The Janet Jackson Sales Thread

Mr. Wonder

That album just continues to slay my life, and the world. How are RN & Control tied, no offense to Control, but I'd think with the kind of success that ear had it'd be on the hills of janet. (tho era wise I guess it should be bigger than janet. since it had more successful singles) rather than always so close to Control. I never quite got that, like right off the bat if Control got 14mil (which I think is appropriate, tho it's been that number for a while) I'd assume RN would be around 18mil because of the success and stats that album got, and continues to get.

I care :(. When did Soundscan start?

soundscan began in 1991 after Control and after RN had sold most of it's copies....in order to have accurate sales figures for Janet's career we would need recertifications of her earlier albums sales problem is that will cost money with no money to be gained.

soundscan began in 1991 after Control and after RN had sold most of it's copies....in order to have accurate sales figures for Janet's career we would need recertifications of her earlier albums sales problem is that will cost money with no money to be gained.

So how did they track shit then?

Previously, Billboard tracked sales by calling stores across the U.S. and asking about sales - a method that was inherently error-prone and open to outright fraud. Indeed, while transitioning from the calling to tracking methods, the airplay and sales charts (already monitored by Nielsen) and the Hot 100 (then still using the calling system) often did not match (for instance Paula Abdul's Promise of a New Day and Roxette's Fading Like a Flower reached much higher Hot 100 peaks than their actual sales and airplay would have allowed them to).[4]

The Recording Industry Association of America also tracks sales (or more specifically, shipments minus potential returns) on a long-term basis through the RIAA certification system; it has never used either Nielsen SoundScan or the store-calling method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundScan

Possibly. The known figures put it just under 8 million. A lot of the albums that have scanned 7 million+ are certified 10x platinum like Mariah's "Music Box". "janet." could be diamond.

back then music CDs got thru music clubs were not counted either, and Janet moved many copies of DOAD and other albums thru those music clubs