The Janet Jackson Sales Thread

Mr. Wonder

lol I always thought you sort of guessed that she sold 140m and threw it out there for the uneducated. It's cool to know that it's an educated guess.

Really wish her albums weren't so undercertified, but at the end of the day she gets just as much respect as Madonna, Whitney and Mariah among those in the know (more than Mariah really), so it doesn't matter too much.

lol I always thought you sort of guessed that she sold 140m and threw it out there for the uneducated. It's cool to know that it's an educated guess.

Really wish her albums weren't so undercertified, but at the end of the day she gets just as much respect as Madonna, Whitney and Mariah among those in the know (more than Mariah really), so it doesn't matter too much.

Oh no. :lol: After all the searching I did, and the estimations I saw, I came up with the figure, and included the sales from the press releases. So the 140mil is definitely more a more likely figure.

• 1 month later...

Could it be the total digital sales of the album since that iTunes deal started :unsure:. That in itself would add another gold certification to the album as well as a soon to be platinum one. I swear that album should be diamond overall by now :rolleyes:

Could it be the total digital sales of the album since that iTunes deal started :unsure:. That in itself would add another gold certification to the album as well as a soon to be platinum one. I swear that album should be diamond overall by now :rolleyes:

Physical and digital sales can't be combined because they are counted differently.

Physical and digital sales can't be combined because they are counted differently.

Really? But doesn't Billboard count them together? So 300,000 digital sales and 200,000 physical sales doesn't = a gold record?

Really? But doesn't Billboard count them together? So 300,000 digital sales and 200,000 physical sales doesn't = a gold record?

Nielsen sales figures don't really = RIAA certifications, since RIAA is based on shipments and not sales.

But from my understanding, digital music providers, like iTunes, also order "shipments" of how many units of albums they can sell. So they should be combined with physical sales/shipments...

What do you mean by "shipments?"

"Shipments" refers to recorded music products sold by the music companies net of returns (including digital products). This does not indicate the exact amount of product sold to final consumers, as changes in retailer inventory levels can affect shipments. For point-of-sale data, we refer you to Nielsen SoundScan (www.soundscan.com).

http://www.riaa.com/keystatistics.php?content_selector=research-shipment-database-faq

:unsure:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...