Discography Chat: Black Eyed Peas

HollyHood

Just went through my iPod playlist and shocked that I have not listened to Black Eyed Peas for a while now. Or maybe their new material just did not gain any interest from me at all.

I remember their Elephunk and Monkey Business eras and the songs really sounding fresh and THE jams - Shut Up, Hey Mama, Pump It, Don't Phunk With My Heart, Audio Delite, etc.

With the release The E.N.D., there were some cute songs here and there but my interest to the band started waning. By the release of The Beginning, they completely lost me. I don't like the direction they took with their music at all.

Thoughts?

I don't think they've ever nailed an album, but their singles game from Elephunk to The E.N.D. was crazy. They'd sold out but it was for the better imo. For a while there it felt like they were the only pop group doing anything at all. But The Beginning was a bunch of self-indulgent crap from will.i.am, and I remember commenting at the time that I didn't feel the album could go the distance. That budget and energy should've been channeled into Fergie's sophomore album.

Fergie went right...they were irrelevant until she joined.

What went wrong? I think they just lost the creativity they had. Will became obsessed with making 'futurist' type songs and it just didn't gel. I couldn't name you a single song from their last album. I don't even remember hearing the singles.

Elephunk and Monkey Business were really good albums, but I loved The E.N.D. I thought it was the perfect mix of what made the Black Eyed Peas special in their own way mixed with mass market popular music appeal. The Beginning was a mess. Outside of Just Can't Get Enough and Fergie's part of the Time of your life sample, I did not like that album. When Dirty Bit came out, I rolled my eyes at the thought that pure dance music was where pop was going. The sad thing is, everyone that came out after that (including Brit with Hold It Against Me) did it better. I don't know where Will.I.Am was going with that album, but he should have either taken another year or waited for Fergie to have a second solo before pushing forward.

Yup, their early albums were indeed effortless and now it's corny. I too couldn't name any singles from their last album which is sad because if this is the kind of direction they are heading to, I don't think I would ever be that interested in their music again the way I was with Elephunk and Monkey Business.

Changing this thread to one of those discography chat.

Will.I.am's Ego is pretty big. Not to mention his cornyness.

As a group they are a bunch of try hards now, they used to be fun and have a cool effortless sound but not anymore.

Let the church say BOOM BOOM POW to that truth. I always found Will so damn lame and corny. YES he's very talented and has some great music, but he's so damn lame and corny and has it written all over him. And he started taking more control and the front line.

and Im only here for Elephunk and Monkey business

The thing with BEP was that even their music was corny - and I mean the music that did well i.e Elephunk and Monkey Business - and that's why it was so good lol.. You can't get cornier than 'shut up just shut up shut up' or 'Where Is The Love?' lol. People like corny music. They kind of lost that with The E.N.D and then whatever that last album they released was called.

If I hear I Gotta Feeling one more time :umm:.

• Upvote 1

The thing with BEP was that even their music was corny - and I mean the music that did well i.e Elephunk and Monkey Business - and that's why it was so good lol.. You can't get cornier than 'shut up just shut up shut up' or 'Where Is The Love?' lol. People like corny music. They kind of lost that with The E.N.D and then whatever that last album they released was called.

If I hear I Gotta Feeling one more time :umm:.

VERY true, when have they not been corney? LOL its their whole look prettymuch. Yea Corney does speed up the charts faster than deep or substance now days (well in like the last 8 yrs specifically). Yea the last 1 was "The Beginning". And the fact that I had to go to Wikipedia to even be sure they had an album after The E.N.D. speaks volumes lol.

OMG I AM NOTTTT A fan of I gotta feeling.............unless I'm at a party. But other than that setting, the song does nothing for me.

I've been listening to them a lot lately, and I know the answer.

Right: Fergie. When she joined them, it took them to a greater level.

Wrong: Fergie's solo success while Will's attempt flopped. We all know he's said he's happy for her and so on, but how happy could he had been when he constantly kept saying Nicole Scherzinger almost had that spot when she was flopping too? I bet he wishes he went with Nicole instead. Plus since The E.N.D. album gave them mega hits, he's stuck in that style and trying to be "futuristic" like that album instead thinking outside the box.

Basically the BEP is Fergie's world and Will can't take it. :coffee:

• Upvote 1

I've been listening to them a lot lately, and I know the answer.

Right: Fergie. When she joined them, it took them to a greater level.

Wrong: Fergie's solo success while Will's attempt flopped. We all know he's said he's happy for her and so on, but how happy could he had been when he constantly kept saying Nicole Scherzinger almost had that spot when she was flopping too? I bet he wishes he went with Nicole instead. Plus since The E.N.D. album gave them mega hits, he's stuck in that style and trying to be "futuristic" like that album instead thinking outside the box.

Basically the BEP is Fergie's world and Will can't take it. :coffee:

I don't see any lies in your post, but if a Fergie album came out today would people really be aboard ship for it? I don't see too many sailors looking for Fergie island.

I don't see any lies in your post, but if a Fergie album came out today would people really be aboard ship for it? I don't see too many sailors looking for Fergie island.

Now like right now...no. Before she said she's not doing another solo album...yes. Almost everyone was craving another solo album from her. Even if she did one today, I think over time it would catch on. Especially if she had a few Rock tracks on it, released them as singles, and if the album didn't sound like this BEP mess Will has been doing. Hell, maybe she would tie or beat Janet's 7 Top 5 hits from 1 album record this time.

Now like right now...no. Before she said she's not doing another solo album...yes. Almost everyone was craving another solo album from her. Even if she did one today, I think over time it would catch on. Especially if she had a few Rock tracks on it, released them as singles, and if the album didn't sound like this BEP mess Will has been doing. Hell, maybe she would tie or beat Janet's 7 Top 5 hits from 1 album record this time.

You're doing too much

5469885-women-with-summer-hat-waving-hand-to-ship-sailing-out-of-the-port.jpg

You're doing too much

5469885-women-with-summer-hat-waving-hand-to-ship-sailing-out-of-the-port.jpg

:rolleyes: Let's be completely honest. If Fergie kept releasing songs during her solo, that record would either had her name behind Janet or it would have been hers. Now she would have to pull some magic out her ass to do it, but I think the magic's there. She'd just have to stop trying to over do it for live performances, but she can't help herself.

:rolleyes: Let's be completely honest. If Fergie kept releasing songs during her solo, that record would either had her name behind Janet or it would have been hers. Now she would have to pull some magic out her ass to do it, but I think the magic's there. She'd just have to stop trying to over do it for live performances, but she can't help herself.

If you call peeing on yourself a performance :coffee: