The Janet Jackson Sales Thread

Mr. Wonder

following Janet's numbers is tough because Control and RN preceded the soundscan era.   Most of Janet's numbers need to be recertified, but because the only gain in doing so is bragging rights it doesnt make money to go back and do it, she got paid well for what she did, in order to update numbers research time and money need to be spent

13 hours ago, Bailey. said:

following Janet's numbers is tough because Control and RN preceded the soundscan era.   Most of Janet's numbers need to be recertified, but because the only gain in doing so is bragging rights it doesnt make money to go back and do it, she got paid well for what she did, in order to update numbers research time and money need to be spent

Well EW.com wrote back in 2014 for the 25yr Rhythm Nation anniversary that the album sold 20 million. EW has never been known to lie.

http://ew.com/article/2014/09/19/janet-jackson-rhythm-nation-1814-25th-anniversary/

6 hours ago, wayneashleymusic said:

RhythmNationUSA liked my tweet when I brought up RIAA recertifications, and the possibility that janet. could qualify for Diamond. So we know they are paying attention. 

RN1814 could also be diamond, if this article is true:

"Janet Jackson's last two A&M albums sold more than 14 million copies in the U.S. alone. "Rhythm Nation 1814," released late in 1989, contained five Top 5 singles, four of which rose to No. 1 on the pop charts." 

March 12, 1991  

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-03-12/entertainment/ca-335_1_michael-jackson 

By this time Control had already been certified 5x platinum. So that leaves 9 million RN1814.

This is believable because, serendipitously, the same day, the NY Times published this article:

""Control," released in 1986, sold more than five million copies in the United States. "Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation," released in 1989, recently passed the six million mark in sales in this country." 

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/12/arts/janet-jackson-signs-lucrative-contract.html 

This is about two weeks before Soundscan started counting physical sales. RN1814 was only certified 5x platinum at this point. The next certification didn't occur until late 1992. So everything Soundscan has reported for RN1814 can be added separately from the certification. 6 million + 1.3 mil (Soundscan) + 1.1 mil (Sony BMG) = ~8.5 million. Add in other music clubs and shipments, I would think it's eligible for 9x platinum at least, diamond possibly. And then add Track Equivalent Albums (TEAs) and Sales Equivalent Albums (SEAs), it's not unlikely RN1814 is diamond as well.

• 8 months later...

10 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

But aren't these old numbers?

Wikipedia and other sources has said that Damita Jo sold nearly 4 million copies for YEARS.

9 million copies for All For You seem legit, although I wouldn't be surprised if those sales have past the 10 million mark.

1 hour ago, Jakob said:

But aren't these old numbers?

Wikipedia and other sources has said that Damita Jo sold nearly 4 million copies for YEARS.

9 million copies for All For You seem legit, although I wouldn't be surprised if those sales have past the 10 million mark.

The Damita Jo one seems more of a US sales number. I believe AFY sold over 10 million but the Madonna stans keep editing Janet's numbers down on wikipedia. Some of them work in wikipedia. I remember they edited the "janet." album back down to 14 million worldwide and I went back to edit it to 20 million with the link and receipt to Virgin's site saying themselves that the album sold over 20 million but they still put it back down to 14.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Wonder said:

"ALL FOR YOU was Janet’s fifth consecutive album to debut at #1, with more than seven million in worldwide sales."

https://www.janetjackson.com/news/live/janet-jacksons-greatest-hits-celebrated-on-number-ones#.XGxfYfrQjIU

We are not about to do this today.

Yeah, and those numbers are now 10 years old plus they haven't been updated in a long long time. 🙄

7 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

It's 7 million until Janet's team/label says otherwise. There's no need to fabricate or inflate. 

that was a whole decade ago. Let's not. There's a reason why her sales jumped from 100 million to 160 million when BMG announced it back in 2015. That plaque also has a COA so I highly doubt it's fake.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Illi said:

But nobody was fabricating here. Joe Joe simply found some to bite on. If you don't find it credible, fair enough.

It's fabricating, and it's annoying. There's no need to inflate sales. 

8 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

that was a whole decade ago. Let's not. There's a reason why her sales jumped from 100 million to 160 million when BMG announced it back in 2015. That plaque also has a COA so I highly doubt it's fake.

It's 7 million. Janet's team confirmed it. Leave it at that.