Discography Chat: Erykah Badu

jarrylf

9 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Erykah Badu album?

• Baduism (1997)
    • Live (1997)
    • Mama's Gun (2000)
    • Worldwide Underground (2003)
    • New Amerykah Part One (4th World War) (2008)
    • New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh) (2010

coiffer_bases_rajouts_badu_micro_th.jpg

Woo, chille, let me tell you about me & miss Badu, She's the has the type of music for me where its like, you get home you tired as hell and you just wanna groove and relax and just let her voice and words lay you out, she and Janet and very few other singers have that. Now as for my fave album.....I THINK Ima have to go for the 1st one, like I really love her discography, and the experimentation, but that 1st album..........OTHERSIDE OF THE GAME, NEXT LIFETIME,ON&ON,RIMSHOT,APPLETREE, please lol, I dont think any album she's done since has THAT many songs that I love to the extent that I love those songs listed. My ranking would be

1.Baduism

2.Worldwide Underground

3.Live

4.New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)

5.New Amerykah Part Two

6.Mama's Gun

Poll predictions, I predict the 1st album will take the lead, but we dont discuss her enough for me to fully be suprised if it dont.

Erykah Badu is an artist in every sense of the word. I believe that her best, most original painting was Mama's Gun. I LIVE for that album. Orange Moon can take me places that dreams dream about. I believe that her most artistic album would be New Amerykah Part 1...its is sooo ahead of its time and quite brilliant and very brave.

• Upvote 3

You know what else slays on that live album? BoogieNights/AllNightLong THATS MA JAM, I love how she mixed them and sang that song. I do LOVE her live album, like her Vh1SoulStage was my fave. THOSE PERFORMANCES KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL If you've never seen her soul stage, besides watching these 2 Im posting check out all the songs, she really does great, shoulda made that a live album (I have a mp3 album of it tho lol shh)

(THE BREAKDOWN IS EVERYTHING, its where I started Jill Scott Jilly From Philly lol)

Erykah is one of the few artists I struggle to draw a comparison to, and to me that's the sign of a true original. I'm sure she has a thousand inspirations, but there's really nobody else like her. I actually didn't warm to her until well into the new millennium. Not that I didn't like her music, I just wasn't familiar. I remember being a youngster and seeing Jewel present a Grammy to her, commenting that she was such a huge fan, and for whatever reason that's stuck with me to this day. The fact that she appealed to a polar opposite on the music spectrum must've planted a seed somewhere in me because I made a real effort to get acquainted with her catalog years later.

My first real taste came with her feature on 'You Got Me' by The Roots, which I regard as one of the greatest songs of all time. There's just something so mesmerizing about that track, and it's all down to Erykah's delivery. The way she ducks, weaves, and wraps herself around those lyrics flaws me. And when I say there's nobody else like her, I mean it. Jill Scott's interpretation of the very same chorus, whilst still good, is a world away from the magic of Badu's. Album-wise, 'Love Of My Life' and 'Danger' led me to Worldwide Underground, and from there I backtracked, tracing my way to where it all began. Baduizm I would class as an essential album. I don't think it's her best, but it's the best place to start. It's a neo-soul landmark, as is Live, and in particular, 'Tyrone', which just might be THE crowning jewel of the genre. Mama's Gun as a project took it to the next level. It's obvious from listening to that album that she simply doesn't function like the rest of us. For me, though, her masterpiece is New Amerykah Part One. I wouldn't change a single thing about that album. It's a journey. 'Honey' aside, I can never listen to a track out of sequence. The album is to be experienced, not just listened to. There is so much buried in the mix that it still feels brand new four years later. It was always going to be hard to follow, but even so, I feel Part Two is a letdown. For me, that era begins and ends with 'Window Seat'. I don't want to call it her worst because I don't think there is such a thing as a bad Erykah Badu album. I'll just call it her least best.

My ranking:

1. New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)

2. Mama's Gun

3. Baduizm

4. Worldwide Underground

5. New Amerykah Part Two (Return Of The Ankh)

• Upvote 2

Erykah is one of the few artists I struggle to draw a comparison to, and to me that's the sign of a true original. I'm sure she has a thousand inspirations, but there's really nobody else like her. I actually didn't warm to her until well into the new millennium. Not that I didn't like her music, I just wasn't familiar. I remember being a youngster and seeing Jewel present a Grammy to her, commenting that she was such a huge fan, and for whatever reason that's stuck with me to this day. The fact that she appealed to a polar opposite on the music spectrum must've planted a seed somewhere in me because I made a real effort to get acquainted with her catalog years later.

My first real taste came with her feature on 'You Got Me' by The Roots, which I regard as one of the greatest songs of all time. There's just something so mesmerizing about that track, and it's all down to Erykah's delivery. The way she ducks, weaves, and wraps herself around those lyrics flaws me. And when I say there's nobody else like her, I mean it. Jill Scott's interpretation of the very same chorus, whilst still good, is a world away from the magic of Badu's. Album-wise, 'Love Of My Life' and 'Danger' led me to Worldwide Underground, and from there I backtracked, tracing my way to where it all began. Baduizm I would class as an essential album. I don't think it's her best, but it's the best place to start. It's a neo-soul landmark, as is Live, and in particular, 'Tyrone', which just might be THE crowning jewel of the genre. Mama's Gun as a project took it to the next level. It's obvious from listening to that album that she simply doesn't function like the rest of us. For me, though, her masterpiece is New Amerykah Part One. I wouldn't change a single thing about that album. It's a journey. 'Honey' aside, I can never listen to a track out of sequence. The album is to be experienced, not just listened to. There is so much buried in the mix that it still feels brand new four years later. It was always going to be hard to follow, but even so, I feel Part Two is a letdown. For me, that era begins and ends with 'Window Seat'. I don't want to call it her worst because I don't think there is such a thing as a bad Erykah Badu album. I'll just call it her least best.

My ranking:

1. New Amerykah Part One (4th World War)

2. Mama's Gun

3. Baduizm

4. Worldwide Underground

5. New Amerykah Part Two (Return Of The Ankh)

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS & YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssss

Welcome back fave!! WHEW where to begin, 1st I LOVED your analysis as usual, for me I discovered her when I was a kid when she was new because of Next Lifetime, Whew I used to love that song (still do) and it just went on and on. You know what, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jill Scott but Im not much of a fan of the way she sings You got me live most of the time, now my friend were you aware that Jill wrote the hook/chours and was on the original/demo version and then Lady Badu covered it for their album? (I'll post below for those who didnt, I personally made a remix that features them both singing it), you know I absolutely LOVE that song, and its funny cause I must've heard it a million times but I hardly know the rap cause that hook is my everything, I think Ima make a mix with JUST that lol, I like Eve in it too and I love the roots, but that hook is what Im listenin to that song for lol. And I can completely relate about New Amerykah pt.2 bing a let down from New Amerykah pt.1, part 1 was amazing, I love it. I love Window Seat too, the song and video, but there are some tracks on that album I really dont care for as much. Again very good analysis

The original You Got Me with Jill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kwswAM2ukQ

MY remix with them both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icaYw3upN90

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS & YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssss

Welcome back fave!! WHEW where to begin, 1st I LOVED your analysis as usual, for me I discovered her when I was a kid when she was new because of Next Lifetime, Whew I used to love that song (still do) and it just went on and on. You know what, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jill Scott but Im not much of a fan of the way she sings You got me live most of the time, now my friend were you aware that Jill wrote the hook/chours and was on the original/demo version and then Lady Badu covered it for their album? (I'll post below for those who didnt, I personally made a remix that features them both singing it), you know I absolutely LOVE that song, and its funny cause I must've heard it a million times but I hardly know the rap cause that hook is my everything, I think Ima make a mix with JUST that lol, I like Eve in it too and I love the roots, but that hook is what Im listenin to that song for lol. And I can completely relate about New Amerykah pt.2 bing a let down from New Amerykah pt.1, part 1 was amazing, I love it. I love Window Seat too, the song and video, but there are some tracks on that album I really dont care for as much. Again very good analysis

Thank you. I love Jill too, but I think it's a perfect example of Badu's originality. I knew Jill did the demo, but I didn't know she wrote it. It's not even that Jill's version is poor or weak, it's just not Badu's. You know nobody told Erykah to sing it like that.

I'll check out the mix. :thumbup:

Thank you. I love Jill too, but I think it's a perfect example of Badu's originality. I knew Jill did the demo, but I didn't know she wrote it. It's not even that Jill's version is poor or weak, it's just not Badu's. You know nobody told Erykah to sing it like that.

I'll check out the mix. :thumbup:

You aint lied about that lol. I love Jill's but theres something soooo special about Erykah's, so I have to agree

I'd like to dedicate this to all the children. I have some food in my bag for you. Not the edible food the food you eat...no. Perhaps some food for thought! Apple Tree >> Window Seat >>>

With all the discography chats I dont think I've ever seen the polls so divided lol, I love it. It says alot about a musicians discography to me. Was just listening to New Amerykah 2 yesterday, and yea I too dont like to refer to it as bad or her worst, but its her least lol. It's a good album but to me Window Seat is the standout track

Erykah is a musical genius, and she's always full of amazing surprises. If I had to choose one favorite album, it would have to be Baduizm. "On & On" was my introduction to her, plus it has my favorite "Next Lifetime" ~ it's just so magical. Love them all, but this is my personal ranking (along with my favorite track in green)...

1. Baduizm ("Next Lifetime")

2. Mama's Gun ("Bag Lady")

3. New Amerykah Part One (4th World War) ("Honey")

4. Worldwide Underground ("I Want You")

5. New Amerykah Part Two (Return of the Ankh) ("Umm Hmm")

• 2 months later...