Discography Chat: Christina Aguilera

jarrylf

14 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Christina Aguilera album?

• Just Be Free (1995) (Demo)
    • Christina Aguilera (1999)
    • Mi Reflejo (2000)
    • My Kind Of Christmas (2000)
    • Stripped (2002)
    • Back To Basics (2006)
    • Bionic (2010)
    • Burlesque (2010)
    • Keeps Getting Better (2008)

(for those who're wondering no this isnt going to be all divas, the fellas are coming too)

500full.jpg

This is actually pretty hard for me, I really love her material, and the real competition was between Stripped & Back To Basics, but Im definitely gonna have to go with Stripped as a favorite because....I think it completely took her out of the league of Britney, Beyonce, & jessica. It made her more real, raw and substancial, the album generally has substance, same with Back To Basics. I like that Christina does what Janet does with eras, 90% of what the last album/era was about is over, you get a glimpse of it here and there (sometimes more or less) but each era was completely seperate from the past, and its my favorite thing for musicians to do, whether its different genres or different styles/looks, and especially when its both, I CRAVE that from artist I like.

1.Stripped

2.Back To Basics

3.Christina Aguilera

4.Just Be Free

5.Burlesque

6.Bionic

7.Keeps Gettin Better

8.Mi Reflejo

9.My Kind Of Christmas

Whats your thoughts on Christina's catalog and how do you rank her releases?

My poll prediction is..........Back To Basics, but I dont think it'll be a landslide,I know ALOT of people love Stripped and it wont be far behind whichever is the most picked

Christina is one of my fav artists, but the inconsistency in her catalog has always bothered me. Her singles usually outweigh the experience of her full albums for me, and some of them are spectacular - easily besting the singles of just about all of her contemporaries. I've long had issues with Stripped being praised so highly, although I get it. For my taste, she's actually superseded herself with each studio album. And her hook-up with Sia is one of the greatest musical pairings in modern pop. I hope we haven't heard the last of their collaborations.

My ranking:

1. Bionic

2. Back To Basics

3. Stripped

4. Christina Aguilera

• Upvote 1

Christina is one of my fav artists, but the inconsistency in her catalog has always bothered me. Her singles usually outweigh the experience of her full albums for me, and some of them are spectacular - easily besting the singles of just about all of her contemporaries. I've long had issues with Stripped being praised so highly, although I get it. For my taste, she's actually superseded herself with each studio album. And her hook-up with Sia is one of the greatest musical pairings in modern pop. I hope we haven't heard the last of their collaborations.

My ranking:

1. Bionic

2. Back To Basics

3. Stripped

4. Christina Aguilera

OK, you are so like a resident favorite in these, cause even if we disagree, I honestly LOVE your input and what you have to say on the catalogs. I understand COMPLETELY what you mean about how you feel about Stripped, I feel the exact same way about The Velvet Rope & Butterfly, and a few others that I cant name off the top of my head where I get the whooplah, and the attention, and in TVR & Butterfly's cases I respect both albums more than I enjoy the music itself, like as you saw and we discussed Butterfly is not in my top 3 of Mimi albums. But I just really felt stripped, and honestly...largely because of Dirty, like that song is so god damn hott and epic to me........not a game lol, and I get it, I get what she was going for and trying to do, and I loved it then and still do, it took my respect for her to another level. I LOVE Beautiful but that song has been done and sang SO many times in the last 10 years, and I get it, I get what it means, but personally, I'm Ok just does so much more for me personally.

And I agree with you about the singles too, EXCEPT for me I think Stripped & B2B are somewhat the exceptions, but even in every album of hers case they put mostly the best songs out to be singles, and leaving......filler, I hate to say it cause I do enjoy her body of work but there are songs that make me "..........................................................next track". But by far I think she had the best music of the girls in her age group and in their primes.

Yall know I'm not big on Beyonce (.....understatement of the year, I straight up think she's overrated and not creative or original at all) but I have never denied the women can sing and has a good range, and is very technical with her voice, with that being said, ever since like 04 when I was a huge fan, I ALWAYS wanted a Christina & Beyonce duet, more than any other chick (hell Alicia & Mary werent even fuckin options, they never came to mind), but even with how I feel about Bey today, I'd like to hear that, and like I loved the Mary J duet, I wouldnt be suprised if I liked it....................unless it was like 3:30mins of them both doing vocal runs for no reason for a shitty song, thatd make me very sad, and is possible lol.

• Upvote 1

OK, you are so like a resident favorite in these, cause even if we disagree, I honestly LOVE your input and what you have to say on the catalogs. I understand COMPLETELY what you mean about how you feel about Stripped, I feel the exact same way about The Velvet Rope & Butterfly, and a few others that I cant name off the top of my head where I get the whooplah, and the attention, and in TVR & Butterfly's cases I respect both albums more than I enjoy the music itself, like as you saw and we discussed Butterfly is not in my top 3 of Mimi albums. But I just really felt stripped, and honestly...largely because of Dirty, like that song is so god damn hott and epic to me........not a game lol, and I get it, I get what she was going for and trying to do, and I loved it then and still do, it took my respect for her to another level. I LOVE Beautiful but that song has been done and sang SO many times in the last 10 years, and I get it, I get what it means, but personally, I'm Ok just does so much more for me personally.

And I agree with you about the singles too, EXCEPT for me I think Stripped & B2B are somewhat the exceptions, but even in every album of hers case they put mostly the best songs out to be singles, and leaving......filler, I hate to say it cause I do enjoy her body of work but there are songs that make me "..........................................................next track". But by far I think she had the best music of the girls in her age group and in their primes.

Yall know I'm not big on Beyonce (.....understatement of the year, I straight up think she's overrated and not creative or original at all) but I have never denied the women can sing and has a good range, and is very technical with her voice, with that being said, ever since like 04 when I was a huge fan, I ALWAYS wanted a Christina & Beyonce duet, more than any other chick (hell Alicia & Mary werent even fuckin options, they never came to mind), but even with how I feel about Bey today, I'd like to hear that, and like I loved the Mary J duet, I wouldnt be suprised if I liked it....................unless it was like 3:30mins of them both doing vocal runs for no reason for a shitty song, thatd make me very sad, and is possible lol.

Aww, thank you. I'm loving these discussions.

I too felt - feel - that way about 'Dirrty'. It was such a MOMENT. Without it I doubt very much that Stripped would've made the impact it did because even though it was a pretty big misrepresentation of the album, I think it was the perfect choice to ignite that second era. And that's how I've always felt about Stripped; that it was always a better era than it was an album. Her videos were on point and I think overall it's just a great snapshot of her career. I also can't take 'Beautiful' anymore. Yes it's brilliant and I will always regard it very highly, but through saturation the magic is now completely lost on me. I'd never considered a Christina/Beyonce duet but I love the idea.

Aww, thank you. I'm loving these discussions.

I too felt - feel - that way about 'Dirrty'. It was such a MOMENT. Without it I doubt very much that Stripped would've made the impact it did because even though it was a pretty big misrepresentation of the album, I think it was the perfect choice to ignite that second era. And that's how I've always felt about Stripped; that it was always a better era than it was an album. Her videos were on point and I think overall it's just a great snapshot of her career. I also can't take 'Beautiful' anymore. Yes it's brilliant and I will always regard it very highly, but through saturation the magic is now completely lost on me. I'd never considered a Christina/Beyonce duet but I love the idea.

NO YOU DIDNT GO AND SAY EXACTLY HOW I FEEL ABOUT SO MANY ARTST AND THEIR ERAS LOL OMG, see you really are my fave in these, LOL I GET that, all caps truly needed with that GET lol, I GET THAT (that line did take me by surprise and make me sit up outta bed lol). I dont think I have that for Janet but for me MJ's Dangerous album is that definition perfectly, I loved his videos and where he was at in that time and the image and the sound and singles more than I enjoy the album Dangerous as a whole (but we'll get to Michael soon, back to Xtina). You know what Back to basics kind of is for me, I LOVED the 1940's-50's looks and styles and hair and makeup, she fuckin WORKED that era, and I love that album, but trust that I love that era more. Wheres with Stripped it kinda evens itself out for me. I love you feel that way about Dirty, seriously, fuck the low impact and bullshit it went through in American radio and even with it's success, thats the kinda shit that when I think of a epic 1st single, I think of that. The 1st time I heard dirty, I didnt even care about the "dirtyness" that bitch was BAD, that song killed and them vocals effortlessly slayed me for 10years strong lol. It was also I think the perfect post "Lady Marmalade" single too, cause that song is what made me realize, this chick cant only sing, she got PIPES, and then she smacked me with Dirty, showing them off and showing off a whole new genre and style lol :excited:

You know what...when I think of a Bey/Xtina duet....so much comes to mind, like they could do a ballad or dance song, preferably I could hear it being like Dirty or Aint no other man. And honestly, back when Lady marmalade was new, I always thought Beyonce would've fit the song more than Mya, even as what some would call a h8er today, I still think Bey would've done better with that song and lineup than Mya did, tho Mya did the damn thing and very nicely, Im sayin I think Bey would've done it better, and I woulda had ma Bey & Xtina song lol, AND P!NK & LIL KIM INCLUDED lol.

• Upvote 1

Christina is one of my fav artists, but the inconsistency in her catalog has always bothered me. Her singles usually outweigh the experience of her full albums for me, and some of them are spectacular - easily besting the singles of just about all of her contemporaries. I've long had issues with Stripped being praised so highly, although I get it. For my taste, she's actually superseded herself with each studio album. And her hook-up with Sia is one of the greatest musical pairings in modern pop. I hope we haven't heard the last of their collaborations. My ranking:

1. Bionic

2. Back To Basics

3. Stripped

4. Christina Aguilera

I can't spot the lie.

oprahgirfa-vi.gif

1. Stripped

2. Bionic

3. Back To Basics

4. Christina Aguilera

5.Burlesque

6. Mi Reflejo

7. My Kind of Christmas

8. Just Be Free

I adore this woman, her voice and her catalog...which is pretty fucking impressive. She gives me both consistency and evolution. Her voice has so many layers of depth and versatility that I'm always left in awe. She isn't afraid of take risks with her sound and I love that.

-stan break

• Upvote 1

I remember the Stripped era, loving the music but not liking her because I was religious back then and she was wearing skimpy outfits (lol). But the chick came out with this and I started to love her:

I used to ignore the 'girl' lyrics and pretend she was singing to me. It was definitely something I needed at that time.

When you're safe inside your room, you tend to dream

Of a place where nothing's harder than it seems

No one ever wants or bothers to explain

Of the heartache life can bring and what it means

tumblr_m2x1x5W8tM1qk9lcq.gif

My appreciation grew a lot when hotboy was promoting this:

You Lost Me truly is an amazing song. I fucking love it.

I like Christina. I think she has an incredible talent and is beautiful. I hate that she gets overlooked so often by the media for the lessor talented girls. Next time she tours I shall be going.

1. Stripped

2. Bionic

3. Back To Basics

4. Christina Aguilera

5. Mi Reflejo

6. My Kind of Christmas

7. Just Be Free

I adore this woman, her voice and her catalog...which is pretty fucking impressive. She gives me both consistency and evolution. Her voice has so many layers of depth and versatility that I'm always left in awe. She isn't afraid of take risks with her sound and I love that.

-stan break

Yessssssss!! That's how I would rank her albums as well. The "Stripped" era is so special to me. It will always be my favorite album.

When "Screamtina" isn't present, she can give a vocal like this:

From 2:13 and beyond>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ynji1-vi.gif

1. Stripped

2. Bionic

3. Back To Basics

4. Christina Aguilera

5. Mi Reflejo

6. My Kind of Christmas

7. Just Be Free

-stan break

:thumbup: All of that, I agree with. I do complain (like most) when she goes over the top in her live performances sometimes, and when she does her signature sounds, but I noticed today, as long as I dont hear them too much or all the time, they are good. And her range is pretty damn impressive, def the closest thing this generation has to a Mariah (except she can dance, and she could stand to flaunt her whistle register a lil more, like on some recorded songs). And yes, she is NEVER afraid to try out anything, and I CRAVE that.

I forgot to also say why Stripped is my #1 album of hers (I literally just listened to it all, and had to put on headphones for Dirty cause I was feelin it tonight), but she really switches the genres up (I say) more in that album than any other, along with pop she really gets into rock & R&B & hiphop more in that album than any prior or sense, and I digg her for even doing that for a album. Gives me a lil Janet. I just love how every album has a theme. Hell even Just Be Free (which I love, I just love early 90's music, so automatically. That Demo album has more substance, soul and style than majority of whats popular on the radio now lol)

1. Back to Basics

2. Bionic

3. Stripped

4. Christina Agulera

5. Mi Reflejo

How can you not love Christina? Her catalogue is one of the best to ever come from her generation. I'd easily rank her in the Top 3. She gives you some of everything and all of it seems to come so naturally to her. She has a passion for her craft and it shows. Her voice is rich and soulful but still light enough to give you some classic dance and pop hits. I do worry about how she strains her voice sometimes, I desperately want her to get some training to learn control. She has such a gift. She is the Voice of Our Generation, I just want her to get a little control so she can preserve it.

I like Christina. I think she has an incredible talent and is beautiful. I hate that she gets overlooked so often by the media for the lessor talented girls. Next time she tours I shall be going.

I only promote the best. And "You Lost Me" is my fave song in the last ten years. :coffee:

1. Back to Basics

2. Bionic

3. Stripped

4. Christina Agulera

5. Mi Reflejo

How can you not love Christina? Her catalogue is one of the best to ever come from her generation. I'd easily rank her in the Top 3. She gives you some of everything and all of it seems to come so naturally to her. She has a passion for her craft and it shows. Her voice is rich and soulful but still light enough to give you some classic dance and pop hits. I do worry about how she strains her voice sometimes, I desperately want her to get some training to learn control. She has such a gift. She is the Voice of Our Generation, I just want her to get a little control so she can preserve it.

For show. I don't know why she feels the need to prove she can sing instead of just doing it. And when she does, she gets lost in it. But I didn't mind her going crazy for this performance:

My fave performance from her ever. I think James Brown took control of this little white woman.. :unsure::mellow:

I remember the Stripped era, loving the music but not liking her because I was religious back then and she was wearing skimpy outfits (lol). But the chick came out with this and I started to love her:

I used to ignore the 'girl' lyrics and pretend she was singing to me. It was definitely something I needed at that time.

When you're safe inside your room, you tend to dream

Of a place where nothing's harder than it seems

No one ever wants or bothers to explain

Of the heartache life can bring and what it means

tumblr_m2x1x5W8tM1qk9lcq.gif

OMG!!! NO YOU DID NOT POST THAT VIDEO (The voice within) I havent seen in YEARS, omg, Thanks Bu

Yessssssss!! That's how I would rank her albums as well. The "Stripped" era is so special to me. It will always be my favorite album.

ynji1-vi.gif

I feel like "Screamtina" is kinda what gets in the way of her being taken more seriously sometimes, like I think people KNOW the chick can sing and has pipes, but......when she screams....ALOT (when its every now and then we cool) but when she goes OVERFUCKINBOARD......its not that appealing to non-fans/stans. And the funny thing is, its a live thing, like she hardly does it to the extent that she will on stage in the studio and on them albums.

And I agree with both you & Bu on You Lost Me, truly beautiful and underrated as hell.

For show. I don't know why she feels the need to prove she can sing instead of just doing it. And when she does, she gets lost in it. But I didn't mind her going crazy for this performance:

My fave performance from her ever. I think James Brown took control of this little white woman.. :unsure::mellow:

THATS THE BEST SHE EVER OVERDID IT, AND YOU KNOWWW SHE WAS POSSESED LOL, for real, you can see she felt that song with every inch of her body

ynji1-vi.gif

My issue with "Screamtina" is the feeling that she's fighting the music...she reminds me of the Dark Phoenix in a way...unlimited power and no control.

I'm going to write her a strong letter....and sign it Jeantina Greyguilera. :sigh:

I feel like "Screamtina" is kinda what gets in the way of her being taken more seriously sometimes, like I think people KNOW the chick can sing and has pipes, but......when she screams....ALOT (when its every now and then we cool) but when she goes OVERFUCKINBOARD......its not that appealing to non-fans/stans. And the funny thing is, its a live thing, like she hardly does it to the extent that she will on stage in the studio and on them albums.

And I agree with both you & Bu on You Lost Me, truly beautiful and underrated as hell.

She just does it because she can..and the results can be...unpredictable.. :shifty:

But you are correct..she does it mainly live..but when she doesn't scream, she give a performance like this:

A little pitchy..but she did a great job. :wub: