The Official Madonna Thread

TwistedElegance™

Madonna looked exactly the same if not better on live television. Those screencaps were obviously doctored by some pathetic munster :coffee:

When I saw her in person up close she looked really good, I was surprised she just didn't look like the media tries to make it out to be.

where is the stage pics? I also have to decide now if I am going back on my promise to never pay to see this bitch again or if Im going to book a flight on American Airlines and stay at the Renaissance off the loop and go to Chicago to see this bitch....I swear so many things to deal with :coffee:

It's grown on me but there's still a few songs I can't get into. I always skip "Survival", "I'd Rather Be Your Lover" and "Don't Stop".

Those lyrics are dreadful. I love the beat but i skip it more often than not because of that >_<

Bedtime Story though is RAD :wub: Bjork :wub:

where is the stage pics? I also have to decide now if I am going back on my promise to never pay to see this bitch again or if Im going to book a flight on American Airlines and stay at the Renaissance off the loop and go to Chicago to see this bitch....I swear so many things to deal with :coffee:

Boy you better take megabus lol chicago aint that far

Why did they stop it? What,unfair? :unsure:

They said it was forcing people to buy the cd if they didn't want it..

It's a long read...

Prince CD Sparks Debate

May 08, 2004

Prince CD Sparks Debate

Concert Premiums Counted For Chart

BY ED CHRISTMAN AND GEOFF MAYFIELD

http://www.billboard.com/...1000500662

Instead of "Musicology," Prince should have gone back into his catalog and named his new album "Controversy."

That is what he is once again stirring up as he distributes "Musicology" free to fans at his shows. Nielsen SoundScan is counting those copies as sales.

Of the 191,000 copies of "Musicology" Nielsen SoundScan tracked for the week ending April 18, 12,600—6%—were counted from his April 21 concert in Columbia, S.C. The album hit No. 3 on The Billboard 200.

Even factoring out the concert CDs, Prince would have achieved that chart position.

While Nielsen SoundScan has traditionally captured sales at concerts, it usually does so by counting albums sold at merchandising tables. This is the first time it has counted sales where a concert attendee gets an album as part of the ticket price.

Every show on the Prince tour, which opened in March and is expected to last until August, will likely see copies of "Musicology" distributed to attendees. To date, 250,000 copies have been distributed during the tour, reports L. Londell McMillan, Prince's attorney.

CHALLENGING THE STATUS QUO

From McMillan's point of view, Nielsen SoundScan's first-week sales should have included all the albums distributed through the tour so far.

With this distribution method, Prince "is challenging the status quo," McMillan says.

While Prince is applauded for using that unique channel, label sales and distribution executives appear split on whether the sales should be included in Nielsen SoundScan totals.

"I am violently against this," one senior distribution executive says. "This is worse than 49 cent singles. The charts are supposed to represent what consumers are spending money on. With the Prince album, there is no choice."

Another distribution executive says, "It's opening Pandora's box. It will be one more way for record companies to have to spend too much money in an attempt to influence a chart, and you can imagine that everyone will dive in and have a CD with a purchase of everything, let alone concert tickets."

But Phil Quartararo, executive VP of EMI Recorded Music North America, disagrees, saying Prince's concert sales should absolutely be counted.

"A sale is a sale," he says. "Our job is to put music in the consumers' hands, when, where and how they want it. The music company of the future has to be able to sell through conventional means as well as nontraditional ways."

Sony Music Entertainment distributes the new album. In a statement, the company said, "To ensure that SoundScan numbers accurately reflect the realities of the marketplace, it makes sense that sales of 'Musicology' generated through ticket buys are included in their tally."

Nielsen SoundScan CEO Rob Sisco wonders what all the fuss is about.

He asks how the company could not count the concert sales. "The manufacturer was paid by the promoter, who is reselling the merchandise to the consumer," he says. "Given that there is a sale . . . with the album ending up in the hands of the consumer, and we can confirm this, we feel we should count the sales."

Sisco notes that Prince's approach is new and carries a certain degree of controversy.

"This is an ongoing process," he says. "Our goal is to count every possible legitimate music sale but at the same time to engage in an open dialogue with the music industry on how best to accomplish that."

PRINCE SETS PACE

Meanwhile, Prince's "Musicology" move is already being duplicated.

According to a press release, Virgin Records, Clear Channel Entertainment and PromoWest will allow fans in select markets on the band Gomez's tour to "opt in" and buy the band's new album.

Label executives, unaware of the Gomez offer, say they would support concert sales with an opt-in choice being counted toward the charts.

In the Gomez offer, fans can either buy a ticket to the show or pay $10 more to purchase a package that includes its "Split the Difference" album and exclusive downloads from the concert they attend.

The album can be picked up at the merchandising table at the show by presenting a special ticket, while an e-mail will provide the bonus download URL within two weeks after the concert.

While many executives worry that bundling CDs with concert tickets will play havoc with the charts, the question remains, How many artists ultimately can afford to follow Prince's example?

NEW TRICK FOR OLD ACTS

Label executives mainly see heritage acts as being able to afford to duplicate the Prince strategy. In fact, some label executives already report that managers of such bands are fascinated by the concept.

"Take this to its logical conclusion: A dinosaur act that no longer sells records but does great live business can do a stadium tour over the summer and dominate The Billboard 200," one label executive says.

But some label executives are looking beyond the impact of the chart and see the strategy as a legitimate marketing tool to reach any act's core fan base.

"Would an older, financially secure fan—who doesn't get out to record stores as much and is not aware of whether his favorite band has a new album out—purchase that album if they were given the chance at the time that they bought a concert ticket for that artist?" one label executive asks.

That executive says the answer is yes, and going forward, all heritage acts should consider this possibility.

Sony Music is thinking along those lines too in marketing "Musicology."

This tactic gives "fans who attend Prince's concerts . . . immediate access to the new album, which will build word-of-mouth about the album, drive sales at retail and further the relationship between this extraordinary artist and his fans," the company said in a statement.

The debut week for "Musicology" represents Prince's largest sales week—191,000 copies—since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales in 1991. His previous best SoundScan week was set in that same year, when his album with the New Power Generation, "Diamonds and Pearls," bowed at No. 5 with 172,000 copies.

While "Musicology" has a larger opening week than the 1999 album "Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic," Prince's last collection of new material to be distributed through a major label, the markets where his current tour has already played contribute less to the new album's first-week sales than they did to the first week for "Rave."

Collectively, the 18 markets that Prince played from March 29 through April 25 accounted for 19.7% of first-week sales for "Rave" five years ago.

This time, those same markets account for 15.4% of the new album's overall total (including CDs distributed at his show in Columbia, S.C.) and 16.5% of almost 179,000 copies that were sold in stores or online.

In all, there have been more market drivers in play for the new album than there have been for any Prince album in the past decade. The once-reclusive artist has also been more visible this year than he has been in some time.

Additional reporting by Keith Caufield in Los Angeles.

© 2004 VNU eMedia Inc. All rights reserved.

Oh right. Stoopid commercial :rolleyes:. I'm not bothering with the album. I've never bought a Madonna album except for the Celebration one.

but you bought a ticket to see her? Well she starts her tour there first this time and comes to America much later in the year. I am still debating this one, cause the Janet shade threw me off. I checked the charts her song is at #13 on BB Hot 100 and #5 on Itunes, it's doing okay but with a distribution deal with Clear channel guaranteeing spins that's kinda dishonest

but you bought a ticket to see her? Well she starts her tour there first this time and comes to America much later in the year. I am still debating this one, cause the Janet shade threw me off. I checked the charts her song is at #13 on BB Hot 100 and #5 on Itunes, it's doing okay but with a distribution deal with Clear channel guaranteeing spins that's kinda dishonest

i can get her music for free. I can't see her live for free. Youtube isn't good enough. Hell after MJ died I'm getting me a ticket to all the fucking legends out there so I have no regrets later like I do MJ.

i can get her music for free. I can't see her live for free. Youtube isn't good enough. Hell after MJ died I'm getting me a ticket to all the fucking legends out there so I have no regrets later like I do MJ.

I understand BU, I must say Madonna does it up if you're sitting close you should enjoy it, I wonder what the setlist is, with her she has so many hits, and so many different ways to arrange them that you never know what to expect.