Whitney Vrs Janet Who Has Had A Greater Impact..More Successful Or More Respected

Idrag4mj

First of all, this ----> http://classicwhitney.yuku.com/reply/370029/Who-has-made-the-greater-impact-Mariah-or-Janet#reply-370029 KII @ like half those stats coming from The Bodyguard. Why weren't her other releases setting or breaking as many records? :lmao:

And I'll just pick out the ones that are hilarious:

"Whitney has an incredible 11 No. 1 singles in the US - beaten out only by Mariah Carey (18) and Madonna (12). Diana Ross has 12 No. 1s with the Supremes and a further 6 in her own name."

:lmao: @ that being incredible, yet naming two other acts that have more #1s than her.

:lmao: @ her being in the top, yet has the least amount of cumulative weeks at #1 than her peers.

"With fourteen songs, Whitney holds the record for the most consecutive Top Ten singles on the chart"

Oh, the same record Ms. Janet punched out the game by having EIGHTEEN consecutive top ten singles, where she is only second to The Beatles in that area?

"Whitney was the first solo female artist to have 3 number one singles from one album."

And Ms. Janet punched that shit down by having 4 #1s from one album, and having 3 of them in three separate calendar years.

"Whitney is the only artist to claim three Top Ten hits from all of her studio albums (1980s and 1990s)"

And Janet has a MINIMUM of 5 from three consecutive albums.

"Whitney has the most number-one covers. She`s covered the songs "Saving All My Love For You", "Greatest Love Of All", "All The Man That I Need" and "I Will Always Love You""

:lmao:point%20and%20laugh.gif

"Whitney is the only artist to have charted from 1984 to 2009. Other artists such as Elvis Presley have had longer streaks, but not during this time"

Really? Because the 2000s said -----> 21org9x.jpg

"Whitney won a record of 11 Billboard Music Awards at the 1993 ceremony for "The Bodyguard OST"

But couldn't beat Janet's 14? And she didn't even win Artistic Achievement. :lmao:

"Whitney Houston is amongst the highest paid actresses in the world and is reported to have collected $10 million for her role in "The Preacher`s Wife"

OH PLEASE. :lmao:

"Whitney holds the record for the highest one week-single sales by a female artist as 632.000 copies of "I Will Always Love You" were sold in the final week of December 1992"

And Mariah, Britney Spears, Gaga, Alicia Keys, and Scar Blidge beat that shit.

""I Will Always Love You" spend an amazing 14 weeks at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It remains one of the longest No. 1 singles ever"

And Mariah later collected that wig from her.

"The biggest selling album in the world in the 1990`s is "The Bodyguard OST" and the second biggest selling album ever"

:umm: Back in Black and Dark Side of the Moon?

And no Sphenx, Whitney's catalog is NOT more revered than Janet's.

First female artist to have the #1 selling album of the year (Rhythm Nation 1814, 1990)

First female artist to debut atop the Billboard 200 in the SoundScan era (Janet., 1993)

First female recording artist of color to be nominated for a Producer Of The Year Grammy.

First black artist to be nominated for an Academy Award (Best Original Song category)

First female artist to have five Top 5 singles from one album (Control)

First artist to have five #1 R&B singles from one album (Control)

First artist to place 7 Top 5 singles on the Hot 100 (technically Top 4)

First artist to have a #1 single in the 80s, 90s, and 00s.

First artist to have five or more Top 10 hits from three consecutive albums

First female artist to have five back-to-back #1 albums

First artist to have their first three films consecutively open at #1 at the box office

First female artist to sweep an awards show (Billboard Music Awards 1990)

First black artist to be awarded GLAAD's Vanguard Award

First artist to have a single simultaneously top the Hot 100, R&B, and dance charts.

First artist to have a single debut atop the R&B Airplay Charts

First artist to win Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist and Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist, and Favorite Dance Artist at the American Music Awards

First and only artist to be nominated in pop, rock, rap, R&B, and dance at the Grammys

First female artist to debut in the Top 10 on the Hot 100 (Runaway)

First female artist to debut in the Top 5 on the Hot 100 ("Scream" with Michael)

Janet and Michael are the first (and only) siblings to both have a #1 single on the Hot 100

First artist to produce 4 #1 hits on the Dance chart

First artist to score a number-one hit simultaneously on the Billboard Hot 100 and Mainstream Rock singles charts with "Black Cat”

"All For You" became the first (and only) single in music history to be added to every possible American radio station in its first week. Janet ruled over 4 formats, Top 40, crossover, rhythmic and urban radio, no one has ever ruled over let alone 3 formats.

"All For You" became the first single to be added to every possible station, in the US, Japan, Asia, France and South Africa in its first week.

First artist to be awarded MTV Icon

First person to have their titty influence government policy

Now that she has slain the pure hell out of your favorite artists’ “first” accomplishments, let’s have a look at some of the records she holds:

Janet holds the record for the most consecutive Top 10 hits on the Hot 100 (18)

Janet holds the record for the most consecutive Top 10 hits on the R&B chart (25)

Janet holds the record for the most Top 10 hits on the R&B chart for a female artist(30)

Janet holds the record for the most Billboard Awards (34)

Janet holds the record for the most Billboard Awards won in a single night (14)

Janet holds the record for the most successful debut tour of any artist male or female, selling out on 4 continents

Janet is BMG's Biggest Selling Female Artist in the club.

Janet holds the record for most gold singles for a black female artist

Janet holds the record for the most Soul Train Award won (12)

Janet holds the record for the most American Music Awards nominations in a single year (9), earning an additional three nominations the following year (1987 & 1988 respectively)

Janet holds the record for the fastest sellout in the history of the Tokyo Dome, 48,000 seats with four shows sold out in a record seven minutes.

Janet broke and set stadium attendance records at the Aloha Stadium in Hawaii with The Velvet Rope Tour and the All For You Tour

The live HBO broadcast of The Velvet Rope Tour garnered a total of 15 million viewers outperforming ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX in HBO homes, in addition to 13 Emmy nominations including one win.

In 1996, Janet signed with Virgin Records for a reported $80 million, making her the highest paid entertainer (at that time) surpassing brother Michael and bitter bitch Madonna.

Janet’s Velvet Rope Tour broke house records in Washington, D.C., Detroit, Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Salt Lake City.

Janet is one of the world’s best-selling artist having sold in the excess of 100 million albums

Janet ranks as the second most successful female artist of all time behind Madonna

In 2008, Janet ranked as the 7th most successful artist of Billboard’s Hot 100 All-Time Artists, 3rd female, 2nd African-American, and 1st African-American female.

In 2007, Janet was named by Forbes Magazine and E! Entertainment Television as one of the 20 Richest Women in Entertainment, coming in at #7.

Since her debut in 1982, Janet has spent a total of 660 weeks on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart and 540 weeks on Billboard's 200 Albums chart.

In 2004, Billboard ranked Janet as the ninth most successful recording artist in the history of Rock & Roll.

To this day, Janet remains the only artist in Billboard history to hit no.1 on the Dance, Pop, Rock, Rap, R&B, Adult Contemporary and Top 40 charts.

In 2003, Janet's "Design of a Decade 1986/1996", "Rhythm Nation 1814", "Control", "janet." and "The Velvet Rope" were listed on the BMG Music Club's 100 Biggest Selling Albums in the U.S. coming in at no.9, no.35, no.58, no.63 and no.95, respectively. "Design of a Decade" and "Rhythm Nation 1814" are two of the club's 1 million sellers.

In 2003, Jackson's "The Velvet Rope" and "Rhythm Nation 1814" were named by Rolling Stone Magazine as two of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, coming in at no.256 and no.275, respectively.

In 1986, at the age of 20, Jackson became the youngest black female to hit no.1 on Billboard's 200 Albums Chart.

With six no.1 albums on the Billboard 200, Janet sits with a third place tie with Mariah Carey among female artists with the most no.1 albums on that chart.

Janet's "Scream", with brother Michael, is featured in the Guinness Book of Records as the Most Expensive Music Video Ever Made. The video cost more than $7 million dollars.

Janet's "Rhythm Nation" and "Love Will Never Do (Without You)" were named by TV Guide and MTV as two of the 100 Greatest Videos Ever Made coming in at no.44 and no.88, respectively.*

Janet's "Nasty" was named by Rolling Stone magazine as the no.79 Greatest Song in Rock & Roll history.

Janet's "Feedback" marks her 18th no.1 hit on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Play chart. The most no.1's of any black female and second behind Madonna.

Janet's "That's The Way Love Goes" is the biggest-selling single of all time by a female recording artist in South Africa. It also holds the record for most weeks spent at no.1 (9 weeks) and most weeks spent on the South African Sales chart (44 weeks).

With the release of only three albums in the 1990s, Janet was named by Billboard as the second biggest artist of the decade, surpassing such artists as Whitney Houston, Garth Brooks, En Vogue, Madonna, Michael Jackson, and Boyz II Men and only second to Mariah Carey.

Janet's "Rhythm Nation 1814" became the first and only album in Billboard history to score no.1 singles on the Hot 100 Singles Chart in the three different calendar years (1989-1991).

With sixteen no.1 hits on the Billboard Hot R&B Singles chart, Jackson is second only to Aretha Franklin among female artists with the most no.1 singles on that chart.

Janet's "Together Again" is her longest-charting single spending 46 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100.

Janet's biggest selling single worldwide is "Together Again", in 1998 it was the 4th biggest selling single of the year in Europe (2nd biggest for a female, only outsold by Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On"). Worldwide sales according to Virgin Records are over 5.5 million copies, one of the largest selling singles ever from a female artist. "Together Again" spent nearly 50 weeks in the Top 50 of the Billboard Hot 100, it also remains one of the longest charting hits in Billboard history. "Together Again" sold over 760,000 in the UK making it one of the biggest selling singles ever in the UK from a female artist, "Together Again" sold over 600,000 copies in Germany also earned a Platinum certification just 2 months after it was released. "Together Again", also went Platinum in the Netherlands, France, Belgian, South Africa, Italy, and even went Double Platinum in New Zealand and Australia.

In 2004 following Superbowl, Janet set a number of records:

Janet entered the Guinness Book of Records as the most-search person in the history of the internet, and the most-searched news item in history.

TiVo, said it was also one of the most watched moments in US TV history

Lycos said the brief flash of flesh had become the most searched for event in its history; On Monday, Janet Jackson and the half-time show received 60 times as many searches as the Paris Hilton sex tape and 80 times as many searches as Britney Spears

People using Google searched for "Janet Jackson" almost 10 times more the day after the game than they did on Sunday, said the company.

By the Wednesday following the incident, Jackson broke records on Yahoo, accounting for nearly 20% of all terms searched on the site.

3 KIIs:

1. This isn't even all of her accomplishments.

2. Notice how Janet's accomplishments extend beyond sales and chart stats?

3. Janet's impact is STILL greater than Whitney's.

"But when you talk about the blue print that most of todays starts use...from Videos to live performances...its Janet all they way."

On who's watch? Honey you must have NEVER heard of her brother: MICHAEL JACKSON."

Ask them to show you a video of Michael doing anything remotely close to the videos of the janet. era.

"I have heard more artists who dances praise Whitney than Janet."

Ask them to show you receipts of 5 different artists praising Whitney for something other than her voice.

And no Sphenx, Whitney's catalog is NOT more revered than Janet's.

Even though she didn't write shit ppl hardly ever go after her catalogue whilst for Janet's they always try to dismiss hers. At least in this part of the World ppl never even dare to say ish about Nippy's catalogue. It's the same ish ppl do when they put Mariah's catalogue vs Whitney's.

Whitney's fanbase is starting to look as dumb as Mary J Blige's with this "huge impact" nonsense.

Even though she didn't write shit ppl hardly ever go after her catalogue whilst for Janet's they always try to dismiss hers. At least in this part of the World ppl never even dare to say ish about Nippy's catalogue. It's the same ish ppl do when they put Mariah's catalogue vs Whitney's.

Whitney's fanbase is starting to look as dumb as Mary J Blige's with this "huge impact" nonsense.

Her debut is the only album critics use. The follow up was dismissed as being a pop version of the debut. "I'm Your Baby Tonight" was an attempt to make Whitney seem "Black". TBG was just a huge album with no impact or influence. And My Love Is Your Love is only great in the eyes of her stans.

Whereas Janet's landmark four - Control thru TVR - have consistently been acclaimed by the major publications.

• Upvote 1

Her debut is the only album critics use. The follow up was dismissed as being a pop version of the debut. "I'm Your Baby Tonight" was an attempt to make Whitney seem "Black". TBG was just a huge album with no impact or influence. And My Love Is Your Love is only great in the eyes of her stans.

Whereas Janet's landmark four - Control thru TVR - have consistently been acclaimed by the major publications.

But still, ppl hardly ever give her grief for having a "dull" catalogue. I guess that that has to with her audience, She appeals to ppl who want to hear the same old same old from the same artist while for Janet is the contrary.

But still, ppl hardly ever give her grief for having a "dull" catalogue. I guess that that has to with her audience, She appeals to ppl who want to hear the same old same old from the same artist while for Janet is the contrary.

That's because she isn't a factor in the equation when it comes to great discographies. :lol:

latest

You need to be schooled and you will be. The professors of Whitney University at CW have called class in session.

I'm unable to fully respond now but know that you will get a respond.

I guess you neglected to see that I followed up @Nickray's post which I agree with you she wasn't dropped from Virgin.

HOWEVER,

she absolutely asked to be released from Island Def Jam and they who were also not pleased with the anemic results from her cd obliged her.Let's not get it twisted, for all intents and puporses she was DROPPED!

Let go - released, same thing as dropped to me because she was under contract. The label didn't have to release her. Much like Ciara asking to be dropped from Jive after 'Basic Instinct' tanked on the heels of her previous cd tanking.

If a label sees that you are making them money or believes that you still can make them money even if you have a flop, they will NOT release you and keep you. They didn't so you can try to dress this up all you want but a pig in lipstick is still a pig!

The UNDISPUTABLE fact is that Janet doesn't have a contract/label and Whitney does- same label for nearly 30yrs. WWW.ENDOFF.ORG!!!!

Whitney has NEVER followed Janet! Just because she wore a headmic is that what you are using as proof! Lawd have mercy! The answer for her using a head set is simple, it makes it easier to dance and sing at the same time rather than holding a mic in your hand.

Which tour are you speaking of that you claim was Janet's alst tour that grossed over $34mil with 10 dates? I'd like to see those receipts because Janet's last tour before #1s was indeed cancelled with tons of problems. She never set foot in Japan which had dates. Whitney's NBL tour grossed closer to $40mil with no US dates based on 47dates.

Whitney's 'MLIYL' tour was the largest European Arena tour and had to be extended. Their were both US and International dates.

Whitney, I believe has done more touring dates. Her set up is very cheap so her net profit will on a cost per show basis be higher than Janet's.

Janet did not invent New Jack Swing. Bobby Brown and Teddy Riley was also doing that. On 'IYBT' there are many more ballads on that cd and on her uptempos- her vocals were still very much front and center.

Let me see you try to dispel 80%s of what is noted here. I see you sidestepped my partial deposits! I don't want to make this personal so let's not go there with the 'sell out' etc. At the end of the day, 'IYBT' has a 4xp cert and worldwide sales of 12mil.

WWW.ROGERTHAT.COM!!

The funny thing Justin is that CW has never displayed any hate or animosity towards janet. Even in this thread, there are multiple people including myself saying that we love Janet.

This thread was originally about mariah/Janet but IdragforMJ made a post that put Janet against Whitney and made some claims that just needed to be refuted!

Yes, janet's 'image' is better but like your said the overall impact of their 'work' and the success garnered from that which also translates into respect for their 'work' goes to Whitney, no doubt about it.

With fewer movies/albums, singles released, she's made an indelible mark in the entertainment world both domestically and internationally that Jaent's career quite frankly pales next to. No disrespect to Janet who has also had an amazing career but it is what it is.

You need to be schooled and you will be. The professors of Whitney University at CW have called class in session.

There's a Whitney University? receipts.gif

I guess you neglected to see that I followed up @Nickray's post which I agree with you she wasn't dropped from Virgin.

HOWEVER, she absolutely asked to be released from Island Def Jam and they who were also not pleased with the anemic results from her cd obliged her.Let's not get it twisted, for all intents and puporses she was DROPPED!

receipts.gif

Let go - released, same thing as dropped to me because she was under contract. The label didn't have to release her. Much like Ciara asking to be dropped from Jive after 'Basic Instinct' tanked on the heels of her previous cd tanking.

And still no receipts.

If a label sees that you are making them money or believes that you still can make them money even if you have a flop, they will NOT release you and keep you. They didn't so you can try to dress this up all you want but a pig in lipstick is still a pig!

Obviously these people don't what type of person LA Reid is.

The UNDISPUTABLE fact is that Janet doesn't have a contract/label and Whitney does- same label for nearly 30yrs. WWW.ENDOFF.ORG!!!!

Janet is already signed. So that failed. Who the hell they think put out "Number Ones"? :lmao:

Whitney has NEVER followed Janet! Just because she wore a headmic is that what you are using as proof! Lawd have mercy! The answer for her using a head set is simple, it makes it easier to dance and sing at the same time rather than holding a mic in your hand.

Oh the contradiction! :lmao:

Which tour are you speaking of that you claim was Janet's alst tour that grossed over $34mil with 10 dates? I'd like to see those receipts because Janet's last tour before #1s was indeed cancelled with tons of problems. She never set foot in Japan which had dates. Whitney's NBL tour grossed closer to $40mil with no US dates based on 47dates.

Again, KII @ Janet's last tour grossing a third of that with 13 reported dates.

Whitney, I believe has done more touring dates. Her set up is very cheap so her net profit will on a cost per show basis be higher than Janet's.

Ummm, not really. Whitney hasn't written any of her hits. So when she tours, she has to pay all her songwriters and the publisher.

Janet did not invent New Jack Swing. Bobby Brown and Teddy Riley was also doing that. On 'IYBT' there are many more ballads on that cd and on her uptempos- her vocals were still very much front and center.

That was Janet. Jimmy and Terry implemented techniques into Control which Teddy Riley used for his artists in 1987. Janet and T&T also blending a pop sound with NJS, which Whitney later used on IYBT.

Let me see you try to dispel 80%s of what is noted here. I see you sidestepped my partial deposits! I don't want to make this personal so let's not go there with the 'sell out' etc. At the end of the day, 'IYBT' has a 4xp cert and worldwide sales of 12mil.

WWW.ROGERTHAT.COM!!

And Whitney was labeled a sellout. :lmao: Why she got booed at the Soul Train Awards? Why did she do New Jack Swing, a genre dominated by Black artists at the time, subsequently? And at the end of the day she was STILL trying to get in good with the Black audience. :lmao:

Well , that works too :lol: And she's not a jackson nor did she ever had to deal with something as large as SB so i can see why she got a pass even with Just Whitney

The Superbowl alone had more impact than anything Whitney has done. Whitney has never gotten that level of press, good or bad, at any point in her career. And Whitney's catalog is just like Celine's. There's some good songs here and there, but overall it's pretty useless.

First female artist to have the #1 selling album of the year (Rhythm Nation 1814, 1990) LIES!! WHITNEY BY WHITNEY HOUSTON WAS THE #1 SELLING ALBUM OF 1987

First black artist to be nominated for an Academy Award (Best Original Song category) LIES! PRINCE WAS NOMINATED AND WON IN 1984 FOR PURPLE RAIN

Janet holds the record for the most Billboard Awards won in a single night (14) MORE LIES!!

Janet holds the record for most gold singles for a black female artist WHO GETS HAPPY OVER GOLD WHEN YOU GOT PLATINUM?

Janet is the first female artist to receive a BMA for best selling album of the year.

Janet is the first Black female artist to be nominated for Best Original Song at the Academy Awards.

Janet did win 14 BMAs in one night. DOAD booklet states this.

Whitney only has 7 platinum singles. Her stans need to stop. Janet has 6 platinum singles, btw.

Some people like to downplay Janet's achievements. It's a known fact that she has influenced pretty much every girl or guy that's out right now. Whitney is indeed influential, but not moreso than Janet. After reading all of her accomplishments, it feels good to be a Janet stan. She's the best performer past or present(besides her brother Michael).

If you want to press them even tighter mention:

.Janets the 1st to have a #1 on any chart in the 80's, 90's, 00's, & 010's

.Which of the 2 have had a entire show dedicated to them being a icon?

.Which of the 2 actaully had a #1 single in the last 10 yrs

.about the statement "why would anyone want a career like a failure" (talking about Janet) FLIP IT, your right WHITNEY'S a failure, she's a punchline. Her reputation is shot to hell and is sitting next to her voice from the 80's and early 90's

.about the shade with the RWU tour. I'd rather Janet quit a tour that is getting GREAT reviews than stick with a tour thats getting horrible reviews night after night.

Some people like to downplay Janet's achievements. It's a known fact that she has influenced pretty much every girl or guy that's out right now. Whitney is indeed influential, but not moreso than Janet. After reading all of her accomplishments, it feels good to be a Janet stan. She's the best performer past or present(besides her brother Michael).

Better if you ask me since Mike got stuck in that same pop lockin in the late 90s.