The Official Madonna Thread

TwistedElegance™

Madonna criticized over album name

Madonna's new album M.D.N.A. has sparked controversy months before its release after health campaigners criticized the star for using a name similar to drug MDMA.

The Material Girl revealed her 12th studio record's title on Wednesday, but just hours after the album name's unveiling, the star has been accused of popularising drug culture.

The album's title is believed to be an abbreviation of Madonna's name, but sounds similar to MDMA, a narcotic also known as Ecstasy.

Lucy Dawe of campaigner group Cannabis Skunk Sense tells Britain's The Sun, "It's an ill-advised decision."

M.D.N.A is set for a March release, but the pop superstar has admitted she fully expects it to leak before then.

In a pre-taped TV interview with Irish host Graham Norton, which will air in Britain on Friday (13Jan12), she says, "It depends how quickly people hack in to my server and leak it. Can people wait?"

----

This bitch. :lol: Always with the "controversy". :lol:

I'm sure most of you know by now, but you can find the demo of 'Turn Up the Radio' on YouTube.

Matt, I meant to say earlier that I really like that cover of 'Holiday' you posted. It'd be refreshing to see Madonna perform a similar mix.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure most of you know by now, but you can find the demo of 'Turn Up the Radio' on YouTube.

Matt, I meant to say earlier that I really like that cover of 'Holiday' you posted. It'd be refreshing to see Madonna perform a similar mix.

I didn't know, but I try to avoid demos if I can. >_<

I love it, too. That's a great idea. She usually switches things up on tour so hopefully she's heard it. :wub:

• Upvote 1

Madonna on 'Born This Way': 'Interesting' Redo of 'My Song'

When Lady Gaga debuted "Born This Way," many commenters noticed striking similarities to Madonna's 1989 hit "Express Yourself." Now the Material Girl herself has weighed in, telling Newsweek the critics weren't alone.

"I thought, 'What a wonderful way to redo my song,'" she told the magazine for a profile set to run on Jan. 30. "I mean, I recognized the chord changes. I thought it was… interesting."

Madonna also talked Gaga in an interview for "The Graham Norton Show" set to air on the BBC Friday.

"When I first saw her [Gaga] I was really impressed by her and she was cool. She did remind me of me back in the day," she said. "I do think she is very talented."

As previously reported, Madonna's next album, "M.D.N.A.," is expected in March. The pop icon is set to perform the M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj-aided lead single "Gimme All Your Luvin,'" among other songs, at the Super Bowl halftime show on Feb. 5.

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/madonna-on-born-this-way-interesting-redo-1005865552.story

----

mbiv0w.gif

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the album should be out on March 12.

But back to GaGa:

Madonna Breaks Silence on Gaga ‘Born This Way’ Controversy; ’20/20′ Exclusive Tonight

By Alice Gomstyn

Jan 13, 2012 6:30am

Nearly a year after Lady Gaga released her hit single “Born This Way,” Madonna is finally offering her take on the song … and it’s not exactly enthusiastic.

Gaga has long expressed her admiration for Madonna, calling the pop icon an inspiration. Comparisons between the two divas have been inevitable, from their dance-hall beats to their risque musical treatment of sex and religion. The two even teamed up for a “catfight” skit on “Saturday Night Live” in 2010.

But last February’s release of “Born This Way” had many questioning whether the Mama Monster had gone too far in emulating her idol. The song, critics charged, was stunningly similar to Madonna’s 1989 chart-topper, “Express Yourself.”

Gaga would go on to say that she got an e-mail from Madonna’s “people” saying they supported the song, but a representative for Madonna later said she was unaware of any such e-mail. KI.

When ABC News asked viewers to contribute questions for Cynthia McFadden’s interview with Madonna, the most popular request by far was that McFadden find out how the singer feels about Gaga.

McFadden did, starting with the question of whether Madonna felt Gaga was “copying” her. The pop singer’s response, at first, was complimentary. She called Gaga “a very talented artist” and said she admired her songwriting. But she owned up to the connection between Gaga’s music and her own.

“I certainly think she references me a lot in her work. And sometimes I think it’s amusing and flattering and well done,” she said.

Madonna said sometimes Gaga’s work also appears to be a “statement about taking something that was in the Zeitgeist, you know, 20 years ago and turning it inside out and reinterpreting it.”

“There’s a lot of ways to look at it. I can’t really be annoyed by it …because, obviously, I’ve influenced her.”

But the Material Girl became coy when the conversation turned to “Born This Way.”

“When I heard it on the radio …I said that sounds very familiar,” Madonna said.

Asked if that felt annoying, Madonna responded, “It felt reductive.”

Pressed as to whether that was a good or bad thing, Madonna told Cynthia McFadden to “look it up” — we did; the term means “minimal” or “crude” — before smiling slyly and taking a sip from her tea cup.

Link

Part one of the interview:

The second part was (will be?) on GMA this morning, and the final segment will air on 20/20 tonight.

“I certainly think she references me a lot in her work. And sometimes I think it’s amusing and flattering and well done,” she said.

Madonna said sometimes Gaga’s work also appears to be a “statement about taking something that was in the Zeitgeist, you know, 20 years ago and turning it inside out and reinterpreting it.”

“There’s a lot of ways to look at it. I can’t really be annoyed by it …because, obviously, I’ve influenced her.”

But the Material Girl became coy when the conversation turned to “Born This Way.”

“When I heard it on the radio …I said that sounds very familiar,” Madonna said.

Pressed as to whether that was a good or bad thing, Madonna told Cynthia McFadden to “look it up” — we did; the term means “minimal” or “crude” — before smiling slyly and taking a sip from her tea cup.

tumblr_lt6cm9ZDt41qlsdsoo1_500.gif

And:

reduction (rɪˈdʌkʃən) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n

1. the act or process or an instance of reducing

2. the state or condition of being reduced

3. the amount by which something is reduced

4. a form of an original resulting from a reducing process, such as a copy on a smaller scale

5. a simplified form, such as an orchestral score arranged for piano

This bitch. :lol:

And:

reduction (rɪˈdʌkʃən) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n

1. the act or process or an instance of reducing

2. the state or condition of being reduced

3. the amount by which something is reduced

4. a form of an original resulting from a reducing process, such as a copy on a smaller scale

5. a simplified form, such as an orchestral score arranged for piano

This bitch. :lol:

Her shade is sooooooo lethal.. :lmao::lmao: Can't hate on her ass..she is brilliant. :lmao:

I am just waiting for the SB talk and mention of Janet....I just don't see it NOT happening

i dont see Madonna shading Janet, Madonna will more than likely shade America for being so ridiculous about it. If anybody is gonna /shade Janet its going to be declining Entertainment Magazines that want and need attention.