The Janet Jackson Sales Thread

Mr. Wonder

Exactly but in the states it was the first "introduction" of her new era becuz it was a video. Radio spins and the video made it appear to be the first single and ppl weren't ready for "deep/eccentric" Janet. Ppl didn't start to catch on til Together Again.. and then the interest of the project grew once ppl started to get what kinda album this was. A deep relatable masterpiece that made you wanna do more than just dance on the floor

I found it all while waiting in the airport for a flight I was 4 hours early for a few years back. The opening sales for albums in the 80s was often low. Albums back then would ascend the chart to #1, rather than just debuting at #1.

Control debuting at #102 and peaking at #1 >>>>

Exactly but in the states it was the first "introduction" of her new era becuz it was a video. Radio spins and the video made it appear to be the first single and ppl weren't ready for "deep/eccentric" Janet. Ppl didn't start to catch on til Together Again.. and then the interest of the project grew once ppl started to get what kinda album this was. A deep relatable masterpiece that made you wanna do more than just dance on the floor

No lies posted

I guess TA was the first single.. followed by IGL... two singles boosted her sales to 4Million... GTIG, Go Deep, & Every Time didn't reach Billboard 100..

IGL should have been #1

dang...I never knew none of that stuff. I guess I thought got til its gon was a hit cause I loved it lol...still a hit in my book I guess

Nope. It wasn't released commercially either. TA saved the album..IGL was a hit..and of course the tour kept selling the album.

• Upvote 1

that tour was everything...how could it not sell the album?

Well Janet was on some other shit during TVR era. I was only 18 when it came out and it completely went over my head. Since she's the best at performing, it was bound to sell, even if people couldn't relate to what she was talking about.

Although, when I was in the military, this one straight boy said he loved "What About" because Janet was angry..and he said she killed the VH1 fashion show performance of the song.