Your fave alternate vocal remixes

jarrylf

Listening to my MJB playlist, Im sitting back and grooving to all 3 versions of her song Everything, got me thinking about how much I LOVE & respect when a artist does this, go back & record a completely different version of 1 song. I call Mary & Mariah the Queens of this, because both have 3 versions of several of their songs, but both havent really done it since 2000, but Mariah's getting back in it. What are some of your fave alternate vocal remixes from some of your fave artists, and what's your fave version?

I had planned on using the 3 Together Agains as my example but Youtube's being an asshole and does not have ANY of the deeper remix, so I'll move to my 2nd fave female vocalist Mariah

(my fave version)

#3 The Morales alternate vocal remix

http://youtu.be/WTHeoqHouOU?t=2s

Yeah in this topic, I just have to have a special paragraph solely to Mariah. She just has SOOO many great ones from the first one "Dreamlover (Def Club Mix)" up to the "H.A.T.E.U. (Remix)." The genius behind "Dreamlover" is that the lyrics are the same yet the musical style has been completely reinvented. Big props to David Morales as well!

* Top 5 re-recorded dance mixes: 1. Dreamlover, 2. Honey, 3. Anytime You Need A Friend, 4. Fantasy, 5. Heartbreaker/If You Should Ever Be Lonely

* Top 5 re-recorded R&B/hip-hop remixes: 1. Always Be My Baby, 2. My All/Stay Awhile, 3. Heartbreaker, 4. H.A.T.E.U., 5. Thank God I Found You/Make It Last

And several more from my other favorite artists... (no order)

* Janet ~ "Escapade (Housecapade Dub)": the 1st verse is different vocals. It counts in my book lol. Of course the "Together Again" remixes deserve mention too! ^_^

* SWV ~ "Right Here (Human Nature Remix)": Outside MC, this is my favorite re-recorded remix. :D Out of all the girl groups, TLC is my favorite overall, En Vogue is my favorite vocally, but when it comes to remixes SWV is my favorite.

* Prince & The Revolution ~ "I Would Die 4 U (Extended Version)": the arrangement is actually very different from the album version. Also counts in my book.

* Luther Vandross ~ "Power of Love/Love Power (Frank Knuckles Remix)"

* Mary J. Blige ~ "Love No Limit (Remix)": Great sample of the Mary Jane Girls here. I haven't heard the remix of "Everything," I'll have to give it a listen!

* R. Kelly ~ "Bump 'N Grind (Remix)": I'd actually say he's the king of remixes, while Mariah's the queen of them.

* MoKenstef ~ "I Got Him All The Time (Big Ham Remix)"

* Common ~ "The Light (Remix 4 U)": More laidback version. Oh yeah, the "Come Close (Remix)" was good too.

• Upvote 2

Yeah in this topic, I just have to have a special paragraph solely to Mariah. She just has SOOO many great ones from the first one "Dreamlover (Def Club Mix)" up to the "H.A.T.E.U. (Remix)." The genius behind "Dreamlover" is that the lyrics are the same yet the musical style has been completely reinvented. Big props to David Morales as well!

* Top 5 re-recorded dance mixes: 1. Dreamlover, 2. Honey, 3. Anytime You Need A Friend, 4. Fantasy, 5. Heartbreaker/If You Should Ever Be Lonely

* Top 5 re-recorded R&B/hip-hop remixes: 1. Always Be My Baby, 2. My All/Stay Awhile, 3. Heartbreaker, 4. H.A.T.E.U., 5. Thank God I Found You/Make It Last

And several more from my other favorite artists... (no order)

* Janet ~ "Escapade (Housecapade Dub)": the 1st verse is different vocals. It counts in my book lol. Of course the "Together Again" remixes deserve mention too! ^_^

* SWV ~ "Right Here (Human Nature Remix)": Outside MC, this is my favorite re-recorded remix. :D Out of all the girl groups, TLC is my favorite overall, En Vogue is my favorite vocally, but when it comes to remixes SWV is my favorite.

* Prince & The Revolution ~ "I Would Die 4 U (Extended Version)": the arrangement is actually very different from the album version. Also counts in my book.

* Luther Vandross ~ "Power of Love/Love Power (Frank Knuckles Remix)"

* Mary J. Blige ~ "Love No Limit (Remix)": Great sample of the Mary Jane Girls here. I haven't heard the remix of "Everything," I'll have to give it a listen!

* R. Kelly ~ "Bump 'N Grind (Remix)": I'd actually say he's the king of remixes, while Mariah's the queen of them.

* MoKenstef ~ "I Got Him All The Time (Big Ham Remix)"

* Common ~ "The Light (Remix 4 U)": More laidback version. Oh yeah, the "Come Close (Remix)" was good too.

YAAAASSS ANDY I WAS WAITING FOR YOU!!! (You were 1 of the main people I made this thread for lol).

We're pretty much on the same page with all the Mariah mixes, I'll go as far to say I prefer the H.A.T.E.U, Heartbreaker, Always Be My Baby (Mr.Dupri Mix) better than the original versions. How do you like the Morales remix of Say Somethin? I LOVE it, I didn't even know about that 1 till months ago.

OH THE BUMP & GRIND REMIX slays, but for me the Your Body's Callin remix SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS MA LIFE IN EVERY WHICH WAY from the opening to the closing, and it's disturbing as hell that he got a 13-14 yr old Aaliyah singin the stuff she is but damn that sounds so damn good.

Yea I HIGHLY recommend the Mary J. alternates, she has a TON, especially for those 1st 3 albums. 1 of my faves is the YouBring me Joy remix ft. MC Lyte, I actually love that 1 more than the original. And yes Sir. Robert is the Kang.

I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY wish Janet hopped on this, and you know what who's to say she hasn't but they just havent come out, I know alot of times these remixes (as with the case of the Together Again Deeper remix) is the 1st recorded version of the song. So for all we know she might have pleanty of alternate mixes hidden away. BUT I wish she released pleanty, like can you imagine "Nasty The slow mix"....lol thatd be a whole notha song lol same for Pleasure Principle lol.

YAAAASSS ANDY I WAS WAITING FOR YOU!!! (You were 1 of the main people I made this thread for lol).

We're pretty much on the same page with all the Mariah mixes, I'll go as far to say I prefer the H.A.T.E.U, Heartbreaker, Always Be My Baby (Mr.Dupri Mix) better than the original versions. How do you like the Morales remix of Say Somethin? I LOVE it, I didn't even know about that 1 till months ago.

OH THE BUMP & GRIND REMIX slays, but for me the Your Body's Callin remix SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS MA LIFE IN EVERY WHICH WAY from the opening to the closing, and it's disturbing as hell that he got a 13-14 yr old Aaliyah singin the stuff she is but damn that sounds so damn good.

Yea I HIGHLY recommend the Mary J. alternates, she has a TON, especially for those 1st 3 albums. 1 of my faves is the YouBring me Joy remix ft. MC Lyte, I actually love that 1 more than the original. And yes Sir. Robert is the Kang.

Yeah pretty much. Well the two "Heartbreaker"'s are about neck-and-neck for me, but at the moment I give the remix the edge. Oh yes "Stay Somethin'" ~ her best dance mix of this millennium! ~ especially for that well-placed whistle "Oh-oh-AH-oh" lol!

Wow, I'm loving the Jazz Mix of "Everything" ~ can't believe I'm just now discovering it! I'll have to browse her the rest of her remixes. I like the "Be Happy" and "Mary Jane (All Night Long)" remixes as well as the What's the 411 remix album.

Yeah, she was on the "Summer Bunnies" remix too - pretty raunchy vid. Good "It's A Shame" sample though!

--------

And I forgot this song from my girl Shanice... :D

"I Wish" (original)

"I Wish (No Strokes Remix)":

I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY wish Janet hopped on this, and you know what who's to say she hasn't but they just havent come out, I know alot of times these remixes (as with the case of the Together Again Deeper remix) is the 1st recorded version of the song. So for all we know she might have pleanty of alternate mixes hidden away. BUT I wish she released pleanty, like can you imagine "Nasty The slow mix"....lol thatd be a whole notha song lol same for Pleasure Principle lol.

Yes, I could totally imagine a quiet storm version of "Nasty"! :lol: And I think I remember TTWLG originally had a different melody before Jimmy Jam told her to go back and change it - I'd still love to hear that. Might even have different vocals too.

Yeah pretty much. Well the two "Heartbreaker"'s are about neck-and-neck for me, but at the moment I give the remix the edge. Oh yes "Stay Somethin'" ~ her best dance mix of this millennium! ~ especially for that well-placed whistle "Oh-oh-AH-oh" lol!

Wow, I'm loving the Jazz Mix of "Everything" ~ can't believe I'm just now discovering it! I'll have to browse her the rest of her remixes. I like the "Be Happy" and "Mary Jane (All Night Long)" remixes as well as the What's the 411 remix album.

Yeah, she was on the "Summer Bunnies" remix too - pretty raunchy vid. Good "It's A Shame" sample though!

Yea man I think HateU is my fave remix of the 00-10 decade. But yea that's my fave part of the say somethin remix.

And yea that Everything remix is MY everything, I LOVE IT to death, it's so smooth the instrumentals kinda gives me a pinch Stevie Wonder

Yes, I could totally imagine a quiet storm version of "Nasty"! :lol: And I think I remember TTWLG originally had a different melody before Jimmy Jam told her to go back and change it - I'd still love to hear that. Might even have different vocals too.

OOOOH I'd love that, I can also imagine If being a "Anytime, Anyplace" type remix too, like I can imagine that perfectly same lyrics & all

Oh yeah I remember the "Freak Like Me" remix ~ I haven't heard it in so long! Yeah, it's very "Any Time, Any Place"-esque.

I'll just keep randomly posting more remixes I love here... ^_^

Please do so :) I wants ya too, part of my reason of creating this was also to hopefully get some alternates I wasn't aware of in my collection, and I wasn't aware of the Shanice 1 or the Jade 1, so please keep posting. I'll post some more too. I got all of the Mary's just about.

I agree with all y'all as far as Mariah being Queen of the Remix, and Mary was pretty much right behind her. I don't think anyone put as much into single releases as they did in the 90s-early00s.

My personal fave of Mary's as far as a vocal rework might be this:

This is a fave too

I kinda wish the mp3 age happened back then. I spent toooooo much money on import albums and singles, most times just for the remixes.

• Upvote 1

I NEVER HEARD THAT ALICIA 1! Thats good

This is 1 of my faves, if for nothing else the background music, Mary wasn't playin wit these alternate mixes, I forgot You Remind Me was her 1st single ever, so she was doing this right from jump, hell even the video was a alternate remix.

like I said this is 1 of my faves, I love this remix WAY more than the original