Discography Chat: Jennifer Lopez

jarrylf

7 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your fave Jennifer Lopez album?

• On The 6 (1999)
    • J.Lo (2001)
    • This Is Me...then (2003)
    • Rebirth (2005)
    • Como Ama una Mujer (2007)
    • Brave (2007)
    • Love? (2011)

JenniferLopez1-1.jpg

Ah Mrs. Lopez, I do love her, I did kinda forget she existed (musically from 06-10) but she has some SICK songs and videos to me, and some that are quite forgetable. 1 thing about her and a few other hispanic (mainly female) vocalists that she can sing SOOOO much better in spanish than in English, her voice in on point in most of her spanish songs, but in her english songs her voice is....ciara-ish, but better than Ciara. Favorite album by her, I might have to say Love? because I'd say it's her most solid piece of work, BUT, it was NOT my fave era by far (it was starting to look like it might be able to give my fave J.Lo era a run for it's money). My fave J.Lo era is definitely J.Lo, 2001 SHE WAS HOTTT, and right under Janet, Janet OWNED 2001, but J.Lo was the only women right behind her. She had the movies goin on, the videos all over the place, the music all over the place, I mean, it was like you had to be living under a rock not to know her in 2001. So there you have it, Love? is my fave album, and J.Lo is my fave era on the subject of Jennifer Lopez

my ranking goes

1.Love?

2.J.Lo

3.On The 6

4.This Is me Then

5.Rebirth

6.Brave

7.Como Ama una Mujer

My poll prediction is for either J.Lo or This Is Me Then to storm the lead

None of her albums are very good, are they? :lol:J.Lo spawned some of her best singles but This Is Me... Then was more enjoyable to me.

When compared to most of her peers between 99-11, I'd say mostly, as whole albums not really. But what made them work was her videos, routines, and just the eras as a whole, but I feel like with Rebirth & Brave she REALLLLY dragged her feet and dropped the ball on potential good single choices, but I'd say all of her albums have filler, some more than others but filler. Of those albums listed above I'd say 4 of them are as a whole album pretty good when not compared to anyone else, and those would be my 1st 4 choices

I love J.Lo, but there's no denying she's up there with the non-singing girls. She may even be their leader. Although unlike, say, Britney, she always gives face in every video, every performance. You look at her and know she's owning it. I've always admired that.

Sadly though, she doesn't have one outstanding album to her name. It's all just a bit too nice and inoffensive. Her singles, however, are a different story. 'Do It Well' aside, J.Lo never put a foot wrong in her lead single game. 'If You Had My Love' is so damn sexy, and one of my favourite debut singles ever. 'Love Don't Cost a Thing', 'Jenny From The Block', 'Get Right', 'On The Floor', all superb lead singles. Her videos have been solid too.

On The 6 was a nice way to start, and for the handful of singles she released, she did well to cover all bases. R&B ('If You Had My Love'), dance ('Waiting For Tonight'), hip-hop ('Feelin' So Good') and latin ('No Me Ames', 'Let's Get Loud'). But it didn't seem as contrived as when Christina tried to play the everywoman on Stripped. J.Lo was crucial. Had she not released that album, and not adopted that nickname, she would've faded into obscurity along with Christina Milian and Joy Enriquez. That album was her big pop explosion and it solidified her place. From memory, I think it made her the first female to have a number one album and a number one movie in the same week. Not a huge deal really, but she did manage to keep the two careers alight without sacrificing her credibility.

I wasn't a huge fan of the whole Murder Inc. era (although I still bump 'I'm Real'), but it served her well, and I loved that a star as big as J.Lo convinced somebody as anti-pop as Nas was at the time to go commercial. She was doing far too much in the Bennifer years, though - what a headache. They were bigger than her music could ever hope to be. Which is a shame because some really good songs were overshadowed. 'Still', 'Loving You', and her cover of 'You Belong To Me', they're some of my favs to this day. She fell off with a couple of singles though, namely 'I'm Glad' (great video, forgettable song) and the bile-inducing 'Baby I Love U!'. Rebirth was weighed down by too much of not enough. Take out 'Get Right' and 'Cherry Pie', you're left with an aural sleeping pill.

As unloved as it was, Brave is one of her best efforts. 'Do It Well' was almost a misrepresentation of that project. Not that it didn't sound like the rest of the album, it just didn't sound as good as the rest of the album. There were several songs on there which would've served as much stronger lead singles. People heard it and (rightly so) assumed she hadn't brought anything new to the table. Same ol' J.Lo. And for part of it, it was. Had we seen 'Mile In These Shoes' or even 'Gotta Be There' as the lead, it might've told a different story. But in hindsight, probably not. Jennifer Lopez had reached the point of overexposure. People just weren't engaged like they were the first half of the decade. It's a bit of a shame, but I get it. The album also contains my favourite J.Lo song ever in 'Forever'. :wub:

Love?, if there is such a thing, is classic J.Lo. I've learned she's simply one of those artists who will never go there. And that's okay. She can leave the social awareness and emotional turmoil to the Gagas and Skylar Greys and runaway with their producers instead. I love that she worked with RedOne, in particular 'On The Floor', which was one of the standout tracks of my 2011. What I wish for now is the pair to stop trying to emulate its intensity and maybe try for something a little different. I can't say I don't love 'Papi' and 'Dance Again', but it's all very same-same.

When it's all said and done, J.Lo can at least say she lasted longer than anybody would have predicted. Is that enough? Perhaps. But one has to wonder why with all that hype did she never give touring a proper go. Not that she doesn't wear enough hats already, but I've always found that to be a little perplexing. As for her recording future, ever since Brave it's felt like the beginning of the end. It would make sense for 'Dance Again' to lead into a Best Of package, and after that, who knows? The industry will carry on regardless, but I for one will always show an interest in whatever she puts out.

My ranking:

1. J.Lo

2. Brave

3. Love?

4. This Is Me... Then

5. On The 6

6. Rebirth

• Upvote 2

I love J.Lo, but there's no denying she's up there with the non-singing girls. She may even be their leader. Although unlike, say, Britney, she always gives face in every video, every performance. You look at her and know she's owning it. I've always admired that.

Sadly though, she doesn't have one outstanding album to her name. It's all just a bit too nice and inoffensive. Her singles, however, are a different story. 'Do It Well' aside, J.Lo never put a foot wrong in her lead single game. 'If You Had My Love' is so damn sexy, and one of my favourite debut singles ever. 'Love Don't Cost a Thing', 'Jenny From The Block', 'Get Right', 'On The Floor', all superb lead singles. Her videos have been solid too.

On The 6 was a nice way to start, and for the handful of singles she released, she did well to cover all bases. R&B ('If You Had My Love'), dance ('Waiting For Tonight'), hip-hop ('Feelin' So Good') and latin ('No Me Ames', 'Let's Get Loud'). But it didn't seem as contrived as when Christina tried to play the everywoman on Stripped. J.Lo was crucial. Had she not released that album, and not adopted that nickname, she would've faded into obscurity along with Christina Milian and Joy Enriquez. That album was her big pop explosion and it solidified her place. From memory, I think it made her the first female to have a number one album and a number one movie in the same week. Not a huge deal really, but she did manage to keep the two careers alight without sacrificing her credibility.

I wasn't a huge fan of the whole Murder Inc. era (although I still bump 'I'm Real'), but it served her well, and I loved that a star as big as J.Lo convinced somebody as anti-pop as Nas was at the time to go commercial. She was doing far too much in the Bennifer years, though - what a headache. They were bigger than her music could ever hope to be. Which is a shame because some really good songs were overshadowed. 'Still', 'Loving You', and her cover of 'You Belong To Me', they're some of my favs to this day. She fell off with a couple of singles though, namely 'I'm Glad' (great video, forgettable song) and the bile-inducing 'Baby I Love U!'. Rebirth was weighed down by too much of not enough. Take out 'Get Right' and 'Cherry Pie', you're left with an aural sleeping pill.

As unloved as it was, Brave is one of her best efforts. 'Do It Well' was almost a misrepresentation of that project. Not that it didn't sound like the rest of the album, it just didn't sound as good as the rest of the album. There were several songs on there which would've served as much stronger lead singles. People heard it and (rightly so) assumed she hadn't brought anything new to the table. Same ol' J.Lo. And for part of it, it was. Had we seen 'Mile In These Shoes' or even 'Gotta Be There' as the lead, it might've told a different story. But in hindsight, probably not. Jennifer Lopez had reached the point of overexposure. People just weren't engaged like they were the first half of the decade. It's a bit of a shame, but I get it. The album also contains my favourite J.Lo song ever in 'Forever'. :wub:

Love?, if there is such a thing, is classic J.Lo. I've learned she's simply one of those artists who will never go there. And that's okay. She can leave the social awareness and emotional turmoil to the Gagas and Skylar Greys and runaway with their producers instead. I love that she worked with RedOne, in particular 'On The Floor', which was one of the standout tracks of my 2011. What I wish for now is the pair to stop trying to emulate its intensity and maybe try for something a little different. I can't say I don't love 'Papi' and 'Dance Again', but it's all very same-same.

When it's all said and done, J.Lo can at least say she lasted longer than anybody would have predicted. Is that enough? Perhaps. But one has to wonder why with all that hype did she never give touring a proper go. Not that she doesn't wear enough hats already, but I've always found that to be a little perplexing. As for her recording future, ever since Brave it's felt like the beginning of the end. It would make sense for 'Dance Again' to lead into a Best Of package, and after that, who knows? The industry will carry on regardless, but I for one will always show an interest in whatever she puts out.

My ranking:

1. J.Lo

2. Brave

3. Love?

4. This Is Me... Then

5. On The 6

6. Rebirth

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: OMG I FUCKING LOVE THAT, as usual, damn. Oh and I agree with you 100%, I LOVE Gotta be there, and forever. AND YESSSSSSSSSSSS So many Janet fans and Jen fans LOVE I'm Glad and the song is soooo ok lol. Like seriously the video is LIFE but the song itself falls very short next to the likes of If You Had My Love, Waiting For Tonight, Love Dont Cost A Thing, Get Right, or On the floor. The video is spectecular tho. And all in all her video's prove that she'll always be a dancer 1st & actress 2nd, and singer 3rd (if that). A gorgeous 1 but she has SO many videos where she just serves you hottness with the steps, the hair flippin, and and the beauty shots. She's a bad women because she knows what she's doing.

And you know what, I completely agree on your point about how she'll never "go there" I realized thats what I was looking for from her, but why? She never really made herself sound like she was capable of going the places I'd want her to go so why should I look for it? I should just enjoy "Classic J.Lo" and so I do, she's VERY predictable music wise (....as South Park very "colorfully" pointed out), and it's like ok just pick the hot tracks and move the filler. And you were also right about J.Lo being the perfect follow up with the perfect image and all of that. Oh and the record she set was, she had the #1 song, #1 Album. & #1 movie all in the same week. I actually do have to admit thats something cool, and I wish Janet was the 1st with that instead, but it is what it is. Congrats to J.Lo

You know what I forgot about, is her duets with LL...........All I have? ugh, Control Myself? HOTT. And I'm with you on the Murder Inc collabs, like I LOVE the I'm Real Remix, but what the fuck was she thinking with the aint it funny remix? Like I LOVE the chours, but the verses were kinda...ugh...but again, she loooked HOTTTTTTTTTTT in that video.

And Get Right...............that song (AND it's remix) was MOST of my 2005, like damn, she KILLLLED that song, routine and the performances.

To me the true irony too is, I think J.Lo can go years without an album or movie and hollywood wont really care. Like music wise she's GREAT when that 1st single drops (most times) it's all over the place, she's all over the place, but then....in most cases since Rebirth, by the time single #2 is released, everyones attention is somewhere else or on someone else. On the movie side, it's also hard because she can either be a mediocre actress or a VERY good actress. But shes not pulling out "Selena"'s, "Enough"'s, Or "ElCantante"'s enough to be take seriously as a dramatic actress as she's shown in those 3 names that she can. It's funny that if you look at her body of work on the film side shes SO eclectic, and has done so many types of films and characters (some good and some not), she'll take a risk, but she wont musically it seems, she plays music VERY safe and very predictable.

I always say, I wish Jen was more like Janet in the music department and just willing to digg deep and try things out, and I honestly wish Janet was like Jen in the movie department, just take more chances on different types of roles and working with different types of directors, but hey, to each their own right? And at the end of the day, it's more likely Janet will go in that direction with films than it is Jen will go that direction with music. I mean I cant even imagine a J.Lo "Velvet Rope" or "Rhythm nation", I just dont see it, so I just dont look for it.

Jennifer's rise to fame would be a good read or movie. She worked real hard to get where she's at. American Idol really catapulted her right back in the upper echelons of the A-List.

With that being said, I don't care to much for her discography..aside from her earlier work, the latter part of her music career doesn't pale in comparison. Like the Musical God TE mentioned, most of her lead singles were pretty damn good. But she's not an albums artist imo.

My fave video from her is "Get Right". I remember moving to SC in 2005 and hearing the song on the radio. The horn loop was quite annoying, but it was addicting as well. I think video-wise, it was her shining moment. The fashion was on point and I loved that she played different characters. The choreography was really good. I love it! Oh, but I hated the remix with Fabulous on it..yuck.

She worked this video. The breakdown>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

She fucking slayed in heels..the look was perfect..she is a good performer.

But I'll still shade her. :coffee:

Not only her best vocal ever, but also my favorite

video of her's. Do ya thing, pregnant Jennny Lo!

The Tavares sample (those sexy HORNS!), the black white and silver imagery, the dapper and funky background singers,

Jennifer's passionate, hyped and dare I say mildly powerful vocals...everything was a SMASH success

with this song/video. I was a HATER of Jennifer, but I just could not deny her swagger in this one. Still bump it regularly.

On The 6 & J.Lo - crappy albums but great singles. the singles from of these albums have truly stood the test of time imo. People still love If You Had My Love, Waiting For Tonight and Love Don't Cost A Thing. I think singles wise the ones from these two are her strongest.

This Is Me...Then - my favourite J.Lo album. I must have listened to this album hundreds of time in a row. I'm sure I bought it twice lol. I really think it's a great solid album. All I Have is everything!!! I think this was J.Lo at her peak tbh. She had EVERYTHING going for her this era. The media fucking loved her and wouldn't shut up about her. Jenny From The Block was a nice lead single. Everybody remembers that song and I remember everybody singing it lol. Still is a great opener. It's a fun song to groove too. Loving You - a song that uses a saturated sample but it works. It's a cute song. Someone singing in the back on the chorus sounds familiar...it sounds like Nivea. Anyhoo this song is dope. I'm Glad was a HAWT song! I fucking loved the video to this. It was sexy and my god the 'Flashdance' move was AWESOME!! The music to it is too good. The One - another overused sample lol. I loved it though. I could just imagine her singing it to Ben. Dear Ben - sweet. All I Have - one of the best songs released that year. The chemistry between LL and J.Lo was so hot and believable. The video was brilliant. A simple beautiful song. Again is a nice song. It takes too long to start though imo. The song makes me sad though. You Belong to Me - I like this song for the simple fact that Jen finally brought back some of her 'latino'-ness into her music. I've Been Thinking - cute. Baby I Love U - dope and with an even doper remix. The One v2 - better than the 1st imo. Overall this album is extremely solid and I'd even say it's her best. Not one song disappointed me. I think it worked because the lyrics were so believable simply because of her relationship with Ben. Everytime I listen to the album I'm reminded of their relationship

Rebirth - I actually like this album! I thought it was really good. I think it's actually quite underrated too tbh. Get Right was a pretty great single to start with imo. The annoying horn worked. The hook was hot. The video was awesome! It was a great start to an era. Why it all went wrong after that? The 2nd single was lame as fuck. Hold You Down is one of the shittest songs I have EVER heard. Anyway Step Into My World was dope. I loved that. I think it was my favourite song that year tbh. Whatever You Wanna Do was funky. I enjoyed that a lot! Cherry Pie is cute. It's cheesy but it works. It's got that light bubblegum pop to it that her earlier J.Lo stuff did. I Got You should have been the 2nd single imo. It's a hot summery love song. It was catchy and memorable. Still Around - it's clear this was an ode to Still from the previous album lol. I like it. Ryde or Die - Brandy's version >>>>. I, Love - this sounds like a Janet song tbh lol. He'll Be Back - another hot song. The production was brilliant...you can instantly tell it's a Timbaland song lol. This Is Me - I thought this was rather epic at the time. It showed that Jennifer can actually sing pretty well in the same way Madonna can on Take A Bow.

Brave - not worth talking about

Love? - some really good songs on this actually. I won't go through each one because tbh I haven't given it a proper listen but I remember liking the whole album when I first heard it. It's definitely better than Brave.

One thing I like about J.Lo is that no one can say she's 'following the trends' because she always made music for it's time and it works for her.

• Upvote 1

Jennifer's rise to fame would be a good read or movie. She worked real hard to get where she's at. American Idol really catapulted her right back in the upper echelons of the A-List.

With that being said, I don't care to much for her discography..aside from her earlier work, the latter part of her music career doesn't pale in comparison. Like the Musical God TE mentioned, most of her lead singles were pretty damn good. But she's not an albums artist imo.

My fave video from her is "Get Right". I remember moving to SC in 2005 and hearing the song on the radio. The horn loop was quite annoying, but it was addicting as well. I think video-wise, it was her shining moment. The fashion was on point and I loved that she played different characters. The choreography was really good. I love it! Oh, but I hated the remix with Fabulous on it..yuck.

She worked this video. The breakdown>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

She fucking slayed in heels..the look was perfect..she is a good performer.

But I'll still shade her. :coffee:

I'm completely finished with u :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Not only her best vocal ever, but also my favorite

video of her's. Do ya thing, pregnant Jennny Lo!

The Tavares sample (those sexy HORNS!), the black white and silver imagery, the dapper and funky background singers,

Jennifer's passionate, hyped and dare I say mildly powerful vocals...everything was a SMASH success

with this song/video. I was a HATER of Jennifer, but I just could not deny her swagger in this one. Still bump it regularly.

I'll honestly call that her best English vocal song, and def 1 of her best videos.

she can hold a tune. she make some awesome music. her albums are kinda meh. Like Janet, I appreciate that she doesn't give lazy performances. And she is absolutely cute and gorgeous its ridiculous.

:thumbup:

VERY true, I'd LOVE a Janet/J.Lo duet and video and at least 1 MIND BLOWING performance. like you got the hood chicks saying "Janet need to work with Ciara" I would SOOOO welcome a (official) Janet & J.Lo song/single before a Janet & Ciara. Especially as a lead single. Like On the floor would've been a awsome duet, same with Get Right.