I'll say that ....kinda similar...but I think...how do I put this'...I think what Janet does on your is more authentic to her as an artist...I'll say that. :unsure:

15 minutes ago, Kalfou said:

I think y'all are missing the biggest factor when it comes to Janet and production....our good sis is cheap. Have y'all seen the Unbreakable promo photos?!...chile. There is also a reason why she wears the same black jump suit and sweats, she brought them in bulk at the local Pick N' Save. Even when Janet had the budget, she stilled scaled back her tours...All For You tour pales in comparison to the Velvet Rope tour, ijs

Another thing is that Janet is very old school...she doesn't seem all that interested in technology, sis just started taking social media seriously 2 years ago :unsure: As time progresses and the budget is there and she gets older and thicker...we are going to see alot more pizzazz in her shows because Damita Jo won't be doing all of that moving on stage. There is a recent clip of her performing 'You' at her show and I swear Janet wanted to give up after that first dip and it looks like she is thinking 'What in the fuck am I doing,dis tew much and aunties parched' :lol:...that choreography is alot tho, sick as fuck but I don't think I could do that every night and be 53 years of age...oh no ma'am.

As far as y'all comparing her to Madonna, 'its, it's dance music I'll say that ....kinda similar...but I think...how do I put this'...I think what Janet does on your is more authentic to her as an artist...I'll say that. :unsure:

Eh, people need to understand that though certain things are important, they are not everything. I don't think it's fair the come critics kill Janet for not having the overly ambitious productions Madonna and Kylie have. Sure they are perhaps great  artistic marvels, but I personally don't care to see those shows. I care more for Janet's ability to pull of very artful and intricate choreography. Of course good wardrobe and production give the performance a good kick, but I don't need to to dominate the performance. At the same time, people don't want to see all that choreography, but rather strong stage presence that embeds itself to strong productions. Of course, if the performer isn't doing that much his/herself, people are gonna have something to say.

As far as set and special effects, I’m okay with the way she’s scaled back. The intro and video interludes for SOTW1 were really well done and didn’t feel lacking. (Don’t get me started on the video interludes for the RWU Tour... oy)

And I liked when she’d occasionally I’ve her music video playing behind her during certain songs. It really worked well during Twenty Fourplay on SOTW1 (I’m sure many casual fans hadn’t seen that video, and she looks she beautiful in it) and during Doesn’t Really Matter on SOTW2. At Panorama we all lost our damn minds when did the dance break completely in sync with herself in the almost 20-year-old video. So good. 

I didn’t feel like I missed the pyro or elaborate set design at those shows.

But when she shows up wearing a flannel and sweatpants for a majority of the show, that’s another story. I get that she wants to be comfy (and somehow can handle all those layers while dancing...I’d be a hot mess, even with the fans), but there’s got be a better way. 

Its weird to me that yall be more worried about costumes than production

"Im fine with scaled back shows but UGHHHH THOSE HIDEOUS COSTUMES" 

What???????????????????? Im sorry. The focal point imo is THE SHOW not no damn costumes. She could perform in a damn banana halloween costume throughout the who show...long as im seeing exciting shit take place...EYE CANDY is what its about imo. Lights, pyro, smoke...etc

But i will say like someone pointed out, janet has to be careful budget wise when it comes to production bc RWU tour showed she over spent and had problems recouping that money bc of how that tour was handled was a big mess..no promo and all kinds of problems. It was like some markets knew janet was coming and some didnt so her shows having major attendance issues. I truly believe thats why that was a short lived tour...she would have been in the red if she would have forged forward..it made no sense to go on with a tour and have this big ass expensive production but not making a profit cus its low attendance. Im still bitter about it cus i felt that was one time where Janet took a gamble and had that go big or go home mentality with the huge production but it didnt pan out for her bc the business side of that tour juss was in shambles. And it was 2 and a half hour show!!!! She really tried to bring it. That tour was destined to fail bc it kicked off having issues. 

22 hours ago, Lutfa said:

So glad we can have real convo here. First, Janet’s career dip - yes was majorly due to her blackball BUT then Janet, even in recent years, got the opportunity to reclaim her brand. Especially when black twitter edified her by doing #JanetJacksonAppreciation - Janet’s issue isn’t that Cinq didn’t make her music heard, they had some “spat” that needs resolving - it’s ALSO that Janet has not leaned into her boldness. Some major life attacks obviously jaded Janet from the business from losing her brother, her marriage, her break up before the marriage, the label fall out...all that shit is not only stressful it’s tiring. 

Lastly tho - Janet could have come back edgy IF she wanted to. She didn’t. She actually refused. Even with Janet being more spiritually grounded now, and always have but especially now, which I appreciate she often doesn’t follow through. She decides against it for whatever reason & is like fuck it...I’ll just perform. When I feel like it. 

12 hours ago, Kalfou said:

Janet being old school is a valid point, but only because Janet is a Taurus and three thing about a Taurus are:

they HATE change

theyre stubborn 

and they’re loyal to A FAULT

Her adding in her deeper cuts from her catalog JUST now, after being begged for years is proof. As well as her keeping team members that could have been shifted around for better results. She has not tried to have style nor push for anything captivating in a while. That’s why SOTW was so pivotal because she was wearing things that made her sexy while still maintaining her class & modesty. AND I’ve seen Janet dance thick & thin...but SOTW she DANCED & physically her health seemed prime enough for her to deliver. 

1 hour ago, janetDAYZ said:

Its weird to me that yall be more worried about costumes than production

"Im fine with scaled back shows but UGHHHH THOSE HIDEOUS COSTUMES" 

What???????????????????? Im sorry. The focal point imo is THE SHOW not no damn costumes. She could perform in a damn banana halloween costume throughout the who show...long as im seeing exciting shit take place...EYE CANDY is what its about imo. Lights, pyro, smoke...etc

But i will say like someone pointed out, janet has to be careful budget wise when it comes to production bc RWU tour showed she over spent and had problems recouping that money bc of how that tour was handled was a big mess..no promo and all kinds of problems. It was like some markets knew janet was coming and some didnt so her shows having major attendance issues. I truly believe thats why that was a short lived tour...she would have been in the red if she would have forged forward..it made no sense to go on with a tour and have this big ass expensive production but not making a profit cus its low attendance. Im still bitter about it cus i felt that was one time where Janet took a gamble and had that go big or go home mentality with the huge production but it didnt pan out for her bc the business side of that tour juss was in shambles. And it was 2 and a half hour show!!!! She really tried to bring it. That tour was destined to fail bc it kicked off having issues. 

Listen,

Production IS costumes, visuals, lighting, sound, set list, band, dancers, special effects - etc. 

So when you say the costumes don’t matter - they do. A costume can become so iconic it becomes a cultural look AND can get you fashion/brand endorsements that allows you to “creative direct” for a line or company. While you might be focused solely on visuals - which IS a major and necessary part it doesn’t compensate for Janet not giving as much energy as she did on SOTW. The show was stripped down as some are claiming, but her delivery wasn’t. She looked VERY good & it showed she was “back”. At the current time, Janet is making random stops without a obvious actionable plan. Even if she doesn’t release music there are major ways to stay active and keep your brand relevant. Making you a desirable asset in the market. 

Look idk what's going on but when I see anybody I expect costume changes. I can get boring watching a PERFORMER do a whole 1 hour plus show with the same tired outfit on. It's tacky and inexcuseable. Production is also needed and not just the basic production. What Janet did with this RN 30th tour anniversary and TVR were the best i've ever seen. I've never seen the RWU tour but I saw clips and that was awesome as well although it flopped. Janet needs to keep that kind of production

Totally agree with it being partially Janet's own doing - she just doesn't care for making a huge comeback and huge budget music videos. But at the same time her team is celebrating a dance no 1 like it was a global smash which makes it weird to me. I had to work my ass off to get those reissues out there, and to convince everyone there IS a huge demand for it. Jimmy told me he doesn't care about reissues and sees no point in doing them, but now he is celebrating the success of the releases. So I'm glad something I did had an impact and it was positive. But I always feel like I have to argue against, not only her core fan base but also her team to get something obvious across. Like a reissue. They're crucial in order to keep the legacy alive and to get those songs played so people don't forget. 

As for her outfits it's really not a huge deal but cmon. You could make a lil bit of an effort. That 90s jeans and shirt look is not gonna happen. I'm just happy she is performing and seems to be enjoying it again. 

Cinq made a mistakes by screwing up the release of Made for Now and it didn't have a global radio premiere for that reason. And got left out from radio play. And their team only wants opinions of certain fans, not all. Which is elitist as fuck. 

I know Janet could easily release another big album but European success is hard for her to achieve at this point. Even with an obvious no 1 song, the promotion would have to be aggressive as hell to break thru. But here's to hoping a new album is coming soon. 

28 minutes ago, Lutfa said:

Totally agree with it being partially Janet's own doing - she just doesn't care for making a huge comeback and huge budget music videos. But at the same time her team is celebrating a dance no 1 like it was a global smash which makes it weird to me. I had to work my ass off to get those reissues out there, and to convince everyone there IS a huge demand for it. Jimmy told me he doesn't care about reissues and sees no point in doing them, but now he is celebrating the success of the releases. So I'm glad something I did had an impact and it was positive. But I always feel like I have to argue against, not only her core fan base but also her team to get something obvious across. Like a reissue. They're crucial in order to keep the legacy alive and to get those songs played so people don't forget. 

As for her outfits it's really not a huge deal but cmon. You could make a lil bit of an effort. That 90s jeans and shirt look is not gonna happen. I'm just happy she is performing and seems to be enjoying it again. 

Cinq made a mistakes by screwing up the release of Made for Now and it didn't have a global radio premiere for that reason. And got left out from radio play. And their team only wants opinions of certain fans, not all. Which is elitist as fuck. 

I know Janet could easily release another big album but European success is hard for her to achieve at this point. Even with an obvious no 1 song, the promotion would have to be aggressive as hell to break thru. But here's to hoping a new album is coming soon. 

Who are you? I agree with everything you said. I had no idea Jimmy said he doesn't care about reissues smh

• Upvote 1