The Janet Jackson Sales Thread

Mr. Wonder

Was TAT a single?

Didn't Virgin fuck up the AFY era?

The success or potential maximum potential of what you thought AFY could reach has nothing to do withe the Superbowl incident.Those are two totally unrelated things.

I know that....perhaps you didn't understand what I was saying. lol

So TAT was not a single? Okay.

FTW. B)

So Virgin did fuck up the AFY era? Okay.

Snatched out the game yet again. B)

I know what you said. it was just stupid. then again...look who I'm talking too. :wub:

No, you didn't understand what I meant. You misunderstood. Now you attempt to call me stupid when you're the one looking dumb as hell...

The girls...when will they learn? :sigh:

Then explain again what you were tryna say. I was just messing with you. :lmao:

:rolleyes:

Whether TAT was single material or not (Austineisha :rolleyes: ), had Virgin handled the AFY era better...the hit Janet's career took and the opposition she faced in the industry during the SB wouldn't have been so impactful upon the last few eras.

It was a big era for Janet, but it could have been even bigger...her "Emancipation of Mimi", which would have put her in a better place in the industry when the fallout from the SB happened.

That's just my personal opinion, and what happened to Janet was unprecedented especially considering the type of success AFY did have, but again...that's just my opinion.

:rolleyes:

Whether or not TAT was single material or not (Austineisha :rolleyes: ), had Virgin handled the AFY era better...the hit Janet's career took and the opposition she faced in the industry during the SB wouldn't have been so impactful upon the last few eras.

It was a big era for Janet, but it could have been even bigger...her "Emancipation of Mimi", which would have put her in a better place in the industry when the fallout from the SB happened.

That's just my personal opinion, and what happened to Janet was unprecedented especially considering the type of success AFY did have, but again...that's just my opinion.

What would you have changed? AFY & Someone to Call My Lover started off the era pretty strong. How many singles & in what order would you have released them?

What would you have changed? AFY & Someone to Call My Lover started off the era pretty strong. How many singles & in what order would you have released them?

Well I don't know if you remember that time, but the momentum was really gone from the project by the time SOAG was released...and it wasn't because that single "wasn't single material".

It was mostly because of the AFY and STCML singles and how they were handled. Yes, AFY is one of Janet's biggest singles (I think second only to TTWLG as Janet's biggest hits) but Virgin really didn't handle STCML properly. Even though it peaked in the top 10. It could have EASILY been #1 for Janet, but the label waited A LONG time after AFY's peak to release STCML, and then they took even longer to release a commercial single...and by the time it was released, STCML had peaked at radio and the chance to get it to #1 had passed.

Then they basically ended the era after SOAG and focused almost exclusively on Mariah. Nothing against Mariah, Virgin had signed her to a $100 million dollar contract and the stakes were high...but it was really unfair to Janet, the AFY era and the potential that it had.

So my criticism isn't particularly concerning TAT or other potential singles...it concerns what Virgin did during that era and how they handled the situation as it was.

Alot of fans look back at the period as a good time in Janet's career (and it WAS, especially considering what followed), but alot of fans were VERY frustrated with Virgin at that time...

!!! Regardless of how successful AFY was, Superbowl was bound to be the downfall. If DJ had better music, it wouldn't have been as bad.

Exactly...and let's not forget about Control, Rhythm Nation 1814 and janet. didn't stop the backlash from the SB and those are what made Janet who she is. Everything relied on the DJ era...sadly not only did the era start too soon, but it quickly ended after 100K performances of "All Nite (Don't Stop)" -_-

Exactly...and let's not forget about Control, Rhythm Nation 1814 and janet. didn't stop the backlash from the SB and those are what made Janet who she is. Everything relied on the DJ era...sadly not only did the era start too soon, but it quickly ended after 100K performances of "All Nite (Don't Stop)" -_-

Those three along with TVR are Janet's career defining albums. AFY was just the nail on the coffin that solidified her status. TOF has no clue what he's talking about. In order for an album to be great, it needs to have great singles and great album tracks. TAT is one of the strongest album tracks on AFY, and it needed to stay that way or AFY would've been an album of singles. SMH @ TOF thinking that's okay. If that were the case AFY would've been no better than Good Girl Gone Bad. :sigh: YAR, TAT, Truth, FSR, WYM, and maybe CL are the best album tracks on AFY. Take away the singles, and you still have a decent album.

DJ, even if Superbowl didn't happen, was only gonna sell like 5 million max. There was no massive hit on the album. The fact that it did 3 million with no hits or a tour is nothing short of a miracle.

Those three along with TVR are Janet's career defining albums. AFY was just the nail on the coffin that solidified her status. TOF has no clue what he's talking about. In order for an album to be great, it needs to have great singles and great album tracks. TAT is one of the strongest album tracks on AFY, and it needed to stay that way or AFY would've been an album of singles. SMH @ TOF thinking that's okay. If that were the case AFY would've been no better than Good Girl Gone Bad. :sigh: YAR, TAT, Truth, FSR, WYM, and maybe CL are the best album tracks on AFY. Take away the singles, and you still have a decent album.

DJ, even if Superbowl didn't happen, was only gonna sell like 5 million max. There was no massive hit on the album. The fact that it did 3 million with no hits or a tour is nothing short of a miracle.

I didn't add TVR due to sales, but quality-wise, it gave Janet crazy respect. She should have did a second sex video with "WYM" :shifty:

Speak -_-

I didn't add TVR due to sales, but quality-wise, it gave Janet crazy respect. She should have did a second sex video with "WYM" :shifty:

Speak -_-

TVR is one of the more important Janet albums in the Landmark 4. It proceeds janet., but sits behind Control and RN1814. The sales were decent - 10 million+ WW - thanks to TA and the tour saving the album from flopping. And I think the HBO WYM was enough. It set the trend that now the other girls, and some boys, follow. 23j6ffd.gif

TVR is one of the more important Janet albums in the Landmark 4. It proceeds janet., but sits behind Control and RN1814. The sales were decent - 10 million+ WW - thanks to TA and the tour saving the album from flopping. And I think the HBO WYM was enough. It set the trend that now the other girls, and some boys, follow. 23j6ffd.gif

That performance wasn't enough :rolleyes: She could have done a video for it just for the tour DVD -_- They stay driving down Janet's Goddess path -_-